Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 103104105106107 157>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:29am
I think if Duffy's international career is going to be prolonged for another 4-5 years the only way I can see him being an automatic choice under Kenny is in a back 3. 

I do like him mind, he owes Ireland nothing and has been a very good servant when many hid he never shirked a challenge. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:33am
When you look at it is there anyone who would be better that Duffy at centre half at the moment ..

Also you have to think what he can do at the other end of the pitch as well .

I am still in the Duffy camp for now .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:47am
Duffy is a starter for us no question, he's experienced, in the air he will win all his 50/50s (actually he'll win all his 90/10s in favour of the opposition) if ireland are set up to hold a lead he's your man.

However in terms of defending, he's solid if we defend deep (edge of the box) but when asked to defend a little higher up the field, he's a poor defender.

For Brighton  he was asked to defend higher up the field when Potter joined, he's now asked to play a higher line at Celtic.

If Kenny wants to play a higher line, I feel he's going to struggle.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I think if Duffy's international career is going to be prolonged for another 4-5 years the only way I can see him being an automatic choice under Kenny is in a back 3. 

I do like him mind, he owes Ireland nothing and has been a very good servant when many hid he never shirked a challenge. 

Exactly some fans seems to have forgotten how well Duffy has done for Ireland in the past. 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Exactly some fans seems to have forgotten how well Duffy has done for Ireland in the past

It doesn't mean you can't be critical of the present or ask questions for the future. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Exactly some fans seems to have forgotten how well Duffy has done for Ireland in the past

It doesn't mean you can't be critical of the present or ask questions for the future. 

Fair enough but in the main Duffy has done well for Ireland and I sometime fell that because his form has not been good for his club side this can be overlooked. 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 11:40am

Fair enough but in the main Duffy has done well for Ireland and I sometime fell that because his form has not been good for his club side this can be overlooked. 

Maybe in the past when we played a different system but it becomes more relevant when both his club side and Ireland are looking to play the same way and he's been caught out by that a few times. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:04pm
I think the question that needs answering is, will Duffy be able to perform for ireland like he did under O'Neil and Mccarthy if Kenny wants to play a more possession based system with a higher defensive line.

Under MON or Mccarthy we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation as Duffy would play his game.

Under Kenny, he's being asked to play a different type.of football
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think the question that needs answering is, will Duffy be able to perform for ireland like he did under O'Neil and Mccarthy if Kenny wants to play a more possession based system with a higher defensive line.

Under MON or Mccarthy we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation as Duffy would play his game.

Duffy and Egan are unquestionably our best centre-halves. An international manager, and especially one with a small, limited pool of players, has to cut his cloth accordingly.

Kenny can't buy players to suit his preferred system. His job is to find a workable, effective system and style of play that get the best out of the  players he has.

If he can't do that then he willl have failed.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Duffy and Egan are unquestionably our best centre-halves. An international manager, and especially one with a small, limited pool of players, has to cut his cloth accordingly.

Kenny can't buy players to suit his preferred system. His job is to find a workable, effective system and style of play that get the best out of the  players he has.

Well then we may need to revert back to a defensive long ball approach... 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:39pm

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Well then we may need to revert back to a defensive long ball approach... 

Not necessarily.

It's easy to criticise individual players and call from their removal from the team, but it always comes back to the same question; 'who do we have who's better?'.

Long and Lenihan are hardly pacy, ball-playing centre-backs, either.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 30 Oct 2020 at 12:41pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:41pm

Have to agree with you LF , but as it has been said Duffy is not suited to the Kenny style of play but he is still a very good footballer .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:47pm
Why do we have to do that?

All Duffy has to do is keep it simple and play the easy pass, or maybe get the 3 midfielders to come out of hiding and show for the ball.

It's about playing to your strengths.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:56pm
The system rules. If Duffy or anyone doesn't fit, then so be it. If the system exposes a player's weakness more often than not, and there's no way to circumvent this in order to accommodate said player,  then tough decisions have to be made.

To flip it on it's head style wise. Jack Charlton comes in and has no time for Liam Brady's instinct to be on the ball in (what Jack perceived) dangerous areas of the pitch. Too risky. Get it into the final third. Back to front. Horses for courses. Duffy would have been a pig in sh!t in a Charlton team.

We have to accept (like Liam Brady) that the manager's vision will rule, and if the player is a liability to the system, then unfortunately your game time will be limited.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

All Duffy has to do is keep it simple and play the easy pass, or maybe get the 3 midfielders to come out of hiding and show for the ball.

And hiding your weaknesses. It's another reason why 5-3-2 with wing backs would most suit the players at our disposal as you could have two more ball playing CBs either side of Duffy.

It looks like we're set on the 4-3-3 for the foreseeable however so as you say Duffy needs to focus on keeping it simple and cut out those awful cross-field pass attempts he's partial to.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 1:10pm

What about when he doesn't have the ball? In my opinion he was caught out for the goal in Bulgaria and the home goal against Finland - It wasn't all his fault. 
I'm not being critical for the sake of it - Maybe there is a chance with good coaching he can adapt. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 1:12pm
To be honest in possession i think Duffy will be fine playing it short and keeping it simple. He's solid in the air and has strength to hold off forward players in opposition corners and free kicks.

My concern is when the opposition play the ball in behind him. I hope I'm proved wrong but ive seen him struggle to track the runner in behind him a few times in the games he's played for Ireland and celtic. (Maybe he's just been rusty)

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 1:33pm

What about when he doesn't have the ball? In my opinion he was caught out for the goal in Bulgaria and the home goal against Finland - It wasn't all his fault. 
I'm not being critical for the sake of it - Maybe there is a chance with good coaching he can adapt. 

Agreed. I'm not as concerned about Duffy when we're in possession. Actually, quite impressed by how good he's been most of the time. But pushing up and and playing a high line is unfortunately what exposes his achilles heel.... pace. 

Opposition teams will jump on this, and done well it will knock our confidence, forcing our back 4 deeper, nullifying our press. Also, the further back our defence is, we are going to struggle to get the ball out, as we still don't have THAT midfielder who will take a game by the scruff of the neck, dropping deep and linking the defence and midfield.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 103104105106107 157>
  Share Topic