Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 306>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:59am

He should sign for one of the newly promoted sides. He'd 100% be their main man up top

Sponsored Links

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:02am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

He should sign for one of the newly promoted sides. He'd 100% be their main man up top

Not a bad idea.

I think we over rate Long on here a bit as he's generally decent for Ireland. Fact is though he's a striker that just doesn't score enough goals. 
@AntrimMan85
Lodger View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:32am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:35am
To be so heavily reliant on a striker that doesn't score goals is scary. 

If he was to be missing it would have to be Murphy or Walters. 

Is Kevin Doyle's move to Arsenal still on? 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:39am
He was injured lads, calm down.
We're decent enough..
mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:43am

100% be their main man?
Really??!!

He hasn't been anyone's main man in the epl for more than about 6 months. He just doesn't score enough goals at that level.

Unfortunately we have no one more capable than him at present so rely on him and would miss him against Austria if he is injured for that.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by mike74 mike74 wrote:

100% be their main man?
Really??!!

He hasn't been anyone's main man in the epl for more than about 6 months. He just doesn't score enough goals at that level.

Unfortunately we have no one more capable than him at present so rely on him and would miss him against Austria if he is injured for that.

You're telling me if he went to Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield or Reading then he wouldn't be their main man?
Keano2000 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keano2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:59am

Originally posted by mike74 mike74 wrote:

100% be their main man?
Really??!!

You're telling me if he went to Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield or Reading then he wouldn't be their main man?
Huddersfield and Reading yes, not the other 2.  Maybe Brighton.

Edited by Keano2000 - 18 May 2017 at 10:00am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:00am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Not a bad idea.

I think we over rate Long on here a bit as he's generally decent for Ireland. Fact is though he's a striker that just doesn't score enough goals. 

If I were a Newcastle, Brighton or Huddersfield/Reading fan I certainly wouldn't be over the moon if the club were to sign Long. That's the sad truth.
As a team, You might get 2/3 chances against the bigger sides and need to put them away, Long as we know needs more than that on his own.
Back up at a lower to mid table side, maybe get a run through injuries is about it imo
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:04am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Not a bad idea.

If I were a Newcastle, Brighton or Huddersfield/Reading fan I certainly wouldn't be over the moon if the club were to sign Long. That's the sad truth.
As a team, You might get 2/3 chances against the bigger sides and need to put them away, Long as we know needs more than that on his own.
Back up at a lower to mid table side, maybe get a run through injuries is about it imo

Agree with your points - for clarity, it would be a good move for him - as others have suggested, if you supported one of those clubs, his signing would probably be underwhelming at best.
@AntrimMan85
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:10am

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Not a bad idea.

Agree with your points - for clarity, it would be a good move for him - as others have suggested, if you supported one of those clubs, his signing would probably be underwhelming at best.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:26am
I agree his chance conversion ratio isn't ideal for a newly promoted side that will likely create few chances, however his extremely high work rate and pace would be. I'd love to see him go to Brighton and work with Hughton. Their main striker is 33 year old Glenn Murray who, to be fair, has had a great season but is definitely someone you would imagine Long can dislodge.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He was injured lads, calm down.
No room for facts in here son
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:10am

The expectation of 'main man' is to score lots of goals to keep them in the EPL.

Long does not score enough goals to fulfil this role.

I think if he were to play with another 'goal scoring' striker that would take the pressure off him.

I'd say Long playing with a player like Defoe would be ideal.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:12am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The expectation of 'main man' is to score lots of goals to keep them in the EPL.

Long does not score enough goals to fulfil this role.

I think if he were to play with another 'goal scoring' striker that would take the pressure off him.

I'd say Long playing with a player like Defoe would be ideal.

Or a fit Carroll at West Ham, but that'd be expecting a lot
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:36am
Off to Burnley with him so!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:39am
Klopp might come back in for him Wink
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Off to Burnley with him so!

That's actually not a bad shout at all. He's better than Vokes and could form a pretty good partnership with Gray. Certainly bundles of pace between them. Burnley might eventually just become the Irish team but playing in the Prem!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232233234235236 306>
  Share Topic