John Egan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 48>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 8:23pm
Not sure about that move for him to be honest .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 8:16pm
Disappointing considering the teams he was linked with
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 5:02pm
Best of luck to the lad.

Richmond Ultra View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richmond Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 4:35pm
2 year deal
Omnia Causa Fiunt
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 3:47pm
JE has signed for Gillingham
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
uncle sam View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:43am
I'm probably a late on this one but did anyone see him on that football scholars thing in rte this week. ?
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 3:20pm
My man from the Sunderland Echo tells me he's on trial at Blackburn Rovers - Great move for him if he can get a contract in the Championship

Still has a concrete offer from Southend

Edited by coyne - 27 Jun 2014 at 4:02pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 8:15pm
Hopefully doesnt end up in league two and gets a move to a team in the championship or high up in league 1
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 6:27am

Southend option for Egan after release by Sunderland

Monday, May 26, 2014
By Robin Edwards

Republic of Ireland U21 international central defender John Egan has been handed the chance to sign for League Two side Southend United after being released by Sunderland.

Egan, 21, who is also attracting interest from Blackburn Rovers, ended the season on-loan at Southend and made 15 appearances for the club as they reached the play-off semi-finals.

Southend boss Phil Brown is keen to keep Egan and on-loan Liverpool defender Jakub Sokolik but admits he could end up fighting a losing battle.

“We have put a marker down with both John and Jakub and made reference to the fact that we would very much like them to stay but I’m sure they could have a few offers,” he said.

“They’re both from good stock, having been with Sunderland and Liverpool respectively, but because of how well they did for us I’m sure they will be attracting interest from elsewhere.

“We’ve been given permission to talk to the players by their clubs and we’re chasing their agents at the moment too. We could be in the driving seat because they’ve been here already but at the same time if a Championship or League One club comes in to sign them I would fully understand if they went there to play at a higher level.”

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 11:26am

Southend v Burton  live match coverage on SS1 in about half an hour.

Good luck JE.

Edited by Double Maxim - 17 May 2014 at 11:58am
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 7:47am
come on southend!
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 6:59am

Egan has Wembley in sight

Tuesday, May 06, 2014
By John Fallon

After attending Wembley twice in the past year as a mere bystander, Corkman John Egan is two games away from becoming an active participant at English football’s biggest stage.

Southend United has been the defender’s temporary residence since February and, now that his departure from Sunderland has been confirmed, there’s added significance to the League Two play-off series that begins with Sunday’s semi-final against Burton Albion.

On the same weekend his former team-mates will most likely complete their great escape at the Stadium of Light against Swansea, the Sunderland trainee for the last four years will be charting a future of a different kind in the more humble setting of the Pirelli Stadium.

Remaining with the Shrimpers on a permanent basis is just one of the options for the 21-year-old, though the possibility of shuttling up Wembley way on Monday week could expand the list of suitors further.

By then, both his Munstermen buddies from days gone by at Sunderland, John O’Shea and David Meyler, will have savoured their Wembley visits.

Egan was present in March to see O’Shea lead the Black Cats out for the Capital One Cup final, by which time he knew Gus Poyet was planning without him.

“Bradford City, with whom I played a few games last season before breaking my leg, invited me to Wembley for their League Two play-off a year ago,” explains the son of the great Kerry Gaelic player of the same name who passed away 13 months ago. “I was back there to watch Sunderland but I’d much rather be a player than a spectator at such a fantastic ground.”

A fracture of both fibula and tibia in November 2012 sent what looked a promising career into a tailspin from which he’s only now regained his bearings.
By that point, Steve Bruce has already trusted the former Greenwood centre-back enough to stick him on the bench for Sunderland’s Premier League game at Old Trafford a year earlier.

Bruce’s successor, Martin O’Neill, was equally fond of the Irishman, including Egan in his pre-season squad and handing him a first-team squad number. Not only did the Leesider’s campaign end after just three months that night at Valley Parade but O’Neill was subsequently sacked, giving way to a pantomime period on Wearside under Paolo Di Canio.

Egan was still working his way back from such a serious injury to full fitness while mayhem engulfed the club through the iron grip of the Italian.

When Gus Poyet arrived in October promising a clean slate, hope of an upturn existed for the match-fitdefender in the final season of his contract.

The Uruguayan, however, deemed blooding rookies not conducive to the relegation battle he inherited.

“I’d trained regularly with the first-team under the two previous managers when I was fit [Bruce and O’Neill], so I knew this manager had made up his mind on me when I wasn’t even doing that this season,” he outlined. “I was frozen out. There was no interaction with the manager and I found that very different.”

The news that every aspiring Premier League dreads wasn’t even delivered by Poyet. Reserve team boss Kevin Ball, who had taken charge of first-team affairs in the fortnight between Di Canio’s sacking and Poyet’s appointment, was delegated that duty.

“It was just a phonecall from Kevin,” explained Egan, in a matter-of-fact manner. “I can’t say I was surprised at the news by that stage.”

The man who as a boy captained Ireland’s U19s at the 2011 European finals was well immersed into Southend’s promotion quest when that call from a familiar number flashed up on his phone. No longer were his mother Mary, sister Máirín and various friends traipsing over from Cork to watch Egan line out in mundane reserve matches. This is the real thing and he’s loving it.

“I’ve played 13 club games in a row, the longest stretch of matches in my career,” he beamed. “Very few youngsters go straight into the Premier League these days with the amount of money around and foreign recruits.

“It’s a long road and I’ve had some bumps but a lot worse things can happen in life. Right now, it’s all about getting Southend promoted and then I’ll think about my next move. This doesn’t change my belief that I can play at the highest level. If I didn’t think that, I wouldn’t stay in England.”

engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 9:29pm
The reason United are looking at his is that they are looking at buying players specifically for their under 21/reserve team
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 8:37pm
Why is he being let go if United are supposedly looking at him? But then again, so are Bradford Confused
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 7:34pm
Sad to see him go but good luck to him.

Edited by Double Maxim - 28 Apr 2014 at 7:35pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 7:16pm
Released by sunderland being looked at by man utd and bradford
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

I'd say Sunderland will wait to see what league they are playing in before they decide on out of contract players. May be better for Egan if they are relegated

Thats right as I would say that most of the senior c/halfs will be away when we go down.

Yes cloth will have to be cut and Sunderland may think Egan is good enough for the championship but not quite good enough for the epl
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

I'd say Sunderland will wait to see what league they are playing in before they decide on out of contract players. May be better for Egan if they are relegated

Works both ways aswell though, 5 of our academy players have already been shown the door Cry

When I said zero indication he could be well be another or as you said a step-down might be beneficial for both parties

Edited by coyne - 18 Apr 2014 at 6:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 48>
  Share Topic