You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 159>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 10:56am
Go your own way Glenn
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:03am
Fleetwood would arguably be a better side than Hearts, they’re awful this year. 
If Mick was willing to play Glen while @ Hearts I’d be surprised if he has a problem picking him while @ Fleetwood. 

FWIW id have no problem starting Cullen in March, he’s become a very important player for Charlton, uses the ball very well & is a lot more mobile than Glen. He’d also have a little more experience than the likes of Molumby etc
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Sorry, but we have plenty of options in the Championship and one in the Premiership. There are certain positions I wouldn’t mind playing somebody from a lower division (goalkeeper springs to mind), but the idea that playing regularly in League 1 as a CDM just doesn’t cut it. Nowhere near the intensity or the skill level necessary to compete at international level, less so if we actually qualified with a 37 year old League 1 player as our CDM.

I appreciate MM favours regular game time but once you get past a certain level it shouldn’t be irrelevant.
He’s not 37

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 23 Jan 2020 at 11:04am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

[QUOTE=Het-field]Sorry, but we have plenty of options in the Championship and one in the Premiership. There are certain positions I wouldn’t mind playing somebody from a lower division (goalkeeper springs to mind), but the idea that playing regularly in League 1 as a CDM just doesn’t cut it. Nowhere near the intensity or the skill level necessary to compete at international level, less so if we actually qualified with a 37 year old League 1 player as our CDM.

I appreciate MM favours regular game time but once you get past a certain level it shouldn’t be irrelevant.
He’s not 37 [/QUOTE

My mistake.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Fleetwood would arguably be a better side than Hearts, they’re awful this year. 
If Mick was willing to play Glen while @ Hearts I’d be surprised if he has a problem picking him while @ Fleetwood. 

FWIW id have no problem starting Cullen in March, he’s become a very important player for Charlton, uses the ball very well & is a lot more mobile than Glen. He’d also have a little more experience than the likes of Molumby etc

I still reckon Mick would prefer James McCarthy to play, he indicated early on in the campaign that he wanted him, but James concentrated on his club.

He's back playing with his club now - so if he chooses to show up, I'd expect him to play.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:19pm
On club form/status, assuming all the lads keep playing, then we'd surely want to have these names in the squad for our centre three midfielders:

McCarthy
Hendrick
Cullen
Browne
Molumby
Knight

I have lots of time for Whelan (that ping off the crossbar recently...woulda loved to see that go in!) but surely at this stage he needs to be moved own the pecking order.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:27pm
If based on club form then Duffy, Hourihane, Travers, and Coleman are out! and that's not going to happen.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 1:58pm
McCarthy used to be a form man. I think his selection against Turkey in Dublin in 1999 was form based, and why the likes of Delap and Carr got the nod. Now he seems to be more acceptable to players simply being in their respective teams. I think this will assist the projection of selection.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Deco79 Deco79 wrote:

Sorry but he shouldn't be selected from now on! its not the level of football for a International team with ambitions of qualifying for a major tournament especially when there's other players playing at a higher level and younger.
I appreciate Whelan's efforts/loyalty/service to the Ireland team but its time to let the younger lads have a go and to get experience for either the Euro's if we qualify or for the World Cup qualifiers   

The fact that ireland haven't qualified for the world cup since 2002 is not an accident. In terms of the euros, I think we'd like to erase 2012 from the record books and although 2016 was better, it only got better when Whelan got dropped.

I disagree that Whelan has been a great servant for ireland and it really shows the ambition of ireland fans.

Theres not a player in the current ireland squad on 40+ caps that hasnt been poor/mediocre at best and that includes Whelan. 

I dont think there was a better player to take his place but that just underlines the decline of Irish football over the decades.

Great servant? yes, if great servant means turning up and doing your best.

Great servant? No, if it means your overall impact on the team was valuable.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If based on club form then Duffy, Hourihane, Travers, and Coleman are out! and that's not going to happen.

Bit harsh on Hourihane, Duffy, and Coleman; they're all still playing semi-regularly at a good level, and in Hourihane's case has a good return of goals and assists. Whelan's situation is a world away from theirs.
We're decent enough..
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:24pm
he’ll not even be the best Irish player at Fleetwood 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Bit harsh on Hourihane, Duffy, and Coleman; they're all still playing semi-regularly at a good level, and in Hourihane's case has a good return of goals and assists. Whelan's situation is a world away from theirs.

I was just pointing our that some of our core players are not playing for their clubs.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:20pm

I was just pointing our that some of our core players are not playing for their clubs.

Massive difference between a player playing every minute for their club or not playing at all for their clubs. 

Coleman has played lots of football this season while not the definite first choice RB at Everton. Hourihane has played lots of football and contributed plenty of goals and assists while also not being a definite stater for Villa. Duffy is now 2nd choice at Brighton but still has plenty of minutes under his belt this season.

All have plenty of time played this season for PL clubs. There is absolutely no comparison to Whelans situation and it's strange that people would ever claim there was.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Massive difference between a player playing every minute for their club or not playing at all for their clubs. 

Coleman has played lots of football this season while not the definite first choice RB at Everton. Hourihane has played lots of football and contributed plenty of goals and assists while also not being a definite stater for Villa. Duffy is now 2nd choice at Brighton but still has plenty of minutes under his belt this season.

All have plenty of time played this season for PL clubs. There is absolutely no comparison to Whelans situation and it's strange that people would ever claim there was.

The level of club would also have to have a fairly significant weight. Not playing regularly for Everton who have signed French international Sidibe for Coleman's position is one thing. Not playing regularly for hearts at the foot of the SPL is another.

Dispassionately, and I have no preconceived notions either way about Glenn and try to consistently judge the player in front of me at whatever moment i'm watching him, he has no business being in the squad with the year he's had. That's different to someone being frozen out at a PL club. But even Brady, Long and Obafemi have been axed from squads for being frozen out at that higher level.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

The level of club would also have to have a fairly significant weight. Not playing regularly for Everton who have signed French international Sidibe for Coleman's position is one thing. Not playing regularly for hearts at the foot of the SPL is another.

Dispassionately, and I have no preconceived notions either way about Glenn and try to consistently judge the player in front of me at whatever moment i'm watching him, he has no business being in the squad with the year he's had. That's different to someone being frozen out at a PL club. But even Brady, Long and Obafemi have been axed from squads for being frozen out at that higher level.
He has every business being in the squad if he's picked.Brady isnt a CDM nor is Long nor is Obafemi.
Weather you agree with the exclusions/inclusions or not,what your saying doesnt ply weight to the argument for or against players that dont play in that position.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

He has every business being in the squad if he's picked.Brady isnt a CDM nor is Long nor is Obafemi.
Weather you agree with the exclusions/inclusions or not,what your saying doesnt ply weight to the argument for or against players that dont play in that position.
But there reasoning for better being left out does carry weight.
I have good time for Whelan but all things being equal the best he should hope for is a squad place.
But this is Mick McCarthy so who knows 
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:08pm
what?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:13pm
McCarthy already know the strengths and weaknesses of Whelan, whether he went to liverpool or Fleetwood doesnt really change anything about Whelan on the pitch at his age.

As long as he's match fit, he has a good chance to play in march.

McCarthy could easily justify the 'tried and tested' approach and the fact that the playoffs are not the place to introduce new players.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 159>
  Share Topic