You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

iv never understood this guy's popularity...people must have very short memories..he did a very bad job with some great players at his disposale

Would these be the same 'great' players that lost the first two matches of the Euro 2004 qualifiers under Mick and then went on to have a calamitous Euro 2008 qualifying campaign under Stan? LOL

Kerr's team did okay to take the 2004 campaign to the last game of the qualifiers having lost the first two matches when Mick was in charge.

The 2006 campaign saw an incredibly tight group where the four main competing nations (ourselves, Israel, France and Switzerland) drew all of the matches against each other with the exception of our 1-0 home loss to France when Henry produced a bit of brilliance to win it.

The low point was definitely the two Israel games where we failed to hold on to a lead in both fixtures. To say, however, that he did a ''very bad job'' with a team of alleged world beaters is just f*cking laughable. He was pretty conservative in his approach and did a passable job but definitely fell short of the hopes and expectations that many of us had for him when he was appointed.

and there you go pepper67... people jump down your throat if you sl*g him off....so mick got no points form the siwss/rus game... the great brian kerr got 1 point......so he didn't do much better, and as you say his team lost two leads v isreal , how many wins did he get in his two  campaigns, so maybe that laughable
Come on Irelind
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:33am
I have a lot of time for Kerr and he is one of the few pundits I will pay close attention to. I remember going to UCD games as a nipper and you'd see him most times. The chap just loves football.

His Ireland tenure isn't remembered too fondly but I think he was very unlucky to be fair. As pointed out above he nearly rescued the 2004 Euro qualifying campaign after inheriting a start that should have meant game off. That last game at home to the Swiss was desperately disappointing but he nearly completed a fine turnaround.

The 2006 campaign was really where you saw how unlucky he was as Ireland manager however. We were the best team in the group without question - however clinching defeat from the jaws of victory on both occasions against Israel f*cked us. And then three of France's best players coming out of retirement to give them that killer edge in the 1-0 win over us. He'll probably be most remembered for displaying uber conservatism in the home game against Israel for bringing on Graeme Kavanagh for the injured Keane when we were 2-0 up but even with that he was so unlucky that the team folded in the manner it did.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:45am
Unlucky 3 times in one paragraph. He must have been really unlucky. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:47am
Expecting him to tow the party line is bullsh*t Muff. He calls it as he sees it, and he truly has Irish football at heart. He lives Irish football.

He's also one of the best pundits we have (but even as a dub his accent grates with me occasionally )

A lot of fans won't pay to watch performances like the Austria one, I'm personally delighted I didn't pay to watch that sh*te, it doesn't mean we still don't want the best for our national team

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Unlucky 3 times in one paragraph. He must have been really unlucky. 

Go easy on me I'm desperately hungover. LOL
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:54am
We should have beaten France in Paris that campaign, the 0-0 draw. That was one of the best Irish performances against one of the world super powers but it's rarley spoken about. Killer had a superb game in the middle of the park with Keane and JO'S missed an absolute sitter
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

We should have beaten France in Paris that campaign, the 0-0 draw. That was one of the best Irish performances against one of the world super powers but it's rarley spoken about. Killer had a superb game in the middle of the park with Keane and JO'S missed an absolute sitter

Yeah like I said we were comfortably the best team in that group. Probably should have won that game and definitely should have won both the games against Israel. We should have been out of sight by the time the French arrived in Dublin to spoil the party.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I have a lot of time for Kerr and he is one of the few pundits I will pay close attention to. I remember going to UCD games as a nipper and you'd see him most times. The chap just loves football.

His Ireland tenure isn't remembered too fondly but I think he was very unlucky to be fair. As pointed out above he nearly rescued the 2004 Euro qualifying campaign after inheriting a start that should have meant game off. That last game at home to the Swiss was desperately disappointing but he nearly completed a fine turnaround.

The 2006 campaign was really where you saw how unlucky he was as Ireland manager however. We were the best team in the group without question - however clinching defeat from the jaws of victory on both occasions against Israel f*cked us. And then three of France's best players coming out of retirement to give them that killer edge in the 1-0 win over us. He'll probably be most remembered for displaying uber conservatism in the home game against Israel for bringing on Graeme Kavanagh for the injured Keane when we were 2-0 up but even with that he was so unlucky that the team folded in the manner it did.
the final game for 2004 was away to Switzerland in awinner takes all game for straight qualification iirc

The final game for 2006 was a home draw which would have brought a play off place with a win

Edited by Saint Tom - 23 Jun 2017 at 12:34pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Expecting him to tow the party line is bullsh*t Muff. He calls it as he sees it, and he truly has Irish football at heart. He lives Irish football.

He's also one of the best pundits we have (but even as a dub his accent grates with me occasionally )

A lot of fans won't pay to watch performances like the Austria one, I'm personally delighted I didn't pay to watch that sh*te, it doesn't mean we still don't want the best for our national team

With both of his parents being from Belfast you'd think growing up hearing two nordie accents constantly would have had some impact on his own, but no he ended up with that prize winning Dub accent. Smile

As regards his world cup qualifying campaign, it was definitely one of the oddest groups we were even in with as someone said earlier all four teams drawing every match between them apart from the Ireland V France match at the end.I agree he had much better players than we have now and the group was there for the taking if he'd been a bit braver. The ultra cautious Robbie Keane  injury replacement when 2-0 up at home to Israel seemed to sum up his whole tenure.

He deserved a final campaign to show if he'd learnt from his mistakes.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Ive mixed feelings for Kerr, was a big fan of him until I met him... Such an arrogant man and still bitter about the how he was treated as senior manager.

From a football point of view, I agree with 99% what he has to say. Theres no doubt he knows his ball inside out, great dept of knowledge of the game.. the dogs on the street know it..

But its comments like I wouldn't pay to see Ireland after the Austria game and when I met him he was saying to our group he was only there for the pay day.. couldn't give a fiddlers about the ball or team that annoyed me.

That'd be the complete opposite of how I have found him to be any time I have met him. I've met him a number of times and he's always been very approachable and more than willing to talk football - especially, as MC Hammered mentioned, LOI.
I'd be the same...approached him with the Harps jersey on in Moldova and he was more than happy to chat all things LOI...The main thing I took from the chat though was how much he hated Zimbru, as they had knocked Pats out of Europe at one stage!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:37pm
A real straight shooter.

Deserved better treatment and its' a travesty he's not involved in Irish football; no doubt about it, because he is a straight talker and wouldnt put up with the fai cronyism. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I've always been a big fan of Kerr. I thought he was 100 % correct in his assessment of the Austria game. Just because he had a few shortcomings as Ireland manager doesn't mean he can't criticise the current regime. 

He made an awful decision bringing on Graham Kavanagh for Robbie Keane when we were 2-0 up against Israel which cost us. We also went too defensive against Israel away when holding on to a 1 goal lead. We really should have qualified for 2006.

Totally agree with this. Should have brought Stephen Elliott on a s straight swap for Robbie. Instead he totally disorganised the team by making unnecessary positional changes. I'm sure he knows himself that his terrible decision cost him in the long run.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

A real straight shooter.

Deserved better treatment and its' a travesty he's not involved in Irish football; no doubt about it, because he is a straight talker and wouldnt put up with the fai cronyism. 

He brought Roy back into the fold which didn't go down well with the ballad singer....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:56pm
Kerr is entitled to his opinion and it is hard to disagree with what he said.  We were complete muck for the vast majority of the Austrian match and indeed we haven't put in a good performance at home since probably the Bosnia game.  

He is calling it as he sees it which is fair game.  Just because he is an ex manager does not mean he should not criticise the current regime (when warranted).  

As for Kerr the manager i thought he was decent for us.  obviously took over the reigns at a difficult time and somewhat steadied the ship.  His lack of experience at top level management showed and he proved to be somewhat naive over time making clearly incorrect calls at big stages in games.  We really should've qualified for Germany in 2006 and that was certainly a tournament that got away from us.  We were tactically inept in a number of games in that qualifying campaign.  IMO if Trap or MoN had've been in charge for that campaign we'd have been in the WC.
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

A real straight shooter.

He brought Roy back into the fold which didn't go down well with the ballad singer....

From what I remember that was the main point of the job description. 1st things 1st, get Roy back
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
Have alot of time for him. Thought We played the best football under him in terms of structure and methods of attack. Think the pressure got to him in the end which was his downfall.

Rarely find fault in what he says although he did come across very bitter about Trap, the thing was He was right, Trap shouldve been going to games. Defo should have got another campaign if it was as it turned out Stan was gonna be his replacement. Went on to Prove the FAI wrong by getting some noteable results with the Faroes. Still surprised He never landed a job afterwards in England.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm
His decisions in both games against Israel and the final game against Switzerland were his undoing. With the players he had, fourth was a very poor outcome. The Graham Kavenagh decision will always be a major blot.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I've always been a big fan of Kerr. I thought he was 100 % correct in his assessment of the Austria game. Just because he had a few shortcomings as Ireland manager doesn't mean he can't criticise the current regime. 

He made an awful decision bringing on Graham Kavanagh for Robbie Keane when we were 2-0 up against Israel which cost us. We also went too defensive against Israel away when holding on to a 1 goal lead. We really should have qualified for 2006.

Totally agree with this. Should have brought Stephen Elliott on a s straight swap for Robbie. Instead he totally disorganised the team by making unnecessary positional changes. I'm sure he knows himself that his terrible decision cost him in the long run.

Kerr was a fairly negative manager but in that game he was just unlucky. My memory of the match is that we still continued to create chances after Kavanagh came on. It's not as though we stopped making goal scoring opportunities as a result of the substitution. Sure one of their goals was a bullet header to the top corner from about 15 yards ffs! It just wasn't our day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic