You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's for dinner tonight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 54555657>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 4:26am
That’s a great page. All the recipes are very simple too.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 12:05pm
octopus ( well last night ) 

Edited by Newryrep - 07 Jan 2023 at 12:05pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 10:43am
Don't want to clog up the losing weight thread, but tried one of those slow cooker ckicken chorizo pasta dishes yesterday, and it just tasted so bland.
Feel it's the slow cooker in general, the meals just taste a bit sh*te. Maybe it might be better for something like a soup.
The dark side.. And the light
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 11:00am
Sometimes you need to cook things over a high head to bring out the flavour.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 11:26am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Don't want to clog up the losing weight thread, but tried one of those slow cooker ckicken chorizo pasta dishes yesterday, and it just tasted so bland.
Feel it's the slow cooker in general, the meals just taste a bit sh*te. Maybe it might be better for something like a soup.
We went through a slow cooker phase and tbh it's sh*te. Nothing beats a good aul bit of heat from the hob. Slow cooker very convenient but often it just turns out muck.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 12:48pm
Ive cooked various dishes in the SC and have eaten others I didn’t cook from the SC and everything was very tasty, cant remember one that was poor. The meat falls apart and having cooked in its own juices for hours is so tasty. 

It could be down to the stock or herbs/spices or lack of. The SC is one of the best things to sit in my kitchenClap

Edited by Sham157 - 10 Jan 2023 at 12:50pm
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 12:52pm
Bought a SC last year and it's still in it's box in the press Cool

Any recipe recommendations?
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

I usually keep it simple enough with the meat you want be it beef, chicken, pork, ham and stock and whatever veg you want, maybe some baby spuds. Season with herbs spices to your taste. Id usually leave on low for 8 hours but as mentioned above, some things are a better at high for 4 hours. Little bit of trial and error in that regard as everyone is different.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Best place for it if you ask me.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 1:09pm
Alcohol in cooking works well in a slow cooker. Herself makes a great beef and Guinness stew that's great over mash spuds.

Cut of meat is important too, needs to be a non prime, less lean cut to get the best out of them.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Alcohol in cooking works well in a slow cooker. Herself makes a great beef and Guinness stew that's great over mash spuds.

Cut of meat is important too, needs to be a non prime, less lean cut to get the best out of them.
drop of red or a can of stout and also instead of stock for the likes of a ham, try a can of cokeClap

Edited by Sham157 - 10 Jan 2023 at 1:11pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 2:31pm
A Dutch oven or an Instant Pot will make your slow cooker redundant. You can hit higher heats which are good for thickening sauces and boiling off excess liquid. I find with too many sc recipes it requires adding a thickening agent at the end or else the meat comes out too wet. It does a job, but other items are better.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 3:05pm
SC are decent for stews and one pot type of meals. 
But I wouldn’t do  much else in them. Some folk putting roast beef into them🧐
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 8:27pm
You can cook loads of tasty meals in 30-40minutes. I'm cooking a lot of Thai food at the minute. That's about 30mins usually. Same with a lot of Asian food. I have some chicken defrosting now and I have no plan what to cook, but I'll just google a recipe and within a few mins I'll be making it.

You need to have the ingredients to hand which most people wouldn't have. But a visit to the Asian supermarket and you'd have them and they'd last a good while if you're only cooking a dish the odd time.

These will always come up in Asian recipes.
Soy sauce.
Fish sauce (squid brand)
Red Curry (for Thai cooking)
Oyster sauce (don't buy just use chicken/veg/beef stock)
Sesame Oil (small bottle)
Coconut milk

Maybe 
Rice wine/vinegar. But you can substitute it with normal black and white vinegar 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Cabs88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabs88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:01pm

Was always an air fryer fan. Every home should have one. But bought the ninja before Christmas. A game changer
Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

A Dutch oven or an Instant Pot will make your slow cooker redundant. You can hit higher heats which are good for thickening sauces and boiling off excess liquid. I find with too many sc recipes it requires adding a thickening agent at the end or else the meat comes out too wet. It does a job, but other items are better.

Wait a minute. There’s two types of Dutch ovens?
El Puto Amo
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Maybe 
Rice wine/vinegar. But you can substitute it with normal black and white vinegar 

Wtf recipes are you reading 

Balsamic can be substituted for rice wine vinegar
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

SC are decent for stews and one pot type of meals. 
But I wouldn’t do  much else in them. Some folk putting roast beef into them🧐
Have done a roast beef in it a fair few times. Absolutely delicious. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 54555657>
  Share Topic