You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 306>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

What a pathetic effort to try and score .... couldn't even hit the target
are you for real? LOL

There is no excuse for Long not hitting the target. 

Any half decent striker scores that.

held off replying earlier in case i initially misread it (in viewing terms) and got it wrong. Having just watched it again on MOTD, I stand by my initial response to the OP. It was an incredibly difficult ‘chance’. He had to totally readjust and go back and then turn and shoot. Now you may say, well he’s a striker and thats his job, and you’re right to a degree. However he had little to no time. There was a defender close by and he was only going to get one bite. He was unlucky as his positioning was actually very good initially, just the shot was so powerful it rebounded the way it did.

Good striker doesn't need to think, just poachers instinct
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 11:55pm
Definitely was not an easy chance, but he should have got a better connection on it.
We're decent enough..
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:13am
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

are you for real? LOL

held off replying earlier in case i initially misread it (in viewing terms) and got it wrong. Having just watched it again on MOTD, I stand by my initial response to the OP. It was an incredibly difficult ‘chance’. He had to totally readjust and go back and then turn and shoot. Now you may say, well he’s a striker and thats his job, and you’re right to a degree. However he had little to no time. There was a defender close by and he was only going to get one bite. He was unlucky as his positioning was actually very good initially, just the shot was so powerful it rebounded the way it did.

which he had, his initial position was excellent. When it comes to those situations its majorly down to luck. After that, its the difference between us sitting here on keyboards and Shane Long having just played in a PL game.
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 4:26am

are you for real? LOL

which he had, his initial position was excellent. When it comes to those situations its majorly down to luck. After that, its the difference between us sitting here on keyboards and Shane Long having just played in a PL game.

Well if it's down to luck Shane Long must be smashing some amount of mirrors. He misses too many sitters to be classified as a poacher. 10 goals in over 90 apps cant be attributed to bad luck over last 3 years. He is just all work ethic and no end product. 32 years of age and only passed 10 league goal barrier twice In his career. He makes Emile Heskey look prolific.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:36am

10 goals in over 90 apps cant be attributed to bad luck over last 3 years. He is just all work ethic and no end product. 32 years of age and only passed 10 league goal barrier twice In his career. He makes Emile Heskey look prolific.

With (roughly) 1 goal every 4 appearances for Ireland, he also makes all of Hogan, Robinson, McGoldrick, Maguire and Collins look even less prolific, even collectively (just the single competitive goal for DMG out of all those collective appearances I think).

I'm not even a fan of his, but compared to the strikers we've had on the bench & have got some game time for this campaign, tis hard to claim he isn't worthy of at least a place on the bench. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 12:50pm

are you for real? LOL

Well if it's down to luck Shane Long must be smashing some amount of mirrors. He misses too many sitters to be classified as a poacher. 10 goals in over 90 apps cant be attributed to bad luck over last 3 years. He is just all work ethic and no end product. 32 years of age and only passed 10 league goal barrier twice In his career. He makes Emile Heskey look prolific.
overall, no argument. This is about one chance that he supposedly should have buried to which i disagree. 
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 5:05pm
Played pretty well today,never stopped running, was a handful, his play made a goal for Ings, missed a couple of sitters.Typical Shane performance.

Him and Didsy are two of the most consistent players we've ever had. They seem to have a blueprint they play almost every game by.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 21 Dec 2019 at 5:09pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 10:23am
He showed some pace to get ahead of the defender to get the shot away which led to the first goal. Who was that defender? he seemed very slow, Long started a few yards behind him and roasted him.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 1:33pm
Rumour has it, Robbie and Shane do not see eye to eye. Hence, the snub.

If true, it's f**king ridiculous.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Id assume that is rubbish. Mick does not strike me as the type to snub a player cause one of his assistants might not like it anyway. Mullarkey id say.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Id assume that is rubbish. Mick does not strike me as the type to snub a player cause one of his assistants might not like it anyway. Mullarkey id say.

Especially an assistant who (I get the impression) Mick isn't fussed whether they're in the coaching staff or not. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2019 at 7:56pm
doubtful over the festive period with a knee injury 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:56pm
know I have a better chance at scoring vs Slovakia than Shane but still think he should be in the squad. Good sub today with his energy and runs. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:23pm
Connolly - McGoldrick - Long

You've got pace, power, work ethic, players who can and hold the ball, run the channels and cause defenders all sorts of problems.

They'd probably do everything but score :(
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

know I have a better chance at scoring vs Slovakia than Shane but still think he should be in the squad. Good sub today with his energy and runs. 

Agree that he's looking better but would you have him ahead of the potentially exciting partnership of mcgoldrick and connolly?
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 11:57pm
Mc goldrick and long I think would be far better than mc goldrick/Connolly....I think long would actually occupy defenders more for mc goldrick to get in on goal,if he puts them away is another thing.
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 12:23am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Mc goldrick and long I think would be far better than mc goldrick/Connolly....I think long would actually occupy defenders more for mc goldrick to get in on goal,if he puts them away is another thing.

Would prefer McGoldrick as link man with Connolly. Relying on McGoldrick and Long for goals......that's not worth thinking about.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 3:46pm
Scores. Get in
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 306>
  Share Topic