You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 159>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenmachine68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by greenmachine68 greenmachine68 wrote:

nothing pre-determined about watching a fella with 70 odd caps steal an international career. That's just my opinion, based on the type of midfielder I like to watch and would prefer to see in an Ireland shirt.
Who exactly would you have had ahead of him? 
anybody who has the balls to show for the ball and pass it forward.,All this talk about this stellar premiership career he had, playing for stoke in the midfield under pulis, he would have been bypassed most of the time. While some recent Ireland managers like to go direct, I think defenders are left with no option with people like whelan in the team.
That's all well and good but can you name the alternatives over the past 10 years?
If your happy watching glen whelan for Ireland, I respect your opinion. With regard to alternatives, does it matter now. Liam Brady was an alternative for Ireland under charlton did he play? No. Managers opinion. I'll not be sorry to see him finish with Ireland. I might watch his career highlights video though. It should only take 5mins.
You're on a nonsensical rant about who sh*te you perceive Glen Whelan to be but you cannot name one person over the last 10 years who should have played instead of him.

No you tell me why he should play. What's the outstanding qualities that he has or displayed? 10 years with stoke so what. That chilli team are loaded with boys who couldn't get a game with Cardiff,qpr or West Brom. People should be judged what they do in their countries shirt not who they have a premiership contract with. We'll never know who would have done better than him, because our managers during his career prefer not to go through the midfield. But I'll tell you what he would be found out in any proper footballing team!
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:39am

nothing pre-determined about watching a fella with 70 odd caps steal an international career. That's just my opinion, based on the type of midfielder I like to watch and would prefer to see in an Ireland shirt.
anybody who has the balls to show for the ball and pass it forward.,All this talk about this stellar premiership career he had, playing for stoke in the midfield under pulis, he would have been bypassed most of the time. While some recent Ireland managers like to go direct, I think defenders are left with no option with people like whelan in the team.
That's all well and good but can you name the alternatives over the past 10 years?
If your happy watching glen whelan for Ireland, I respect your opinion. With regard to alternatives, does it matter now. Liam Brady was an alternative for Ireland under charlton did he play? No. Managers opinion. I'll not be sorry to see him finish with Ireland. I might watch his career highlights video though. It should only take 5mins.
You're on a nonsensical rant about who sh*te you perceive Glen Whelan to be but you cannot name one person over the last 10 years who should have played instead of him.

No you tell me why he should play. What's the outstanding qualities that he has or displayed? 10 years with stoke so what. That chilli team are loaded with boys who couldn't get a game with Cardiff,qpr or West Brom. People should be judged what they do in their countries shirt not who they have a premiership contract with. We'll never know who would have done better than him, because our managers during his career prefer not to go through the midfield. But I'll tell you what he would be found out in any proper footballing team!
Because he was and is the best of the options we have. Pretty f**king simple. You can harp on all day about how sh*te you think he is but you cannot name one alternative. He has been solid for us over the years. He's there to do a job, which he does. Stoke City have signed numerous CM's over the last 7 years and Whelan always was their number one CM.

How the f**k does a pepper have football team? How is a chilli loaded with boys?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:54am
Franko i think you are arguing with that fckin idiot (no not me LOL) rain paulo, has great form for knocking all our players and has had a million different guises on here Thumbs Up
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Franko i think you are arguing with that fckin idiot (no not me LOL) rain paulo, has great form for knocking all our players and has had a million different guises on here Thumbs Up
Rainpaulo wasn't that f**king stupid. LOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:14pm

That chilli team are loaded with cream cheese and you know it.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

You're not even making sense you f**king idiot.
Obviously you don't go to any Ireland games and you watch too much on TV and you're one of these clowns that listen to dunphy.
Will end up being a great signing for villa, he'll do very well in the championship.

LOL Guaranteed quotes every time the Glenn Whelan debate pops up.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:34pm

One example of who you think would have done better?

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 21 Jul 2017 at 12:34pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:58pm

No offence but you clearly don't know your history. Brady was first choice in midfield for two years under Charlton and had his best campaign for years in the Euro 88 qualifiers. He would have started in that tournament without question were it not the fact he did his cruciate between qualifying and the tournament. He'd have made the squad despite having a two game ban for a red card in the final qualifier, a game which he ran. He had retired from international football before World Cup 90 and was finished with club football by the time that tournament started. So when was he an alternative for Ireland under Charlton? He wasn't happy with the way Charlton wanted him to play yet was far better playing for him than he was in 84 or 86 qualifying. It's a myth that he was a viable alternative that was frozen out.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:03pm
he is neither sh*t, nor a brilliant player, somewhere in between the truth lies. 

has always done his best for us, and he has done what has been asked of him. 

people with a very primitive understanding of football love headless chicken midfielders that lunge and chase at any given opportunity. zero appreciation of positional play, hence why o'shea has alot of over zealous critics also, and st ledger who was a donkey got a lot of acclaim too. 98% of a players game is when is off the ball. you hear it at every game, clowns shouting 'go to him, go to him', when clearly the player is correct in holding his position. The same idiots will give whelan dogs abuse. 

Go and a have a look at that game in glasgow, with a central pairing of gibson and hendrick and only then will you grasp what whelan brings, steven naismith looked like iniesta that night, two headless chickens chasing shadows, leaving huge gaps in behind them. also go and look how whelan completely nulfiied pjanic in the playoff games v bosnia. look at how 5 mins after he went off v germany away, kroos managed to get score from outside the box in an area than whelan always occupies. 

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:04pm
So have we come to the conclusion that Liam Brady should have started ahead of Whelan?
The dark side.. And the light
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

So have we come to the conclusion that Liam Brady should have started ahead of Whelan?

Some would argue that a 60 year old Brady would do a better job. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

he is neither sh*t, nor a brilliant player, somewhere in between the truth lies. 

people with a very primitive understanding of football love headless chicken midfielders that lunge and chase at any given opportunity. zero appreciation of positional play, hence why o'shea has alot of over zealous critics also, and st ledger who was a donkey got a lot of acclaim too. 98% of a players game is when is off the ball. you hear it at every game, clowns shouting 'go to him, go to him', when clearly the player is correct in holding his position. The same idiots will give whelan dogs abuse. 

Go and a have a look at that game in glasgow, with a central pairing of gibson and hendrick and only then will you grasp what whelan brings, steven naismith looked like iniesta that night, two headless chickens chasing shadows, leaving huge gaps in behind them. also go and look how whelan completely nulfiied pjanic in the playoff games v bosnia. look at how 5 mins after he went off v germany away, kroos managed to get score from outside the box in an area than whelan always occupies. 

spot on.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:11pm
Apart from the fact that I believe this to be a good move for Whelan, I feel he could potentially benefit from what looks like a well crafted, and exceptionally experienced Aston Villa team, which provided it clicks will have little problem in making at least the top 6, if not better this season. Hutton, Taylor, Chester and Terry will be a very professional backline, while Whelan will be well able to anchor a midfield with the likes of Lansbury, Adomah, and hopefully Hourihane taking on the more glamorous work. Jedinak may be the only fly in the ointment as he fulfils Whelan's type of role, however, I suspect Bruce would not have purchased him if there was a chance that he wouldn't be utilised.

If it was the case that his time at Stoke was over, like Walters this will stand to him, and to Ireland.
keitho5 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keitho5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 1:41pm

Nail on the headClap
Oooooooooohhhhhh yes sir......
greenmachine68 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenmachine68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:01pm

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Rainpaulo wasn't that f**king stupid. LOL

Settle petal. I'm only expressing an opinion. Not abusing anybody.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:16pm

Spot on.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:52pm
A good move for Glenn. He should find the drop back down a division will prolong his career. Good business for Stoke too, making a possible £1.5M profit after 9 years of service.

With the signing last season of Joe Allen and now Darren Fletcher, his playing time at Stoke would likely have been minimal this season. A quick look at the last few pages of a recent thread on the Stoke fans website about his move, reveals the reverence he was held in by the vast majority at Stoke.

Nine years in the premier league is nothing to be sniffed at and many here in Ireland don't seem to appreciate or understand how he's managed that. He was also Stoke's most capped international player ever.  A record that could likely stand forever. ClapClapClapClapClap  

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 5:42pm
He saw off a few pretenders during his time st Stoke. I'm sure he would've seen a decent amount of playing time had he elected to stay.

No guarantees he'll be a regular starter at Villa, either. There's plenty of competition for midfield place there as well, of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 159>
  Share Topic