You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Irish economy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Irish economy
    Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

It's approval, not drawdowns, which is why it will have a massive impact on demand.

RE Geographical spread, I think so. We are seeing plenty of evidence of it here. People coming from Dublin, Galway, Sligo etc to work from home. Both renting and buying. Could be great for smaller towns and villages around the country. 
Yep a real game changer for small towns Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:11am
It's approval, not drawdowns, which is why it will have a massive impact on demand.

RE Geographical spread, I think so. We are seeing plenty of evidence of it here. People coming from Dublin, Galway, Sligo etc to work from home. Both renting and buying. Could be great for smaller towns and villages around the country. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:49am
Is that approved mortgages in principle though?

How many will be able to actually get a suitable house though for what they were approved I wonder? One thing being approved but still a long way to go to being able to find somewhere, win the bidding war and actually draw down
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:48am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

There was definitely an impact during the first lockdown but the second one hasn't affected it at all. A good sign generally as there is still good sentiment /confidence but not good for buyers that demand will increase so much 

I wonder if geographical demand will change with people working from home and the view that our ways of working have changed forever. No doubt Daft will have a report out soon enough.

It’s definitely happening in London.
A lot of people are realising their small flats/houses don’t really work when one or both parents are working from home.

Big demand for houses just outside.

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:23am

There was definitely an impact during the first lockdown but the second one hasn't affected it at all. A good sign generally as there is still good sentiment /confidence but not good for buyers that demand will increase so much 

I wonder if geographical demand will change with people working from home and the view that our ways of working have changed forever. No doubt Daft will have a report out soon enough.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Mad stat today that there were more mortgage approvals in November since they started keeping records in 2011.

Stemming from people being able to save more during the pandemic. But because there has still been f**k all built, supply dwindles while demand sky rocket
I heard that alright. It's total mortgages so includes everyone that is moving and also those doing extensions, it's a great sign alright.

I've seen it at work that mortgges weren't really affected by this crisis. The main people affected by this crisis (tourism workers, bar staff, shop assistants) weren't the type buying houses. Most of those on PUP were under 30

There was a lot of people still working during the lockdown when there job had actually closed....childcare workers,hairdressers etc so these people were still earning and getting the PUP payment...goes along way to helping to get the deposit up.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 8:21pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:48pm

Mad stat today that there were more mortgage approvals in November since they started keeping records in 2011.

Stemming from people being able to save more during the pandemic. But because there has still been f**k all built, supply dwindles while demand sky rocket
I heard that alright. It's total mortgages so includes everyone that is moving and also those doing extensions, it's a great sign alright.

I've seen it at work that mortgges weren't really affected by this crisis. The main people affected by this crisis (tourism workers, bar staff, shop assistants) weren't the type buying houses. Most of those on PUP were under 30
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:15pm

Stemming from people being able to save more during the pandemic. But because there has still been f**k all built, supply dwindles while demand sky rockets

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Any return to a semblance of normality will be long overdue come May 5th but it will just bring an inevitable flair up in cases again.
 I think in the next week or so we will see a more laissez faires attitude from communities as people start gathering again (small numbers with family etc) as we just get to grips witu the idea that it’s simply not going away until we all get a jab in the arm. 

What will happen with the crèches? 

I’d imagine crèches and infants will be the last to return as they can’t social distance....collages and secondary schools will go back early enough if they want the leaving cert etc done in July ...I’m guessing they’ll go back mid June.
Collage? collage? Ooh la la! How posh is that?

ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Any return to a semblance of normality will be long overdue come May 5th but it will just bring an inevitable flair up in cases again.
 I think in the next week or so we will see a more laissez faires attitude from communities as people start gathering again (small numbers with family etc) as we just get to grips witu the idea that it’s simply not going away until we all get a jab in the arm. 

I’d imagine crèches and infants will be the last to return as they can’t social distance....collages and secondary schools will go back early enough if they want the leaving cert etc done in July ...I’m guessing they’ll go back mid June.

The sensible thing to do would be to tell all secondary school students that aren't exam years that they finished up and see you in September. 

Can see the likes of restaurants and non essential shops opening first as they can implement social distancing easy and can also operate with reduced opening times if needed
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 1:41am

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:49am

Edited by McG - 19 Apr 2020 at 12:50am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:41am
May 5th is going ahead as the first step back to normality.
It’s phased but good to see a little light at the end of the tunnel 
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Not a snowballs chance in hell will this happen in Irish locals LOL

Not so sure Daithi. Seeing pubs operating delivery services for food nearby - now not ‘local’ pubs but publicans will do anything to reopen and can see this as only potential solution in short term.

One problem with reopening is that half the country will want to pile into the pubs. Need to ban bandwagon jumpers 

I’d say the government are sh*tting themselves over this...the ramp back up to normality will be very very slow because as you say half the country will pile into pubs,airports to get away etc.its gonna be extremely hard to do it anyway,I can’t see them allowing 50 people in,what will happen if others want to get in....wait till people inside come out???i also see that there’s a covid 19 induction going around for construction workers.the induction is sent to your phone and you complete it,it then gives you a barcode on your phone when you complete it allowing access to site.going by that...I’d imagine that they’ll get the construction sector back asap.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Not a snowballs chance in hell will this happen in Irish locals LOL

Not so sure Daithi. Seeing pubs operating delivery services for food nearby - now not ‘local’ pubs but publicans will do anything to reopen and can see this as only potential solution in short term.

One problem with reopening is that half the country will want to pile into the pubs. Need to ban bandwagon jumpers 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm

I think a lot of domestic holidaying is on the cards alright, which is fine by me. We live in an amazing country and frankly i would love to have done more of it. But it is bloody expensive doing w decent holiday in Ireland 
Is it expensive because you expect to spend less tho? My family holdiay for 4 to Spain this year was gonna knock me back about 2,200 - I'd be getting a lot for that over here. 
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 7:59pm

I think a lot of domestic holidaying is on the cards alright, which is fine by me. We live in an amazing country and frankly i would love to have done more of it. But it is bloody expensive doing w decent holiday in Ireland 

Can't wait to finally get to go home and find the place riddled with Jackeens
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic