You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 159>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 4:04pm
He's some scapegoat if I ever saw one.
Sponsored Links

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 4:18pm
Suggesting he should be playing because he is the best defensive midfielder we have,
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Terrible to see some of the posts on here Glenn loves his country made himself available to MICK and for me deserves to be in our team.

Squad maybe. Would much prefer a fit James McCarthy in the deep lying role. 
And I want a pet unicorn...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

the season has barely started so everyone is in the same preseason boat.

You could play Williams, arter, James McCarthy if he gets a move, Ryan manning could get a chance. 

Just not a 37 year old who can’t pass and hasn’t got a club. You need someone quick, alert and with bags of energy in that role.

We’ve surly got to move on for this now. 
I have no problem moving on, but can we at least do it in a cheerful manner?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Linked with Hearts

accepting that, rightly or wrongly, mick rates him and is going to keep him involved/utilize him, this wouldn't be the worst move as he'll definitely play regularly

And as unpopular as that might be who is the obvious choice to play as the defensive midfielder. Personally I think Shaun Williams should get his opportunity but Mick doesn't seem to rate him as he wasn't included in the last squad. But apart from Williams who is better equipped than Whelan to do the defensive donkey work when the likes of Hendrick and Hourihane are in advanced positions. It's easy to ridicule his lack of passing ability but his role in the team is not to pick an eye of the needle pass. 

Why would it be easy to ridicule his passing when Whelan is a very good passer. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:03pm
Whelan has at the very least a championship season left in him. I thought it was a mistake for villa to release him tbh.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Whelan has at the very least a championship season left in him. I thought it was a mistake for villa to release him tbh.

Whelan would not have got any game time in the PL this season. Made sense for them to release Glenn. We will have to wait and see where he ends up.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 7:22pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

the season has barely started so everyone is in the same preseason boat.

You could play Williams, arter, James McCarthy if he gets a move, Ryan manning could get a chance. 

Just not a 37 year old who can’t pass and hasn’t got a club. You need someone quick, alert and with bags of energy in that role.

We’ve surly got to move on for this now. 
I have no problem moving on, but can we at least do it in a cheerful manner?

That’s fair - I don’t hate Whelan but it does frustrate me to watch him play. 

He’s been a great servant to the Ireland team with zero drama.
LOL
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:05pm

Whelan was a bit-part championship player with villa last year with mostly sub appearances, he’s one year closer to 40, slower, less able to recover but somehow can compete this year?

I don’t know why Roy Keane bothered to retire to be honest. 

Surely it's less bother to retire.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:49pm

Whelan was a bit-part championship player with villa last year with mostly sub appearances, he’s one year closer to 40, slower, less able to recover but somehow can compete this year?

I don’t know why Roy Keane bothered to retire to be honest. 

26 starts, 12 times off the bench. But why ruin a good rant with some facts.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 9:09pm
Was just going to post that myself . He was exceptional in their last dozen games but made a mistake in the semi final that cost him his place. I’m very friendly with the villa boys who travel to the Ireland games and they loved him as did Stoke Fans.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 1:42am
Imagine how dark a f*cking place we are in that years and years after realising that Whelan is nowhere near good enough to get us to a place any country should aspire to be (regularly qualifying for major tournaments), we are still f*cking here. Playing Whelan in major games. Most likely playing Whelan in September against the Swiss (a top 10 or 20 World ranked side?)

Worse again, most likely playing Whelan, an unattached 30 odd million year old player against a top 10/20 world ranked side. It is disgusting on every level and beyond depressing.

Oh sweet baby Jaysus, little tiny baby Jaysus, roll on the time when the absolute dinosaur who is over us now is gone and we can just look forward with the smallest crumbs of hope into the future. Thank you little tiny baby Jaysus, you are my favourite Jaysus.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 07 Aug 2019 at 1:42am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 4:48am
Harsh. He wasnt a premier league regular for 9 years for nothing. Does what he does, doesnt do what he cant. He has made a career out of doing what his managers instrust without fussing. Early in his career at sheff weds he was 4-7 goals a season, getting further forward and scoring from range. Went to Stroke and sat back as asked. Same as every other manager has asked. He is not Xaxi, he is not Iniesta. As a Celtic fan he reminds me of Neil Lennon towards end of career. Sitting deep, no risk taken. Limited yes, but does what is asked. Save the hate for likes of Stephen Ireland etc who had so much potential and wasted it. Some bitter c*nts on here.

Edited by PaddyDaCulchie - 07 Aug 2019 at 4:49am
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 10:33am
very limited but has played week in week out for years at premier league level, something which alot of our former players couldn't do , i actually admire him as much as the likes of Keane and Duff for simply never saying no to a call up and he always put us first and turned up for summer training camps etc , to come on and post such negative comments about him is just not right , he was also outstanding against Georgia back in March. 
royal rover
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Imagine how dark a f*cking place we are in that years and years after realising that Whelan is nowhere near good enough to get us to a place any country should aspire to be (regularly qualifying for major tournaments), we are still f*cking here. Playing Whelan in major games. Most likely playing Whelan in September against the Swiss (a top 10 or 20 World ranked side?)

Worse again, most likely playing Whelan, an unattached 30 odd million year old player against a top 10/20 world ranked side. It is disgusting on every level and beyond depressing.

Oh sweet baby Jaysus, little tiny baby Jaysus, roll on the time when the absolute dinosaur who is over us now is gone and we can just look forward with the smallest crumbs of hope into the future. Thank you little tiny baby Jaysus, you are my favourite Jaysus.

Hi everybody, welcome to today's lecture, "Hyperbole 101" with Prof. Hans Moleman.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 12:53am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Hi everybody, welcome to today's lecture, "Hyperbole 101" with Prof. Hans Moleman.

Nothing at all hyperbolic about what I'm saying. A lad who never was and obviously never will be good enough to really help push us on as a team is still at the heart of our team in huge matches in this campaign. If Whelan is 45 and back playing Leinster Senior League football, should he still be getting called because 1. He's always turned up and isn't like Roy Keane or Duffer in that regard 2. He's a nice fella 3. Tony Pulis at the mighty Stoke loved him for years and played him regularly 4. Nobody will ever be able to do the things in midfield Whelan does.

Btw I'm not having a go at Whelan here (I have done plenty of times before). If I was 50 and being called up for Ireland squad, I would accept the call in a heartbeat. The Irish senior setup is disgusting, but that is no surprise once we appointed McCarthy to the position. It's beyond depressing as well and roll on 12 months time or sooner, when I believe when we can finally start moving on from one of the darkest periods in Irish football history (FAI, Delaney, end of MON tenure, McCarthy bring brought back).

Edited by Hans Moleman - 08 Aug 2019 at 12:56am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 1:04am
With James McCarthy moving to Palace, he's a shoe in for the sitting midfielder role in Irish midfield. 

Josh Cullen now playing championship level with Charlton. I think Glenn's international days are numbered. He may get call up for initial 150 man panel but realistically he'll struggle to make final squad especially if he's not getting substantial game tine.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 2:42am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

With James McCarthy moving to Palace, he's a shoe in for the sitting midfielder role in Irish midfield. 

Josh Cullen now playing championship level with Charlton. I think Glenn's international days are numbered. He may get call up for initial 150 man panel but realistically he'll struggle to make final squad especially if he's not getting substantial game tine.

Sadly I think you're mistaken there. As long as McCarthy is manager I'd expect Whelan to start most if not all qualifiers. Even if he signs for the Renford Rejects, it won't matter to the manager.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 110111112113114 159>
  Share Topic