You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 306>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I think Shane Long has resigned himself to a bit part player with Southampton until his contract sees itself out and he'll retire.

In a similar way with Randolph he can enjoy a good premier league contract and support the team when needed. Or he can play games in the championship for less money.

I can't blame him for extending his stay with Southampton 

Could he not keep his salary at the same level while going out on loan? That is generally what happens when players go on loan, their salary is paid partially by both. 

I suspect Southampton offered him a new contract so that he can be available if there is injuries or game congestion. 

Hes 34 soon, a loan move is pointless at this point of his career. Southampton want him as a bit part player.

Games have already been thick and fast and Ings has just returned after being injured for several games, yet Long hasn't got off the bench and is now being left out of match day squads. There is a starting place for Ireland definitely achievable for him if he has the hunger to play in another tournament or lead another qualifying campaign, as no other striker is in a position to lock down a starting place and Kenny has given him opportunities this year.

In saying that, I fully expect him to remain where he is for family reasons alone and it's a cushy number for him so I won't cast aspersions on what he chooses to do with the remaining years of his career.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:28pm
Very little reason to pick Shane Long for ireland now. Hell be 36 when the next world start (if we qualify) 

Better off playing idah or parrott for experience rather than a few additional caps for Long.

Agreed that he's falling down the pecking order but his career is winding down now, much like Randolph 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:34pm

I think Shane Long has resigned himself to a bit part player with Southampton until his contract sees itself out and he'll retire.

In a similar way with Randolph he can enjoy a good premier league contract and support the team when needed. Or he can play games in the championship for less money.

Could he not keep his salary at the same level while going out on loan? That is generally what happens when players go on loan, their salary is paid partially by both. 

I suspect Southampton offered him a new contract so that he can be available if there is injuries or game congestion. 

Hes 34 soon, a loan move is pointless at this point of his career. Southampton want him as a bit part player.

At this point of his career, would it not be attractive to go out and play a match and get reward for a hard week’s training versus watching the team from the stand most weeks?
I think another craic at promotion with a championship side would be a lot more attractive than that.

Reading would be a great move. Former club, an eye on maybe a play off spot. John O’Shea there. Could be a perfect fit
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Games have already been thick and fast and Ings has just returned after being injured for several games, yet Long hasn't got off the bench and is now being left out of match day squads. There is a starting place for Ireland definitely achievable for him if he has the hunger to play in another tournament or lead another qualifying campaign, as no other striker is in a position to lock down a starting place and Kenny has given him opportunities this year.

In saying that, I fully expect him to remain where he is for family reasons alone and it's a cushy number for him so I won't cast aspersions on what he chooses to do with the remaining years of his career.

he has substituted in for 8 of 13 premiership games , how is this not getting off the bench
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:45pm

At this point of his career, would it not be attractive to go out and play a match and get reward for a hard week’s training versus watching the team from the stand most weeks?
I think another craic at promotion with a championship side would be a lot more attractive than that.

Reading would be a great move. Former club, an eye on maybe a play off spot. John O’Shea there. Could be a perfect fit

I'd tend to agree with this. He hasn't started a league game all season. He has played a total of 61 minutes. He's got token minutes here and there this season but he hasn't even made the match day squad over the last two games and hasn't came off the bench in three. It would be great from an Ireland perspective if he started getting an itch to start playing semi-regularly again.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:51pm
Long made 31 appearances for Southampton last season, including 18 starts, and has made 9 appearances this season. It`s not as if he hasn't been playing at all.

He's a squad player at a good PL club, and his signing a new 2-year deal a few months ago tells you he's probably reasonably content in that role at this stage in his career.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 16 Dec 2020 at 7:51pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:55pm
Like others have said he's probably happy enough to stay where he is - will have a high paying contract taking him beyond his 35th birthday. He'll make appearances here and there as needed and continue to be professional off the field.

I think he knows he's effectively done with international football once we didn't make the Euros and we'd be as well moving on from him at this stage as well. 

He's had a decent career - he recently moved into the top 10 all time Irish players in the Premier League in terms of appearances which is good going for a late starter and a guy who despite being a forward was never a prolific goalscorer.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Long made 31 appearances for Southampton last season, including 18 starts, and has made 9 appearances this season. It`s not as if he hasn't been playing at all.

