You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 159>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:11am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Great performance, furthest forward I've seen him be allowed push that far forward since that strike against Italy in Croker. 

In the last few minutes he was the furthest one forward on a counter attack LOL

Very composed performance. Gave it away a couple of times but that's to be expected when you're given license to pass forward instead of backwards all the time. Can be a very good passer at times, showed a similar level to his Stoke performances last night.

He may be in the last year or 2 of his career but we'd be mad to not include him in the team. He's already shown he won't retire so keep him in there as long as he plays well.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:12am
One of Whelan's best games for Irealnd he set the standard for the team.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:52am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ive always seen his quality. People just got on the bandwagon to slate him over the years.

Very true - always was a solid player for us.

Some lads on here will be fuming he played well.
Rolo , Carlowancelotti etc

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:21am
As i said in the match thread, Trap and MON probably ruined his international career. He was always a decent passer of the ball when playing regularly for Stoke in the PL. Easily his best game for Ireland in 6 or 7 years
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 9:57am
The wheelo chant at the end summed up the whole night for me. I’ve been a fan for years and felt he was treated very badly by pundits especially Dunphy.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:24am
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Great performance, furthest forward I've seen him be allowed push that forward since that strike against Italy in Croker. 
Shame he couldn't replicate that goal with that 'shot' at the endLOL

Other than that though, he had a brilliant game. Clap

That was actually a genius stroke of time wasting by Whelan - lovely, slow measured ball into the corner to run down a few more seconds.

It could take McClean's game awareness to another dimension - if he pays close attention.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ive always seen his quality. People just got on the bandwagon to slate him over the years.

Very true - always was a solid player for us.

Some lads on here will be fuming he played well.
Rolo , Carlowancelotti etc

Are you actually the full shilling Confused

Why would I be fuming an Ireland player played well Clown

As for the fact you took time out to write Carlowancelotti shows a lot more about your character than mine, oddball.

Edited by Green Devil - 27 Mar 2019 at 11:09am
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:23pm
Indo gave Whelan a 6 but Brady and McClean both got 7s. 

John Brennan must have been watching a different match to me. McGoldrick deserved his MOM award but Whelan wasn’t a million miles off him as being our best performer last night 
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

John Brennan must have been watching a different match to me. McGoldrick deserved his MOM award but Whelan wasn’t a million miles off him as being our best performer last night 

yeah saw that, absurd. really does make you wonder what game people watch lol
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:49pm

I get the impression that a lot of journalists throw in a controversial rating or two to generate discussion and get a little bit of their ego massaged. I am also sure that they will claim otherwise! That isn't 'clickbait', rather wanting to be talked about.
Like when a referee decides to let everyone know he really isn't giving a penalty.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 2:49pm
Just proved what some of us have said for ages- yes he has his limitations, but the fact remains we don't have any other players in the current squad better than him at what he does. Probably made more forward passes last night than in the previous 3 years combined, so credit to Mick for that too, it didn't happen by accident. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:53pm

Bizarre. Brady was poor and is clearly unfit. McClean was good running with the ball and turning their defence but his end product was woeful. I could accept a 7 for him but that's generous. Brady a 6 at best. Whelan an 8.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Just proved what some of us have said for ages- yes he has his limitations, but the fact remains we don't have any other players in the current squad better than him at what he does. Probably made more forward passes last night than in the previous 3 years combined, so credit to Mick for that too, it didn't happen by accident. 

You can say that for all our midfield tbh.

As someone said I think he controlled the game for us, broke up play when needed by either intercepting and being it the right place at the right time, passed sideways/backwards when needed to slow down the pace and moved forward when needed.

Yes he got 1 or 2 passes wrong but that's going to happen, I'd love to see the pass accuracy for the night I'd say he was quite high.

strong in tackle and didn't mistime many can only remember one of top of my head where he committed and was got by.

In terms of other players perhaps only James McCarthy when fit can match him.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:04pm
He was exactly what was missing on Saturday. The other two in midfield have little discipline, he anchored them perfectly.
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:43pm
Good game last night, best in a green shirt in a long time..but still think a fit J. McCarthy is our best option in the holding role.
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:50pm
Jesus after all the feelgood vibes after the game last night I completely forgot James McCarthy has to come back into the fray ! 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 4:46am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I get the impression that a lot of journalists throw in a controversial rating or two to generate discussion and get a little bit of their ego massaged. I am also sure that they will claim otherwise! That isn't 'clickbait', rather wanting to be talked about.
Like when a referee decides to let everyone know he really isn't giving a penalty.

Rice getting the YPOTY award suggested as much.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 8:20am
got a new career in test cricket waiting, as a deep fielder. What a catch!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 159>
  Share Topic