URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=21296
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Shane Long
Posted By: Propagandhi®
Subject: Shane Long
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:01pm

Long out of Ireland game

After picking up an ankle injury in Saturdays 2-1 defeat to S****horpe, Shane Long has been forced to withdraw from Ireland's glamour friendly with Argentina on Wednesday night.

The striker was injured whilst trying to follow up Simon Church's saved shot in the second half, and as we had used all 3 subs, he was forced to play for the final 20 minutes on the right wing doing nothing more than crossing the odd ball into the box.

He will be disappointed to miss out as the game marked the first international at the new Landsdowne Road.

Long's absence adds to a number of players not available for Wednesday nights trip to Torquay.

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Replies:
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 8:09am

Reading striker Shane Long says he is fit and ready to return to first-team action when Nottingham Forest visit the Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

The 23-year-old has been out since injuring his hip during the 2-1 opening-day defeat by S****horpe.

Long told BBC Berkshire: "I settled back into training on Tuesday, and am definitely going to be fit on Saturday.

"It was frustrating to miss a game like Portsmouth away, but it could be worse. It'll nice to be back on the pitch."

Without Long, Reading defeated Torquay in the Carling Cup and needed a late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw with Portsmouth last time out.

"The first game we could have done a better in and we should have won but those games happen and they're going to happen throughout the season," he added.

"We responded well against Portsmouth and to come away from there with a point is no easy feat. Hopefully we can back that up with a win against Forest.

"Four points in three games would not be that bad."

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 2:15pm

Chicken nuggets are back on the menu for Shane Long tonight.

The striker will be hoping his pre-match treat will help him start banging in the goals for Reading after being away with the Republic of Ireland squad for the last two weeks.

Long is looking to break his duck this season against Crystal Palace tomorrow when they visit Madejski Stadium (3pm kick-off).

During the week the 23-year-old is on a strict diet, but he has always allowed himself one guilty pleasure the night before games, but was deprived his fast-food fix when away on international duty with Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad.

“I don’t get that (chicken nuggets) when I’m away, but I’ll have them tonight,” said Long who hasn’t scored since the 6-0 thrashing of Peterborough United on April 17.

“With the Italian influence it’s lots of pasta and chicken. So I’m looking forward to treating myself tonight.”

With unlikely top-scorer Matt Mills leading the way for Royals in front of goal, Reading’s strikers are desperate to get off the mark.

Gregorz Rasiak, who has now left the club for Cyprus, is the only Royals front man to score in a competitive game this season, but Long knows good things come to those who wait.

He explained: “I try not to think about it too much.

“The goals will come and once they do hopefully it will be a continuous roll. I’m just concentrating on working hard and playing well, it will come.

“Kevin Doyle scored his first goal of the season for Ireland in midweek and hopefully I can follow in his footsteps.

“We’ve been playing well and I think we’ve been unfortunate with some results.

“Winning at Leicester would have boosted the confidence, but we know Palace will be a tough game. Every game is, but if we’re at the top of our game we can beat anyone.

“It’s early in the season, but when we’re at home I think we’re always favourites. The Madejski is a hard place to come to and we need to make sure it’s a fortress again this season.”

Manager Brian McDermott could shuffle his pack following the loss of Gylfi Sigurdsson and the arrival of Ian Harte and Zurab Khizanishvili as he looks for the first Championship win at home this season.

Long has often found himself isolated in the 4-2-3-1 formation and he could find himself partnered by either Simon Church or Noel Hunt in a 4-4-2 set-up against Palace.

And he added: “I enjoy playing by myself, but at the same time playing 4-4-2 is also good.

“It’s hard for defenders when they’re marking one player because they never always sure who should be picking me up.

“That option is always there, but it’s up to the gaffer at the end of the day.

“It will be hard to fill Gylfi’s space behind the striker.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:41am
Shane Long has scored from the penalty spot after being brought down by fellow Irishman Paddy McCarthy.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 6:37am

ROYALS boss Brian McDermott hailed Shane Long as an 'unsung hero' after the striker inspired his side to a 3-0 victory over Crystal Palace.

Long won two penalties, converted one and was a constant thorn in Palace's side as Reading claimed back-to-back Championship wins and extend their unbeaten run to four games.

He even gave up the chance to grab his second penalty of the day when he handed fellow Irishman Ian Harte the chance to mark his debut with a goal, an invitation gratefully accepted.

And Jimmy Kebe crowned a fine afternoon's work for McDermott's side by netting a stylish third in stoppage time.

Royals boss said: “Playing up front on your own against two guys like Palace's centre-halves is really difficult.

“But Shane is getting better and better. He's an unsung hero and people don't see what he does for the team.

“He wins his headers and holds it up. He got two penalties today and I was delighted with him, as I was the whole team.”

-------------

Posted By: Padraig88
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 9:51am

It may be a long night in zilina!

