You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 2:16pm
Okazaki was an integral part of a Premier League winning team playing a similar enough role to Long, people discredit Long based on his finishing but he clearly brings enough to the team to compensate for that, like Okazaki did for Leicester.

Him earning a new 2 year contract at his age through performances at club level make Mick McCarthy look an even bigger fool. He could have a big 12 months for us if he keeps up his form that he had before Covid. A Euros on the horizon too to motivate him when before he had little hope with Micks stubborn nonsense. Would not he surprised to see him in the starting lineup against Slovakia.
Sponsored Links

cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Okazaki was an integral part of a Premier League winning team playing a similar enough role to Long, people discredit Long based on his finishing but he clearly brings enough to the team to compensate for that, like Okazaki did for Leicester.

Him earning a new 2 year contract at his age through performances at club level make Mick McCarthy look an even bigger fool. He could have a big 12 months for us if he keeps up his form that he had before Covid. A Euros on the horizon too to motivate him when before he had little hope with Micks stubborn nonsense. Would not he surprised to see him in the starting lineup against Slovakia.

Problem is that Long and McGoldrick are both forwards who do everything but score. Don’t think you could start both of them, but agree that Long should have been apart of these teams as he clearly offers more than some Championship/L1 players that Mick loved. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 2:23pm
He wasn't playing when McCarthy was in charge. He only came back into the side towards the play offs.

I still would have had him in the squad though.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He wasn't playing when McCarthy was in charge. He only came back into the side towards the play offs.

I still would have had him in the squad though.

He was always getting reasonable playing time. There is a big difference between not being an automatic starter, and "not playing".
We're decent enough..
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Problem is that Long and McGoldrick are both forwards who do everything but score. Don’t think you could start both of them, but agree that Long should have been apart of these teams as he clearly offers more than some Championship/L1 players that Mick loved. 
Exactly. Both good players that will create space and chances for a goalscorer ala Ings....It all makes sense to why we are a poor team now, we don't have a quality striker or anything resembling a midfield.LOL
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:29pm
Fingers crossed that with the list of attacking options we have, that someone comes to the fore over the next year that can "put in a shift" while actually scoring goals too. 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:45pm
A goal every six games on average (roughly) for the saints. Thought it was less than that. 

The deceptive thing is that he can go months without scoring and then puts a mini scoring run together.

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 04 Jun 2020 at 8:40pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:59pm
He's always been a "streak" goalscorer. Unfortunately those streaks seem to come at longer intervals than they did before... In fairness to him though, while his finishing may not have become better as he's aged, his general play certainly has. His touch and use of possession  are way better now than they were in his early to mid 20's.
We're decent enough..
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 8:25pm
Very good news for Longy i must say 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:10pm
Didn't think O'Shea would be able to post on here with the news. Thought he'd be in a coma on euphoria over his favourite player! LOL

Say Kenny will bring Long back into the squad but not sure if he'll be a starter
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Any idea what sort of bunts he is on?

SL has carved himself out a very good premier league career.... career wise!

He does seem to have done pretty well for himself. Fair play to him. 
Think it will be 13 years in the premier league if he finishes the 2 years there.

He has certainly made the most of his career given his obvious weakness in front of goal. 
Like young Glenn Whelan it shows that managers do rate what he brings to the team.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:32am
Shane has 17 goals for the Eire but hasnt scored for us in 11 games going back to 2016.

Around 2016 he had 6 goals in 2 years and was our No1 striker. I thought he would become our 2nd highest goal scorer. Now I wouldn’t bet on him getting to 20.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 5:25pm
Not in the squad again today. He's had a good run in the PL. He's always managed to defy expectations and get back into the team when everyone writes him off, but I can't see a way back for him now. I'd like to see him push for a move to a Championship team in January as he's too good to rot on the bench at this stage of his career. He's still a better player than any of our other striking options ATM IMO.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 5:44pm
Why does he have to move to the Championship, particularly?

Only signed a lucrative 2-year contract recently so I doubt he'll be in a hurry to throw that away at this stage of his career.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Why does he have to move to the Championship, particularly?

Only signed a lucrative 2-year contract recently so I doubt he'll be in a hurry to throw that away at this stage of his career.

I seriously doubt he'd get a PL move and his family is settled in the south coast so a move out of the country is out of the question. Don't get me wrong - I don't think he will push for a move necessarily. I'd just like him to. He still has another 12-18 months of good football left in him and I can't see him getting anything approaching regular game time with the form of Ings and Adams and the emergence of N'Lundulu. I mean Ings was out injured for a couple of games and Obafemi's been pushed aside for the moment and it still didn't increase his game time.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 6:18pm
I think Shane Long has resigned himself to a bit part player with Southampton until his contract sees itself out and he'll retire.

In a similar way with Randolph he can enjoy a good premier league contract and support the team when needed. Or he can play games in the championship for less money.

I can't blame him for extending his stay with Southampton 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think Shane Long has resigned himself to a bit part player with Southampton until his contract sees itself out and he'll retire.

In a similar way with Randolph he can enjoy a good premier league contract and support the team when needed. Or he can play games in the championship for less money.

Could he not keep his salary at the same level while going out on loan? That is generally what happens when players go on loan, their salary is paid partially by both. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Could he not keep his salary at the same level while going out on loan? That is generally what happens when players go on loan, their salary is paid partially by both. 

I suspect Southampton offered him a new contract so that he can be available if there is injuries or game congestion. 

Hes 34 soon, a loan move is pointless at this point of his career. Southampton want him as a bit part player.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 306>
  Share Topic