You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunderland Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13121313131413151316 1451>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 5:21pm
Joel Lynch out of the Ipswich game through injury Tom Flanagan will probably be his replacement.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

SunlunBhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunlunBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 4:02pm
should beat Ipswich tomorrow Parkinson has turned it round should be in contention for February Manager of the month 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 6:02pm
The fatal mistake he made was letting McGeady go . The most naturally gifted player in the league by a mile . The hard grafting journeymen that are left might make the play-offs but more likely it's going to be another soul destroying season in the third division . I'd back Charlton to stay in the Championship now . As for signing that waster Lafferty instead of pushing the boat out for Liam Boyce....another monumental error unfortunately .
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

The fatal mistake he made was letting McGeady go . The most naturally gifted player in the league by a mile . The hard grafting journeymen that are left might make the play-offs but more likely it's going to be another soul destroying season in the third division . I'd back Charlton to stay in the Championship now . As for signing that waster Lafferty instead of pushing the boat out for Liam Boyce....another monumental error unfortunately .
Yea thought it was a mistake not getting Liam Boyce it's a major worry where the goals are going to come from.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 11:14am
Good buzz about Sunderland today its International Fans day.

There are SAFC supporters over for the Ipswich game from Taiwan Ireland Bulgaria Italy Denmark Sweden Germany Canada USA Portugal Holland and Malta.

Loads over from Cork and Dublin looking forward to meeting them in about an hour.

Handshake
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 12:17pm
Sounds class
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Sounds class
160 over for it  fans related events going on in the city too.
SunlunBhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunlunBhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 1:28pm
having a pint with some boys from cork great to folks from all over the world supporting Sunderland
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 5:43pm
Classic game of two half's Sunderland struggled first half much better second half massive win.
kevblackcat12 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevblackcat12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 10:13pm
A Win is a Win and an important 3 points we will take it
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by kevblackcat12 kevblackcat12 wrote:

A Win is a Win and an important 3 points we will take it
Absolutely spot on.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 3:43pm
I'll be the first one to admit that I felt the club needed to get rid of Parkinson, fair play to him for turning it around because it looked extremely unlikely.

I dread to think what will happen if Sunderland don't get promoted this season, another year in League 1 would be a disaster.  
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I dread to think what will happen if Sunderland don't get promoted this season, another year in League 1 would be a disaster.  

I can see all the reasons why that would be so, but there are other reasons why it need not be.

For the Championship is by far the hardest division to get out of if you don't have parachute money (which I believe runs out after this season for Sunderland).

For in order to be competitive, you have to pay Championship wages and if a buying club, Championship transfer fees. And even for a well-supported club like Sunderland, after 2 or 3 seasons that can really screw you on FFP.

And of course if you don't pay the wages and fees etc, at best you struggle to avoid relegation, which makes it hard to keep/attract players, as well as hurting crowds; at worst, you get relegated again.

If investment from the Board is there to sustain them, it might not be the worst outcome to spend another season in L1 while Parkinson turns the club round further (i.e. beds-in the youngsters and recent signings etc), whilst the Board* sorts things behind the scenes.

That way they could be much better placed to compete properly and sustainably at the higher level.

* - Of course all that is dependent upon their having the vision, organisation, patience and aptitude for such a process, which I'm entirely unqualified to judge. Anyone?

Edited by Territorial - 09 Feb 2020 at 4:38pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I can see all the reasons why that would be so, but there are other reasons why it need not be.

For the Championship is by far the hardest division to get out of if you don't have parachute money (which I believe runs out after this season for Sunderland).

For in order to be competitive, you have to pay Championship wages and if a buying club, Championship transfer fees. And even for a well-supported club like Sunderland, after 2 or 3 seasons that can really screw you on FFP.

And of course if you don't pay the wages and fees etc, at best you struggle to avoid relegation, which makes it hard to keep/attract players, as well as hurting crowds; at worst, you get relegated again.

If investment from the Board is there to sustain them, it might not be the worst outcome to spend another season in L1 while Parkinson turns the club round further (i.e. beds-in the youngsters and recent signings etc), whilst the Board* sorts things behind the scenes.

That way they could be much better placed to compete properly and sustainably at the higher level.

* - Of course all that is dependent upon their having the vision, organisation, patience and aptitude for such a process, which I'm entirely unqualified to judge. Anyone?
I'd agree with GD on this I feel Sunderland need to be promoted this season regardless of who becomes our new owners.Any club that gets the second biggest attendance in the UK over the weekend needs to be in at least the championship.

Edited by Double Maxim - 09 Feb 2020 at 4:49pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 5:01pm
I think most Sunderland fans would be more than happy to consolidate in the Championship next season (if we got promoted for argument sake) and didn't spend beyond our means chasing the dream of making it back to the PL.

The Championship is where we need to implement our long term plan, you don't need to spend tens of millions or crazy wages to stay up in that division. We went down with zero fight the last time we were in the Championship, a general acceptance from the then chairman and a complete clusterf**k of unplanned and desperately poor signings to basically fill a squad.

As of now looking at Sunderland's squad, the difference between this squad and the one of two years is that the players at the club right now are there because they care and want to be at the club you can see it when they win a game or how they celebrate (which has been rare for Sunderland fans to see given the amount of mercenaries we have had over the years) that with 3 or 4 shrewd loan signings, a few experienced heads with Championship experience in key positions and maybe a few quid to spend on transfers fee's we could be competitive next season (if we got up)

Our owner wants out anyway, I have no doubt being in the Championship would appeal to perspective new owners/investors more so than in League 1 so even in that regard it's fairly crucial we get up sooner rather than later.

Edited by Green Devil - 09 Feb 2020 at 5:03pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 5:26pm
Re. 'DM' and 'GD' - Fair enough.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 5:29pm

I think most Sunderland fans would be more than happy to consolidate in the Championship next season (if we got promoted for argument sake) and didn't spend beyond our means chasing the dream of making it back to the PL.

The Championship is where we need to implement our long term plan, you don't need to spend tens of millions or crazy wages to stay up in that division. We went down with zero fight the last time we were in the Championship, a general acceptance from the then chairman and a complete clusterf**k of unplanned and desperately poor signings to basically fill a squad.

As of now looking at Sunderland's squad, the difference between this squad and the one of two years is that the players at the club right now are there because they care and want to be at the club you can see it when they win a game or how they celebrate (which has been rare for Sunderland fans to see given the amount of mercenaries we have had over the years) that with 3 or 4 shrewd loan signings, a few experienced heads with Championship experience in key positions and maybe a few quid to spend on transfers fee's we could be competitive next season (if we got up)

Our owner wants out anyway, I have no doubt being in the Championship would appeal to perspective new owners/investors more so than in League 1 so even in that regard it's fairly crucial we get up sooner rather than later.
Exactly a championship club is much more attractive to potential new investors than s league one outfit.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Re. 'DM' and 'GD' - Fair enough.
 Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13121313131413151316 1451>
  Share Topic