By Aidan Fitzmaurice

Monday October 11 2010

A FLICK OF the wrist shows that his thoughts have not strayed too far from home despite his new-found status as a key man for his country.

As Shane Long sits down for a conversation after yesterday's squad training session in Malahide in a poky kitchen at the squad's training base, there's a revealing aside to his character and background.

The session is the last chance to get some air into the lungs before this morning's flight to Slovakia for a game which will have a big say in whether Ireland make it to the neighbouring countries of Poland and Ukraine in 2012.

On his left arm is not one of those gaudy diamond-encrusted watches worth more than the average industrial wage so favoured by Premier League footballers, but instead one of those plastic wrist bands popular with kids, with the blue and gold colours and the words Tiobraid Arainn.

If life had taken a different turn, Long would spend this week touring the schools of his native Tipperary as part of the victorious All-Ireland winning side, as he played up to minor level with many of the current Tipp heroes. Yet instead, Long is likely to occupy the nation's focus tomorrow night if, as expected, he's selected to play alongside Robbie Keane up front for Ireland.

Long pushed himself to the fore of manager Trapattoni's thoughts with an impressive substitute display against Russia on Friday night, scoring Ireland's second goal at Lansdowne Road, yet he's anything but an overnight success, as Long first scored for Ireland more than three years ago.

But he knows that a starting role against the Slovaks would be another chapter in an amazing story for the sports people of his home county.

"It was a great year for Tipp all round, with the seniors and the U21s. The atmosphere down in Tipp now is pretty good, and I suppose me scoring the other night didn't do any harm," Long told the Evening Herald.

"That Tipp win last month meant so much to me as I know a lot of the lads there. I played with Paddy Stapleton, Joseph Locke -- who was injured -- and a lot of the minors like Darragh Egan, Dave Young, and it's great to see them do well.

"It was an unbelievable feeling to score on Friday night. My first competitive game under Trapattoni, my first Ireland goal under him. I had a lot of family there to see the goal so that was nice, just a pity we didn't get the result we needed.

"My phone just went mental with all the texts and calls, I just had to leave it aside because I couldn't answer everyone, but it was a special night for me and it was nice to get such a response.

"In a way it's easy, coming on at 3-0 down when you're chasing the game, everyone pushing forward and not worrying as much about defending. But I was delighted to get the goal and hopefully I can push on from there with Ireland now tomorrow night," added Long.

The Reading man has been given a chance to play against the Slovaks as his former Reading team-mate and close friend Kevin Doyle was ruled out through injury yesterday.

"Kevin was gutted. I spoke to him when he was going home on Sunday morning. He was slightly relieved in that the injury was not a serious one, it looks like he'll only be out for two weeks. He's devastated not to be involved for tomorrow but glad that the injury isn't worse," Long revealed.

"It's a great chance for me now, the team hasn't been picked yet but hopefully I can get a run at some stage. Kevin is a big loss for us. He's one of the top strikers in the Premier League so it's going to be hard for us, he has big boots to fill, but we have to manage. And if I get the shout I am ready to take it.

Part

"I feel like I have been playing well for my club recently. I hoped that would be enough coming into the game and thankfully I played a part.

"There is a bit of competition for that striking position, and you need that in the squad to push yourself so I have to use that competition to work harder in training and show the manager that I can play."

For a while there, Long and those close to him were wondering if Trapattoni knew that the Reading player was actually there at all. He's made almost every single Ireland squad during Trapattoni's reign but Friday was Long's first time to play in a competitive game under the Italian. Having played four times in the doomed Euro 2008 campaign under Staunton, Long was left to stew under Trapattoni, failing to even make the bench or the match-day squad in any of the games on the road to South Africa.

"It was frustrating, I have to admit, but I had to get on with it," he says. "It comes down to your club form. Towards the end of last season and at the start of this season I was starting almost every game. I was involved in the squad every time so I can't complain too much," added Long.

The Reading man is one of the survivors from Ireland's last visit to Slovakia, in 2007, and he hopes for better fortunes this week.

"I was there the last time we were in Slovakia, I was on the bench but didn't get on. We played well in that game, Doyler scored a cracking goal but we were robbed at the end when Slovakia got an equaliser. Hopefully it won't be a repeat of that and we might have to go for it out there. There's no point in playing for a 1-0 because you can get caught, as happened to us in Bratislava. We have good players in the team and in the squad so we have to go out and prove that," Long says.

"I think we need to go there and win. Three points from the Slovakia game would be massive for us. After losing on Friday we need to pick up as many points as we can and three points has to be the target as I can't see Russia throwing away too many points after this.

"It will be tough as Slovakia will be a tough place to go, and they've shown they are good away from home as well with that win in Moscow, so we won't get anything easy out there and if we can get something it will be a big step towards qualification."

- Aidan Fitzmaurice

-------------
Men-tal-ity.

Posted By: Jokerman
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:56pm

McDermott happy with Long effort

Reading manager Brian McDermott has backed striker Shane Long to get among the goals soon.

