Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 159>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

You want me to explain that Glenn Whelan is a central midfield player?

We are through the looking glass people.

Its ok hans GD just explained it for you.You seem to have a gripe with every post.
AngryConfused

I'm genuinely confused. You quoted and bolded 'in the heart of midfield' in my post and asked me to explain.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think that if we look at the ireland midfielders over the past few years, its difficult not to agree that Whelan was one of the best of a very bad bunch.

James McCarthy and Harry Arter are unreliable for various reasons we wont go into 

Hendrick and hourihane are technically better footballers but both tend to go missing in games for large periods of time.

James mcclean and Brady have been either absent in the case of Brady and high energy but mediocre ability in mccleans case 

Robinson and browne have played a few games and have only started making some progress in terms of impact on the team.

Players like Cullen , molumby, Byrne have only just started getting game time with clubs.

So whelan I would say, has been our better midfielder. 

But I disagree with some of the superlatives used to describe him like immense etc. 

We would have been worse off without him but he's not a midfielder that should be looking at close to 100 caps for ireland.

Why shouldn’t he be looking at close to 100 caps?
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:47pm
In short, what is his roll in the system we play? I was expecting you to elaborate.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:55pm

In short, what is his roll in the system we play? I was expecting you to elaborate.

You know his role in the team I presume, so why are you asking me to explain it to you?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:00pm

Whelans role is to break down opposition attacks, protect the central defenders by closing down creative midfield players, receive the ball from our defenders and drive the team forward, provide a passing option to the defenders and other midfielders to link play together, hold the midfield line and ensure that there is no space for the opposition team in the centre of the field.

Something like that... no?
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:01pm

You know his role in the team I presume, so why are you asking me to explain it to you?

I wanted your interpretation of whats expected of him by the manager, not by you.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Glenn Whelan was arguably our best player this campaign. One or two others have a case but he's been consistent throughout, as evidenced by two media man-of-the-match awards. Three of the most thrilling and skilful events in the Ireland group games were:

1: Glenn Whelan's incredible thunderbolt off the crossbar against Denmark away.

2: The resultant goal that followed from that Whelan long-range shot.

3. The brilliant last-ditch tackle by Whelan that saved a certain goal in the final minutes and kept the draw in the same game. 

Whelan's recall was utterly justified - had other players upped their performances as he did we would now be qualified for the Euros. Those consistently pillorying Whelan are pathetic scapegoat hunters who churn out the usual barstool claptrap. Give the guy his fair dues - or shut the hell up and do us all a favour. 

McGoldrick has been our best player this campaign lets not pretend to ourselves any different.

So 3 examples from 1 match, mind blowing.

Randolphs world class save against Georgia trumps anything for me this campaign.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Glenn Whelan was arguably our best player this campaign. One or two others have a case but he's been consistent throughout, as evidenced by two media man-of-the-match awards. Three of the most thrilling and skilful events in the Ireland group games were:

3. The brilliant last-ditch tackle by Whelan that saved a certain goal in the final minutes and kept the draw in the same game. 

Whelan's recall was utterly justified - had other players upped their performances as he did we would now be qualified for the Euros. Those consistently pillorying Whelan are pathetic scapegoat hunters who churn out the usual barstool claptrap. Give the guy his fair dues - or shut the hell up and do us all a favour. 

McGoldrick has been our best player this campaign lets not pretend to ourselves any different.

Randolphs world class save against Georgia trumps anything for me this campaign.

Randolph or McGoldrick have been our best players this campaign imo. Whelan has done fine for what he is. 

In the 2 Switzerland games you could have driven a bus through the Irish midfield such were the defensive gaps. It's strange how there are few comments on those 2 of our games.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

plus and I'll stand corrected all 3 of those incidents were at home to Switzerland
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:17pm

I wanted your interpretation of whats expected of him by the manager, not by you.

Beyond bizarre.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:17pm

He always struck me as a ham and cheese man.

I think one of the biggest problems for him, and it will be the same for any other defensive minded midfielder who comes into the side, is that nobody wants the ball from him. Just about every other midfielder we have tried this decade is afraid of getting the ball in the middle of the field and, as poor as they are, there are few alternatives. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:23pm
I don't mind the trolls, I don't mind the negativity, I don't mind the people who are wrong, I don't mind the people who won't change their mind....

But what I do mind is the relentless stream of arrogant, dismissive, unbending invective directed towards anyone who has the temerity to disagree with the fine mind stylings of Mr. H Moleman, Esq.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:23pm

McGoldrick was very good - nobody pretending otherwise. In fact, no one is pretending at all. 
The minus is that one goal from our main striker is not enough.
Randolph also had a good series. 

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.
Our defence was awesome but gee willikers our offence was poor.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I don't mind the trolls, I don't mind the negativity, I don't mind the people who are wrong, I don't mind the people who won't change their mind....

But what I do mind is the relentless stream of arrogant, dismissive, unbending invective directed towards anyone who has the temerity to disagree with the fine mind stylings of Mr. H Moleman, Esq.

Absolute poison post. Again not your first.

Please point towards these posts you are referring to.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:28pm
Hans, as someone who has regularly been a **** on here, I advise to always be self-aware.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Hans, as someone who has regularly been a **** on here, I advise to always be self-aware.

Oh I'm very aware when I'm being a ****. I'm also very aware when others are being ****s. That last post is ****ish at best and that is an incredibly kind description.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:32pm
While historical criticism of Whelan may be fair, I struggle but to be positive about his contribution over the past year. On a football level it would have been great to have Rice, but even if we did, Whelan deserves to be here, especially as he has put in some excellent shifts under McCarthy.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:34pm

Beyond bizarre.
Dismissive.

It is scary to read such comments and that these opinions are widely held.

For anyone to say that a midfield player, no matter what their designated role, has no input into how we attack is frightening.
Arrogant, dismissive.

We are through the looking glass people.
Again, arrogant, dismissive.

You genuinely couldn't make up that level of utter tripe.
Arrogant, dismissive, unbending invective.

That's from the last four hours. What I suggest you do when you write a long post is re-read the last sentence before hitting submit, and see what you would think of it if the rest of the post was written by someone you disagreed with. I know it might be hard for you to envisage that someone could genuinely disagree with your [sarcasm] perfectly objective 100% correct opinions on everything [/sarcasm] rather than being an idiot or a troll, but give it a try once in a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 159>
  Share Topic