You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 157>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:16am
Duffy Celtic signing confirmed.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:59am
Mad decision from Duffy, only plausible reason for this is he wants to be part of the 10 in a row team, In fairness he won't win anything with us (alas) and isn't good enough for a top 6 EPL team so to be part of a team like that is a serious accolade 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:03am
Yeah I would have preferred him to stay in the PL but I do understand the attraction of going to Celtic to help assist with a historic ten in a row effort. Whilst it would be better for Ireland to have him playing at a higher level, from his perspective the likes of West Ham and WBA aren't likely to be challenging for honours any time soon so the appeal of joining a team that have a high probability of winning their domestic league is obvious enough.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:11am
Darron Randolph got less criticism for signing a deal to sit on West Ham's bench for the foreseeable future
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:18am
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Mad decision from Duffy, only plausible reason for this is he wants to be part of the 10 in a row team, In fairness he won't win anything with us (alas) and isn't good enough for a top 6 EPL team so to be part of a team like that is a serious accolade 

It's not that mad, wanting to play for the team you support

He'd have been better from an Ireland perspective elsewhere and I'd prefer he had have done that but I admire him for it all the same. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:46am
He is not doing it for the money so you have to give him credit, he wants to win silverware for a club he supports.
That’s not very common these days.

The SPL is not as strong as it was 10-15 years ago and it’s getting worse. He will most definitely be dropping down a few levels.

Olaf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Darron Randolph got less criticism for signing a deal to sit on West Ham's bench for the foreseeable future

Clap
armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

It's not that mad, wanting to play for the team you support

He'd have been better from an Ireland perspective elsewhere and I'd prefer he had have done that but I admire him for it all the same. 

Yeah I'd agree, I can understand it just think he is selling himself sort
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

He is not doing it for the money so you have to give him credit, he wants to win silverware for a club he supports.
That’s not very common these days.

The SPL is not as strong as it was 10-15 years ago and it’s getting worse. He will most definitely be dropping down a few levels.

No league is as strong as it was 15 years ago, comparatively. Ajax were the first team outwith the 'big 5 leagues' to make a semi-final of the Mastercard Cup since PSV in 2005.
Even within that, the number of teams capable of winning those 5 leagues has narrowed and the extremely rich clubs are stockpiling players and that is killing competition.
Of course Celtic are a bit of an anomaly in that they are underachieving for their finances in European terms. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:12am
Somebody needs to manage his twitter or at least transcribe for him. It’s awful to read.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:13pm
[QUOTE=McG]Somebody needs to manage his twitter or at least transcribe for him. It’s awful to read.[/QUOTE

At least you know it's him doing it and not his management company 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:00pm

Unless Duffy was planning to sign for West Ham/West Brom as a bench player, they aren't really comparable situations.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Olaf Olaf wrote:

Clap

To be fair randolph went from the championship club to a PL team and is capable of fighting for a place. Given a chance he might lock down a starting place.

Duffy went from PL to a league that is clearly not very competitive as the team hes joining are looking for 10 in a row.

Doesn't so much ambition for a player of Duffys ability for me.

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 5:44pm
For what it's worth, Duffy's the joint- 4th highest scoring defender in the Premier League over the past two seasons with 6 goals.

Matt Doherty is the second highest scoring defender with 8.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:12am
He is a quality anytime scorer bet for ireland.

Reckon he Will score a good few for celtic as well
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 10:23am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

In the first minute he lost the ball with a horrible touch.
He really is not comfortable on the ball at all. 

He will definitely get a few goals but he is not suited to a team who wants to play out from the back. 

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

He will definitely get a few goals but he is not suited to a team who wants to play out from the back. 

He may or he may not - it all depends on how SK uses him.

Otoh, Duffy's clearly one of those (rare) CB's who knows how to attack a cross in the opposition's box.

Oto, he needs a manager who will concentrate on exploiting that.

In this respect he reminds me very much of Gareth McAuley. To date, Duffy has scored 4 goals in 34 caps i.e. 1 in 9 (approx). McAuley's NI record was almost identical - 9 in 80.

But the key to McAuley is that in an international career stretching over 13 years, he only scored 2 of those in the first 40 games (2005-2011), but 7 in the second 40 (2012-2018.

And the second half of his career coincided with two things: 1. Michael O'Neill took over in 2012, and 2. Ollie Norwood became a regular around the same time (5 caps before 2012, 52 afterwards until retiring in 2016). And Norwood's set pieces were deadly.

Now regardless of his clear preference for progressive, passing football, I'd say SK is far to clever to ignore the value of set pieces - the two should not be contradictory.

But Duffy can only exploit eg Robbie Brady's set-pieces if he's playing (obv!), and it may be that while clearly one of his "better" players, he may not suit SK's preferred style (see eg James McClean?). Might he struggle to get games once SK has bedded into the job?  Do you have any young, ball-playing CB's coming through?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:07pm
That's a great record in fairness.

McAuley has the same amount of goals as George Best.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9293949596 157>
  Share Topic