Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 306>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Just because the Americans came up with something doesn't mean it's useless. The concept of the assist is entirely intuitive; in an attacking sense, the most valuable player in a team after a goalscorer is the guy who creates opportunities for the goalscorer. De Bruyne, Silva, Mata, Iniesta etc. would provide hatfuls of assists regardless of who their teammates were, simply because they're so brilliant at playing incisive passes.

As I clearly said above it isn't entirely intuitive, the statistic that shows the number of clear cut chances created would be much closer to being entirely intuitive. I'm sure the players who have played alongside Long the most would have seen their assist stats drop due to his drought.

Define a "clear cut chance"? In any case, there is a widely used "chances created" stat. Assists are rightly regarded as a superior measure of a players creativity.
That opaqueness you are implying is the very point I was making about assists; what is an assist? Can you define one? Assists are given to the last player to touch the ball, provided it is with attacking intent, to touch a ball before the goalscorer. That is hardly assisting anything! Hector Enrique would be 'given' an assist today for his pass to Maradona in '86. 
If people can take the time to measure such irrelevance, they can surely measure clear cut chances created. I can do it watching a game I'm not even interested in! A clear shot at goal, from a reasonable distance, that was caused by the final attacking pass made. Hardly splitting the atom.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 10:34pm

Just because the Americans came up with something doesn't mean it's useless. The concept of the assist is entirely intuitive; in an attacking sense, the most valuable player in a team after a goalscorer is the guy who creates opportunities for the goalscorer. De Bruyne, Silva, Mata, Iniesta etc. would provide hatfuls of assists regardless of who their teammates were, simply because they're so brilliant at playing incisive passes.

As I clearly said above it isn't entirely intuitive, the statistic that shows the number of clear cut chances created would be much closer to being entirely intuitive. I'm sure the players who have played alongside Long the most would have seen their assist stats drop due to his drought.

Define a "clear cut chance"? In any case, there is a widely used "chances created" stat. Assists are rightly regarded as a superior measure of a players creativity.

That opaqueness you are implying is the very point I was making about assists; what is an assist? Can you define one? Assists are given to the last player to touch the ball, provided it is with attacking intent, to touch a ball before the goalscorer. That is hardly assisting anything! Hector Enrique would be 'given' an assist today for his pass to Maradona in '86. 
If people can take the time to measure such irrelevance, they can surely measure clear cut chances created. I can do it watching a game I'm not even interested in! A clear shot at goal, from a reasonable distance, that was caused by the final attacking pass made. Hardly splitting the atom.

So your entire argument is that simply because an assist could be a scuffed shot/deflection off someone's a**e, it should be considered no more important than any pass? A goal could be scored in exactly the same manner, yet we still regard it as a goal. Similarly, your "clear cut chance" statistic could also come about in precisely the same way. And I don't quite think you've resolved the vagueness of your own criteria; a "reasonable distance"? What is that? 5 metres, 10 metres, 30 metres? It's utterly arbitrary. The assist is an entirely intuitive and clear-cut measure, hence why it's recognised by just about everyone as the most important measure of a players attacking prowess after their goalscoring record.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 10:50pm
If the measurement of an assist was whether you had actually created a goal it would be more meaningful as opposed to just being the last player to touch the ball before the scorer which is far from the same thing.Obviously being an attacking player - striker,winger or playing in the role you're going to be having touches in and around the penalty box. Often the assist kings are simply the players that happen to take set pieces.
A goalscoring chances created stat, which is actually recorded by opta, is a far more relevant measure of a player's offensive performance and influence.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 10:51pm

So your entire argument is that simply because an assist could be a scuffed shot/deflection off someone's a**e, it should be considered no more important than any pass? A goal could be scored in exactly the same manner, yet we still regard it as a goal. Similarly, your "clear cut chance" statistic could also come about in precisely the same way. And I don't quite think you've resolved the vagueness of your own criteria; a "reasonable distance"? What is that? 5 metres, 10 metres, 30 metres? It's utterly arbitrary. The assist is an entirely intuitive and clear-cut measure, hence why it's recognised by just about everyone as the most important measure of a players attacking prowess after their goalscoring record.
You get there!Slowly, but you get there! My  argument, which should be abundantly clear, to nearly, and I must say nearly, everyone, is that most statistics in football are arbitrary.

Edited by pre Madonna - 28 Dec 2017 at 11:25pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 12:12am
The old cop-out, "everything's arbitrary so I can't be wrong!". Why am I not surprised PM... What are the few statistics which are not arbitrary in that case? And explain to me why they are less arbitrary than that of the assist?
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 10:47am

The old cop-out, "everything's arbitrary so I can't be wrong!". Why am I not surprised PM... What are the few statistics which are not arbitrary in that case? And explain to me why they are less arbitrary than that of the assist?
'Cop-out'LOLLOL How is old Defour doing on the Burnley bench, to give just one example I can think of of an argument you have hid from when you were wrong.

I would imagine that assists figures are deemed far more important by fans and the media than managers or players by the very fact they tell us so little about how the goal was made. It has been well known, for quite some time, and documented in the broadsheet sports media that managers are far more interest in the stat of chances created, is it really that hard to believe that they don't have parameters for what is clear cut?
The fact that Shane Long gets the same 'credit' for his 'assist' the other day as Kevin De Bruyne does for any of his magnificent passes shows just how arbitrary the statistic really is.

Of course, on the other hand, Long could have De Bruyne, Messi and Hazard behind him and all it would do is diminish their 'assist' stats, but you would still be praising Long for being the best in the world at running about aimlessly and sometimes winning free-kicks.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 10:52am
The night Everton beat Swansea recently Wayne Rooney overtook Cesc Fabregas (I think) to go second in the all time Premier League assists table. His first "assist" that night was when his penalty hit the post and Calvert Lewin scored the rebound and his second was a square 5 yard pass in the centre of the field which Sigurdsson took and ran on and struck in a great goal from about 25 yards.

Now of course all of his previous 100-odd assists or whatever it was were hardly this fortunate, but it kind of supports Pre Madonna's point.

Assists are very important for fantasy football though!

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 29 Dec 2017 at 10:52am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The night Everton beat Swansea recently Wayne Rooney overtook Cesc Fabregas (I think) to go second in the all time Premier League assists table. His first "assist" that night was when his penalty hit the post and Calvert Lewin scored the rebound and his second was a square 5 yard pass in the centre of the field which Sigurdsson took and ran on and struck in a great goal from about 25 yards.

Now of course all of his previous 100-odd assists or whatever it was were hardly this fortunate, but it kind of supports Pre Madonna's point.

Assists are very important for fantasy football though!
Arguably another reason for their upturn in popularity.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:53pm
Starts today against Man Utd
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:19pm
So awful against Spurs that he retains his place again Who knows, perhaps Pellegrino is a fan of the "assist"
We're decent enough..
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:48pm
long playing really well tonight, would be on the scoresheet only for brilliant reactions from de gea
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:16pm
Had to feel for Long when he was being substituted there. Completely frustrated
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

long playing really well tonight, would be on the scoresheet only for brilliant reactions from de gea

Shot was straight at him though
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:22pm
He is more athlete than footballer.
AKA pedantic kunt
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 8:06pm
He is only in that team because of lack of options, not down to his brilliance. That probably won't be the case come the end of January when Southampton spend some of their cash windfall from VVD sale. 

Gabbiadini is in as bad form as Long is, neither does he run about as much. Austin is injured. Those aren't great options. When there are more options, and tis nearly certain there will be after the transfer window, Long either starts scoring goals or will see out the season on the bench, getting a few minutes here & there mainly when games are already won or lost. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 8:03pm
the drought is over
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 8:03pm
Scores. Wahey
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 8:05pm
He’s actually scored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 306>
  Share Topic