Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunderland Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13221323132413251326 1451>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Grigg was a bit of a flash in the pan and that annoying song made him famous, was he not
He’s barely featured for NI

I think the point is that Grigg needs the team to be built round him to be at his most effective. NI never had the support players to allow Michael O'Neill that luxury, every player has to contribute to his maximum.

And if the rumours are to be believed, Grigg was never completely committed to the cause, not because of any problems with his attitude, but rather because his missus wasn't at all happy on his (ahem) playing away on international duty! Wink

(Could be just a rumour, mind)

“Your sex is on fire” may have been a more apt song, are you suggesting?
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:45pm

Grigg was a bit of a flash in the pan and that annoying song made him famous, was he not

I think the point is that Grigg needs the team to be built round him to be at his most effective. NI never had the support players to allow Michael O'Neill that luxury, every player has to contribute to his maximum.

And if the rumours are to be believed, Grigg was never completely committed to the cause, not because of any problems with his attitude, but rather because his missus wasn't at all happy on his (ahem) playing away on international duty! Wink

(Could be just a rumour, mind)

“Your sex is on fire” may have been a more apt song, are you suggesting?
He would surely then have been ruled out with a long-term injury?
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:54pm

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Re Blanchflower I'm sure there was a quote from him when Spurs played at Roker Park a in a fa cup  when he was convinced that a microphone was being used because the crowd noise was so loud!

No doubt, but that will have been this game:

Look at the circumstances. This was an FA Cup game at a time when the cup was nearly as important as the league. And it wasn't any old cup game, it was a Quarter Final against the greatest ever Spurs team in their pomp, who were attracting record crowds wherever they went. With the League (effectively) won by Christmas, everyone wanted to see whether they could be the first team to complete the Double in the 20th century, hence the officially reported 61k crowd at Roker. (I wonder how many more were actually there?).

Meanwhile Sunderland, who were then in the old 2nd Division, were enjoying a great cup run, beating the mighty Arsenal 2-1 at home in the 3rd Round in front of 58k, then Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in the 4th. Next they went to Norwich City, who somehow squeezed 42k into Carrow Road to see their team beaten 1-0 by the visitors.

I'm quite prepared to accept that that context led to Roker then producing an atmosphere against Spurs like Blanchflower never experienced before or since.

But I wonder what it was like when eg they drew 2-2 at home to Lincoln City that same season?

I'm sure the Lincoln city match was a very different atmosphere to the Spurs fa cup tie.

I was merely pointing out Danny Blanchflowers observations of the Roker Roar from his  experience of it.

Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 8:44pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Might be of interest DM, from today's Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/14/my-favourite-game-sunderland-v-chelsea-1992-fa-cup-replay

Excellent piece thanks.

I remember it as if it was yesterday and the celebrations.

Beer
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:52am

It was the song of the Euros for many and I don't think he played once LOL
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:55am
Similar with Shane Long. He was on a good run of form before the Euros. His name starts being used in that song by Irish fans, didn't score in the tournament and was on a miserable run for a long time after the competition.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Similar with Shane Long. He was on a good run of form before the Euros. His name starts being used in that song by Irish fans, didn't score in the tournament and was on a miserable run for a long time after the competition.
It is hard to blame them, it must induce the same feelings of despair in them as it does in everybody else.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

It was the song of the Euros for many and I don't think he played once LOL

I suppose it would be hard to play with 1st degree burns
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:33am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Started watching Sunderland til I die. My opinion on the club has completely changed. 

I never liked Sunderland for some reason, not sure why tbh. You can see how passionate their fans are and how much the club means to them. Obviously you only see snippets of the games in the programme but they were absolutely awful when relegated from the Premier League. Grayson appeared clueless but he didn’t have much to work with. Coleman was more or less the same. McGeady made a comment which pretty much summed up the club. We just lost 3-0 at home and everyone is having a laugh on the training pitch. The manager hasn’t said anything to us.

Hope they do well now when football resumes.

Just finished Season one and I'm the same. Coleman seemed to be loved by the non-playing staff and by the supporters but McGeady definitely wasn't fond of him. They couldn't defend for sh*t though and seemed to chop and change keepers every week

The city/people seem very similar to Liverpool in ways, would that be right? Looking forward to Season 2 now. 
Some people just deserve a slap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Started watching Sunderland til I die. My opinion on the club has completely changed. 

I never liked Sunderland for some reason, not sure why tbh. You can see how passionate their fans are and how much the club means to them. Obviously you only see snippets of the games in the programme but they were absolutely awful when relegated from the Premier League. Grayson appeared clueless but he didn’t have much to work with. Coleman was more or less the same. McGeady made a comment which pretty much summed up the club. We just lost 3-0 at home and everyone is having a laugh on the training pitch. The manager hasn’t said anything to us.

Just finished Season one and I'm the same. Coleman seemed to be loved by the non-playing staff and by the supporters but McGeady definitely wasn't fond of him. They couldn't defend for sh*t though and seemed to chop and change keepers every week

The city/people seem very similar to Liverpool in ways, would that be right? Looking forward to Season 2 now. 
Yeah, Everton's support would be similar alright. Sunderland has the best support in England, I reckon. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 11:48am

Sunderland have announced a new CEO Jim Rodwell ( no he's no relation 😄) 

Let's hope we're not making a ROD for our own back
Big smile

Suggests that the rumoured takeover is not happening anytime soon?

Edited by Double Maxim - 22 Apr 2020 at 1:35pm
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:33pm
Just finished season 2 of STID, decent viewing.

Initially thought that Charlie fella was a prat, but he was probably correct in a lot of things he was trying to change. Certainly seemed like a culture of no one taking responsibility. Small things like staff leaving at 4.59pm, I know personally I hate it when I see people in my work running out the door early, especially when there is work to be done.

Hard to judge on a fly on the wall documentary but the lad Baldwin at the back looked woeful.

I have relatives in the North East and are all passionate football fans. Id like to see clubs in that area do well., as it only ever seems like doom and gloom coming from there.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Initially thought that Charlie fella was a prat, but he was probably correct in a lot of things he was trying to change. Certainly seemed like a culture of no one taking responsibility. Small things like staff leaving at 4.59pm, I know personally I hate it when I see people in my work running out the door early, especially when there is work to be done.

Hard to judge on a fly on the wall documentary but the lad Baldwin at the back looked woeful.

I have relatives in the North East and are all passionate football fans. Id like to see clubs in that area do well., as it only ever seems like doom and gloom coming from there.

Thanks

What part of the north east do they live in?
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Thanks

What part of the north east do they live in?

They are from Middlesbrough. Been to the Riverside a few times. Love the fans passion, despite them having little to shout about. Was at Stadium of Light for the Celtic friendly couple years ago, it was a great day out.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:07pm

I've got relatives in Stockton.

The posh part that is.

Big smile
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Yeah, Everton's support would be similar alright. Sunderland has the best support in England, I reckon. 

Praise indeed re the Sunderland support pM you certainly know your football.

Cool

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 2:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13221323132413251326 1451>
  Share Topic