01 Nov 2010

Long was again impressive in the 4-3 win at home to Doncaster on Saturday without finding the net and has managed just two goals all season - both penalties.

But McDermott said: "When you play one up front you need that physicality and he gets battered from week to week.

"He's an honest lad, he keeps going and gives everything he can in that shirt.

"You can't ask for more than that."

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:11am
I'm glad to see his manager is happy with his performances. But he is a striker and strikers are supposed to score goals. Don't get me wrong, I like his attitude, but sometimes he needs to learn take up better positions and to be a bit more ruthless in front of the goals.

IRC, great goalscorers like Ian Rush and Gary Lineker often contributing little in some matches, but coming up with the goals, that ultimately win games.

Until Long regularly starts finding the ol' onion sack, he won't be seen as a great or even a good striker.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:38am

McDermott sick of Long's critics

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/search/anthonysmith">Profile by Anthony Smith

BRIAN McDermott is furious with Reading fans for jeering Shane Long – after revealing the much-maligned striker played through the pain barrier last weekend.

The Republic of Ireland international left the Madejski Stadium pitch to a chorus of boos with Royals trailing Doncaster Rovers 3-1. But McDermott’s men stormed back to win 4-3 after netting four goals for the second league game in a row.

However, Royals boss insists the criticism of Long is totally unjustified – especially given the pain he put his body through last Saturday afternoon.

Speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, McDermott said: “All I know is Shane gave his all for the shirt. If he didn’t get a decent ovation when I took him off it’s disappointing to say the least.

“I’m telling you, Shane did well, he won all his headers and put his body on the line. What fans don’t know is that he was ill before the game and ill at half time.

Laid low: Shane Long shook off a bout of sickness to play in Reading's 4-3 win against Doncaster Rovers last weekend. However, the striker was jeered when he was taken off.

“He was throwing up everywhere and obviously wasn’t feeling great but he still went out there and gave everything for the shirt. People don’t see that side of Shane so it’s time they knew.”

Long has netted twice this season, both times from the penalty spot and has been used mostly as a lone striker.

Now McDermott is appealing to supporters to get right behind him like they did with Jimmy Kebe.

“Shane is 23 and still learning but the last thing I’m going to do is defend him,” said McDermott. “I have great players at this club who give me everything they have.

“But over the years fans do sometimes give players a tough time. Jimmy Kebe is a prime example. He had a difficult time but now the fans love him.

“Shane had a difficult period with injuries but I know once he gets a few more goals the fans will be right on his side.

“The fact is we need fans to help him rather than go the other way. Confidence is a major factor in football and every player is affected by it. When fans have a go it doesn’t really help.”

Long has since recovered from a stomach bug and is likely to keep his place in McDermott’s starting line-up for Saturday’s mouthwatering trip to Neil Warnock’s Queens Park Rangers.

More than 2,500 Royals fans are heading to Loftus Road and McDermott added: “Everyone is entitled to their opinion and fans pay their money. All I will say is I only use players who give everything for the shirt.

“I heard someone call a radio station after Saturday’s game to say they were disappointed with our performance, even though we won 4-3.

“The fact is you can’t play well every game but we kept going and showed tremendous spirit to come back and win it. How anyone could be disappointed is beyond me.”

Meanwhile, Royals geared up for the weekend by inviting former X Factor star Danyl Johnson to a training session at Hogwood Park on Tuesday. “He used to be a goalkeeper and he’s a good lad,” stated striker Noel Hunt.

“He’s also a big Reading fan and a few of us exchange messages on Twitter.”

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Posted By: seaniemac
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:53am
1. Go to Google
2. type in 'shane long'
3. click on News
4. click on the news articles
5. ctrl C, ctrl V
6. when no-one replies to articles, repeat steps 1-5
SleepySleepy
Sleepy

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:00am
Personally I like these updates as it saves me from trawling through the web looking for them.

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:02am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Personally I like these updates as it saves me from trawling through the web looking for them.

me to Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: Ireland4ever
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:07am
How about a player info/injury/transfer thread that all these can be put into, i like the updates but it does stunt any debate when there's a big report whacked in.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:10pm

Reading striker Shane Long has put pen to paper on a new deal to keep him at the club until the summer of 2012.

The http://topics.skysports.com/Republic+of+Ireland/?section=football - international has been at the http://topics.skysports.com/Madejski+Stadium/?section=football - since 2005 but his contract had been set to expire at the end of this season.

He has now committed his future to the Royals for a further 12 months and manager http://topics.skysports.com/Brian+McDermott/?section=football - is thrilled with the agreement.

McDermott also paid tribute to the contribution made by the 23-year-old during his time at the club and will be hoping his best is yet to come.

"I'm delighted Shane has committed to the club by signing a new contract with us," said McDermott.

"He was one of four strikers who helped us make history in 2005/06, playing a valuable part in the squad that earned promotion with 106 points, and he also scored crucial goals at the very highest level during our two seasons in the Premier League."

-------------

Posted By: dublin-hammer
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:31am
just scored an screamer! top corner rocket!

-------------
I'm not a fascist, I'm a priest. Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas...priests... More drink!

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:32am
Shane Long has scored a beauty.

-------------

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:09pm
Answered his critics today. Lad is progressing all the time. .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: awlawd
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:15pm
what a hit!

-------------
No, we came by Southern Yemen

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
People shouldn't judge Long on goals scored. He gets assists, he wins penalties, he wins free kicks, he gets kicked all over the pitch. Just like Doyle, the work he does for the team outweighs goals scored. Besides, he has already proven that he can compete at the top level with his two seasons in the Premiership and more recently, his performances in the F.A. Cup, and for his country against Russia and Slovakia. Should start alongside Doyle or Keane against Norway.

-------------

Posted By: Wearside Bhoy
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Jokerman Jokerman wrote:

Shane Long has scored a beauty.

Cracking goal from Shane.

-------------
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 4:23am
Karacan: Get behind Long for Cardiff City showdown

By /search/hpsbq/10/1/114/Jonny%20Fordham/%23 - Jonny Fordham
November 09, 2010

Get off his back and get behind him.

That was the message Reading midfielder Jem Karacan had for the boo-boys and critics of team-mate Shane Long.

After recovering from an elbow to the face on Saturday, Long smashed in a 25-yard screamer for Royals as they went down 3-1 to QPR at Loftus Road.

And the talented warrior is fit enough to lead the line at Madejski Stadium against Cardiff City tomorrow (8pm kick-off).

Karacan admitted that he and the rest of the Reading dressing room were sick of the jeers that the Republic of Ireland striker had received in previous games this season.

Karacan said: “It’s annoying when we see him get that stick now and then because he does an amazing job for the team, puts in performances week-in week-out and other boys get the credit.

“He works his nuts off up top and we’re delighted for him. He is our main striker and we need all the fans behind him.

“We all know what Shane can do. He’s got a bit of stick being our main striker and not getting enough goals, but he showed what he can do against QPR – he does that every day in training.”

The 23-year-old celebrated signing a new contract with his first goal from open play this campaign on Saturday.

Ironically, Long was also the first player to score from open play against Neil Warnock’s Superhoops at Loftus Road in the Championship this season.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 7:05am

Wednesday, 10th November, 2010

Long fears Cardiff City backlash

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/search/anthonysmith - SHANE LONG is ready to blame ex-Royals boss Brendan Rodgers for a Cardiff City backlash at the Madejski Stadium tonight (Wednesday, 8pm ko).

Reading went down 3-1 at 10-man QPR on the weekend while the Bluebirds suffered a 1-0 defeat to Rodgers’ Swansea City in the South Wales derby.

And Long expects a dramatic response from Dave Jones’ visitors who lie second in the table.

Long, wearing the bruises of a brutal encounter at Loftus Road, said: “I don’t think Cardiff were at the races, they had a bit of an off day and they missed Jay Bothroyd up front.

“It could be one of the worst things to happen for us because they’ll be well up for this next game. They’ll want to three points they threw away on Sunday, but we’ll have something to say about that.”

Top scorer Bothroyd is certain to start after serving a one-match suspension, and Long added: “They are a different side without Bothroyd but he’s back against us. Cardiff aren’t second in the table for nothing. They’re a great side and their bench is as strong as their first team.

Big test: Shane Long knows Cardiff City will be desperate to bounce back from losing the South Wales derby. But Craig Bellamy could be among the Bluebirds players missing.

“We’ll have to be at our very best to get a result - even if takes a 92nd minute from our goalkeeper Adam Federici to beat them again.”

Long has declared himself fit despite sporting a nasty black eye from the hoops derby at Loftus Road which he claims was the result of a Rangers elbow.

Long also netted a 25-yard screamer in the defeat - his first goal from open play this season. But the 23-year-old Republic of Ireland striker has continue to split opinions and was jeered off the pitch in the recent 4-3 win against Doncaster Rovers, despite playing on with a stomach bug.

“I was sick on the pitch and at half-time against Doncaster and I also got a nice shiner at QPR,” said the battered forward, who last week signed a new deal until summer 2012.

“I think the referee was the only person who didn’t see the elbow and I’m just thankful nothing was broken and no serious damage was done.

“My sight wasn’t great for 10 minutes but the eye went down during the game and I felt okay. I’m just thankful it wasn’t a lot worse so I’ll take a few painkillers to get rid of the headaches and I’ll be fit to play. I give as good as I get on the pitch and no doubt I’ll get another knock against Cardiff.”

