Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=19768
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 6:50am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Irish economy
Posted By: Honey Monster
Subject: The Irish economy
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 8:19pm
One story i read on RTE.e says stats from the first 3 months of the year show we're coming out of the recession while another story on the site says that the unemployement rate has increased.

Tell me, do yous think things back home are getting better, still the same or even getting worse?

Replies:
Posted By: bannedscientist
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 8:32pm
worse!

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:08am
Not anything like good news..........as stated, unemployment will continue to rise, and if/when Eurozone slips back into recession, things will continue to get worse..........no light at the end of this long tunnel yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10460207.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10460207.stm

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:13am

Nothing beats positive morning posts .

I do think things are picking up as last year was bitter thou.

As always keep an eye on the States .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: samscafe
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:25am
The global economy will grow by 9%-12% driven mainly by output from China and India. If you want to grow you need to be able to hang on to these guys and get exporting.

-------------
Certain mods are complete wankstains

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:15am
the fall in the Euro has and will continue to help our exports as we export a lot to the UK and the States. This should continue to improve things but by no means out of the sh1t yet.. 

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:25am

ireland is far from out of the sh1t, but this is still a great sign

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:51am
Alot of propaganda driven by journos/economists under the thumb of Fianna Fail. We are f**ked for the next decade.

On a lighter note anyone for tennis?

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 4:02am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Alot of propaganda driven by journos/economists under the thumb of Fianna Fail. We are f**ked for the next decade.

Exactly.
How can these fools say we are coming out of recession when those idiots couldnt even predict the recession in the first place and most denied it was happening for 6/9 months.
Idiots.

-------------
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex

Posted By: Chopper 76
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 4:31am
out of recession my arse what a load of Fianna Failed propaganda crap, were fecked for the foreseeable future, I cant wait to see them ****s out of government.Angry

Posted By: FiremanDan
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 4:55am
The recent growth was almost exclusively down to exports driven by foreign companies who also export their profits so I believe that when adjusted the economy actually shrank by a very small amount in that time. So I feel it's a false dawn.

I'm not an economist but in my simplistic take on this we have been totally hamstrung by the banks in my opinion. If they had behaved prudently I reckon we would have gotten the "soft landing" some were hoping for. Nobody denies a corporate body being ambitious and driven by profit but these guys were careless. If we were not now bankrolling these banks the economy would be in far better shape and there would be more money for the indigenous industries to borrow and to expand which is where the economy will truly thrive. Relying on non-national companies to drive the economy is false as they can (and will) pull out with no warning.

-------------
Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 5:41am
You're never coming back anyhow HM, so your thread doesn't really matter.

We're a long way from being outa the sh*t that's for sure.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 6:00am
Story on RTE.ie yesterday sayin somethin like 6000 added to the live register last month!!

-------------

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 6:00am
2 redundancies every 5 minutes last month apparently

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 7:30am
unemployment always lags behind a recovery, having said that not much light on the horizon for the next year or 2 imo

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 7:46am

To be honest HM, I have less in my pocket now than 6months ago and its only gonna get worse. I thought I was gonna get through recession with little impact but facing upto redundancies now in my place of work (you know which one !) and some new fookin property tax comin in and I only bought me gaff last year!!

We are not coming out of recession, couple of lads on this forum have only become unemployed in last few days aswell

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 7:57am
I find this report sickening, this country is a long way from being out of recession, i saw some dumb bitch on rte last night saying that her husband had gone from a three day week back to full time so everything was grand now,
as someone who has had to make 20 people redundant in the last few months i think the bubble heads who are running this country are so far removed form reality its shocking, the Dail has spent most of the week talking about the rights of animals and opposition parties using it as a political football just shows the weakness of the majority of policticans in this coutry.
I was only last night reading about this venture in Athlone to bring 10000 jobs to the area by providing a European hub for Chinese companies(link below). These are the things that should be headlines on our news and be discussed in the Dail  not weather its ok to chase bambi around the country side.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/welcome-to-lovely-athlone-the-bustling-new-beijingonshannon-2229548.html - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/welcome-to-lovely-athlone-the-bustling-new-beijingonshannon-2229548.html

rant over

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:01am
Its not going to happen Deise why would the chinks pick a priest infested backwater on the edge of europe to have a HQ ? it will go to somewhere more central in Europe.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Chopper 76 Chopper 76 wrote:

