Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 157>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

so why the f*ck did Celtic hire him if even armchair analysts like ourselves knew he wouldn't suit their system?

Panic buy.

Given that Celtic play with an extremely high line, dominate possession game in game out in the SPL etc the opposition just resort to going direct against them to beat the press, which obviously is a nightmare scenario for a slow centre back who lacks speed and agility.

Some folks on here touted Newcastle, WBA, Burnley etc to name but a few as potential good moves for him and they would have been right.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

He is overweight. At 5kg min. 

He has been a problem under Mick too. He was constantly sitting too deep which meant the mid dropped deep to close the gap. 

Yeah, seems to be carrying a bit round the neck/chin area
Too many pints recently by the look of him
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

So do we have to go back to hoofball now to accom our best player?

We accom him by playing him up front with Connolly playing off him.
Similar to the mighty Quinn and Robbie I think they can form a great little and large partnership.

Ah now, c'mon. Duffy's good, but he's no Gary Doherty.

I mean, the Ginger Pele only took 34 caps to score four goals, whereas Duffy needed 35.
OysterCatcher View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OysterCatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 1:57pm
I would fully expect Duffy to continue playing for the national team purely on the basis of the current Ireland manager being incapable of making tough decisions - why else play that midfield we've had in the last few games.
Duffy had good, quick defenders around him at Brighton, and as we know he's lethal in the box with his head so that also covered a lot of his sins, ability wise when he was there. 
He's now playing in a team that is expected to get forward and dominate teams, and he clearly doesn't belong in a team hunting silverware. 
in fairness, Lennon has been a disaster since he went back to parkhead and his recruitment has been dundalk-esque in his missteps. 

Edited by OysterCatcher - 06 Nov 2020 at 1:58pm
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 2:21pm

so why the f*ck did Celtic hire him if even armchair analysts like ourselves knew he wouldn't suit their system?

1. Irish
2. available on the relative cheap
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

1. Irish
2. available on the relative cheap

An ironically long history of Irish flops at Parkhead. 
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by OysterCatcher OysterCatcher wrote:

I would fully expect Duffy to continue playing for the national team purely on the basis of the current Ireland manager being incapable of making tough decisions - why else play that midfield we've had in the last few games.

It's not like we have many options for midfield. Pretty much all of our players are crap, apart from two full backs with the jury still out on one of them. 
It's a depressing time and we're pinning our hopes on some of our forwards succeeding but let's face it they usually don't! We haven't had a top player in years and years. 
I think we're turning into a 1990s Wales type team, complete lack of talent and hardly any hope. 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 6:49pm

I think we're turning into a 1990s Wales type team, complete lack of talent and hardly any hope. 

Wales had a half decent team in the 90s, just a terrible manager

we haven't got a Ryan Giggs for example. or even goalscorers on the level of Mark Hughes or Hartson
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 6:56pm

[DIV]I think we're turning into a 1990s Wales type team, complete lack of talent and hardly any hope. [/DIV]

[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Wales had a half decent team in the 90s, just a terrible manager[/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]we haven't got a Ryan Giggs for example. or even goalscorers on the level of Mark Hughes or Hartson[/DIV]

Speed was a great ball winning midfielder too
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:03pm

Wales had a half decent team in the 90s, just a terrible manager

we haven't got a Ryan Giggs for example. or even goalscorers on the level of Mark Hughes or Hartson

As well as those 3 players, Southall, Ratcliffe, Saunders and Rush all played into the 1990's, while Speed debuted in 1990, and Coleman in 1992:
https://htwww.rsssf.com/tablesw/wal-intres90.html

So whatever else it was, Wales' problem were hardly a lack of talent.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:39pm
Yeah I forgot about Speed. Which I haven't actually done since the 90s incidentally... I just mean the doldrums and insignificant which seems to be where we're at.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 10:48am
Duffy dropped from the Celtic team.

For his own good to be honest. It's a shame Celtic don't have a reserve side he could play in to try to get some kind of confidence or form back.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Duffy dropped from the Celtic team.

For his own good to be honest. It's a shame Celtic don't have a reserve side he could play in to try to get some kind of confidence or form back.

If you can't get confidence in a celtic first team in the Scottish league, then I'd worry for him. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 10:52am
I am worried for him. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:03am
Getting dropped by Kenny would rubber stamp that worry.

Genuinely think it's on the cards. Maybe not this month. But next March could see changes ahead.

Dara O'Shea being lined up as his replacement.

Molumby will be a shoe in come March. He'll be back at millwall or something come Christmas.

If Troy Parrott can start knocking in a couple of goals he'll walk into that centre forward position with McGoldrick now retired. The closest thing we have to McGoldrick upfront.

xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:04am
Hopefully he'll be back in form before long. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:28am
When you go from a regular Premier League starter to a defender who is stinking out the Scottish league and has now been dropped. Hard to believe how far he has fallen.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:41am
I think its more than just confidence, his fitness is also questionable.

He's used to playing in very defensive teams and that suits him but when you need to play a higher line his positional sense is very poor, he hasn't got pace at all, can't track the runner in behind him. All in all I think he's a poor defender sadly. 

Oshea starts again today and I see him as Duffys eventual successor. (Maybe next year) But also Nathan Collins is starting again too and looks to be improving fast.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 157>
  Share Topic