He's a squad player at a good PL club, and his signing a new 2-year deal a few months ago tells you he's probably reasonably content in that role at this stage in his career.

Hes played 61 minutes out of a possible 1170 this season and isn't getting in match day squads at a busy time of the season, which is indicative that he's been phased out. Nobody's saying he's not reasonably content, I'd do the same thing in his position. I'm just saying, and re-eastablishing, that a move to a Championship team, pipe dream that it probably is, would be great from an Irish perspective.

Daryl Murphy was older than he is now and played a huge part in Newcastle's promotion campaign. Long could fulfill that role at any number of Championship teams.

FWIW, I think Murphy could've done a job for us when Mick started his second reign and was hinting at trying to bring him back into the fold.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 16 Dec 2020 at 7:57pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 8:07pm
Long hasn't scored an international goal since 2016 and is 34 in January, his international should be over as of now, simple as.

It would be more far more beneficial to persist with Connolly, Idah, Parrott, Robinson etc and the likes and have Collins as a stopgap. 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 8:07pm

Very little reason to pick Shane Long for ireland now. Hell be 36 when the next world start (if we qualify) 

Better off playing idah or parrott for experience rather than a few additional caps for Long.

Agreed that he's falling down the pecking order but his career is winding down now, much like Randolph 

How old will he be if we dont qualify?
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 8:33pm
His best goal scoring season was 10 years ago.
His last goal for us was 4 years ago.
His time with ROI is up.

He’s 10 years in the premier league. His did the championship slog  early in his career. Zero reason to leave saints until summer of 2021 unless they pay up his contract or part of to his liking before then.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 8:39pm
Very few players play reach the standard of the premier league even fewer get 10 seasons. 

Was never a goalscorer sadly but overall play is very good.

Very little reason to uproot his family to play for wycombe of whomever 
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:44pm

Very few players play reach the standard of the premier league even fewer get 10 seasons. 

Very little reason to uproot his fa

mily to play for wycombe of whomever 

Was a good servant. Scored important goals for us. Has had a decent career and is pragmatically picking up a good salary for a side that may qualify for Europe next year which will give some games. 

He had great pace and moved alot, unfortunately moving alot doesn't mean he had good movement, he played footy like a guy who spent his youth playing hurling.  Often headless but always frenetic. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:46pm
yeah been saying the last bit for years.  

Absolute credit it long he has made a career for himself .  He is more athlete than footballer 
AKA pedantic kunt
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Was a good servant. Scored important goals for us. Has had a decent career and is pragmatically picking up a good salary for a side that may qualify for Europe next year which will give some games. 

He had great pace and moved alot, unfortunately moving alot doesn't mean he had good movement, he played footy like a guy who spent his youth playing hurling.  Often headless but always frenetic. 

That's nonsense to be honest. Long always had really good movement and positioning, he was just a terrible finisher. His all round game was good though and he caused defenders problems whenever he played, surely you aren't foolish enough to think he played ten years in the top flight just because "he ran around like a headless chicken"?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:03pm
He has started only 91 times for Southampton so he has 1 goal in every 3.37 starts. And under Koeman when they still had Graziano Pelle, he rarely played up front. He's generally scored goals whenever he's got runs in the team. Considering that the likes of Pelle and Ings have been the main men, he's proved an able backup.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Wes_Wanderers Wes_Wanderers wrote:

Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

That's nonsense to be honest. Long always had really good movement and positioning, he was just a terrible finisher. His all round game was good though and he caused defenders problems whenever he played, surely you aren't foolish enough to think he played ten years in the top flight just because "he ran around like a headless chicken"?

He had great attributes which got him to the top table but his poor goal scoring rate was IMHO down to poor positional sense and a lack of tactical nous. He did not have good movement but he did move alot. 
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:27pm
His poor goalscoring was down to bad finishing, that is why we are always talking about him missing chances. If it was his positioning that was bad, he wouldn't even be in a position to be missing chances because he would be nowhere near them. Finishing and a bit more skill on the ball were really the only things stopping him from being top level, he had absolutely everything else a great striker needs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 306>
  Share Topic