You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:17pm
Nothing to do with arrogance - market forces, based on the Premier League's obvious popularity decide the television revenue generated and thus how much money Huddersfield receive from being their possible relegation. Market forces also decide the TV revenue the SPFL and its 'stars' such as Leigh Griffiths generate. A player who would be far more likely to join Hull or Forest than Manchester United or Chelsea were he to move down south.

And I really don't see how you can rate him as a superior player to Long on the basis of his performances in the Scottish Premiership. Kenny Miller was still ripping it up in that league last season. He turns 38 this year.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 29 Aug 2017 at 10:19pm
Sponsored Links

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:21pm
Ah well, decent thread while it lasted
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:21pm
Celtic won't be signing Long so it is completely immaterial. The club have two fine strikers and although Rodgers is looking for a third, the club won't be paying him the same money that Long is on.

Everything else is opinion, but I wouldn't swap Griffiths for Long for Celtic and would rather Griff was the one born in Tipperary.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Celtic won't be signing Long so it is completely immaterial. The club have two fine strikers and although Rodgers is looking for a third, the club won't be paying him the same money that Long is on.

Everything else is opinion, but I wouldn't swap Griffiths for Long for Celtic and would rather Griff was the one born in Tipperary.

Saw that he's looking to the PL to try and get a young striker in loan as third choice, probably the most sensible option unless Molt of Motherwell or someone is happy to be back up.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:36pm
Bar YBIG he hasn't even been linked with Celtic, so I wouldn't be getting worried about it.

Also, silly mentioning Gordon and Lustig. If they were to buy Long it wouldn't be for goals or right back.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:45pm
Long has become like Robbie Keane- linked with Celtic every time hes unsettled. I would be amazed if he ends up at Parkhead. As for is he better than Griffiths- who cares. Think he might end up at Middlesboro or something. A more pressing matter is, will he start on saturday?
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Saw that he's looking to the PL to try and get a young striker in loan as third choice, probably the most sensible option unless Molt of Motherwell or someone is happy to be back up.
Moult would be another Nadir Ciftci and I think Celtic should only go down the loan route if it improves the team. I think it will be very difficult to get a suitable third striker in, it would probably have to be someone who is completely frozen out at their current club and is happy for any chance he can get and would be allowed to leave cheaply.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Bar YBIG he hasn't even been linked with Celtic, so I wouldn't be getting worried about it.

Also, silly mentioning Gordon and Lustig. If they were to buy Long it wouldn't be for goals or right back.
It all came for this, which I saw on a Celtic forum. I wouldn't say it is a reliable source.

Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 3:54am
Long's a good player, I've time for the man, but not a hope is he as good as Griffiths - not on current form anyway. Would love to see him signing for Celtic though; he'd be a great option and he'd score for fun up there (boosting his confidence along the way). It'd be great for both parties, but unfortunately Celtic are too stingy to meet his wage demands :/

Doubtful that he starts for us on Saturday, I reckon
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Griffiths is a different type player to Shane Long which people seem to be missing.

Long would still be a very good signing Celtic, he would be excellent to have in the team away from home in Europe especially imo.

Given Celtic are due 10% of any money made on the sale of VVD, in essence they could probably get Long for free which would be superb business, but no doubt Celtic would probably prefer the £££

Spot on Griffiths and Long are certainly different types of players Long would be a great signing for Celtic considering how injury prone Dembele is.

Can't see it happening though.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 6:02am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:09am

If they were to buy Long it wouldn't be for goals

Precisely why he would be behind Griff and Dembele in the pecking order..
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:16am
Originally posted by mike74 mike74 wrote:

If they were to buy Long it wouldn't be for goals

Precisely why he would be behind Griff and Dembele in the pecking order..

LOLLOL

That's not what I meant, but good one
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:55am
SL is an Irish player and so I'd want him to be very successful, but sometimes I feel I make the mistake of initially rating Irish players better than the actually are, more in hope/expectation than anything else. After a while I appreciate the players real worth. SL comes into this category.
Shane he has had some memorable moments in a green shirt and scored some valuable goals, and is as genuine and honest as the day is long. He also come across as a decent and likeable bloke. However at club level their is a worrying trend with him in that he has had several moves between clubs and never been a regular starter, and is sold when a reasonable offer comes in for him. So it would appear from the outside that several EPL managers have felt him surplus to requirements. I get the sense the MON doesn't really trust him either.

It occurs to me that Shane's game is totally instinctive and he has never fully developed or improved the more nuanced aspects of his game. He is quite limited. At times his first touch is poor and his pass selection is questionable. He is not a natural footballer and relies on his pace and aerial prowess, qualities which have allowed him make a good career and a very rich young man.

The question is - from an Irish team perspective, is it better that he plays a bit part in a mid to lower EPL team only getting a run when his team is behind and chasing a game or moving to a top end Champ club and getting regular football and scoring goals. I'd prefer him playing in the champ and playing more often.

Then from Shane's own perspective - he's 30 nearing the end, is probably on a decent salary in the most vaunted league in the world. Why drop a division to get game time especially if he feels that MON has his mind made up about him.

I expect him to move if not this month but certainly in the next transfer window - even more so if we make it to Russia.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 12:46pm
Griffiths has only ever performed at L1/SPL level, I'd take Long ahead of him any day of the week. Dembele is the best of all of them, or at least he will be.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Griffiths has only ever performed at L1/SPL level, I'd take Long ahead of him any day of the week. Dembele is the best of all of them, or at least he will be.
Griffiths should be first choice striker now, he has improved 100% over the past couple of years. I thought that both him and Stokes should leave the club, but his attitude as been excellent and has improved every part of his game. 
It is all just opinion, but I wouldn't have Long in the same class as him now. A few seasons ago it would have been the other way around. Winning free-kicks can only do so much and Long has never really developed his game beyond that.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 6:32pm
A move to Celtic would be a rebirth for him, could see him bagging 20+ a season the way he did in the Championship. Sure it was only last season he hit 10 in the PL after a good run of game time and a confidence boost.

Cant see it happening tho.
Garngad View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garngad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 10:17am
I would love Shane Long to come to Celtic but with Rodgers only playing 1 up front, it would be hard to give 3 good players like Long Griffiths & Dembele sufficent game time unless one is out for a long period of time. Most Celtic fans i know would love Long too but Griffiths has improved over the past year domestically we shall see how much in a the 1st 2 CL games
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 306>
  Share Topic