You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 159>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

He was one of Villa's best players last year when they went up, he is definitely still good enough for the Championship.

Not good enough for one of the worst teams in  Scotland's top league but good enough for the championship? Interesting.

Was training 2 days a week, plenty of Hearts fans think he was more than good enough for them and things just didn't work out, he didn't magically turn from one of the best players in a top Championship team to a League 1 player over the Summer, but that doesn't suit the anti-Whelan narrative the majority of our fans who clearly haven't a clue about football have.
Sponsored Links

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Hopefully Mick decides that’s the end of his career and starts playing some of these brilliant midfielders he was keeping out of the team. 

Sarcasm aside, I'd love to see Molumby get his spot for the playoffs if  James McCarthy is unable or unwilling. 

I'd love to see Molumby get his spot for the playoffs if James McCarthy is able and willing
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 12:35pm

He was one of Villa's best players last year when they went up, he is definitely still good enough for the Championship.

Not good enough for one of the worst teams in  Scotland's top league but good enough for the championship? Interesting.

Was training 2 days a week, plenty of Hearts fans think he was more than good enough for them and things just didn't work out, he didn't magically turn from one of the best players in a top Championship team to a League 1 player over the Summer, but that doesn't suit the anti-Whelan narrative the majority of our fans who clearly haven't a clue about football have.

Hearts and the entire Championship mustn't have a clue about football then, as well as the majority of Irish fans, for letting one of the best players in a top team in their league go to Scotland and get released. 

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 07 Jan 2020 at 12:36pm
zero View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 12:39pm
wouldn't be too surprised to see him back at stoke.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:01pm
He has been very good for us.  Hopefully he will get a club soon.  

The only obvious youngster in Glenn's position is Josh Cullen.  He does look a real prospect but to hand him his competititve debut in Bratislava is a huge risk.  He has also been out for a few weeks but due back any day now I believe.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by zero zero wrote:

wouldn't be too surprised to see him back at stoke.

Could be a good shout.

Free player until the end of the season.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:19pm

Another idiotic statement to make.

He wasn't one of the best players in that Villa side in The Championship last season so lets not kid ourselves there either.

Mings, Grealish, McGinn, Elmo, Abraham etc were their main players so you're wrong.

We need to debunk this myth that a holding midfielder is crucial to the way we play, it really isn't and I would go as far as saying a holding midfielder is probably one of the most redundant positions in our set up! 

1. We don't start attacks from our kick outs (i.e. 6 drops in to receive the ball from the keeper to help start the attack)
2. We play a long ball game, which bypasses our midfield thus limiting their impact on a game even further.
3. When we don't have the ball we tend to sit back with 11 men behind the ball, which would make the centre of the pitch fairly compact. (Yet still we got cut open on many occasions times this campaign)
4. Due to us not pressing from the front space tends to be at a premium for the opposition to work in because they know if they go direct Duffy will hoover up most aerial threats!
5. I would also argue despite having numerous players behind the ball when out of possession we defend unbelievably deep also which again would limit the role of our holding midfielder.

Most modern day holding midfielders will try to engage with the opposition higher up the pitch, whereas Glenn plays so deep you would swear he was a third centre half.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:28pm

Ah f**k off LOL
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:29pm
Comments from the manager are a bit strange, albeit refreshingly honest.

"I can say he is a good type. He wants to take the responsibility but I have seen only three games. Do you have the feeling he is a leader in this group? It's not Glenn's fault – but a real leader in the centre of the pitch? Sorry. Maybe I missed it. Michael Smith tries to take responsibility on the pitch.

"Before I came here, they signed some players who have experience and are the right age to take the responsibility but maybe they are not fit at the moment or they cannot handle the situation at the moment."

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:36pm
Given the gung-ho/all action nature of the SPL would Glenn not have been better off going to a league with less physical demands on his body.

I mean at his age, a slower paced more technical league would have suited him far better.

Go and watch a Hearts vs Hibs game on the telly you would be nearly out of breath looking at it, never mind playing in it due to the ferocity and tempo these games are played at.

