You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russia vs Slovakia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:18pm
The result was a wee bit of an upset but in a way it throws the group open as results against the head usually do. But it will all be for naught if we don't beat Andorra.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Sponsored Links

PropagandhiŽ View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PropagandhiŽ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:19pm
Russia 1 - 0 Slovakia

Slovakia caused a major upset this afternoon when they travelled to Moscow and defeated the Group B favourites Russia 1-0 to upset predictions in Ireland's group of the UEFA 2012 Championship qualifying series.

Slovakia scored the critically important goal in the 27th minute of the match through Miroslav Stoch and while Russia were on top for much of the game afterwards they failed to claim an equaliser.

Stoch cut into the Russia defence from the left wing and hammered a right-foot shot high into the far corner for a goal that was calculated to inspire.

Manager Dick Advocaat declared himself happy with the return when he guided Russia for the first time in their opening match in the qualifying series and they defeated Andorra 2-0 in Andorra.

They came back strongly against Slovakia as they sought an equalising goal. They had the ball in the net in the second half but their claims were correctly disallowed because of an offside decision.

The result should be a huge incentive for Ireland for it confirms that Russia, who are going through a period of transition, may not be as strong as was originally feared.

Slovakia competed in the World Cup finals in South Africa in June and they showed the benefits of regular matches together. Their win over Russia meant they went to the top of the table in Group B, a position Ireland can take from them if they succeed in defeating Andorra by more than one goal.

Slovakia won their opening game of the tournament when they scored a goal in added time to defeat Macedonia 1-0.

dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:27pm
means beating russia is a big result for us then!
put em under pressure!
jon'o View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon'o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:35pm
We could top the group tonight lads!! Wink
dunloybhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunloybhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:36pm
DAM RIGHT, A GOOD 5 GOAL TANNING AND WERE LANDED
put em under pressure!
deisedevil View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deisedevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 2:01pm

Edited by deisedevil - 07 Sep 2010 at 2:01pm
simon View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 4:05pm
Ups what a problem turned up.I have to go collect my money to BoyleTongue
Our coach knew well why he wanted to play Russians early.Advoccat doesnt know his players yet.We were bit lucky but i dont care.I was expecting our second goal in the second half and bit easier game after that.But we are really missing Sestak and Vittek.Skrtel was outstanding today, Stoch kept them busy at back and Hamsik was everywhere.
My view is that its going to be harder agianst Ireland cos they never will send 3 strikers at same time on the pitch and never open play as Russians did.Its going to be so hard to create any chances.And it might take only one.
But there is Armenia before that and Ireland v Russia where we would like to see a draw.
We have a great team now which know how to win tough matches.
SVK - NI 2:1
SVK - POL 2:1 ...0:1 5mins. to go
CZE - SVK 1:2
NI - SVK 0:2
POL - SVK 0:1
ITA - SVK 2:3
dont count San Marino
Draws: SVK - CZE 2:2
            NZ - SVK 1:1
Lost twice against Slovenia and once to Paraguay and WC finalist Netherlands.

Arhat123 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arhat123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 4:16pm
simon - I see Vitek, he miss, but Sestak is out of form and who would be benched instead him? - stoch,hamsik,jendrisek or sign off weiss?As a winger is Sestak poor in one to one play and static, hamsik, stoch working hard as you told, they are everywhere and Weiss with more game minutes in Rangers he will improve during the season. We play after october games, in next year march-jun against Andora and autumn rest of the games, till this time youngsters will more mature, somebody new could be added who jump in and we could be far better team, but without sestak he will almost thirty etc... Today Holosko if showed more quality in combination with head, we could win 3-0. But in situations two to two, two to one in many situations he was very poor. Holosko is especialy runner, he work hard with aggression, this is very opposite against Sestak who no working hard enough and is too static. Vitek know lock a ball when we need and play better combinations. We need in future striker who is more complete player. Jendrisek is slowly improving, but he need play first eleven in Schalke, or Sylvester if improved it could be interesting to see.

You right hamsik played very well, I hope Kucka take little break after 16 games in two months for games in October, because in Armenia with poor performance we can easily drop points, but they look mature team, who is not childish...
PropagandhiŽ View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PropagandhiŽ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 4:19pm

I predict that we will show Russia too much respect and get a spanking against Slovakia.

simon View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Arhat123 Arhat123 wrote:

simon - I see Vitek, he miss, but Sestak is out of form and who would be benched instead him? - stoch,hamsik,jendrisek or sign off weiss?As a winger is Sestak poor in one to one play and static, hamsik, stoch working hard as you told, they are everywhere and Weiss with more game minutes in Rangers he will improve during the season. We play after october games, in next year march-jun against Andora and autumn rest of the games, till this time youngsters will more mature, somebody new could be added who jump in and we could be far better team, but without sestak he will almost thirty etc... Today Holosko if showed more quality in combination with head, we could win 3-0. But in situations two to two, two to one in many situations he was very poor. Holosko is especialy runner, he work hard with aggression, this is very opposite against Sestak who no working hard enough and is too static. Vitek know lock a ball when we need and play better combinations. We need in future striker who is more complete player. Jendrisek is slowly improving, but he need play first eleven in Schalke, or Sylvester if improved it could be interesting to see.

