Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=20929
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 4:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Glenn Whelan
Posted By: Propagandhi
Subject: Glenn Whelan
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 8:56pm
http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2010/07/31/Injury-worry-for-Whelan/gnid-73828/ - http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2010/07/31/Injury-worry-for-Whelan/gnid-73828/  

Looks like Paul f**kin' Green will be starting against Argentina.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Replies:
Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:07pm
what's wrong with green?! he was very good against algeria. this is why mccarthy MUST be called up and o'hara approached! reason's like this...players picking up injuries! established players who are available to us, not martin f***in rowlands!

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:09pm
Meyler and Clarke could miss the entire season. A. Reid and S. Hunt will miss the start of the season. Whelan and Duffy are doubts. The Irish players are dropping like flies.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:11pm
who's clarke? was duffy named in the ireland team against argentina? if whelan is out for the argentina clash, mccarthy should definately be called up. o'hara needs to decide now if he wants to play for us or not. never has a bigger chance been available to him.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:13pm
Billy Clarke is a 22 year old Blackpool player. Duffy wasn't named in the squad for the Argentina game but has played behind closed doors in a match for Everton.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:16pm
ah right, was wondering. is he any use? haven't seen him unfortunately. for the argentina game, potential central midfielders we have wilson, gibson, green and fahey. i wouldn't mind seeing wilson getting a chance actually. he says central midfield is his preferred role. 

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:17pm
oh and andrews also...my bad haha

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 9:18pm
Billy Clarke will likely never get a call up. I've got to agree there, I think Wilson should partner Andrews in midfield against the Argies.

-------------

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 10:22pm
would like to see gibson and fahey given run outs in central midfield along side andrews

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by wrestler313 wrestler313 wrote:

would like to see gibson and fahey given run outs in central midfield along side andrews
Really would love to see him given the nod against Argentina and then possibly a move away from United.

-------------
Out of order

Posted By: AndyMc
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 10:46pm
Keith fahey might play

-------------
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 2:56am
One mans injury is another mans opportunity.
Hopefully McCarthy gets a call up.

Would still like to see Gibson get a run in midfield. If not then it will be interesting to see how Green copes against a tougher opposition.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: stiffler
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 3:59am
Would love to see Wilson given a run out in this position.

He has scored 2 goals in the last 2 games for portsmouth.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 4:36am

Whelan's injury doesnt seem too serious so not overly concerned. Anyway, we know what Whelan can do and so does Trap (definitely one of the first names on the team sheet) so i would like to see more of Green or Gibbo against the Argies, no harm.

Dont think Trap thinks McCarthy is ready for the central position but would still like to see him get the call.

Re Wilson, is he playing centre mid for Pompey or still centre half does anyone know?

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: stiffler
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 5:06am
Originally posted by McGoldrick McGoldrick wrote:

Re Wilson, is he playing centre mid for Pompey or still centre half does anyone know?

he has been playing centre half in the recent friendlies (captaining them too), though I think he will be moved into midfield sooner rather than later. He is a great passer of the ball and is wasted in defence.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 5:13am
Originally posted by horsebox1977 horsebox1977 wrote:

One mans injury is another mans opportunity.

Liam Lawrence has been playing well in Stoke's midfield in the pre season friendlies.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:02am

Tony Pulis played down concerns over Glenn Whelan and Rory Delap after both men picked up knocks against Burnley.

Stoke won their latest pre-season friendly 2-1 but there were injury worries for manager http://topics.skysports.com/Tony+Pulis/?section=football - after http://topics.skysports.com/Glenn+Whelan/?section=football - and http://topics.skysports.com/Rory+Delap/?section=football - were taken off in the first half.

Whelan suffered a calf strain and Delap struggled with a tight back, with the extent of the problems set to become clearer in the coming days.

Pulis is nevertheless hopeful that his midfielders will be fine to continue their preparations for the new Premier League campaign, which kicks off away to Wolves on 14th August.

"Glenn's got a bit of a calf strain so we'll have to see how bad that is on Monday," Pulis told Sky Sports News.

"Rory's back locked up a little bit so we're hoping that'll be okay.

"Liam's (Lawrence) back locked up a little bit in the second half and we were close to taking him off, but he ran through it so hopefully they are not too bad."

-------------

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:05am
What the fcuk is wrong with Green ?

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: city4life
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:42am
he is not irish

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:43am

Retarded Post of the Year and that's saying something

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Retarded Post of the Year and that's saying something

Agreed. pure nonsense

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 4:09pm
so that implies noel gallagher, morrissey and john lennon aren't irish either. what a load of sh*te. how ironic his user name is "cityforlife" and his player rating is phil babb and he's on a nationalist tirade.

-------------

Posted By: billybunter
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

so that implies noel gallagher, morrissey and john lennon aren't irish either. what a load of sh*te. how ironic his user name is "cityforlife" and his player rating is phil babb and he's on a nationalist tirade.

whats ironic is your post on paul mcshane. You should be ashamed to call yourself an ireland fan.