-------------

Posted By: jb37
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 9:00am
Really needs to be consistantly scoring at championship level.  I believe he has the ability so lets hope his recent cracker v qpr is the start of a purple patch.  he showed in last years fa cup fixtures he can score against quality opposition so no reason he should be a 20 goal a season man for reading. Good to see he is firmly established in the team this term.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 10:49am
Longy usually scores in fits and starts. Let's hope he can go on a good goalscoring run now.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:15pm
http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16428,00.html - http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16428,00.html

1:11 Shane Long's goal against QPR. Clap

-------------

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Jokerman Jokerman wrote:

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16428,00.html - http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16428,00.html

ehhh thats an after match with neil warnock?

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:36pm

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid29318049001?bctid=663779029001 - http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid29318049001?bctid=663779029001

-------------

Posted By: decky_eire
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 1:35pm
take a bow son

-------------
I am no miracle worker....... I am just Giovanni

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:07am

Hunt delighted to see 'hurler' Long getting reward

By Daniel McDonnell

Wednesday November 17 2010

STEPHEN HUNT has paid tribute to Shane Long for sticking it out when others would have grown disillusioned by travelling around the world as an unused substitute.

Long will start tonight's friendly with Norway in the absence of Robbie Keane after doing a fine job of standing in for Kevin Doyle in Slovakia last month.

The Reading striker made a goalscoring substitute appearance against Russia a couple of days earlier, and his former club-mate Hunt is delighted to see the Tipperary native reaping the rewards for his patience after a period in his career where he appeared to be stuck in neutral.

"Shane Long has turned up for the last two years every time and he hasn't had much success in terms of coming on -- he hasn't come on in all the games," said Hunt. "It's hard sometimes when you're coming here and you're not getting on. You're sitting in a hotel room and stuff like that.

"Now, he's getting more regular football with his club and so that will benefit him as well. He's getting stronger and he has to develop.

"He had a year there when he may have stood still a little bit but he's better than that so he's progressing well again and showing his potential.

"He's a Tipperary hurler, to be honest. He hasn't got the physique of a footballer, but he's strong as an ox and he's quick and powerful so he'll be a handful. Even if he is having a bad game, he will still be in their faces and cause problems."

For Hunt, this is a significant period as well. The Waterford man has spent the majority of 2010 on the sidelines with a foot injury that initially appeared harmless but ended up bringing his career with Hull to a premature close.

Wolves were still ready to splash the cash, and the 29-year-old has returned to club action in the last month, enduring his own pre-season against some of the Premier League's big guns.

Naturally, considering his enthusiasm for the game, the period on the sidelines has been frustrating, especially watching Ireland from afar.

Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni admitted that Hunt's energy and defensive awareness were missed in the reverse at the hands of the Russians. A few texts from Trapattoni and assistant boss Marco Tardelli kept his spirits high during the lengthy hiatus.

"The most important thing is that you're mentally strong," said the winger of the lay-off.

"There are bad days. You do running and the next day you might be a bit sore so you're disappointed. It was slow coming back, but I'm back now so I'm glad. In my first couple of games after I came back, I had a back problem. I needed an injection to just settle it down.

"Thankfully that's gone away in the last week or so. I had a few niggles after coming back and so it's only now that I'm beginning to feel like a bit of an athlete. I feel good, so happy days."

However, with Damien Duff and Liam Lawrence starting in the wide roles tonight, and Trapattoni indicating that Aiden McGeady and Keith Treacy will feature as substitutes, Hunt may have to wait a little longer to fully remind Ireland's fans of his ability.

- Daniel McDonnell

Irish Independent

-------------

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:19am
big game for him tonight, would love to see him grab one

Posted By: domo
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:09am
Spoke to him in Solvakia what a guy really down to earth i asked him what his highlight of his career so far.It was coming off the bench and banging one in at Anfield in the cup but playing for Ireland is 10 times better.Really hope he gets a goal tonight

-------------
Shake and Bake

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 1:13pm
good luck tonite lad

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 3:44pm
Love this kid. Full of beans he is . Muscled hangeland at times and that says a lot .

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: Honey Monster
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:42pm
Surely if he can play like that at international level, he should be blowing the Championship apart and looking to move on from Reading. Hangerland is a top EPL defender and twice his size and he couldnt handle Long.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Surely if he can play like that at international level, he should be blowing the Championship apart and looking to move on from Reading. Hangerland is a top EPL defender and twice his size and he couldnt handle Long.
He's never going to score as much goals as Robbie Keane but I certainly think that he could make a similar impact to Doyle at a club like Wolves.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:30am

Long way to go

Saturday November 20 2010

FOR over two years, Giovanni Trapattoni has been searching for a striking alternative to Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle. Now it appears as though the answer was sitting there the whole time.

By now, Shane Long would be qualified enough to publish a Christmas stocking filler describing the view from the substitutes' benches in a variety of different grounds around Europe.

When available, the Reading striker is an ever-present in the Italian's squad selections. He was an extra in the World Cup qualifying campaign, a figure in a tracksuit who watched as individuals like Caleb Folan and Leon Best were promoted into big games, while he jostled for a place in the dugout.

All of a sudden, Long is looking like a different player for Ireland this autumn. His impressive substitute appearance against Russia last month was followed by a starring role in the draw with Slovakia in Zilina and another promising outing in the otherwise disappointing defeat to Norway on Wednesday night.

The plaudits have rained in from every direction, and there's a movement forming which argues that, if Keane remains in the background at Spurs, then perhaps it is time for Long to be promoted to the starting XI.

It's hard to imagine Trapattoni contemplating that, but there's one question that remains outstanding. On this evidence, why is Long still playing in the Championship? And why is there no speculation linking him with a move to the top flight?

It might come as a surprise to those who have been wowed by the 23-year-old's recent outings for his country that, at Reading, the fans are still unsure about the merits of the ex-Cork City striker.

On one of the most popular fan forums, an irate poster started a thread named, 'Long -- Time To Go' in frustration after the 1-0 defeat to Bristol City last month. As of yesterday, there was over 1,500 messages in response and no clear consensus.

Clearly, it's a divisive argument.

The thrust of the criticism is that while he may be a hard worker, his strike rate is below par. In short, he needs too many chances to score, and is not the man to lead the Royals back to the top division.

Long has started 16 games for Brian McDermott's side this year and scored four goals. But three of those came from the penalty spot; his calm spot-kick conversion for Ireland the other night demonstrated his comfort in that department. The return from open play is seized upon by his detractors.

In truth, the last couple of years have been slightly unusual for Long. After developing an effective super-sub reputation when Steve Coppell brought Reading to the Premier League, a change of personnel thrust responsibility upon his shoulders. When Kevin Doyle set sail for Wolves, Long started the 2009/10 campaign as favourite to be the Championship's top scorer with a new boss in Brendan Rodgers.

announced

Through a combination of injury and loss of form, he didn't score a goal until January, with Rodgers already having got the bullet. Long used to lodge with the new manager McDermott -- who had championed his recruitment in the first place -- and got off the mark with a strike that helped knock Liverpool out of the FA Cup.

It was a mixed bag for the rest of the campaign, with a brace against Aston Villa proving again that he can trouble elite defenders. But the flip side was a moderate total in the league -- hence the scepticism from the Madejski Stadium patrons carrying over into this campaign.

Earlier this month -- just a few weeks after brilliantly deputising for Doyle in Zilina -- he was booed by a section of Reading fans when he was replaced during a Championship meeting with Doncaster.

"Shane is still learning," said McDermott, in his defence. "But over the years, fans do sometimes give players a tough time. Shane had a difficult period with injuries but I know once he gets a few more goals, the fans will be on his side. The fact is we need fans to help him rather than go the other way. Confidence is a major factor in football, and every player is affected by it."

In the days after the Doncaster heckles, the club announced that Long had signed a new contract until 2012. He enjoys a good standard of living in Berkshire, and is believed to earn in the region of £15,000 a week, a hangover from the Premier League stint. Having become a father in the past year, his situation has changed off the pitch. Now, Irish fans are starting to see a growing maturity when he crosses the white line.

As it happens, there were parallels between his Irish outing during week and his previous club appearance for Reading in Saturday's 3-3 draw with Norwich. He was a bustling presence in that game and was on the mark with a penalty before missing a gilt-edged chance to claim three points.

Long was superb against Norway, yet his composure in front of goal let him down with Ireland on top in the second half. Considering he made the chances through his own endeavour, the profligacy was forgiven.

The ideal scenario is that the morale boost from his Irish displays propels the ex-Tipperary minor hurler to the next level. Certainly, there's no doubting his ability to make it there, but it won't happen until he finds the consistency to match the potential.

Irish Independent

-------------

Posted By: billybunter
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 1:21pm
long is a smashing young player. Deserves his chance. 

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 4:08pm
Nice brace for Long today, good win away from home too

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 4:28pm
He sure wins a lot of penalties. He's like the Duff of the penalty area.

-------------

Posted By: Aldos Tash
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 6:17pm
Some man to take a penalty aswell

-------------
Is fearr Gaelige bhriste na Bearla cliste

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 2:01pm
Daily Mail Irish Team of the Week:

Keiren Westwood

Richard Keogh
Damien Delaney
Mark Kennedy

Mark Yeates
Jamie Devitt
Paul Green
Stephen Quinn
Shane O'Connor

Shane Long
John O'Flynn

-------------

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 10:53am
Has had a blinder for reading today, scored twice and Noel Hunt got one tooThumbs%20Up

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: bossofthemoss
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 11:09am
Love to see the Reading lads doing well

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 11:11am
Long is having a blinding season and now he's starting to score goals consistently. That's 4 in 2 games, 10 this season for club and country. That's not to mention the amount of penalties he wins, the assists he claims, the creditable workrate.

He is a smashing player. Robbie Keane's successor.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 11:17am
Match report from Reading's official website

Inspired by Shane Long, Reading put in a top drawer performance to see off Bristol City 4-1 at Madejski Stadium this Boxing Day.

Long was absolutely brilliant, despite being ill in the days leading up to the game, and he was backed up by a number of other excellent performances.

City took an early lead through Jon Stead, but we showed great spirit to fight back and Jobi McAnuff's desire to get into the box allowed him to make it 1-1 on the half hour.

Long then did very briliantly to win the ball back from a City defender inside his own area, allowing Noel Hunt to tap home from close range for a very important goal.

Long then made it 3-1 in the second half with a cracking finish past David James, getting onto a sensational throughball from Alex Pearce in the process.

The Irishman then scored his seventh goal in ten games with another good finish, and it was a brilliant way to round off an excellent afternoon's entertainment. 

-------------

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 12:22pm
your man on SSN was absolutely raving about him today'lise a wasp you can't get rid of at a picnic'... 'and he's got the strawberrys!' great to hear, might give the football league show a look later if its on

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 12:46pm
well done shane, he really has had a revival this year and if keane is still not getting 1st team football you would have to think long deserves a chance

Posted By: Drummerboy
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 7:58pm
Glad to see his career seems to be taking off again

Posted By: Chipster
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 7:15am
What odds somebody like Wolves, West Ham or even Everton go for him in Jan?

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 8:28am
Reading manager http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Brian_McDermott_%28footballer%29 - Brian McDermott hailed Long's performance, saying: "Shane has been suffering with flu this week and wasn't able to train until Christmas http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Eve - Eve . It wasn't just the fact that he scored two goals today, it was his all-round performance."

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 8:55am

Bristol City boss Keith Millen also had words of praise for Long, saying : "He was terrific. He doesn't stop working and running and if you constantly run into the right areas as he does the chances will fall to you.

"As far as his work rate is concerned its harder to find someone who works harder than he does."

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 10:34am
On a role today. Just scored his second against Burnley.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 10:40am
only seems to score in two's, that's his third brace in his last five games!

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 11:22am
Great to see, he has always been a great worker akin to Doyler but now seems to be adding the goals as well. Its great for us. Hope he continues to push on and would love to see Reading promoted as well.

Posted By: yapster
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 4:38pm
 I think he deserves to be in the team ahead of Doyle tbh

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:12pm
Fair play to him, really playing brilliant this last few months, keep it going son.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by yapster yapster wrote:

Elaborate?

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 6:07pm

No he doesn't. He deserves to be there ahead of Keane.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: traphasntaclue
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 6:43pm
dead right long and doyle should be up front

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by bossofthemoss bossofthemoss wrote:

Elaborate?

He is playing well and scoring, Doyle is struggling in front of goal again this season. Long seems to have more of a hunger than Doyle it seems.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

No he doesn't. He deserves to be there ahead of Keane.

Maybe, but I don't think Doyle & Long would gel somehow...   Keane needs to get his game & attitude sorted out bigtime. I would like to see Stokes get a game soon. Doyles lack of goals is worrying, I know he works his socks off but he is in there to score goals at the end of the day. Keane gets himself into more scoring positions "even though he misses most of them" but his instinct for goal is way better than Doyles.

Posted By: Tuff Paddy
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 1:52am
I take it you didn't watch Reading regularly when they played up front together?

-------------
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 3:40am

Elaborate?

He is playing well and scoring, Doyle is struggling in front of goal again this season. Long seems to have more of a hunger than Doyle it seems.

Deserves it ahead of Keane, Doyle has been our best player for the last 18 months, he is playing well in a struggling wolves team, he operates as a lone target man to bring a pressing midfield into play, if you watch a wolves game, there will be occasions where he will not get 1 chance for 90mins, that’s because he operates unselfishly in the system of the team. He does the exact same for Ireland. When can you honestly say Doyle missed a sitter in this campaign?

It’s called being a target man, do people still not understand the dynamics of this and only equate a front players success to goals scored? Seriously…it baffles me about how some fans no so little about football…For me Robbie’s general play was awful in the last campaign, he scored goals though so that was excused, but he has been simply sub-standard in this campaign so far. Should have had a hat trick in Yerevan and was a disgrace against slovakia, his sense of entitlement to a starting berth has expired..Long has come into the fold and been a breath of fresh air, he runs the channels and like Doyle and even when he is not scoring he adds significantly to the team effort, which Keane rarely does and at times plays with the naivety of a 17 year old. Keane has a great record, but its time to demote him and give long, one of our few form players a chance.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 11:08am
A bright note on an otherwise terrible situation with our players not getting games.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Tuff Paddy
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 11:11am
They'll all be getting games soon - Keane, Given, Duff, all on the move.

-------------
Waka waka hey hey, we're in Armenia!

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Tuff Paddy Tuff Paddy wrote:

Where u think Duffer is going?

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 11:19am
I'll guess Keane to Villa, Duff to Blackburn and Given to somwehere like Roma.

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 12:37pm

If Keane gets a move and gets amongst the goals again then there is no way he will be dropped. Long is impressing big time and is pushing. But still reckon Keane and Doyle for now unless Keane doesn't get going when he gets his move.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Elaborate?

Deserves it ahead of Keane, Doyle has been our best player for the last 18 months, he is playing well in a struggling wolves team, he operates as a lone target man to bring a pressing midfield into play, if you watch a wolves game, there will be occasions where he will not get 1 chance for 90mins, that’s because he operates unselfishly in the system of the team. He does the exact same for Ireland. When can you honestly say Doyle missed a sitter in this campaign?

It’s called being a target man, do people still not understand the dynamics of this and only equate a front players success to goals scored? Seriously…it baffles me about how some fans no so little about football…For me Robbie’s general play was awful in the last campaign, he scored goals though so that was excused, but he has been simply sub-standard in this campaign so far. Should have had a hat trick in Yerevan and was a disgrace against slovakia, his sense of entitlement to a starting berth has expired..Long has come into the fold and been a breath of fresh air, he runs the channels and like Doyle and even when he is not scoring he adds significantly to the team effort, which Keane rarely does and at times plays with the naivety of a 17 year old. Keane has a great record, but its time to demote him and give long, one of our few form players a chance.

How many goals has Doyle scored?

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:50am

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Elaborate?

How many goals has Doyle scored?
you miss my point, you obviously hav'nt a clue mate

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:21am

I'd say Duff could end up at Liverpool?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 3:26am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I'd say Duff could end up at Liverpool?

Can't see this happening at this stage of his career, should have gone there instead of newcastle that time anyway.
If Hodgson goes back to Fulham for players it'd be more be for Dempsey or Hangleand 

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Posted By: sledgehammer
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:21am
Can t see Duffer going anywhere. He is back in the team over the last couple of weeks and played his first 90 minutes of the season last night in a 3 0 win. Form is Temporary -- Class is Permanent

-------------
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:49am
Long being linked with West Ham. Would that really be a good move for him?

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:47am
Just scored (again !!) to put Reading 1 up vs West Brom

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Mick_G
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Think it would be a terrible move for him,West ham are on a downward spiral

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Mick_G Mick_G wrote:

Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Think it would be a terrible move for him,West ham are on a downward spiral

agreed, thought he was moving to get away from the championshipWink

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 12:13pm

would not surprise me of Mick came in for him

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 1:39pm

He's probably our best player at the mo.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Drummerboy
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 6:50am
He is doing well. However its far easier to score in the Championship than the Premer League, just ask Kevin Doyle

Posted By: AndyMc
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Drummerboy Drummerboy wrote:

He is doing well. However its far easier to score in the Championship than the Premer League, just ask Kevin Doyle

Rob earnshaw, Michael chopra.....

-------------
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:13am
Cheers Long, Reading win in the accumalator

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by AndyMc AndyMc wrote:

clive mendonca

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He's probably our best player at the mo.

Himself and Coleman anyway seem to be the lads performing consistently.

Posted By: Ginzo
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:42am
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

clive mendonca

darren huckerby

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Ginzo Ginzo wrote:

Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

clive mendonca

darren huckerby
Nathan Ellington, david connolly

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:35am
and another Clap

Posted By: willGUFC
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:36am
just about to say he scored again what an improvement on last year, since that russia game he cant stop scoring

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:01am
playing really well at the mo anyone think he could play premier league football??

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Chipster
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 11:23am
Definitely, he has pace, he's toughened up a lot, scoring goals regularly now. Doesn't seem to be a lot of money around the middle to lower premiership clubs right now so may have to wait til the summer.

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 1:51pm
HAS to start against Wales and Macedonia

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Posted By: Pubes
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 6:04pm
going by form of the this season id have; Long, Stokes, Doyle, Keane, Best.  but nobody works as much as Doyle.. the best finisher is Stokes though, scores some special goals like the 1 today!

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

going by form of the this season id have; Long, Stokes, Doyle, Keane, Best.  but nobody works as much as Doyle.. the best finisher is Stokes though, scores some special goals like the 1 today!

What about Conor Sammon? Scored more goals than Stokes

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

Ridiculous post. Stokes has scored 1 goal in the past 2 and a half months bar penos...... in the SPL. I have been Stokes' biggest fan as you'll see from my posts but he's not performing so no need to big him up...

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 11:04am
Another goal today for Shane. This time the winning goal against Stevenage.

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 2:37pm
It's great to see Long fulfilling his potential.
He has had a lot of critics at Reading - yet he cant stop scoring.
Fantastic news.

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 6:26pm
He could be the top championship scorer if he keeps up his form.

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: wolfe
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 2:55pm
shane long in talks with Celtic

-------------
come ahead

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by wolfe wolfe wrote:

shane long in talks with Celtic

didn't hear this. where you getting that from?

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 3:53pm
Looks as if he went off injured tonight.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net