Its not going to happen Deise why would the chinks pick a priest infested backwater on the edge of europe to have a HQ ? it will go to somewhere more central in Europe.

thats the attitude to have chopper we need more people with your positivity in this country, is obvious that you have a drive for good ideas and putting our country out there, maybe you should get a job working for the IDA or Discover Ireland,

ya bellendConfused

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 12:34pm
Fdi is not what we need deise they can pull the plug when they feel like it. Do you not think it would be better if there was more effort in supporting small / medium enterprises than encouraging the chinks to set up shop? I thought we would be too expensive to do business in conpared to east europe ? Oh i wouldn't mind working for IDA do they finish at 5?

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:33pm

well especially not if people refer to them as chinks......

we have the lowest corporation tax in europe which makes ireland still attractive for foreign investment, and the cost base is decreasing. so i dont see why we wouldnt be considered. plus as always, the fact we speak english as a native language is a big advantage, with a relatively high level of education all round

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

well especially not if people refer to them as chinks......

we have the lowest corporation tax in europe which makes ireland still attractive for foreign investment, and the cost base is decreasing. so i dont see why we wouldnt be considered. plus as always, the fact we speak english as a native language is a big advantage, with a relatively high level of education all round

I think this forum disproves that factLOL

-------------

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:35pm
exports and primary/secondary industries will create new wealth, services just pass the same money around.

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Shoco
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:35pm
the unemployment increase may be due to students finishing college as opposed to people losing their jobs?

-------------

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

the unemployment increase may be due to students finishing college as opposed to people losing their jobs?

Very true Shoco, seasonal unemployment I believe is the name…..i did economics for the Leaving!

So, things at the moment seem pretty much the same; ie muck BUT there may be some light at the end of the tunnel soon please god. Interesting.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 2:50am
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0702/insolvency.html - http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0702/insolvency.html

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:52pm
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/financial-services/no-desks-no-staff-no-tax-ireland-s-shadow-banks-1.1388923" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/financial-services/no-desks-no-staff-no-tax-ireland-s-shadow-banks-1.1388923

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 13 May 2013 at 5:26pm
Read that at the weekend.  The debate on whether we should be considered a tax haven was interesting. 

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: David McWilliams
Date Posted: 13 May 2013 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

I find this report sickening, this country is a long way from being out of recession, i saw some dumb bitch on rte last night saying that her husband had gone from a three day week back to full time so everything was grand now,
as someone who has had to make 20 people redundant in the last few months i think the bubble heads who are running this country are so far removed form reality its shocking, the Dail has spent most of the week talking about the rights of animals and opposition parties using it as a political football just shows the weakness of the majority of policticans in this coutry.
I was only last night reading about this venture in Athlone to bring 10000 jobs to the area by providing a European hub for Chinese companies(link below). These are the things that should be headlines on our news and be discussed in the Dail  not weather its ok to chase bambi around the country side.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/welcome-to-lovely-athlone-the-bustling-new-beijingonshannon-2229548.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/welcome-to-lovely-athlone-the-bustling-new-beijingonshannon-2229548.html

rant over

Ah jaysus what ever happened to this?

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 13 May 2013 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by David McWilliams David McWilliams wrote:

Originally posted by deisedevil deisedevil wrote:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/welcome-to-lovely-athlone-the-bustling-new-beijingonshannon-2229548.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/welcome-to-lovely-athlone-the-bustling-new-beijingonshannon-2229548.html

rant over

Ah jaysus what ever happened to this?
construction supposed to begin next year I think

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 13 May 2013 at 9:12pm
Its by no means a certainty to happen. They had a really positive meeting about it last month in China. They were trying to sell this to the major companies to invest in. Its decision time now for those companies. We'll soon see.

Date Posted: 20 May 2013 at 8:36pm
Piece on prime time tonight about Ireland being a tax haven

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Piece on prime time tonight about Ireland being a tax haven
It is with regard to Corporation Tax and Business. The EU and the G8 want it to change, a rake of jobs rely on us being a haven though.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 12:05pm
According to latest data we are "officially" back in a recession.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 12:07pm

According to latest data we are "officially" back in a recession.

balls Cry

-------------

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 12:46pm
Didn't even know we left the last one.
So is that 3 recessions in 5 years?

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 1:01pm
So is this what they call a "triple" dip recession?

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

i think we are going for the record held by mexico

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 1:18pm
GDP is down but GNP is up. I suppose GNP is a better indicator for Ireland. I wonder are all the MNC not shipping out their profits in the last quarter?

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 2:51pm
They'll have to give that tax cut to get more spending.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Yeah the term recession is a technical economic term but gets bandied about by the media and the general public to describe a time when people feel poorer than they did previously.  High unemployment, slow growth etc.  

However technically countries are not in recession for that every long usually.  We came out of it pretty quickly in relative terms but the cuts in the budget and increases to tax mean the technical aspects of it mean very little to the people on the streets. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Or spend more themselves on infrastructural projects that are badly needed. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Or spend more themselves on infrastructural projects that are badly needed. 

That's what the UK Government have announced this week, however they also announced savage cuts to the various departments.

Interesting to see if we'll follow suit to kick start the economy.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Gary McKay
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 4:04pm
We the people are to blame for this one.
Spending money willy nilly during the recent sunny spell.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 9:13pm

Didn't see the need for a new thread. China's economic growth slowed down again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23310975" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23310975

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 6:58am

Didn't see the need for a new thread. China's economic growth slowed down again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23310975" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23310975

Yep, and this has and continue to have a massive knock on effect on the Oz economy. Exchange rate going to sh1t as well as result of this and the US economy. It’s time to come home for good at Chrimbo me thinks!

Sure we’re grand now aren’t we? More job and more sun ClapClapClap

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Yep, and this has and continue to have a massive knock on
effect on the Oz economy. Exchange rate going to sh1t as well as result of this
and the US economy. It’s time to come home for good at Chrimbo me thinks!

Sure we’re grand now aren’t we? More job and more sun Clap<o:p>

I've always said it, there's space out there for those that want to sunbathe. It's the ****s sittin at home givin out that it's too hot that have this country on its knees.

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Yep, and this has and continue to have a massive knock on effect on the Oz economy. Exchange rate going to sh1t as well as result of this and the US economy. It’s time to come home for good at Chrimbo me thinks!

Sure we’re grand now aren’t we? More job and more sun ClapClapClap

Havent looked at the exchange rate in ages. Still have a bank account open over the with a fair bit of coin in it. Fookin gutted Cry

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:54am

What most countries would give for 7.5% growth

Posted By: EastStandMan
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:42am
Max Keiser has a thrice weekly show on RT and gives a good account of the world economy . Been talking of late re our problems over here in pixi land . Seems genuinely surprised we are not tearing up the place cos of the banksters . A guest of his on last week was saying re aib and their 20 billion shortfall which will ensure we will need another bail out . One huge global organised rip off which makes the mafia look like kiddies stealing an ice pop .

-------------
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 12:29pm
The Recession Is over

Party Time

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm
Cocaine and hookers for everyone Tongue

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm
We'll all be rich, rich as nazi's i tell ye

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 12:57pm
I'm coming home!

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 1:16pm
That did not last long 6 months or 2 quarters.  Only 0.4 of growth.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I'm coming home!

+  1  Big smile

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:04pm
Heading out foreign right now, think I might buy a few apartments when I'm there. Can't wait to start applying for Credit Cards and receiving pre approved loan letters againClap

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:06pm
Guess Who's back?

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:08pm
Can't get a bouncy castle for love nor money. Feel terrible letting my little one down, after all she did get 6 out of 10 in her spelling test.

Surely she's entitled to a bouncy castle for the weekend after her marvellous achievement.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Can't get a bouncy castle for love nor money. Feel terrible letting my little one down, after all she did get 6 out of 10 in her spelling test.

Surely she's entitled to a bouncy castle for the weekend after her marvellous achievement.

She is surely but would the shopping trip to New York not do the job. No?

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

She is surely but would the shopping trip to New York not do the job. No?
Going to get my first haircut in over 10 years this evening. No more DIY trimming for $ham157Clap

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:23pm

CH......get a pre approved loan and buy a factory that makes the Bouncy Castles

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:26pm
Its Party Time

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:31pm
I wonder how bad the country would be if the 500,000 people (or whatever the crazily high figure for people that left) were still here. No doubt the governemnt will be milking this for all it's worth.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:32pm
ps. no more bags of glue for me it's cocaine time againCool

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I wonder how bad the country would be if the 500,000 people (or whatever the crazily high figure for people that left) were still here. No doubt the governemnt will be milking this for all it's worth.

The country would have sunk. The sad thing is the government needed those people to emigrate.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:48pm
"Morgan, turn on the heating.............."

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:53pm
Sorted the Bouncy Castle problem - Instead i'm going to throw her a pamper party for her and 20 of her friends. Oh managed to get my hands on a pair of ID tickets as well, only a grand on ebay. They'll do for pass the parcel prizes.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 3:55pm

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 6:52pm

Ooh Cabra....

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 7:19pm
Great news for the Dubs, another 4 years or so should do the trick around these parts. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 7:30pm
Now the "Tiger" has returned can someone rent an aircraft and pick me up from Scumtown Airport on 10th October... should the German Air Traffic strike go ahead?...... oh and make sure there is a rake of beer on board too
Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Now the "Tiger" has returned can someone rent an aircraft and pick me up from Scumtown Airport on 10th October... should the German Air Traffic strike go ahead?...... oh and make sure there is a rake of beer on board too
Thanks

No

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 8:01am
Wiping our ar5es with 5 euro notes again.....Perfect time to be coming back home so ClapClapClapClapClapClap 

-------------

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 8:35am
Sounds great lads....does this mean everyone loves AIB again and no one is listening to mcwilliams and FF are on rise?

Deffo out of rcession then

On a serious note wait for da great news of a potential Double Dip!!!

For those who are not economists, Qman can explain this to ye all.He will no doubt supply a picture that speaks a thousand words!!!! Lol

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 8:41am
would be triple dip at this stage windy as we only went back into recession late last year. Even quey would struggle with a triple dip

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 8:04pm
Merkel set to lead Germany on her own, no coalition partner. 

-------------

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 8:09pm

We should get the 3 points in this 1 so

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

We should get the 3 points in this 1 so
I wouldn't bank on it

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 8:50pm
Has Merkel passed the "Enabling Act"?? Adolf's granddaughter doing him proud.

-------------

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 8:57pm
Is she not meant to be his daughter TJ?

As per the conspiracy theory - frozen sperm etc.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Posted By: eire77
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

does this mean everyone loves AIB again and no one is listening to mcwilliams and FF are on the rise?

Not sure about the first one but the second two are definitely true.

-------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 12:20pm
http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/families-in-ireland-pay-almost-zero-tax-oecd-31144192.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/families-in-ireland-pay-almost-zero-tax-oecd-31144192.html

Posted By: BrenC
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2015 at 12:39pm

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/families-in-ireland-pay-almost-zero-tax-oecd-31144192.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/families-in-ireland-pay-almost-zero-tax-oecd-31144192.html

Have had a look through the full OECD report for work - it basically shows that on average wage (circa €38k), if you have two kids, you pay very little tax compared to other countries when you net off child benefit. 

Big difference is that in most of the other OECD countries, the tax people on average wage pay is mostly social security which pays for a lot more benefits (e.g. free or subsidised childcare etc).  I think most people in that category would happily switch places and pay more tax in exchange for these better social services. 

The report only looks at income up to 167% the average wage (so under €60k).  It does suggest the "squeezed middle" aren't quite as squeezed as in other countries - but again the "tax" in those countries typically buys ye a lot more benefits. 

What the report doesn't show is people on 3 or 4 times average wage (e.g. €100k plus), actually pay a lot more tax here than in most other OECD countries - only Sweden taxes people on €100k plus more than we do.  Which I think most people will agree is a good thing - but a reality that probably isn't full recognised. 

-------------
Team Emmet

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 10:45am
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/those-on-lowest-incomes-suffered-most-in-the-recession-1.2186880" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/those-on-lowest-incomes-suffered-most-in-the-recession-1.2186880

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 4:07pm
http://ucc.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=0e25c2b9-b52c-84a7-1b13-381d640a29aa" rel="nofollow - http://ucc.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=0e25c2b9-b52c-84a7-1b13-381d640a29aa
Would recommend people have a listen to these talks if they get the chance. No jargon in them either.

Also if you're from Cork to come along to the next ones.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:11pm

Over 10% increase in new Irish startups

Print

There was a significant increase in the number of new Irish companies created in the first quarter of 2017.

According to new Vision-net figures, 10.3% more Irish startups entered the fray compared to the same three months last year.

The company-search and credit-risk analyst revealed that 12,626 new businesses were incorporated in the country during the period.

While the majority of sectors saw rising activity, professional services fared best in sheer numbers with 1,183 new companies coming on stream, an 8% improvement on 2016.

Farming saw the biggest percentage boost, with 45% more new businesses created than last year. Increases were also seen in finance (23%), transport (9%) and social services (10%).

Dublin led the charge, with the capital welcoming 2,501 new incorporations.

Cork, Galway, Meath and Kildare made up the rest of the top five. Of these, Cork was the one county to see a drop in new registrations. A 17% fall meant there were 114 fewer new Cork-based startups than in the first three months of 2016.

The strong start to the year seems to only be accelerating when you look at the latest monthly figures.

March enjoyed the second-highest monthly rate of business startups since 2007, with 2,014 companies registered last month.

Vision-net.ie managing director Christine Cullen said of the results:

"Figures from the first quarter of the year suggest the Irish economy will continue down a path of steady if slightly uneven growth into 2017. Traditionally strong sectors such as finance, agriculture and professional services have experienced encouraging levels of growth and the ongoing revival of the construction industry has been well documented in the media.

"Overall, the rise in the number of startups this year compared to last year is very encouraging."

However, while more and more new players are setting up shop, the number of failing businesses was also up.

There were 306 business insolvencies, representing a 22% increase on the same period in 2016. These comprised 155 liquidations, 143 receiverships and eight examinerships.

Cullen also signalled a potential problem with the disproportionate amount of activity in Dublin compared to the rest of the country:

“Dublin still accounts for 43% of new companies registered in Ireland. This suggests a continued over-reliance on the Capital and an urgent need, on the part of Government and policy makers, to develop greater economic stimulus in rural areas of the country."

The 2017 flurry of activity comes off the back of a strong 2016 that saw the number of new startups surpass 20,000 for the first time in nearly two decades.

Vision-net.ie figures showed that 20,997 companies were registered in 2016, an 8% increase on 2015 and the biggest year of activity since 1998. It was also the second highest number recorded in 36 years.

Professional services was the most popular industry, with over 4,000 firms established. The finance sector was second with 2,959, and it boasted the biggest percentage boost in new blood, with activity 44% higher than in 2015.

The number of new firms getting down to business in Dublin was up a massive 45.5%, far above second-placed Cork, which saw a 12% increase. The difference elsewhere around the country was much more marginal.

At the same time, there was a 10% decrease in insolvencies.

Craig Fitzpatrick, Newstalk.com 

-------------

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:24pm

Regarding adding stimulus to rural parts of the economy, here's the MC Hammered economic strategic plan for 2017-2030. 

A large scale public construction project for the Athlone/Mullingar area involving relocation of all government departments and agencies currently in Dublin that CAN be moved there. This will free up much needed office and housing units in Dublin and provide a huge boost to the midlands area in terms of employment and spin off services. An improved road network getting to this centre of public administration would also be a shot in the arm for the construction sector and would make it an attractive place logistically for rural workers, particularly in the West, to get to. 

How come Ireland was able to take on massive public housing projects in the 1930's - 1950's when we didnt have a collective pot to piss in and now we can't provide basic housing solutions for our populous?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:27pm
Because we have a bunch of morons running the show atm.

-------------

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Because we have a bunch of morons running the show atm.
I think morons is harsh, I think that a few of them are quite cunning, unfortunately they are solely interested in themselves and the jobs they will get from Europe in a few years time.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:37pm
T'would because back in those sepia days the local authorities employed people to build numerous housing developments, houses which were rented to tenants. The houses were built not for profit but to house the population. Imagine such wistful notions.
The government will not do that nowadays. Too many vested interests have to get a cut out of the property cake. Land Owners, Estate Agents, Banks, Surveyors, Architects, Builders, Electricians, Mortgage Brokers, Solicitors et all.
The country exists on protectionism....

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:44pm

T'would because back in those sepia days the local authorities employed people to build numerous housing developments, houses which were rented to tenants. The houses were built not for profit but to house the population. Imagine such wistful notions.
The government will not do that nowadays. Too many vested interests have to get a cut out of the property cake. Land Owners, Estate Agents, Banks, Surveyors, Architects, Builders, Electricians, Mortgage Brokers, Solicitors et all.

What if MC Hammered led a revolt and overthrew the government and then replaced them with folk prepared to carry out my strategic vision for the country? Could I rely on the YBIG lobby backing my efforts to seize power? If I have your backing, I will also disband the FAI and implement Newryreps ticketing plan.

Two small details. 

1) It will be a one party state with no elections
2) My cabinet will be based in the Midlands but I'm personally not going there except on short trips for business

-------------
El Puto Amo

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

What if MC Hammered led a revolt and overthrew the government and then replaced them with folk prepared to carry out my strategic vision for the country? Could I rely on the YBIG lobby backing my efforts to seize power? If I have your backing, I will also disband the FAI and implement Newryreps ticketing plan.

Two small details. 

1) It will be a one state party with no elections
2) My cabinet will be based in the Midlands but I'm personally not going there except on short trips for business

October 1917 or October 2017 ?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Regarding adding stimulus to rural parts of the economy, here's the MC Hammered economic strategic plan for 2017-2030. 

A large scale public construction project for the Athlone/Mullingar area involving relocation of all government departments and agencies currently in Dublin that CAN be moved there. This will free up much needed office and housing units in Dublin and provide a huge boost to the midlands area in terms of employment and spin off services. An improved road network getting to this centre of public administration would also be a shot in the arm for the construction sector and would make it an attractive place logistically for rural workers, particularly in the West, to get to. 

How come Ireland was able to take on massive public housing projects in the 1930's - 1950's when we didnt have a collective pot to piss in and now we can't provide basic housing solutions for our populous?

Remember there was talk of a big Chinese backed project - I think it was meant for Tipperary..must dig that out, wonder what happened to it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:42pm
Fora have the same idea...

http://fora.ie/athlone-china-trading-hub-3122866-Dec2016/" rel="nofollow - https://fora.ie/athlone-china-trading-hub-3122866-Dec2016/

There was talk of a super casino in Tipperary..still might be done but on a smaller scale

http://fora.ie/tipperary-casino-two-mile-borris-quirke-3127800-Jan2017/" rel="nofollow - https://fora.ie/tipperary-casino-two-mile-borris-quirke-3127800-Jan2017/

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:43pm

Was that for a huge casino Hoskins? I'm not sure we need more betting establishments in this country.

We just should get ahead of the curve and legalise drugs and nationalize the industry before everyone else does. What's the point in making the gangs rich and endangering users by enforcing prohibition?

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:52pm
What's the craic? Crack! Brought to you by the the Irish National Narcotics Corporation.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:11pm
I like the sports complex part of the Casino idea but not a super casino. The article explains the new laws that make it more difficult 

-------------

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:18pm
Tipperary the Vegas of Ireland

Posted By: deiseblue
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:26pm
Good news for Waterford , a Saudi investment group are ploughing €300 million into the city - particularly Michael St. & the north quays.
Particularly good news as the South East has the worst unemployment figures in the State.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net