Edited by Green Devil - 07 Jan 2020 at 1:39pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

The only obvious youngster in Glenn's position is Josh Cullen.  He does look a real prospect but to hand him his competititve debut in Bratislava is a huge risk.  He has also been out for a few weeks but due back any day now I believe.

This is not a point in favour of Cullen or against Whelan but more a general one - Risk of what? Losing? We went with the 'tried and tested' against Switzerland. Lost. Went with it against Denmark needing a win. Didnt get it. Went with it against Georgia. Didn't win, never looked like winning. 

In general, i don't understand the mindset. In general football terms, sticking with the tried and tested means "I know the abilities of these 11 players, and based on this i trust them to get the job done and get us the result we need". In Ireland, it means "I know the abilities of these 11 players". They've been tried, they've been tested, they've succeeded on rare occasions, more often than not they fail. I don't understand why those predictably unfavourable odds are such a comfort to people and that it would be insanity to introduce a young player doing well for his club that might offer us something different. That applies all over the pitch.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

"I can say he is a good type. He wants to take the responsibility but I have seen only three games. Do you have the feeling he is a leader in this group? It's not Glenn's fault – but a real leader in the centre of the pitch? Sorry. Maybe I missed it. Michael Smith tries to take responsibility on the pitch.

"Before I came here, they signed some players who have experience and are the right age to take the responsibility but maybe they are not fit at the moment or they cannot handle the situation at the moment."

That manager hasn’t a clue! A lot more successful managers than him have a much better opinion of Whelan.Hopefully he’ll get another club soon as he’s been one of our greatest ever players

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 07 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:51pm
manager also sacked captain Bera. Gle will be back playing and proving the knockers wrong again.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:51pm
Whelan's been doing his job for us of defensive holding midfielder and shielding the defence and one of the reasons we concede few goals is because of his efforts. The remainder of the midfield and strike force responsible for the creation and scoring of goals are the ones that are failing in their job. 
Molumby's a promising player but he's not a tackler at all, he plays in a deep role but his qualities are in creating play not of a defensive nature so he's not a like for like replacement in any respect. Maybe we could manage without a defensive midfielder completely but playoff match is a one off and not the best time to experiment, we could completely collapse. 
Having said that if Whelan's not playing regular football he's going to need to be replaced; more likely by Cullen if he's fit. McCarthy doen't seem bothered and isn't someone we can count on.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

manager also sacked captain Bera. Gle will be back playing and proving the knockers wrong again.
Berra has been absolutely abysmal for a while though. It is clearly a season too far for him.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

This is not a point in favour of Cullen or against Whelan but more a general one - Risk of what? Losing? We went with the 'tried and tested' against Switzerland. Lost. Went with it against Denmark needing a win. Didnt get it. Went with it against Georgia. Didn't win, never looked like winning. 

In general, i don't understand the mindset. In general football terms, sticking with the tried and tested means "I know the abilities of these 11 players, and based on this i trust them to get the job done and get us the result we need". In Ireland, it means "I know the abilities of these 11 players". They've been tried, they've been tested, they've succeeded on rare occasions, more often than not they fail. I don't understand why those predictably unfavourable odds are such a comfort to people and that it would be insanity to introduce a young player doing well for his club that might offer us something different. That applies all over the pitch.

Clap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

LOL

How come you never add any analysis on what the likes of Glenn offers this Irish side in a football context i.e. on the pitch. 

All you ever do is whinge and moan when people aren't saying what you want to hear about your favourites, it's embarrassing.

Basically you either go over the top praising certain players you like or you go over the top defending them without actually talking about what they actually do or bring to the team.

The depth of your comments are basically - Glenn always shows up, Glenn has 90 caps, Glenn is a lovely bloke etc

Edited by Green Devil - 07 Jan 2020 at 2:09pm

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

That manager hasn’t a clue! A lot more successful managers than him have a much better opinion of Whelan.Hopefully he’ll get another club soon as he’s been one of our greatest ever players

LOLLOLLOL

Now, I'm by no means a Whelan basher. I think he's been one of our most consistent players the past 2 campaigns but to call him one of our best ever is just laughable.

I hope this is tongue in cheek!

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 159>
  Share Topic