You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 159>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 4:24pm
It seemed like the only club that went for him in the summer was Hearts and he did wait a while before deciding to play for them.

Would Stoke be a good option for him? They seem to be struggling badly and will need to get someone in on a shoestring although I dont think he's any better than what they already have.

League 1 or 2 seems the best option for him.
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 1:26pm
the new manager at Hearts has not won many people over. Lost his first four games and took Christmas Day off heading back to Germany the day before the Edinburgh derby where they lost to hibs. Still, he’s made an interesting point there about leadership. Whelo is not really a leader with the ball, although he’s know for being a good talker and a good example as a pro. Professional not proactive 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 1:38pm
As poor as Whelan can be in possession, I'm not sure the likes of Damour and Hearts other options are any better. Most likely a clash of personalities I'd say.
We're decent enough..
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

As poor as Whelan can be in possession, I'm not sure the likes of Damour and Hearts other options are any better. Most likely a clash of personalities I'd say.

It would certainly appear to be a clash in personalities. I thought his comments about Whelan lacked class. While I tend to agree with them, they  are very unprofessional. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 6:14pm
Whelan hasn't been playing well for Hearts and Stendel looks to have singled him out and made an example of him.

If Whelan was playing well my feeling is that Hearts would have kept him in the team somehow (although that's just my opinion) but the results and performances speak for themselves.

I cant imagine many teams will be queuing up for his signature at this point which begs the question, will he be in the ireland team in three months.

McCarthy, Molumby and Cullen (if fit) are already better options.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 10:15pm
Surely his best bet now is a return home to the likes of St Pat's or Shamrock Rovers. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Surely his best bet now is a return home to the likes of St Pat's or Shamrock Rovers. 
He would struggle on the LOI

Edited by King_Kenny - 29 Dec 2019 at 10:45pm
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

This comment takes the biscuit.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 3:48am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

This comment takes the biscuit.

He may not exactly struggle in the LOI, but he wouldn't stand out one bit. None of the top sides hoping to win the title next season would touch him. He cannot run. Now if he had other skill sets that were really strong to offset his lack of mobility, the top sides would probably consider him. He doesn't though, so those top LOI sides won't touch him imo. There's a reason he ended up at Hearts. Not just Hearts btw, but an appalling Hearts side.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 9:40am
He’s 36 in Jan.
Probably time to hang up the boots and look back on a successful career.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 9:51am
He was Hearts best player only a couple of months back. Who were constantly singing his praises, and now he's now he's not good enough for the LOI
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 10:26am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He was Hearts best player only a couple of months back. Who were constantly singing his praises, and now he's now he's not good enough for the LOI

In regard to his international future (i.e. more than likely being nailed on to start in March) it's a very poor barometer to be using given that this is the worst Hearts team in 5 or 6 years to boot! In essence he is now paying for below par performances and isn't wanted by the new manager and the fans said he's not committed.

Jonny Hayes can't get into the Irish squad despite being playing regularly for Celtic (to a point) , Adam Rooney couldn't win an Irish cap despite scoring for fun in Scotland when he was at Aberdeen etc but will now suddenly not starting for the worst side in the SPL be deemed ok for McCarthy to select Glenn Whelan because it's "Glenn Whelan" ?!!

We now have plenty of players operating and performing at a higher level than Whelan -

Williams and Molumby (Millwall) , McCarthy (Crystal Palace) , Cullen (Charlton) etc there should be no excuse's from McCarthy in March.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 10:28am

He was said to be the best player in a couple of games according to who? a handful of desperate Hearts fans on a forum that support a team that pretty much loses every game. Ffs horse...
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 10:50am
In terms of individual and overall team performances in this qualifying group for Euro 2020 it has been one of our worst campaigns in many years.

Players who may have gotten pass marks against cannon fodder like Gibraltar or when we rode our luck in games against Denmark away, Georgia away and Switzerland at home especially, seem to paper over how poor we were for the most part and the situation we find ourselves in, is firmly settling for mediocrity or ignoring it!

McCarthy needs to show some cajones and pick our form players at club level, for the first time in years we seem to have plenty of promising players playing week in week out for their clubs and some of the old guard like Long are starting to show signs of being back in form.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

He was said to be the best player in a couple of games according to who? a handful of desperate Hearts fans on a forum that support a team that pretty much loses every game. Ffs horse...

The majority of Hearts fans.

The reality is that McCarthy will look at Whelan's performances for Ireland to know that he can trust him to do a job, as overall he played well in the campaign (excluding Georgia away) and was one of the better performers in the last 2 games.

If Whelan doesn't play again until our next game in Slovakia, Mick might look at other options, and those options IMO will be McCarthy and then Cullen, if McCarthy declines, then Cullen will probably play.

That's how I read it.

There is also a very important game for the u21's with Ireland playing Iceland at home. Kenny is trying to get this game moved.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 5:03pm
Fair points horse but I would disagree that the majority of Hearts fans care one jot that Whelan has been given the boot.

I would also disagree that Whelan did anything In this campaign that cant be done better than any of mccarthy, molumby or cullen going forward.

I accept that some feel whelan was one of our better players but I disagree and feel that teams walked through the middle of our midfield with relative ease, whelan doesnt offer for the ball when we do have it and is not technical enough to do so if he wanted.

All things I would expect a defensive midfielder to do such as driving the team forward from the back and holding the midfield line, in my opinion were not done.

I did see a couple of good moments like interceptions and a couple of cross field passes but very little more.

Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 9:30am
Has left Hearts by mutual consent - where to next? 
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Reillers88 Reillers88 wrote:

Has left Hearts by mutual consent - where to next? 

Hitting form to start against Slovakia at just the right time then.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 159>
  Share Topic