You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Isn't football all about playing in over hyped league for a mediocre team fighting relegation and making up as much money as possible?

Overhyped league?

Last year all four finalists across the Champions League and the Europa League were English clubs. Overhyped alright. LOL

Celtic supporters can spin it however they want, but playing Hamilton and Livingston is akin to having a kick around in the park when you compare that level to what is in the Premier League. The SPL is an anti-competitive joke league, which has had the same 2 clubs win the title since 1985, and nobody else with a look in.

In that time there have been 9 different winners of the Premier League (formerly Division 1), and English teams have won European trophies on 12 occasions since Aberdeen won the Scottish title in 1985. 

The goal should be to play at the highest level possible. To test yourself against the best players. What good is a trophy that only one other team has won in the last 35 years ffs. From an Irish supporters point of view, staying in the Premier League gives Duffy the chance to play against the highest quality midfielders and strikers. In Scotland, the best striker by a distance is already playing for Celtic. 
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:46pm
Leading celtic defence for a 10 in a row season for me far outweighs a bit part player for mid table at best PL club. Also a chance for him to play CL.

Unless there is a firm PL move available for him then why not . He does well he will be back in PL soon enough 

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Aug 2020 at 4:46pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Leading celtic defence for a 10 in a row season for me far outweighs a bit part player for mid table at best PL club. Also a chance for him to play CL.

Unless there is a firm PL move available for him then why not . He does well he will be back in PL soon enough 

I don’t know about far outweighing but I can certainly see why Duffy might want to go there especially on loan for a year for a different challenge the prospect of CL football and 10 in a row. Trophies are still trophies even though obviously England is a higher standard of League. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I don’t know about far outweighing but I can certainly see why Duffy might want to go there especially on loan for a year for a different challenge the prospect of CL football and 10 in a row. Trophies are still trophies even though obviously England is a higher standard of League. 

Comparable to this season just gone for him at club level I think leadinh the celtic back line would definitely be a better choice. Being where he is from, even greater attraction. Loan would be perfect 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:52pm
Agree with what has been said above, looking at this from purely and Ireland perspective having him stay in the Premier League would be far more preferable. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Neil Lennon confirmed Celtic interest.

Would hope Duffy is smart enough to stay away from SPL. Majority of teams in the league at English League 1 level. 

He is still capable of playing in the Premier League. 

Luckily enough he would be singing for Celtic who are a better side than his current side.

cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:55pm
Brighton moved the goalposts so to speak ré the loan fee. Duffy told them Celtic was his preferred option. Supposedly signing early next week, fingers crossed. Be great signing for the Bhoys 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:56pm
I can see both arguments. Maybe for Ireland players playing in the PL the more the merrier but if he goes to Celtic strong chance they play Champions League football is it great for Ireland to have a lad playing CL football as well? Can make the case for both.

I can a 100% see it happening as stated above he would have a connection to Celtic so he might want to go there. West Ham would be the best PL move for him would play for them for 3/4 years and it’s long odds on they will be in PL in that time where it’s long odds on West Brom will go down in the next year or two.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Would hope Duffy is smart enough to stay away from SPL. Majority of teams in the league at English League 1 level. 

Luckily enough he would be singing for Celtic who are a better side than his current side.

Are they? Based on what?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 5:06pm

People talk about 10 in a row as if there's any prestige to it, literally no one other than Celtic fans thinks it's a big deal. Celtic essentially won a two team league where the 2nd team been missing (either literally or essentially) for 8 years. Last year was the first time since they got back into the SPL that Rangers made even a half-decent attempt at challenging Celtic, and they still fell well short. Celtic will not have overachieved by winning 10 in a row, they will literally just have performed to expectation.
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 5:15pm

Are they? Based on what?

Based on my impressive football knowledge
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 5:19pm
I think he would do well at both. I can see the attraction of playing for Celtic in a big season, winning trophies, playing in Europe. As an Ireland fan, maybe this would help improve him with regards to his ability on the ball as Celtic dominate possession in scotland, just a thought. not sure he'd get that at a lower level premier league team
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 5:23pm

Are they? Based on what?

Based on my impressive football knowledge

I think Brighton would beat them. Massively superior at GK and across back 4. Superior in midfield with Bissouma, Propper and now Lallana. Elyounoussi looked an embarrassment in the Premier League. Edouard and Forrest the only positions where Celtic could claim to have the superior players.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm
A bigger issue for Duffy (than where he goes next) from an Ireland perspective is he may be surplus sooner than later in Kenny's back-line, due to his limited skill on the ball in a team playing out from the back.
I wish him well and love him playing for us, but his time as a guaranteed starter may soon be in question.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 5:37pm

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Isn't football all about playing in over hyped league for a mediocre team fighting relegation and making up as much money as possible?

Overhyped league?

Last year all four finalists across the Champions League and the Europa League were English clubs. Overhyped alright. LOL

Celtic supporters can spin it however they want, but playing Hamilton and Livingston is akin to having a kick around in the park when you compare that level to what is in the Premier League. The SPL is an anti-competitive joke league, which has had the same 2 clubs win the title since 1985, and nobody else with a look in.

In that time there have been 9 different winners of the Premier League (formerly Division 1), and English teams have won European trophies on 12 occasions since Aberdeen won the Scottish title in 1985. 

The goal should be to play at the highest level possible. To test yourself against the best players. What good is a trophy that only one other team has won in the last 35 years ffs. From an Irish supporters point of view, staying in the Premier League gives Duffy the chance to play against the highest quality midfielders and strikers. In Scotland, the best striker by a distance is already playing for Celtic. 

It is over hyped.

This year we have a 1 out of 4 of the EPL teams in the quarter final and the EPL were comfortably beaten by a French side.

With the French and German teams making up the final 4 teams in the competition.

The EL has Spanish and Italian teams in the final.

I'm fully aware that the EPL is a more competitive league that the SPL, I'm not disputing that.

But Duffy has played there all his career and has nothing to show for it.

Playing for Celtic will give him an opportunity to potentially play in the CL, EL and win some trophies, something that Duffy has never achieved.

Since it's an alleged 1 year loan deal, he can go back and play in the greatest league in the world next year.

Edited by horsebox - 21 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:02pm
It is a smart move from Brighton.

Loaning Duffy to a non rival (and a club he is happy to go to) for a year.

Given that Potter will likely be gone by the end of next season, having Duffy available for the next manager is clever. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:04pm
Not trying to be too green tinted about it but anytime I've seen Duffy for Brighton this season, I thought he played very well. He's unlucky to have lost his place imo. 

I'd be shocked if Kenny didn't have him as a starter irrespective of his ability on the ball. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Duffy at Celtic but only either on a loan this season or permanently in 3/4 years as he's too good for the SPL yet imo. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 6:05pm
If he's given a guarantee from Lennon that he will going in as number centre half, its a no brainer
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 157>
  Share Topic