You right hamsik played very well, I hope Kucka take little break after 16 games in two months for games in October, because in Armenia with poor performance we can easily drop points, but they look mature team, who is not childish...

I like Sestak style.He is our Inzaghi.He has the same smell for goals and can pick right place in box.
I expected more from Holosko today.This game was made to suit him!But midfield was to busy defending and right side was dead for attacks with Karhan.He cant do combinations thats right.
Armenia is going to be tricky game and with trying to win some players have to play carefully cos 2 yellows.
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by PropagandhiŽ PropagandhiŽ wrote:

I predict that we will show Russia too much respect and get a spanking against Slovakia.

i'd disagree man. we won't show them any respect. we'll know that if we beat them, it's a 2 horse race between ourselves and slovakia. the problem was in the last qualifiers, we didn't play italy until march in the 2010 qualifying and it was away so we were always going to go for the draw and be happy with that. here, we have a situation where we're in the driving seat and if we win, it's going to be very very difficult for russia as we'll be on 9 points from the same number of games and they're only on 3. sets us up beatifully for the slovakia game.
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by PropagandhiŽ PropagandhiŽ wrote:

Good to see your backing Ireland all the way! Let's hope your predictions are wrong
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Arhat123 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arhat123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 5:41pm
simon- inzaghi style?! Sestak never play on the offside line, we play one striker, he cant take this position and wingers are there better. i dont see him as a useful, if vitek,holosko,jendrisek keep fit. maybe in games, if we play two strikers...he slowly will be sign off i predict. He not played against Italy, Netherland. Let now he not played in Russia, all our best games he mess. I see him, that he lost little motivation to improve and fall into stagnation. I have seen him in Turkish league, last season with Bochum was poor, he had injuries, but i see his mentality from TV reports what is inside him, we qualified WC and he said: we can be happy, that we qualified, already is this enough, something like that never say skrtel,hamsik,stoch,weiss they have more inspiring mentality...
Arhat123 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arhat123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 5:47pm
cps89- you right, if Ireland beat Russia, for them begining serious trouble, because every next dropped point make them out not only from first position, but possibly from second. If everybody earn 18 points (maccedonia,armenia,andorra) there sure Ireland or Slovakia make more than 24 points, what is Russians maximum, next draw in Slovakia, or in Macedonia sign them off definitely...you right.

But on the other hand propagandhi seen thinking about that, if Russia beat Ireland what will happen in Irish players heads. it is not good draw for you, because after four days you come to Zilina and we know, that we going sign off Ireland and you need three points back..
simon View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Arhat123 Arhat123 wrote:

simon- inzaghi style?! Sestak never play on the offside line, we play one striker, he cant take this position and wingers are there better. i dont see him as a useful, if vitek,holosko,jendrisek keep fit. maybe in games, if we play two strikers...he slowly will be sign off i predict. He not played against Italy, Netherland. Let now he not played in Russia, all our best games he mess. I see him, that he lost little motivation to improve and fall into stagnation. I have seen him in Turkish league, last season with Bochum was poor, he had injuries, but i see his mentality from TV reports what is inside him, we qualified WC and he said: we can be happy, that we qualified, already is this enough, something like that never say skrtel,hamsik,stoch,weiss they have more inspiring mentality...

I hate that mentality : we achieved enough cos we qualified...but Vittek had 2 maybe 3 bad years for national team and he scored 4 goals on WC.So i dont write Sestak off yet.Hope he will bounce back even better!

Edited by simon - 07 Sep 2010 at 5:49pm
Carmody 10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmody 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 5:53pm
Some result in Russia, Surley this is a confidence boost for us as now we will go into the game knowing that Russia are well and truly beatable, Not only away, But at home aswell.

Bring on the russians and lets kill them off early !

GWAN IRELAND 
Out of order
Arhat123 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arhat123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 5:57pm
but what was wrong with Vitek under carpet?? he got knee injury and one year he not played football and then you need get full fitness very long time. I no sign off sestak definitely, but I only see situation in squad, what tactic we play. Once again: we play 4-2-3-1 behind central striker-sestak cannot play, are best options: stoch-hamsik-weiss(jendrisek superb play against Italy) and Sestak has difficulty play this, because he has problem to run back and defending. He will in 2012 almost thirty, till this time stoch-hamsik no chance take their possition and weiss,jendrisek improve a lot. Central striker can play only holosko or vitek, then Nemec, or Oravec. But I dont see space for Sestak. Last qualification he played, because stoch,weiss only came in as unexperienced, but why you think he was benched in WC? because in weiss tactics he is unusefull. When we wont have injuries, probably there arising troubles with him, same scenario as Mintal, Jakubko opened mounths and i have seen Sestak talks : why i was benched in WC i deserved etc. this is not good for team spirit. Only injuries, cards could bring him back for several games..
Arhat123 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arhat123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Carmody 10 Carmody 10 wrote:

Some result in Russia, Surley this is a confidence boost for us as now we will go into the game knowing that Russia are well and truly beatable, Not only away, But at home aswell.

Bring on the russians and lets kill them off early !

GWAN IRELAND 

everybody is beatable in national football between first three pots, but have you seen todays Russians game? is hard to say Russians played bad football, they had several semi-chances they no dissapointed me, but we Slovaks were very tricky [;) with seven defence orientated players] be aware of Russians.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic