Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 159>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Can't wait for the era after Kenny because we will win the World Cup

Clap Clap Clap 

Shut down the forum. Post of the year. Will not be topped.

A classic from Horsebox Clap
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 8:13pm
Bit of a savage article on the bbc about hearts Berra and whelan etc. Bit of a reality check in my opinion and I can't say that i disagree with any of it.

"When the new manager came in, the first person he spoke to was me - he was already having a bit of a go," he said. Thirty-five years old, a professional footballer for 17 years, winner of 91 international caps for the Republic of Ireland and he's taking umbrage at Stendel demanding more of him while Hearts' season was going down the pan.

"The manager came in and wanted to show his power, show the other players that he's the boss, he's main man," he continued. Stendel does have the power, he is the boss, he is the main man. What's Whelan's problem with that?

He played 15 league games for Hearts, lost 10, drew four and won one. Whatever job he thinks he did, it wasn't enough.

"I do feel let down... It was all very amateurish... He threw me under the bus," were other complaints.

Whelan is 36 today. Hearts need better. They need energy and intensity and creativity in the middle of the park

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Bit of a savage article on the bbc about hearts Berra and whelan etc. Bit of a reality check in my opinion and I can't say that i disagree with any of it.

"When the new manager came in, the first person he spoke to was me - he was already having a bit of a go," he said. Thirty-five years old, a professional footballer for 17 years, winner of 91 international caps for the Republic of Ireland and he's taking umbrage at Stendel demanding more of him while Hearts' season was going down the pan.

"The manager came in and wanted to show his power, show the other players that he's the boss, he's main man," he continued. Stendel does have the power, he is the boss, he is the main man. What's Whelan's problem with that?

He played 15 league games for Hearts, lost 10, drew four and won one. Whatever job he thinks he did, it wasn't enough.

"I do feel let down... It was all very amateurish... He threw me under the bus," were other complaints.

Whelan is 36 today. Hearts need better. They need energy and intensity and creativity in the middle of the park

It is amazing how people can spin things the way they want, isn't it?

The simple fact of the matter is that Whelan will be no loss to Hearts. Whatever happens to Hearts and their manager, the second half of the season can't really go much worse than the first half, can it? So it was always a case of Hearts getting rid of a few players and hoping that a couple of new arrivals give them enough of a lift to survive.

Whelan played a big role in how absolutely awful Hearts were in the first half of the season. I do find the poor auld Whelan stuff from Irish fans hilarious. It is shambolic that he is still starting for Ireland. I genuinely believe that even if he was offered to the likes of Dundalk on wages they could afford, they wouldn't sign him. In saying that, there's bound to be a club absolutely desperate in the championship or League 1 who will look at his experience and offer him a short term deal. It's usually the way these things pan out, but any well run club wouldn't touch him even on lower wages at this stage. Even the top 2 LOI clubs imo.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:02am
LOL LOL LOL

Anyone following the Scottish leagues for years will know that the way Whelan and Berra were effectively let go from their jobs isn't a rare thing. Between that and completely freezing players out until they walk themselves, Scottish clubs have been at this kind of thing for years.

So it should be no shock to Whelan, his agent, or knowledgeable folk like Mr Thick that this was always a possibility. Especially when you're team have horrible form and the player himself has horrible form.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:04am

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

It is amazing how people can spin things the way they want, isn't it?

The simple fact of the matter is that Whelan will be no loss to Hearts. Whatever happens to Hearts and their manager, the second half of the season can't really go much worse than the first half, can it? So it was always a case of Hearts getting rid of a few players and hoping that a couple of new arrivals give them enough of a lift to survive.

Whelan played a big role in how absolutely awful Hearts were in the first half of the season. I do find the poor auld Whelan stuff from Irish fans hilarious. It is shambolic that he is still starting for Ireland. I genuinely believe that even if he was offered to the likes of Dundalk on wages they could afford, they wouldn't sign him. In saying that, there's bound to be a club absolutely desperate in the championship or League 1 who will look at his experience and offer him a short term deal. It's usually the way these things pan out, but any well run club wouldn't touch him even on lower wages at this stage. Even the top 2 LOI clubs imo.

I think he was in Scotland two days a week., one days training and the match . Most managers wouldn’t have that. I’m sure he tried to broker the same arrangement he has with McCarthy where if he turns up he is guaranteed a start. Playing with the kids in the park will now be classed as competitive football by McCarthy as an excuse to shoehorn him into the team.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Another bucket of bile from the muck-spreader Moleman. You're entitled to your opinion on Glenn Whelan the player, puerile as it is. But "poor old Whelan" is entitled to be treated in a professional way. There is no evidence in a long career  he's been anything other than a model pro. But you condone Hearts' abysmal mismanagement of his exit. To pour more scorn on the guy, your diatribe then presents a total hypothetical about Dundalk before sinking further to hit the "any well-run club wouldn't touch him" button. Don't let anybody tell you you're not useless at this.

I understand what you mean here Brick but can you objectively say that Whelan was treated unfairly? Results for Hearts have been as bad as bad could be, and as a player that was brought in to improve things can being told to leave really be any surprise for Whelan? Regardless of how it was done.

1. He either did his very best for Hearts but still failed to meet the minimum standard, which is a terrifying prospect for ireland fans considering the games coming up.

2. He didn't really give Hearts 100% in which case, it was Hearts who were thrown under the bus.
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:00am
Sweet holy Jaysus same people same absolute sh*te been spouted 
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:07am
It is baffling that so many here still believe that Whelan is the key to our midfield. Hearts just effectively sacked him. Hearts. I'll say it again, f*cking Hearts.

Worse still imo is that he wasn't sacked for some act of misconduct. As pointed out, he's the model pro and fair play to him for that. No, Whelan was effectively sacked because Hearts (yes that f*cking shambles of a side Hearts) believe that he is simply of no use whatsoever to them in the second half of the season. 

Just take that in. Breathe. Compute that. Then realise that a huge chunk of you mad folk actually believe this lad is a huge player for us.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:15am

It is baffling that so many here still believe that Whelan is the key to our midfield.

I've not seen one person assume this. Can you show where 1 single person said this?

Whelan being in the side has been explained numerous times and you still can't grasp it.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:15am
Whelan was "sacked" because Hearts have a very large squad by SPL standards and therefore a large wage bill. The new manager needs to move players off the wage bill so he can recruit the players he believes will get them out of the relegation mess they are in. It was probably handled badly and Whelan can be excused for getting the hump. Pro football is a cut throat business and any sentiment is pure misguided folly.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 14 Jan 2020 at 9:17am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:15am
Is it ok to say that whelan is past it with Ireland but was harshly treated by hearts and has been a great servant for Ireland.  Or is that too nuanced and not extreme enough for this debate  
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:18am

It is baffling that so many here still believe that Whelan is the key to our midfield.

I've not seen one person assume this. Can you show where 1 single person said this?

Whelan being in the side has been explained numerous times and you still can't grasp it.

I look forward to us winning the World Cup under Stephen Kenny while playing like Brazil.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:19am

I look forward to us winning the World Cup under Stephen Kenny while playing like Brazil.

And yet again you still can't grasp it

Avoids showing us all where posters said Whelan was key to our midfield too.

Edited by horsebox - 14 Jan 2020 at 9:23am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:23am

I expect 65 year old Glenn Whelan to hold aloft the World Cup trophy as captain in 2022 under Stephen Kenny.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:27am

I expect 65 year old Glenn Whelan to hold aloft the World Cup trophy as captain in 2022 under Stephen Kenny.

Purple monkey dishwasher
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:40am
Whelan is 36. Far better players than him have been finished well before that age. Time catches up and managers don’t necessarily have an agenda when they let the older lads go. Tough but there it is. 

As for playing for Ireland, all you can ask a limited player to do is his best. In recent games he has pretty near played up to his limits and was the pick of the midfield. You can’t blame him for that; you look at the others with more potential who fell far short of it. 

Can’t see him doing better than League 1 if he gets another gig. Should not be in the frame for Slovakia. 

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Is it ok to say that whelan is past it with Ireland but was harshly treated by hearts and has been a great servant for Ireland.  Or is that too nuanced and not extreme enough for this debate  
No you have to use words like Amazing, Shambolic, Baffling, And so on while you belt the computer keys as you type. LOL
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:07am
"Bile, muck dragger, begrudgers, mudslingers" LOLLOLLOL

Take a deep breath Mr Brick aka Mr. Whelan Snr........

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 14 Jan 2020 at 10:08am
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 159>
  Share Topic