Posted By: city4life
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 9:05pm
shamefull is lads on here begging english rejects to play for us and england were one of the worst teams in the world cup

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 9:59am
Originally posted by city4life city4life wrote:

shamefull is lads on here begging english rejects to play for us and england were one of the worst teams in the world cup

Who's beggin anyone?Confused

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:37am

Exactly Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:46am

begging? ha. hardly. trap has left jamie o'hara to his own to consider. and paul green chose of his own accord to make himself available to ireland. i don't think trap would be begging a player who is playing for derby county.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:51am
Originally posted by billybunter billybunter wrote:

Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

whats ironic is your post on paul mcshane. You should be ashamed to call yourself an ireland fan.

my post on paul mcshane is fact. as a fan i'm entitled to give my judgement on player's ability. i don't care where they're from, if they're eligible and play well then i'm happy to see my team be successful as a result. you see player's of different ethnicity in rugby, cricket, tennis etc so no reason why it should be any different in football. cityforlife has decided to become an ignorant nationalist bigot. i'm sure if he checked his own ancestry then he'd be pleasantly surprised what it throws up. ireland has a history of emigration so of course there is going to be players in england who have irish parents or grandparents. those are the fifa eligibility rules and we are perfectly entitled to take advantage of them and so are professional footballers. the more players available to us, the better.   

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 5:39am

Glenn Whelan has set his sights on being fit for Stoke's opening game of the season against Wolves as he battles with a calf injury.

The 26-year-old midfielder picked up the problem in Saturday's friendly against http://topics.skysports.com/burnley/?section=football - and will play no further part in the Potters' pre-season preparations.

http://topics.skysports.com/Glenn+Whelan/?section=football - will also miss http://topics.skysports.com/Republic+of+Ireland/?section=football - friendly with http://topics.skysports.com/argentina/?section=football - next week as he focuses on a 14th August return against http://topics.skysports.com/Mick+McCarthy/?section=football - men at Molineux.

"Over the last couple of days the injury has eased off," Whelan told The Sentinel.

"I'm hoping it's not as bad as first feared.

"It's obviously a bad time to get injured, you put in all that hard work over the last four or five weeks and then you get something like this so close to the season.

"But I feel pretty lucky to have got a couple of 90 minutes under my belt, so it's not a case of chasing fitness now, but just maintaining it.

"Hopefully, everything will be OK for the first game."

International misery

Whelan, who has 18 caps for his country, would almost certainly have been involved in Giovanni Trapattoni's plans for the game against the World Cup quarter-finalists next Wednesday, which celebrates the re-opening of the new Lansdowne Road.

But Whelan concedes there is no way he could have played in the illustrious fixture.

"If I'd been fit, I'd have loved to have played but the way things are at the minute with the injury, I'm going to have to pull out of that one," he added.

"I don't think the manager would be too pleased if I said I wanted to play in it so close to the new season, especially with it being a friendly."

-------------

Posted By: darragh1888
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 7:30am
Gibson would do for me personally!

-------------
"26 + 6 = 1, No Surrender"

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 7:41am
You's are forgetting about Stephen Quinn - ok i do jest here as there's no way trap would pick him due to his unfortunate lack of height which trap requires of his midfielders for set pieces's etcc but he has started preseason well for Sheff Utd & is the industrious sort trap likes!!

I reckon it will be a Gibson & Andrews partnership seeing as Gibson looks to have progressed a bit with Manure & i'm thinking after our last few games trap might keep with what he's been doing since Paris & fancy a more adventourous display with it being the 1st game in Lansdowne & all that

Posted By: Belfast Green
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 10:29am
Robbie's picked up an http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5htZw7K_56_6eJH5KnojngziHsl*g - injury , although not serious.

Or maybe its to do with http://www.sportingo.com/football/a13917_robbie-keanes-injury-sparks-tottenham-exit-rumours - a move from Spurs?

-------------
http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Propagandhi®
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 1:16pm

Stoke City: Masterblaster Whelan nearly back to his best after injury setback

Stoke%20City:%20Masterblaster%20Whelan%20nearly%20back%20to%20his%20best%20after%20injury%20setback

GLENN Whelan refused to feel sorry for himself – despite being only an inch away from ending his frustrating start to the season in spectacular style.

Whelan, pictured below, was well below his own standards in the season's opening two games as he struggled to shake off the effects of a calf injury.

He was relegated to the bench for Saturday's 2-0 defeat at Chelsea, but came on to almost snatch an equaliser when his 25-yard shot smacked against the underside of the bar and bounced to safety.

He said: "I was on my own so I looked up and thought I would have a shot. I was nearly off to celebrate to be honest.

"Even when it hits the bar and bounces down you look at the linesman to see if he's going to flag, but it wasn't to be.

"Had that gone in, we'd have been right back in it at 1-1 and it would have been a different game, but I thought the lads did really well. This was a much better performance than last time."

City's 7-0 hiding at Chelsea in April was their heaviest league defeat in 12 years and was an experience the players were determined would not be repeated.

Whelan said they were not intimidated by returning to the champions, even though Chelsea had begun their season with 6-0 wins over West Brom and Wigan.

He said: "The only thing we were thinking about was putting things right after what happened last time.

"We wanted to prove people wrong and show we could give Chelsea a game."

The 26-year-old midfielder had no complaints at being left out of the starting line up after admitting he was not at his best in the opening-day defeat at Wolves or last week's loss at home to Tottenham.

He has not got going after a pre-season calf injury, but hopes Saturday's impressive substitute appearance is the start of better things to come.

He said: "I was disappointed to be on the bench, but I know in myself I haven't been right in the last few games after my injury. I am still trying to get match sharpness.

"I was flying in pre-season and I think the coaching staff would say I was one of the fittest players, but then my calf went.

"I missed two weeks and they were probably the most important two weeks of the lot because the lads were getting games under their belts.

"I rushed back, which probably hasn't helped me, but it is up to me now to get back in the team."

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 1:19pm
Thread renamed. Jaysis prop.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 1:20pm

Thread renamed. Jaysis prop.
I was just about to suggest you do that.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 6:33am

Republic of Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan has his sights set on topping Group B and securing an automatic place at the European Championships in Poland and Ukraine.

Ireland kick off their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign against Armenia in Yerevan on Friday and follow that up with a home game against Andorra next Tuesday.

Whelan admitted that it will be tough to finish above top seeds Russia and World Cup qualifiers Slovakia, but he hopes that the defeat to France has made the squad more determined to avoid the play-off route.

He said: 'We are not going into any campaign thinking 'let's go for second'. We are definitely going for top and hopefully that is the case.

'We know we have got some tough places to go and we are going to have some hard games, but we'll just worry about ourselves and what we can do.'

Whelan is one of a number of players who earned their first caps under Giovanni Trapattoni and have since gone on to become regulars in the team.

The Stoke City midfielder believes that Ireland are a wiser, more battle-hardened team than the one that set out to qualify for the 2010 World Cup back in September 2008.

He said: 'If you look at two years ago, there was a few players coming on the scene that had not had that many games internationally.

'But now quite a lot of us have picked up a fair few caps and we've been through a campaign already. Hopefully, that will help us and we can get through.

'We have been away and got some big results, especially the Italian game and how we got a late result out there. It is just little things like that you remember.'

The most difficult obstacle for automatic qualification are Dick Advocaat's Russia, but Whelan believes Ireland's recent performances will have the Russians looking over their shoulder.

'Going to Russia we know it is going to be hard, but hopefully the Russians are thinking the same when they have to come to Dublin,' said Whelan.

'We want to top the group, so if we want to top the group we have to do better than Russia. But it is not just the Russians, there are other teams in there who will be thinking the same.'

Whelan has recovered from a calf injury picked up in pre-season, which forced him to miss last month's friendly with Argentina, and is expected to win his 21st cap on Friday.

Having experienced the highs and lows of international football in the past two years, Whelan is eager for the competitive action to begin again.

'This is the first game. We have to go out there and get the right result and play really well to get this campaign going. That is what we are setting out for', he said.

'Because of what happened in the last campaign, everyone was hoping for this one to come around as soon as possible. It's here now and hopefully everyone forgets about what happened in France.'

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 6:35am

Glenn Whelan has backed Paul Green to fit right in if he is picked for the Republic of Ireland’s game against Armenia on Friday.

Giovanni Trapattoni’s side begin their Euro 2012 qualification campaign in Yerevan and Green, who played in the recent friendlies against Paraguay, Algeria and Argentina, is expected to replace the injured Keith Andrews alongside Whelan in the Irish midfield.

The 27-year-old Derby County man is a latecomer to the international fold, but has done well in his appearances so far, scoring the opener in the 3-0 win over the Algerians, who went on to shut out England at the World Cup in South Africa.

It looks like a straight choice between him and Manchester United’s Darron Gibson to partner Whelan in the middle, and the Stoke City man thinks whoever comes in is more than capable of doing a good job against the Armenians.

"We don't know the starting team yet and there'll be few people fighting for Keith's spot," said Whelan. "If its Paul or Darron who gets the nod, I'm sure they'll do their best.

"Paul waited a long time to get his chance in the summer friendly matches and he did well. He's a terrific player. I'd say Keith and I are more defensive-minded than himself but he's well capable of playing in this match."

Meanwhile, Preston North End winger Keith Treacy has joined Andrews and Damien Duff on the sidelines. Treacy might have been set to fill in on the left of midfield with Duff and Stephen Hunt not available, but a groin injury for him sees the problem in the position added to for Trapattoni.

Treacy, like Duff, may be fit to tale on Andorra at the Aviva Stadium next Tuesday, however.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 6:08am
Whelan eager for return to action

(UKPA) – 2 hours ago

Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan cannot wait for the chance to put his World Cup misery behind him as he targets European success.

The 26-year-old Stoke player, like the rest of his team-mates, was shattered by Ireland's controversial play-off exit in Paris as France squeezed through to what turned out to be a disastrous campaign in South Africa with a helping hand from Thierry Henry.

Whelan said: "Because of what happened in the last campaign, everyone was just hoping for this to come around as soon as possible. Hopefully with this campaign here, everyone can forget about what happened in Paris."

Ireland will return to competitive action for the first time since that infamous night on Friday as they attempt to launch their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign with victory over Armenia in Yerevan.

Andorra head for Dublin's Aviva Stadium four days later, and a maximum points haul would give Giovanni Trapattoni's men just the start they desire, and send a message to Group B rivals Russia and Slovakia.

Whelan added: "We are not going into any campaign thinking, 'Let's go for second'.

"We are definitely going for top and hopefully that's the case.

"We know we have some tough places to go to and we are going to have some hard games, but we can just worry about ourselves. That's what we are going to do and hopefully qualify.

"It doesn't matter if we are playing Armenia or Russia, we will worry about ourselves."

-------------

Posted By: Kingdom
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 6:39am
He's a legend as far as I'm concerned. I get the impression he's always honoured just to be involved and seems to realise just how much it means to us as it does the players. Everytime the chap speaks, sensible stuff comes out. If only I was as lucky!

Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Kingdom Kingdom wrote:

He's a legend as far as I'm concerned. I get the impression he's always honoured just to be involved and seems to realise just how much it means to us as it does the players. Everytime the chap speaks, sensible stuff comes out. If only I was as lucky!

can definitely see that in him alright.
He was in tears after his goal against Italy

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

Whelan eager for return to action

(UKPA) – 2 hours ago

Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan cannot wait for the chance to put his World Cup misery behind him as he targets European success.

The 26-year-old Stoke player, like the rest of his team-mates, was shattered by Ireland's controversial play-off exit in Paris as France squeezed through to what turned out to be a disastrous campaign in South Africa with a helping hand from Thierry Henry.

Whelan said: "Because of what happened in the last campaign, everyone was just hoping for this to come around as soon as possible. Hopefully with this campaign here, everyone can forget about what happened in Paris."

Ireland will return to competitive action for the first time since that infamous night on Friday as they attempt to launch their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign with victory over Armenia in Yerevan.

Andorra head for Dublin's Aviva Stadium four days later, and a maximum points haul would give Giovanni Trapattoni's men just the start they desire, and send a message to Group B rivals Russia and Slovakia.

Whelan added: "We are not going into any campaign thinking, 'Let's go for second'.

"We are definitely going for top and hopefully that's the case.

"We know we have some tough places to go to and we are going to have some hard games, but we can just worry about ourselves. That's what we are going to do and hopefully qualify.

"It doesn't matter if we are playing Armenia or Russia, we will worry about ourselves."

great to hear! none of this nonsense that armenia should be feared. we want to be in poland/ukraine and these teams should be canon fodder

-------------

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 10:46am
yeah he seems a great pro. the Faye incident when he was calling for more professionalism and when then the Ramsey injury he showed pure glass. Has come on heaps and bounds on the field too

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 7:23pm

HE’S BEEN an ever present for Giovanni Trapattoni since being called into the manager’s first squad, for the May 2008 friendly against Serbia. Even now, though, the Italian can surprise Glenn Whelan, not least when he describes the midfielder and Keith Andrews as “a beautiful couple”.

Whelan, mildly bemused, nods on being told of the compliment, returning it by expressing his happiness at the manager’s return to duty after his health-scare last month. “If I’m anything like him at his age I’ll be really happy,” he said. “You can see him out on the pitch at training, still doing warm-ups and running around. He has looked after himself really well. He told us that he was really disappointed not to be at the Argentina game, hopefully now he is much better and he will be there for us come Friday.”

But with Andrews’ injury leading to the break-up of the beautiful couple, Whelan awaits word on whether it will be Darron Gibson or Paul Green who partners him in midfield against Armenia, on a night when the Stoke City player will win his 21st cap. “Of course it’s disappointing for Keith, but it gives someone else a chance to get in and do well – and if they do, then Keith might have to fight to get back in. But that’s good to have in any squad, it just makes people try and improve and do better when they get a chance.”

Whelan was familiar with Green long before the Derby midfielder joined the squad in May, their first brush at the end of 2004 when Whelan’s Sheffield Wednesday met Green’s Doncaster in a League One game.

“We’ve had a few little barnies, I would say, we’ve crossed paths a few times going back over the years. That first one was like a derby game as well, which helped spice things up. I think he hit me once, which I thought was over the top a little bit. I haven’t got him back yet,” he smiled, “but I’ll try soon.

“But you could tell with Paul that he had the ability to kick on and do really well. Then he got his move to Derby, which has helped him come on leaps and bounds. He is playing for a big team now and doing really well for himself.”

“No matter who comes in for Keith the manager has his style and way of playing, and to be picked you need to fit in to that. He’s seen enough of Paul playing for Derby to be happy to throw him straight in. I’d say Keith and I are more defensive-minded than Paul, but he’s well capable of playing in this match. And knowing Paul, the way he is, if he’s selected he’ll just take it like any other game, it wont effect him.”

Also vying for a place in the team is Whelan’s international room-mate Liam Lawrence who left Stoke for Portsmouth on transfer deadline day, with Marc Wilson making the opposite journey. While dropping a division didn’t sit well with Lawrence, Whelan understands the move.

“There is no point being at a Premiership club and not playing any games, what is the point in that? He always said he just wants to play football so if he does really well at Portsmouth you never know what will happen.”

The arrival of Wilson and Jon Walters from Ipswich last month has upped the Irish contingent at Stoke, Walters featuring in the club’s last three games. “I played with Jon at under-21 level for Ireland, so I knew him already. The manager (Tony Pulis) has been trying to sign him for the last two or three seasons, so he’s finally got his man.

“Jon’s been asking me about the Irish set-up, he’s obviously keen to get called up, as any player would be for his country. If he does things right and scores some goals for Stoke he’ll make some headlines.”

It’s just a week shy of two years since Whelan made his competitive debut for Ireland, scoring the second goal in the 2-1 win over Georgia in Germany in the opening game of the World Cup qualifying campaign.

He’s hopeful of a similar result in Armenia. “We’re not going into any campaign thinking ‘let’s go for second’, we’re definitely going for top. Two years ago there were a few players like myself coming on the scene, who hadn’t had many international games. Now, a lot of us have picked up quite a few caps. That campaign gave us the experience of playing in the big games in stadiums away from home. Absorbing that, hopefully, will hold us in good stead for this campaign.”

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:54am

GLENN Whelan fears that a rash challenge in Friday's European Championship win in Armenia could cost him his place in the Ireland team - with the possibility that the Stoke City man will be rested for tomorrow's qualifier at home to Andorra.

Ireland's disciplinary record under Steve Staunton was earmarked as one of the things which Giovanni Trapattoni wanted to change when he took over two years ago, and the Irish players did clean up their act under the Italian in the World Cup campaign.

But Whelan was booked two minutes from time for a clumsy challenge on Henrikh Mkhitaryan, and the Stoke man -- who has missed just one competitive game under Trap -- now faces the prospect of a suspension if he's booked in the rest of the campaign.

Trap's assistant Marco Tardelli yesterday suggested that Trapattoni would at least consider resting Whelan for the Andorra game to make sure he's free to play in the first game of a massive double header against Russia (home) and Slovakia (away) next month, and Whelan admits that he's concerned about his yellow peril.

"The player got in behind me and Paul Green so I had to make an effort. I'd claim it as a good tackle but it was stupid for me to get a yellow card so early in the campaign, and I know that could cost me further down the line in the group in terms of a suspension," Whelan says.

"At the time I can't be thinking of that, I was only thinking of this game. Maybe it was a silly thing for me to do and it may force me to miss a game but I can't do anything about it now.

"It's up to the manager what he does now. He might choose to leave me out at some stage but I want to play in every game. It's out of my hands.

"I am always a committed player and I don't hold back when I play for Ireland. But I know now that it was stupid of me to get booked in the first game of the campaign," he added.

Trapattoni will decide after training this morning whether or not to change his team, but Tardelli yesterday said it was "50/50" whether Whelan could miss out.

"I don't know, Giovanni will decide the squad on Monday. It's possible to rest some players but I don't know if that is during the match or before," Tardelli said.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:01pm

Republic of Ireland midfielder Glenn Whelan hopes that Russia are panicking when they travel to Dublin for next month’s Euro 2012 qualifier.

Whelan’s Ireland top Group B after beating Andorra 3-1 at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday evening, right on the back of their next opponents Russia losing 1-0 at home to Slovakia, who a- like Ireland - now have six points from six.

Ireland play in Slovakia on October 12 and before that have another massive game against the Russians in Dublin, and Whelan hopes the pressure on the Russians after Tuesday’s reverse will benefit the Boys in Green.

“Hopefully there is a little bit more pressure on Russia now coming over to us because their next game is massive after a defeat,” the Stoke City midfielder said after playing an hour of the game against Andorra (with the game won he was then taken off as a yellow card would have seen him suspended against Russia).

“I think it’s going to be tough. They have some great individuals and are a good team but we just need to worry about ourselves and hopefully we can put in the performance to get the right result.”

Whelan was pleased that Ireland came through their games against Armenia and Andorra with a full haul of points and also praised the showing of Aiden McGeady against Andorra as the Spartak Moscow man caused the minnows problems throughout.

“We set out to get six points and do as well as we can and I think we have done that,” Whelan continued.

“The goal at the end of the first half unnerved us a little bit but we came out in the second half and gave a professional performance.

“You can only beat the team that is in front of you. No disrespect to Andorra, but these are the games that we have to win. I think at times we cruised a little bit but we were professional in the second half. I think they were playing 4-5-1 and that’s always hard to break down.

“I think Aiden was on top form tonight and he caused chaos and having a player to break them down and do that always helps.”

Kevin Kilbane and Kevin Doyle had given Ireland a 2-0 lead, but there was a brief moment of panic when Christian Martinez pulled one back just before the break. Whelan says that manager Giovanni Trapattoni was calm at the interval though and Robbie Keane’s 54th minute goal then killed off Andorra.

“He’s the coolest man I know, Whelan said of the Italian manager. “He came in and obviously we were disappointed that they scored early on but we knew we had another 45 minutes to go and the early goal in the second half took the nerves away.”

-------------

Posted By: Jokerman
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 3:19am

Whelan prepared to switchclubs to remain in international 

By Ruaidhri O'Connor

Tuesday November 16 2010

THE fact that a sizeable group of his regular starters are struggling for first-team action is an issue that exercises the mind of Giovanni Trapattoni, but one of those -- Glenn Whelan -- is hoping to reduce its number by one by January.

The Clondalkin man has started just three matches for Stoke City this season and, although he has come off the bench on seven occasions, the 26-year-old is concerned that if his spell on the sidelines continued after Christmas then his Ireland place would be in jeopardy.

So, he is ready to sit down and discuss the matter with Stoke manager Tony Pulis when the transfer window opens in January. Having started 25 league matches last season, his frustration is more than understandable.

The Welshman has told Whelan that the reason he has not been selected thus far is that his international games last summer left him mentally and physically drained at the start of this campaign. And as a result of the form of his replacements Dean Whitehead, Marc Wilson and Rory Delap, he cannot get back in the team now he has been rested.

Ironically, tomorrow's international friendly against Norway represents a chance for Whelan to get some game time and remind Pulis of what he can do. His international form has been rewarded at club level before and he is hoping he can win his place back with a strong performance. If not, he says he will consider his options.

"I want to be involved with Ireland as much as I can, involved in these games and the qualifiers and playing games," he said at last night's launch of the FAI Late Night League programmes in Darndale.

"If it means I move on and leave the club, so be it. But I'm not thinking about that now, I'm thinking of getting into the team and going from there. We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

"He (Pulis) hasn't told me anything bad or that he doesn't want me in his plans. He told me to keep working hard and that I'll get a chance -- so that's what I'm doing. Hopefully, if I do well for my country the manager will take a bit of notice and realise that I can get back to good form and get back in the team."

Given the presence in his squad of a handful of players who are not getting regular game time with their clubs, Trapattoni is understandably concerned by the trend.

And, while Whelan has not discussed the matter with the Italian, he is under no illusions that his Ireland place is at stake if he cannot get game time.

"I know myself," he admitted. "I'm not stupid and if you're not playing week in, week out you're going to lose your match sharpness and not get as fit.

"But you need to be playing well for your club for these chances to come around and I need to get playing as soon as possible. Come next year if I'm not playing, I can't really see these things coming around because there will be other lads playing and they will have a fighting chance of getting into the squad.

"If you ask anybody, you want to be playing as many games as you can and I think I've only started three games. It's not enough. I'm working harder to try and get in the team probably than I've ever done so I just need a chance to get in.

"I had it a couple of years ago -- I was playing for Ireland and wasn't really involved (at club level), so hopefully it will be the same thing again. But I'll be working hard here and when I go back to Stoke as well."

- Ruaidhri O'Connor

Irish Independent

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 3:40am
he is only getting minutes , he will eb well short of full match fitness if this keeps up , he has to move

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 12:04pm
Glenn Whelan

Came on for Walters with 20 minutes remaining and worked hard, adding a bit of solidity when Stoke began to struggle to keep up with the Wigan counter attack.

Goal.com

-------------
"I will just say one thing: players born in a country should play for their own country." Gaetano D'Agostino

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 12:55pm
I love whelan as he gives his all for club and country but I don't think he is up to the standard to play in centre midfield for ireland.

Clark is way better.

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: Mick_G
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

I love whelan as he gives his all for club and country but I don't think he is up to the standard to play in centre midfield for ireland. Clark is way better.

Get a grip will ya Clark has only played a handful
Of games......Jesus

Posted By: traphasntaclue
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 3:10pm
so what if lads have only played a few games its very evident they are good players coleman cunningham mccarthy meyler clarke should all be playing against macadonia this "their too young" is a load of crap!kilbane green whelen are just not good enough!

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 5:06pm
I'm a villa fan and i have seen all of clarks games for villa and i can see why he plays week in week out in the premiership. He is good now, but he will only get better.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

I'm a villa fan and i have seen all of clarks games for villa and i can see why he plays week in week out in the premiership. He is good now, but he will only get better.

Fair enough Dave no doubting the lads talent just hate the way people on here
are so quick to rag on players as soon as a decent prospect comes along
whelan is a great player ,his last couple of games for Ireland have been poor but to be fair he hasnt had great support in Green and is also lacking game time.

I really like Whelan and hope he either gets a move or starts getting regular
game time for stoke (although cant see it happening)

p.s i dont buy the whole "To Young" crap that trap comes out with would just like to see a bit more of Clark before he is thrown straight into the starting 11 

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:33pm
Whelan can do a job for us but he is limited and centre mid is defo in need of improvement. Hopefully the welsh game we can have a look at a combo of McCarthy and Meylor, or possibly 4-5-1

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 9:40am
Yeah I do like whelan, but just by the way himself and green play, it sometimes look like they make more work for themselves and their teammates.

I couldn't believe how many times whelan gave the ball away against Norway. Also, it seems like whelan and green constantly give the ball away and then work their asses off to try and get it back and that is putting themselves under pressure the whole time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Macedonia control the game against us in DUblin next year!

-------------

Posted By: yapster
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:36pm
Whelan is a grafter for sure but his technical ability is sadly lacking as is Greens. Macedonia will control midfield if these two yahoo's are picked alongside each other. Two holding midfielders who couldn't hold water ffs.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 8:09am

Wolves want to sign him apparently

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 4:06pm
Let's hope it's true. That would be a great move for him.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 11:54am
Glenn Whelan

Came on for Etherington to offer more security n the middle and delivered some classy balls down the channels.

Goal.com

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:37pm
Linked with a move to Newcastle, Wigan and WBA according to Sky Sports News.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:39pm
I'd say Whelan would take any club in the premiership, hard to see where he'd get a game at Newcastle or even Wigan so West Brom might be the best move IF they are interested.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 1:09pm
personally think this fella is under-rated on here, he has been excellent for us in many games , georgia away , montenegro away, italy home and away, france away

-------------

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

personally think this fella is under-rated on here, he has been excellent for us in many games , georgia away , montenegro away, italy home and away, france away

I agree Rog, he hasn't been great in this campaign so far (but then, who has ??) but I think you can put some of this down to the fact he is not playing first team football, hopefully he can make a move to one of the above mentioned clubs and kick on again.

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: kessler
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:34am
I think a move will do him good and get him back on track. He's a good player who delivered for us most games in the last campaign. He's not been as good so far this time but not been too bad either. I think he's more been affected by not having Andrews alongside him as they had built up a good understanding throughout the last campaign. The problem in our midfield isn't Whelan, it's who plays beside him.

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:09am
Glenn interviewed on RTE's sport at seven yesterday.

Here.  http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0512/sportat7_whelang_av.html - http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0512/sportat7_whelang_av.html

He's had a remarkable turnaround in fortunes since getting back into the Stoke first team in February.
Along with Wilson, Walters and Delap, he'll have his chance to collect an FA cup winners medal tomorrow against his former side, Man City.

As usual he comes across as very well grounded. He's a classic example to Irish lads who are struggling at their clubs, to keep the head down, keep plugging away, keep the faith and win your place back.

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 4:06pm
He was ok for the last campaign but this one he is brutal to say the least. an honest hardworking player but he is not international standard,a sub at Stoke ffs. His game has gone from bad to worse sadly..

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by yapster yapster wrote:

He was ok for the last campaign but this one he is brutal to say the least. an honest hardworking player but he is not international standard,a sub at Stoke ffs. His game has gone from bad to worse sadly..
go away you cocksuckerThumbs Up

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Leave your father out of this son Wink

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 8:11pm

what are you talking about? he hasn't been a sub since the end of February, and has started all but one of Stoke's games since then

In face Stoke have only had 8 games this year when he hasn't started

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:05pm

Harsh

But fair

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Harsh

But fair

now now son, keep your fantasies to yourself

Date Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

what are you talking about? he hasn't been a sub since the end of February, and has started all but one of Stoke's games since then

He has been brutal this campaign you can't deny that, as I said he is a grafter but his technical skills are woeful to say the least. Trap uses him as a holding midfielder yet the poor guy couldn't hold water in this campaign ffs. Andrews is a better option "when he gets fully fit".

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 4:50am

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

He has been brutal this campaign you can't deny that, as I said he is a grafter but his technical skills are woeful to say the least. Trap uses him as a holding midfielder yet the poor guy couldn't hold water in this campaign ffs. Andrews is a better option "when he gets fully fit".

whelan is far better than andrews, Whelan has had an excellent 2nd half to the season, hopefully resulting in an FA cup winners medal today. Andrews wont get into blackburn team when fit, and if they decide to splash some of their cash this summer, he'll be saying bye bye to the prem league

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 5:24am
Whelan has had a sh*t capaign for Ireland
So far in fairness he has been poor in an
Irish shirt but with him getting regular game time
And his confidence up I'd say he'll have a blinder
Against Macedonia

Also don't forget he played Prity much all the last campaign
With Andrews he's had loads of different partners in the
Center this time around ,some were not great at all

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 12:09pm
Was poor today, but so was the whole Stoke team in fairness. He's a hard working lad to be fair, but a lot like Gibson, he just goes missing in games. Glad to see him getting game time though.

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 12:53pm
his form must be okay for stoke, otherwise pulis would not have him in the side

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Date Posted: 14 May 2011 at 5:07pm
like I said he is an honest player but sadly he will never command a midfield and his technical ability is lacking somewhat

Date Posted: 15 May 2011 at 8:06am
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

his form must be okay for stoke, otherwise pulis would not have him in the side

He's been excellent in the second half of the season. Even yesterday, he ran himself into the ground closing down Man City's midfield. With half of Stoke's midfield carrying knocks yesterday, it was left to Whelan to make the hard yards.  He did.

I'd be the first to admit that he'd lost his way for club and country in the autumn but he's back to what he does best.

@ Yapster. No one would deny that Whelan is not quite top class. If he was he would have been playing at a higher level. But he's the best we have in that position and until a better holding midfielder steps up, he'll likely be part of Ireland's midfield for many years to come.

Posted By: Sloop John G
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 4:40pm
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/West-Ham-want-Glenn-Whelan-but-Stoke-ready-to-hand-midfielder-new-deal-to-hang-onto-him-article787568.html - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/West-Ham-want-Glenn-Whelan-but-Stoke-ready-to-hand-midfielder-new-deal-to-hang-onto-him-article787568.html

Stoke set to fend off interest in Whelan from West Ham.

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 3:10pm
Scored tonight against Thun. First goal for Stoke since Feb 2010.

Posted By: dotts101
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 2:17pm
there is probably already a thread on him but cudnt be arsed going through all the pages did about 5or 6, but does anyone else fear for him at stoke now they signed palacios? he has started the season really well and feel palacios plays the glen whelan role also, and the fact they spend 8million will get him the nod?

Posted By: Dunne23
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 2:32pm
Palacios could easily take Delap's place as well. It's hard to tell, if Crouch gets time, Delap will too imo as those long throws will be extra dangerous. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Posted By: Sloop John G
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 2:35pm
If Whelan can't get ahead of Whitehead or Delap in the Stoke engine room, then he obviously isn't up to snuff.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 4:38pm
Stoke have another long throw specialist in defender Ryan Shotten (not quite at the level of Delap), but I do fear that Delap will be the one to miss out as his star is beginning to fade. Whelan has started the season very well and with Stoke competing in Europa league and will always put our decent sides for League/FA cup games, I'm pretty sure there'll be enough games to go round for Glenn.

Posted By: MacMathuna
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 4:42pm
delap should teach his skill to some young Irish player like wilson at stoke..

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGGHHTTTYYYYY!!!!!!

-------------
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:04pm
The lad simply isnt up to standard. He seems to have one gear for which he operates on for 90 minutes. I love the lad for that goal against Italy and the passion showed but he is not international standard. People will argue "Traps orders etc. etc." but even still as a midfielder he is poor and at times shockingly poor.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:07pm
He looked bollocksed after 20 mins, match totally passed him by.  Andrews was only better than him however by virtue of his last ditch block after Shay's save from the header.  Our central midfield wouldn't win an LSL match, yes they give 100% but that area is such a key area in a match.  No wonder Richie and Shay are so busy and pick up so many MOM awards.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:13pm
He's asked to stand in front of the two CB's and protect that space. As far as I can see he does that job reasonably well. The problem in our midfield lies with having another midfielder who's doing much the same thing.

Also, both tonight and last Friday, Trap should have gone 4-5-1 as we were outnumbered in the centre of the pitch in both games. We don't need two strikers if they're not getting much service.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:17pm
Sorry Stoked your defence of Traps tactics and a Stoke man is admirable but how in Gods name did he protect the back 4 and mark that space? He was miles up the pitch on too many occasions. The lad was anonymous yet again! Any decent midfielder rubs his hands at the prospect of coming up against Whelan. The lad is poor. Really really poor and believe me i hate saying it but time to pull his performances up.

Honestly, has there been a worse midfield pairing?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Sorry Stoked your defence of Traps tactics and a Stoke man is admirable but how in Gods name did he protect the back 4 and mark that space? He was miles up the pitch on too many occasions. The lad was anonymous yet again! Any decent midfielder rubs his hands at the prospect of coming up against Whelan. The lad is poor. Really really poor and believe me i hate saying it but time to pull his performances up.

Honestly, has there been a worse midfield pairing?

Wasn't at the game tonight, so impossible to tell, but he wasn't that far off the mark last Friday. His partner was poor tho'.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:24pm
Our midfield has been a ghost estate. Andrews mildly better this evening due to a few blocks but jesus christ we havent ever had such a poor midfield pairing in living memory. Its shocking. Really really shocking. Neither capable of laying down a marking tackle at the beginning of the game and bossing it. Terrible.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:26pm
Understand your stout defence of Whelan Stoked and I admire his 100% honesty, passion in the shirt and etc etc.......but so many games have passed him  (and Andrews) by.   As Brady said after the game, Trap is stubborn.  Whelan will keep his place but he shouldn't (and he's not the only one who shouldn't to be fair).

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:28pm
Whelan and Andrews are not good enough. Time to try McCarthy, Wilson, Meyler, Hoolahan etc.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Whelan and Andrews are not good enough. Time to try McCarthy, Wilson, Meyler, Hoolahan etc.

Maybe against andorra but nows not the time to be experimenting. We should have been playing fahey with mccarthy in friendlies and seeing if it works. But unfortunately McCarthy didnt bother his hole turning up so now we cant just throw him in untested. It really pains me to say it but we we have to persevere with the devil we know at this late stage. I would take andrews or whelan out and put Fahey in there. He's trustworthy from what Ive seen so far.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:36pm
This has been said before quite a few times, Whelan is playing to orders. He is there to make sure the defensive lines are where they should be and sit in front of the 2 centre backs to stop opposition midfielders running through that area where a lot of goals are scored from, in match's like tonight due to when his centre midfield partner goes out of position he is left exposed and he is left looking out of his depth as would any man against 2 or 3 opposition players bearing down on ya.

If Trap changed the system to allow him more freedom you'd see a better Whelan - watch the game back and when Doyle went off he allowed Whelan to push up beside Andrews and Keane up beside Cox suddenly Ireland where playing a lot better, alright was only a 15min spell as the Russians then got hold of the ball and upped the tempo but the fact remains if you watch from about 60-75mins you will see a marked change in how our midfield functioned especially the 2 centre midfielders

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

This has been said before quite a few times, Whelan is playing to orders. He is there to make sure the defensive lines are where they should be and sit in front of the 2 centre backs to stop opposition midfielders running through that area where a lot of goals are scored from, in match's like tonight due to when his centre midfield partner goes out of position he is left exposed and he is left looking out of his depth as would any man against 2 or 3 opposition players bearing down on ya.

If Trap changed the system to allow him more freedom you'd see a better Whelan - watch the game back and when Doyle went off he allowed Whelan to push up beside Andrews and Keane up beside Cox suddenly Ireland where playing a lot better, alright was only a 15min spell as the Russians then got hold of the ball and upped the tempo but the fact remains if you watch from about 60-75mins you will see a marked change in how our midfield functioned especially the 2 centre midfielders

But he didnt sit in front of the back 4. He left a big gaping hole between him and the back 4 that Russia went through like a hot knife through butter. I said it during the game in the Russia - Ireland thread and i didnt realise how bad it was til I watched the analysis there tonight. He didnt even do the donkey work that he was ordered to do.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:46pm
The ease that most teams can cut through our centre of midfield is ridic!!!!

We could do with a Diarra or a Gattuso so badly because atleast then we'd have a foil for a player like McCarthy , Fahey or a Wes Hollohan

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:59pm
what summed up our midfield was this...

dunne making that run we all praised, he lost the ball, and then HE was the one winning the ball back. that sums up our midfield in a nutshell. where the fook were whelan and andrews??!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Understand your stout defence of Whelan Stoked and I admire his 100% honesty, passion in the shirt and etc etc.......but so many games have passed him  (and Andrews) by.   As Brady said after the game, Trap is stubborn.  Whelan will keep his place but he shouldn't (and he's not the only one who shouldn't to be fair).

Whelan does what Trap asks of him, that's why he keeps his place.

I find it remarkable that some people here think that Whelan is not up to scratch even with his club. His manager Pulis, is one of the most pragmatic managers about. There's no way he'd be indulging Glenn if he wasn't doing the business regularly.

I watch Stoke most weeks and I recognise that Glenn is not quite top notch, but he makes up for it with sustained effort week in and week out. He's rarely brilliant, but what he does bring, is a consistent game.
To me, there's not a huge difference between Whelan or Andrews, but I wouldn't play both of them together in a 4-4-2 formation.

Also, when we come up against sides playing five across the middle, Trap needs to counteract this. I was really surprised that he didn't go with five across the middle in each of the last two games, especially seen as Russia overran our midfield so easily in Dublin.

Posted By: Godot
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 8:06pm
They're shocking, but are two fecking Gattusos compared to Darron Gibson.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net