John Egan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 48>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Can see it being Lenihan over Duffy tbh. Much better with the ball at his feet and when O'Shea and Egan have been out hes been the one to come in both times.

Lenihan was woeful in Athens, I'm surprised he made the cut this time tbh. Having watched Duffy a couple of times this season, I'd definitely have him in ahead of Lenihan. There's a fair argument one of McNally or McGuinness should be in ahead of Lenihan also.

Lenihan has been woeful every time he's played, he shouldn't be in the squad given the many younger options available with far more potential.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Can see it being Lenihan over Duffy tbh. Much better with the ball at his feet and when O'Shea and Egan have been out hes been the one to come in both times.

Lenihan was woeful in Athens, I'm surprised he made the cut this time tbh. Having watched Duffy a couple of times this season, I'd definitely have him in ahead of Lenihan. There's a fair argument one of McNally or McGuinness should be in ahead of Lenihan also.

Everyone was woeful in Athens, he had a very good game against Ukraine last summer.

He wouldn't be my pick either but its who I think Kenny will go with.

Id rather him over Duffy anyway, was disaster waiting to happen last time he played for us against a team pressing hard. He really got away with several clangers due to Scotlands inability to finish, the French or Dutch wont need anymore than one of those mistakes to punish us.

Lenihan or Duffy should not be on the pitch starting against France.  

We have enough in Egan, OShea Collins and Andrew.  All four should start. 

Egan is likely not fit and even if he is, he is on the cusp of suspension, a yellow vs France rules him out of the (more important) Dutch game. I think he'll be rested vs France for that reason and I think thats fine, ideally he will be fully fit for the Dutch game.
Idah Dream!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 4:57pm

Everyone was woeful in Athens, he had a very good game against Ukraine last summer.

Id rather him over Duffy anyway, was disaster waiting to happen last time he played for us against a team pressing hard. He really got away with several clangers due to Scotlands inability to finish, the French or Dutch wont need anymore than one of those mistakes to punish us.

Lenihan or Duffy should not be on the pitch starting against France.  

We have enough in Egan, OShea Collins and Andrew.  All four should start. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 4:39pm

Edited by Bandwagon - 04 Sep 2023 at 4:43pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Seems to almost certainly be out. 
Collins Duffy O'Shea it is then. Duffy is effective in backs-to-the-walls jobs, no biggie.

Omobamidele - Collins - O'Shea for me.

Pace needed against that French forward line.

That's the backline that conceded 2 in quick succession to Latvia back in March. AO was hooked after an hour with Egan needing to be brought on to calm them down. Really need an experienced head in there to guide them, and with Coleman, Egan, & Doherty all out it has to be Duffy.

I don't hate the idea of Omobamidele at RWB - he's quality in possession and has the pace to try and deal with Mbappe.

Omobamidele - Collins - Duffy - O'Shea - Stevens (Dead)

Not an awful backline on paper, but Stevens is a clear weak link for me - can't remember him having many good games for us even when he was a Premier League regular.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 4:18pm

Idah Dream!
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 4:15pm
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

Duffy would unironically be our biggest goal threat against France. Omobamidele has barely played this season and wasn't picked to begin with. Duffy has to start.

Omobamidele played two full games in The League Cup. They won both games 1-0 vs Championship opposition.

So not completely cold.

Duffy is good in the air, but France are a pretty monstrous team with Giroud, Rabiot, Tchouaméni, Koundé, Upamecano and Saliba all 6ft+ in height. Pavard and Disasi also.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

Duffy would unironically be our biggest goal threat against France. Omobamidele has barely played this season and wasn't picked to begin with. Duffy has to start.

With Coleman and Doherty out, both O'Shea and Omobamidele come into the reckoning for that RWB spot vs Mbappe. It's either one of them or one of Browne, Knight, Ogbene, Ebosele. It mightnt be the nicest debut to hand Festy tbf. I'd play Duffy CB and start Omo at RWB.
Idah Dream!
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 3:54pm
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 3:25pm
Omobamidele is the best equipped to deal with Mbappé 1 vs 1.

Duffy would be useful if France opt for Giroud as their ST.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Collins Duffy O'Shea it is then. Duffy is effective in backs-to-the-walls jobs, no biggie.

Ireland defence is probably gonna be camped around it's 18 yard box for most of the night. Plus only way we're likely scoring in Paris is Duffy getting his big head on the end of a set piece.
This. We won't need pace at the back with how deep we'll be sat. I'm not convinced about Collins in the middle yet either, he seems to have a mistake in him which is definitely not a desirable trait in the middle of a back 3. Right again, despite all the intentions of progressive football, on nights like this Duffy could well be our biggest goal threat again. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 3:22pm

Ireland defence is probably gonna be camped around it's 18 yard box for most of the night. Plus only way we're likely scoring in Paris is Duffy getting his big head on the end of a set piece.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 3:22pm

That's the backline that conceded 2 in quick succession to Latvia back in March. AO was hooked after an hour with Egan needing to be brought on to calm them down. Really need an experienced head in there to guide them, and with Coleman, Egan, & Doherty all out it has to be Duffy.

Edited by Greenie50 - 04 Sep 2023 at 3:23pm
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 3:16pm

SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 3:12pm

irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 2:57pm
Here we go again
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 5:09pm
Will probably call up Omobamidele now as cover.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 48>
  Share Topic