You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darren O'Dea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearside Bhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darren O'Dea
    Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 12:28pm
Off to Ipswich on loan ?
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.
Sponsored Links

Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 3:05pm
Hopefully he goes to Ipswich. He's behind at least 4 other defenders at Celtic after they signed Majstorovic.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 3:11pm

Celtic's Darren O'Dea is Ipswich bound

Celtic%20defender%20Darren%20ODea
Celtic defender O'Dea wants regular first-team football

Celtic central defender Darren O'Dea could be heading for a second loan spell in the English Championship and will travel to Ipswich Town on Monday.

The 23-year-old finished last season back as a regular in Celtic's defence after a difficult stay at Reading.

But new manager Neil Lennon is poised to sign Daniel Majstorovic and is prepared to let O'Dea leave.

"He doesn't want to be a squad player, he wants to play and I can't guarantee him that," said Lennon.

"Ipswich have made an enquiry to take him on loan so there is a possibility he will be down there on Monday.

"Ipswich have given him the opportunity to go and play and I think it will be good for him to get some games under his belt because we're bringing in other people allied to the ones we've got."

O'Dea, who has two senior Republic of Ireland cap, joined Reading in September but fell out of favour in his last two months at Madejski Stadium.

He fought his way back into the Celtic side on his return to Glasgow in January, first under Tony Mowbray and then under Lennon when the present boss took over as caretaker.

Sweden international Majstorovic is having a medical this weekend with a view to a transfer from AEK Athens.

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 11:42pm

Good player, needs to get a good run of games to see if he is going to fulfill his potential, best of luck to him Thumbs%20Up

Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 11:57pm
He should have gone 2 years ago. Hopefully it works out for him now if he does go. So much potential, he's still young enough.
baddler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 3:30am

Surprised he never really made it at Celtic, he's always impressed me when I've seen him play (granted I don't watch the SPL that much).

I would be worried about seeing him going to Keane at Ipswich though, I wonder if he'll even last the first half of the season there
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 4:05am
Originally posted by baddler baddler wrote:

Surprised he never really made it at Celtic, he's always impressed me when I've seen him play (granted I don't watch the SPL that much).

I would be worried about seeing him going to Keane at Ipswich though, I wonder if he'll even last the first half of the season there

Keano handled a young Jonny Evans brillantly during two loans spells on Wearside. Clap
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Predator View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 7:27am
O'Dea is a monster of a defender. He's a beast. Hopefully he'll flourish under Keane.
Jonesy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:56am
Hope it works out for him.
Get Double Maxim in the Clarehall Dublin Tesco ASAP
MARTY View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:09am
Would be a good move for him.
Keane complaining at weekend his team where a bit light in size/ height vs Burnley.

Still broke?...blame it all on Gary Mackay...Nov' 87
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:11am
hopefully this will work out for him.
Cant see a future at Celtic for him, if they rated him that highly they wouldn't keep buying defenders
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 10:55am
He has completed his move to Ipswich and will stay until January.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Predator Predator wrote:

O'Dea is a monster of a defender. He's a beast. Hopefully he'll flourish under Keane.

Do you rate him then Predator, don't hold back now, give us you're opinion   
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:44am
"He doesn't want to be a squad player, he wants to play and I can't guarantee him that.

"Ipswich have given him the opportunity to go and play and I think it will be good for him to get some games under his belt because we're bringing in other people allied to the ones we've got."

Neil Lennon
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:50am

Ipswich Town loanee Darren O'Dea says getting back into the plans of parent club Celtic is off the agenda.

It is a shift in thinking for the defender, 23, who admits his career in Scotland had previously taken priority.

"Maybe when I went down to Reading last year, that was my aim," he told BBC Radio Suffolk.

"This time I'm just focused on playing for Ipswich, doing as well as I can here and letting other things take care of themselves."

The Irishman played just eight times during a four-month loan spell at the Madejski Stadium last season, but returned to Celtic Park to become a first-team regular at the back end of the campaign. It looked like the centre-half's fortunes were changing but a summer of upheaval at Celtic persuaded him to look elsewhere.

"A lot of new players came in and I felt that if a manager is bringing in that many new players he's maybe going to favour playing them," he said.

"I'm a young, hungry player that wants to play every week. I didn't feel I was guaranteed that there but neither am I guaranteed it here."

O'Dea will have to break up the central-defensive pairing of Gareth McAuley and Tommy Smith if he is to get games under his belt while in Suffolk, but says he can slot in elsewhere in the back-four.

"Any opportunities I get I'll need to take with both hands," he said.

"I'd say predominately I'm a centre-half but left-back, or anywhere else in the team, is not a problem."

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 6:48am
Keane Delighted With O'Dea Debut

Blues boss Roy Keane was delighted with new loan signing Darren O’Dea’s debut in Saturday’s 2-1 win at Crystal Palace. However, the Town manager revealed that the Celtic man might not be available for Tuesday’s Carling Cup tie at Crewe having suffered a concussion at Selhurst Park.

Keane said: “Darren did very well, he was touch and go to come on for the second half because he’s got concussion. He’ll have to see the doctor to see whether he’ll be available for Tuesday.

“There was no way he wanted to come off, he’s a good character and I thought he made some good tackles right in front of our supporters. They’ll appreciate that.”

O’Dea and his defensive colleagues needed to be on top of their game against the Eagles, says Keane: “We knew our back four would be under pressure today, but we just hoped that if we got the opportunities we’d punish Palace, which we managed to do. But we don’t do that anywhere near enough.

“Darren should be pleased. He’s had a good week at the club and I’m very pleased with him. He’s a good kid.”

Edited by Propagandhi® - 23 Aug 2010 at 6:49am
Predator View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:08pm
Great to hear. Hopefully the guy has a good season and has his loan extended.
End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!
Wearside Bhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearside Bhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:58pm
Lets hope Darren gets an extended run in the side.
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic