Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 306>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 2:44pm
Everton are looking for another striker before the deadline, he was signed by Koeman for Southampton so he may be someone he could be looking at.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 5:45pm
Celtic are in for him.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Celtic are in for him.
I would take that with a large pinch of salt. His wages would be far too much to be third choice striker.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 5:49pm
Complete BS
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 5:50pm
Yep true.
What wages would he be on?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yep true.
What wages would he be on?

At an estimate, 45k or so. He has moved within the EPL a few times, he will have got a few grand more each time I imagine.
gaelicbhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaelicbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 7:37pm
I would imagine £45k would be within Celtics budget as I cant imagine Scott Sinclair is on much less.

Might be something in this move to Celtic.

Virgil Van Dijk is looking to leave Southampton and Celtic have a sell on fee so something might be neg in this payment to let Long go on loan
--------------------------------
For the sake of my working life I hope we beat Scotland!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by gaelicbhoy gaelicbhoy wrote:

I would imagine £45k would be within Celtics budget as I cant imagine Scott Sinclair is on much less.

Might be something in this move to Celtic.

Virgil Van Dijk is looking to leave Southampton and Celtic have a sell on fee so something might be neg in this payment to let Long go on loan
i doubt scott sinclair is on 45 grand at celtic or anywhere near it. I dont see any reports linking him with celtic??
AVFCAnne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVFCAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:16pm
Stranger things have happened but I would be seriously surprised to see Long at Celtic any time soon.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:22pm
A few loan move rumours on twitter
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:29pm
He would be fighting it out with dembele and griffiths at celtic. Woukd not be guaranteed a place there either.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:45pm
He's hardly a superstar of a level that it's hard to believe Celtic would get him

Would he even get a game with a full strength team
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He's hardly a superstar of a level that it's hard to believe Celtic would get him

Would he even get a game with a full strength team
This is a ridiculous rumour really, but as we are at it, the answer to the above question is no chance.

I think Sinclair is reportedly on around 35-40k, I would tend to go to the lower figure, and is the highest paid player at the club, so it isn't outlandish to suggest Celtic might give a player 45k. When that player is going to be third-choice in his position,  then it becomes outlandish.

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:50pm
Celtic fans would like you to believe Long's not good enough for their team of superstars- too big for him. The truth is Long's too big for Celtic.They could never afford the transfer fee, nor his wages (unless it was a loan move with his pay subsidised by Southampton).

Celtic have the likes of Lustig, Griffiths, Gordon (who came virtually came out of retirement to play for them) and the limited Forrest as first team players. None of whom would join a Premier League were they to leave. Long is a Premier League player for an eighth season in succession. They offered Mulgrew a new contract a year ago. He's now playing in League 1.

There's a lot of arrogance and an obvious false sense of their club's true status, where Celtic supporters are concerned.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 29 Aug 2017 at 9:51pm
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Celtic fans would like you to believe Long's not good enough for their team of superstars- too big for him. The truth is Long's too big for Celtic.They could never afford the transfer fee, nor his wages (unless it was a loan move with his pay subsidised by Southampton).

Celtic have the likes of Lustig, Griffiths, Gordon (who came virtually came out of retirement to play for them) and the limited Forrest as first team players. None of whom would join a Premier League were they to leave. Long is a Premier League player for an eighth season in succession. They offered Mulgrew a new contract a year ago. He's now playing in League 1.

There's a lot of arrogance and an obvious false sense of their club's true status, where Celtic supporters are concerned.

its not arrogance at all. Shane Long is a good player, but he is simply not as good a player as either Griffiths or Dembele. The real arrogance is in the EPL where clubs like Huddersfield earn far more from being relegated than Celtic would if they won the treble and advanced in the UCL.

Edited by schillaci - 29 Aug 2017 at 10:06pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

its not arrogance at all. Shane Long is a good player, but he is simply not as good a player as either Griffiths or Dembele. The real arrogance is in the EPL where clubs like Huddersfield earn far more from being relegated than Celtic would if they won the treble and advanced in the UCL.

hang on now. Shane long is a much much superior player to griffiths. That is no doubt at all. The only difference is griffiths might put the ball in the net more often but then shane has never played in the spl so his scoring might be on a par up there.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:12pm
Exactly. It is simply realism. Griffiths is now the first choice striker, while Dembele, his reserve, was recently attracting interest from across Europe.
Fans of all teams overhype players, none more so than the Irish and often without reason. I can admit easily who is good enough and who isn't; Craig Gordon isn't good enough, for example.
FWIW, James Forrest won't be first choice now either.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:17pm
Griffiths is a different type player to Shane Long which people seem to be missing.

Long would still be a very good signing Celtic, he would be excellent to have in the team away from home in Europe especially imo.

Given Celtic are due 10% of any money made on the sale of VVD, in essence they could probably get Long for free which would be superb business, but no doubt Celtic would probably prefer the £££
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 306>
  Share Topic