You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Smith (A First!!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:40am
http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2009/11/sectarian-fear-for-17-year-old.html

THE fear of sectarian attacks has forced the father of a Drogheda United under-17 player to deny his son the opportunity to avail of trials with Glasgow Rangers.Darius Kierans, manager of the Drogheda team, was approached by a Rangers scout both during and after the summer Foyle Cup tournament in Derry, where 17-year-old Pete McMahon scored the winning goal in the plate finalBy Marcus Cavaroli
THE fear of sectarian attacks has forced the father of a Drogheda United under-17 player to deny his son the opportunity to avail of trials with Glasgow Rangers.

Darius Kierans, manager of the Drogheda team, was approached by a Rangers scout both during and after the summer Foyle Cup tournament in Derry, where 17-year-old Pete McMahon scored the winning goal in the plate final against English professional side Bournemouth.

The Scottish giants wanted to offer young Pete a trial, but when Kierans rang the boy’s father Paddy with the ‘good news’ he didn’t get the response he might have expected.

‘It would be a bigger honour if it was Celtic,’ Paddy told the Drogheda Independent this week. ‘But although Pete is a big Celtic and Man United fan, he was very happy when I told him and he would love to go.

‘But we live in Castleblayney, three miles south of the border, which is very awkward. We haven’t been victims ourselves, but there’s a serious sectarian problem where we are.

‘At the end of the day, it’s only football and people would be robbing the house if he went to Rangers.’

The McMahon family returned to County Monaghan in 1999 after 34 years in England, where young Pete had a trial with Blackburn Rovers and once scored 57 goals in a single season for Evergreen, an underage club in Watford where he was born.

After spells with Monaghan United and Dundalk, the youngster changed clubs again, opting for Drogheda as it gave him the opportunity of playing Premier Division football in the Dublin & District League.

Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:43am

Where does it say threats from Celtic fans as you alluded to in previous posts ? Confused 

Usual anti-Celtic bullsh*t from you again Gouldy.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:43am
Best of luck Alan. Maybe this is a sign of progress

Hope he gets the respect he deserves from Irish and Rangers supporters alike.

G'wan Rangers!
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Where does it say threats from Celtic fans as you alluded to in previous posts ? Confused 

Im sure his aul lad in his lifetime has been threatened by a Celtic fan

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 10:52am
Judas!
Seriously this lad is going to get alot of abuse over this move.
I can guarantee you even the Rangers fans will abuse him big time.
Even his own mates and neighbours will give him stick.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:00am
Originally posted by horsebox1977 horsebox1977 wrote:

Judas!

why?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
heyirish View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:07am

Judas!

I hope not but it is a distinct possibility to be fair. This will be very interesting to see what happens because if it doesnt work out no Irish person will ever sign for Rangers again. I wouldnt imagine he will have too many problems with the squad but the games will be interesting at the beginning
karl pilkington to doctor when getting prostate examined: jesus thats high up that is, fcuking hell, right you're touching a lung now
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:11am

Judas!

You do know he has different mates and neighbours than yourself and is probably from a more civilised way of life like than you are. There is a world outside of your own.

Edited by Gouldinho09 - 24 Jul 2010 at 11:12am

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:12am

that website is a crock as well , lot of hatred in the clown who runs that , and the clowns who read it
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:22am
Good luck to him, he will probably need it
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

that website is a crock as well , lot of hatred in the clown who runs that , and the clowns who read it

Didn't open it so didn't realise. Good man Gouldy back up your story using an anti-Celtic website. Clown 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

Judas!

You do know he has different mates and neighbours than yourself and is probably from a more civilised way of life like than you are. There is a world outside of your own.

What exactly is that meant to mean?

Do you honestly think that he is not going to get stick from both Rangers  and Celtic supporters?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
DG80 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:12pm
fair play to him. big club, playing for trophies every season. 50k fans every second week.
cup champions
FiremanDan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:39pm
I think you'll find what was written on that site was the sanitised version. No different to me coming on here and spouting racist or sectarian sh*te. It would be removed within minutes. So while the lad has balls to sign for a club like Rangers I have to say I would fear for him if he ever represented Ireland and full international level. Best of luck to him but while the majority of Rangers fans may welcome this guy 10% is still a minority which would represent 4,000 Rangers fans at a home game. And that represents a lot of potential abuse.

On another matter though don't you just love ill-educated bigots ? One Rangers fan wrote when referring to Steven Davis and Kyle Lafferty as being Irish players at Rangers. He wrote, and I quote

" to be correct they are Ulstermen or Ulster-scots so not of Irish disent "

Disent - love it. I wonder is that the same type of "disent" (sic) that gets you booked for arguing with a referee!!
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:32pm
I wish him all the best and hope he progresses well at Rangers.

I don't care what club our players are playing for as long as they progress to a level were they can do a good job for Ireland. That's my only concern.

I would be utterly ashamed if this lad progressed to international level and was given stick by our support because he plays for a particular british club.

I'll certainly be keeping a good look out to see how he's doing at Rangers.

FiremanDan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Belfast Green Belfast Green wrote:

I wish him all the best and hope he progresses well at Rangers.

I don't care what club our players are playing for as long as they progress to a level were they can do a good job for Ireland. That's my only concern.

I would be utterly ashamed if this lad progressed to international level and was given stick by our support because he plays for a particular british club.

I'll certainly be keeping a good look out to see how he's doing at Rangers.

I never considered the other abuse this guy might get. Good point. I hope we never reach the level AGAIN where we boo out own players for whatever reason. But I'm afraid to say I feel it will happen. As I said before a minority could still amount to a few hundred or more. That's enough to make noise.
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Gouldinho09 Gouldinho09 wrote:

http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2009/11/sectarian-fear-for-17-year-old.html

THE fear of sectarian attacks has forced the father of a Drogheda United under-17 player to deny his son the opportunity to avail of trials with Glasgow Rangers.Darius Kierans, manager of the Drogheda team, was approached by a Rangers scout both during and after the summer Foyle Cup tournament in Derry, where 17-year-old Pete McMahon scored the winning goal in the plate finalBy Marcus Cavaroli
THE fear of sectarian attacks has forced the father of a Drogheda United under-17 player to deny his son the opportunity to avail of trials with Glasgow Rangers.

Darius Kierans, manager of the Drogheda team, was approached by a Rangers scout both during and after the summer Foyle Cup tournament in Derry, where 17-year-old Pete McMahon scored the winning goal in the plate final against English professional side Bournemouth.

The Scottish giants wanted to offer young Pete a trial, but when Kierans rang the boy’s father Paddy with the ‘good news’ he didn’t get the response he might have expected.

‘It would be a bigger honour if it was Celtic,’ Paddy told the Drogheda Independent this week. ‘But although Pete is a big Celtic and Man United fan, he was very happy when I told him and he would love to go.

‘But we live in Castleblayney, three miles south of the border, which is very awkward. We haven’t been victims ourselves, but there’s a serious sectarian problem where we are.

‘At the end of the day, it’s only football and people would be robbing the house if he went to Rangers.’

The McMahon family returned to County Monaghan in 1999 after 34 years in England, where young Pete had a trial with Blackburn Rovers and once scored 57 goals in a single season for Evergreen, an underage club in Watford where he was born.

After spells with Monaghan United and Dundalk, the youngster changed clubs again, opting for Drogheda as it gave him the opportunity of playing Premier Division football in the Dublin & District League.

yeah thats the article
Chopper 76 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper 76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 4:23pm
thats a brave lad fair play to him it shouldnt matter where hes from anyway so long as he does the job for the huns.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic