Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=18712
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Brian Kerr
Posted By: RogerMilla
Subject: Brian Kerr
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:10am
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0527/1224271228932.html - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0527/1224271228932.html

will deffo go and see the game here next week

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Replies:
Posted By: criostoir Óg
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:12am
Luxembourg v Faroe Islands

Has 'classic' written all over it Thumbs%20Up

-------------
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:16am
Sounds like he can barely bring himself to watch an Irish game these days.  Sad considering his success with underage level in the past.  Still a role for him in that set up but unlikely he would return.

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Críostóir Óg Críostóir Óg wrote:

Luxembourg v Faroe Islands

Has 'classic' written all over it Thumbs%20Up

if there is a market on betfair then i might have alook at the 3-3 ..

luxembourg azerbaijan was decent CO..

i wrote about it here..
http://www.ybig.ie/in-defence-of-international-football,-part-i.1.41.blog.html - http://www.ybig.ie/in-defence-of-international-football,-part-i.1.41.blog.html

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:25am
we getting abus together to support the faroes when they play the pub team in belfast?how we go about getting tickets for the away end?

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 8:02am
Great idea qman. Would be on for that, always liked Kerr.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: gspain
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:47am
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

we getting abus together to support the faroes when they play the pub team in belfast?how we go about getting tickets for the away end?

Ask Brian or Johnny Mc.

One of my mates knows him and has a request in already.

However we may have a game that night as it's a friendly date. 
Faroes FA is the other option.

Posted By: irelandfan
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:08pm
http://english.pnn.ps/index.php/international/8452-brian-kerr-launches-gaza-kids-to-ireland-football-initiative

I think this is a great initiative by Brian. 

-------------
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 7:43pm
Great initiative alright, pity the trip doesn't include Derry but Gaza movement up here. Derry to Gaza travels with the Antrim convoy each year.

Would love to see more things like this. Fair play to Brian

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 8:42pm
Brian Kerr. True giant

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: Madferret
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 12:56am
G'wan Snotser Clap

Posted By: Clonbhoy
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 3:25am
Love that one, they have Ryan to a tee. What a prick that man was.

-------------
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends. @withgodlygrace

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 9:53pm
Has just said "mill a fella ourroveh" on 3e"

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

He's a f**king disgrace to commentating, how can TV3 actually pay him like

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Most knowledgeable pundit out there IMO....People either love him or hate him though

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Most knowledgeable pundit out there IMO....People either love him or hate him though

Love the man and his punditry.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: depechemode
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:52pm
Love him a true dub and old school football fanatic , shafted by the fai

Posted By: winner alright
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:56pm
As a senior international manager he was a shambles, good pundit at times.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:59pm
Great pundit and great football man

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 10:59pm
Great pundit. Was top notch during the WC

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:03pm
Good at analysing games but he just didnt have the reputation or respect from the players to be successful in international management.

His style of play was not easy on the eye though

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:05pm
He can talk a good game but that was all.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:08pm
When you think the FAI sacked him and JD promised us a world class manager and we got Stan instead   

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by winner alright winner alright wrote:

All??? hardly

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:11pm
Kerrs record actually is very good if you look back on it. He was way to conservative which let him down. The 2 games against Isreal ultimately killed him. Could have been so different if we won those games

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:27pm
Would have topped the group IIRC

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:29pm
Yep even a win in one of them would have put us in the playoffs. Was a Very tight group

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29" rel="nofollow - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:29pm
France at home, the lack of tactics & spirit against Switzerland.  Hoofball up to Doherty was the only clear tactic he had.

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:39pm
Great man. Lives breathes football. Scandalous that he is not involved at some level.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Doyler1993
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2015 at 11:56pm
Why has no loi club offered him a job in the last few years. Is it down to his wages he would want?

-------------
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:01am
I'd imagine he probably sees the Loi as something he's done.crediable manager in fairness...alright not pleasing on the eye style wise but should of got longer in charge and even more so when you think of the cabbage that followed him.think I'm right in saying he has the highest win percentage of any ireland manager,plus he did an unbelievable job with the Faroes...good laugh as a pundit to.

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by winner alright winner alright wrote:

100% WUM.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Why has no loi club offered him a job in the last few years. Is it down to his wages he would want?

With the Faroe Islands he was believed to be on around €200,000 a year.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 8:21am
One of the true greats

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: Devrozex
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 8:26am
[QUOTE=Denis Irwin]Yep even a win in one of them would have put us in the playoffs. Was a Very tight group

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29%5b/QUOTE" rel="nofollow - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)[/QUOTE ]

Yeah and on another day could so easily have won both. Last minute equalisier out of nowhere in Israel and then a scandalous display cheating by their keeper in the home leg. Replacing Robbie with Graham Kavanagh in the home match probably wasn't the wisest move, but he got incredibly unlucky in fairness.

He was shafted by Delaney either way - definitely earned another go at qualification, especially considering who came in after him. Ouch

As for punditry, was easily the best co-commentator in the WC.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 9:12am
Bitter, bitter man.
Loves his gargle and loves his fluff.

Shambles of a manager for Ireland when you look at the quality he had at his disposal.
Given his knowledge, experience and dedicated to Irish football, the bigger shambles is him not being involved in Irish football.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: reddladd
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 9:38am
Two games stand out for me when Kerr was in charge. The away game against Israel and Switzerland at home. We scored early against Israel and sat back and let them come at us. As far as I can remember after we scored(which was early in the game) thenext shot we had on target was after they equalised in the dying minutes.
Israel at home was just one of those games, similar to Liechtenstein, where we just couldn't get the goal needed to win the game.
Switzerland was a disaster of a game where a win would have given us a play off spot and yet we played like we didn't want to lose as opposed to going for the win. A borefest of 90 minutes with barely a shot on target the whole game.
As someone once said Kerr was a great friendly manager as we won far more friendly than competitive games when he was manager. 

-------------
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 11:21am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Israel at home was just one of those games, similar to Liechtenstein, where we just couldn't get the goal needed to win the game.

Nah. We were 2-0 up when Robbie got injured and Kerr replaces him with a defensive midfielder (Kavo) that was our undoing that day...
Had we'd stayed at them we probably would've won this game by a hatful.

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 9:21am

Good piece I think the journo has a point when you think of what Brian Kerr achieved at Youth level in the past. I know we had better players then but the FAI should be looking to sort the Youths s

http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/kerrs-absence-is-a-sporting-scandal&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ei=Y66PVfuWKLKy7Qaci5e4Dg&ved=0CBQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNE_s0pblJAG42uuJ_UDyNSeYF4ijw" rel="nofollow - Kerr's absence is a sporting scandal - The Irish Post
www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/kerrs-absence-is-a-sporting-scandal
‎

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 8:54am
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/843847605?-36604:24057:0" rel="nofollow - Brian Kerr calls FAI €5,000 grant to clubs ‘pittance’

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 10:29am

http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/brian-kerr-lack-of-middle-class-a-worry-as-irish-seek-to-end-hoodoo-35209281.html&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjxiLPdgKPQAhVkOMAKHVqgA3wQqQIIFzAA&usg=AFQjCNFrBKhD2CjEoJf78-cMrgquB7nj6g" rel="nofollow - Brian Kerr: Lack of middle class a worry as Irish seek to end hoodoo

-

-------------

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 11:13am
Christ, I love Brian Kerr

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:56am
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/858496900?-36604:24057:0" rel="nofollow - Brian Kerr: Ireland in shipshape position as O'Neill finds his formation

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 6:44pm
I've great time for Kerr as a pundit and his work at underage levels but I do think it was desperately poor form of him as an ex-Ireland manager to criticize by saying he wouldn't pay to watch Ireland after the Austria performance.

It lacks humility and you'd think Ireland managers wouldn't stick the knife in on each other especially when Kerr himself wasn't a success. He was very negative in his approach.

It smells of bitterness and he should take a leaf out of O'Neill's book who praised Trappatoni when asked by journalists over the improved atmosphere long players since Trap left.

Obviously Kerr's entitled to his opinion but you'd think there'd be a bit of empathy for O'Neill.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 10:57pm
I would have no complaints over what he said after that performance against Austria. Its his opinion as you say, and I don't see why he cant call it up for what it was and give his genuine view on it. He's not obliged to be nice to O Neill and you can bet he wasn't the only one thinking that after seeing that muck.

Posted By: valo88
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:02am
Ive mixed feelings for Kerr, was a big fan of him until I met him... Such an arrogant man and still bitter about the how he was treated as senior manager.

From a football point of view, I agree with 99% what he has to say. Theres no doubt he knows his ball inside out, great dept of knowledge of the game.. the dogs on the street know it..

But its comments like I wouldn't pay to see Ireland after the Austria game and when I met him he was saying to our group he was only there for the pay day.. couldn't give a fiddlers about the ball or team that annoyed me.

Posted By: pepper67
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:13am
iv never understood this guy's popularity...people must have very short memories..he did a very bad job with some great players at his disposale

-------------
i can resist anything except temptation

Posted By: 1874eire
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:00am
Isnt his win percentage the highest after Jack? He was unlucky at times in some games during the 2006 WC qualifiers but his teams played awful football at a time when we had some decent players.

Posted By: MC Hammered
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 5:59am
Completely agree with Kerr. He gave credit where it was due (Italy and France games at the Euros) when we played good ball and offered criticism for when we've been poor. His job is to call it as he sees it, not to be a fan boy to the current regime and I say that as a supporter of MON.

I've met him plenty of times and found him to be sound. He's not fake and won't lay on the false charm but he always been keen for a chat about football especially LOI

-------------
El Puto Amo

Posted By: Butch
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 6:07am
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Ive mixed feelings for Kerr, was a big fan of him until I met him... Such an arrogant man and still bitter about the how he was treated as senior manager.

From a football point of view, I agree with 99% what he has to say. Theres no doubt he knows his ball inside out, great dept of knowledge of the game.. the dogs on the street know it..

But its comments like I wouldn't pay to see Ireland after the Austria game and when I met him he was saying to our group he was only there for the pay day.. couldn't give a fiddlers about the ball or team that annoyed me.

Well him saying that he was only there for the pay day is very much the problem with the FAI and click that it is . BK's problem is he isn't in the click and is on the outside now looking in

Posted By: lassassinblanc
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 7:38am
Know him well always comes across as a decent bloke.
He is just saying it as he sees it and you can't fault the man for his opinion.

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:09am

That'd be the complete opposite of how I have found him to be any time I have met him. I've met him a number of times and he's always been very approachable and more than willing to talk football - especially, as MC Hammered mentioned, LOI.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:23am
I've always been a big fan of Kerr. I thought he was 100 % correct in his assessment of the Austria game. Just because he had a few shortcomings as Ireland manager doesn't mean he can't criticise the current regime. 

He made an awful decision bringing on Graham Kavanagh for Robbie Keane when we were 2-0 up against Israel which cost us. We also went too defensive against Israel away when holding on to a 1 goal lead. We really should have qualified for 2006.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:24am
Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

iv never understood this guy's popularity...people must have very short memories..he did a very bad job with some great players at his disposale

Would these be the same 'great' players that lost the first two matches of the Euro 2004 qualifiers under Mick and then went on to have a calamitous Euro 2008 qualifying campaign under Stan? LOL

Kerr's team did okay to take the 2004 campaign to the last game of the qualifiers having lost the first two matches when Mick was in charge.

The 2006 campaign saw an incredibly tight group where the four main competing nations (ourselves, Israel, France and Switzerland) drew all of the matches against each other with the exception of our 1-0 home loss to France when Henry produced a bit of brilliance to win it.

The low point was definitely the two Israel games where we failed to hold on to a lead in both fixtures. To say, however, that he did a ''very bad job'' with a team of alleged world beaters is just f*cking laughable. He was pretty conservative in his approach and did a passable job but definitely fell short of the hopes and expectations that many of us had for him when he was appointed.

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Posted By: mandrake
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by tony grealish tony grealish wrote:

Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

Would these be the same 'great' players that lost the first two matches of the Euro 2004 qualifiers under Mick and then went on to have a calamitous Euro 2008 qualifying campaign under Stan? LOL

Kerr's team did okay to take the 2004 campaign to the last game of the qualifiers having lost the first two matches when Mick was in charge.

The 2006 campaign saw an incredibly tight group where the four main competing nations (ourselves, Israel, France and Switzerland) drew all of the matches against each other with the exception of our 1-0 home loss to France when Henry produced a bit of brilliance to win it.

The low point was definitely the two Israel games where we failed to hold on to a lead in both fixtures. To say, however, that he did a ''very bad job'' with a team of alleged world beaters is just f*cking laughable. He was pretty conservative in his approach and did a passable job but definitely fell short of the hopes and expectations that many of us had for him when he was appointed.

and there you go pepper67... people jump down your throat if you sl*g him off....so mick got no points form the siwss/rus game... the great brian kerr got 1 point......so he didn't do much better, and as you say his team lost two leads v isreal , how many wins did he get in his two  campaigns, so maybe that laughable

-------------
Come on Irelind

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:33am
I have a lot of time for Kerr and he is one of the few pundits I will pay close attention to. I remember going to UCD games as a nipper and you'd see him most times. The chap just loves football.

His Ireland tenure isn't remembered too fondly but I think he was very unlucky to be fair. As pointed out above he nearly rescued the 2004 Euro qualifying campaign after inheriting a start that should have meant game off. That last game at home to the Swiss was desperately disappointing but he nearly completed a fine turnaround.

The 2006 campaign was really where you saw how unlucky he was as Ireland manager however. We were the best team in the group without question - however clinching defeat from the jaws of victory on both occasions against Israel f*cked us. And then three of France's best players coming out of retirement to give them that killer edge in the 1-0 win over us. He'll probably be most remembered for displaying uber conservatism in the home game against Israel for bringing on Graeme Kavanagh for the injured Keane when we were 2-0 up but even with that he was so unlucky that the team folded in the manner it did.

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:45am
Unlucky 3 times in one paragraph. He must have been really unlucky. 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:47am
Expecting him to tow the party line is bullsh*t Muff. He calls it as he sees it, and he truly has Irish football at heart. He lives Irish football.

He's also one of the best pundits we have (but even as a dub his accent grates with me occasionally )

A lot of fans won't pay to watch performances like the Austria one, I'm personally delighted I didn't pay to watch that sh*te, it doesn't mean we still don't want the best for our national team

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:53am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Unlucky 3 times in one paragraph. He must have been really unlucky. 

Go easy on me I'm desperately hungover. LOL

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:54am
We should have beaten France in Paris that campaign, the 0-0 draw. That was one of the best Irish performances against one of the world super powers but it's rarley spoken about. Killer had a superb game in the middle of the park with Keane and JO'S missed an absolute sitter

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

We should have beaten France in Paris that campaign, the 0-0 draw. That was one of the best Irish performances against one of the world super powers but it's rarley spoken about. Killer had a superb game in the middle of the park with Keane and JO'S missed an absolute sitter

Yeah like I said we were comfortably the best team in that group. Probably should have won that game and definitely should have won both the games against Israel. We should have been out of sight by the time the French arrived in Dublin to spoil the party.

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I have a lot of time for Kerr and he is one of the few pundits I will pay close attention to. I remember going to UCD games as a nipper and you'd see him most times. The chap just loves football.

His Ireland tenure isn't remembered too fondly but I think he was very unlucky to be fair. As pointed out above he nearly rescued the 2004 Euro qualifying campaign after inheriting a start that should have meant game off. That last game at home to the Swiss was desperately disappointing but he nearly completed a fine turnaround.

The 2006 campaign was really where you saw how unlucky he was as Ireland manager however. We were the best team in the group without question - however clinching defeat from the jaws of victory on both occasions against Israel f*cked us. And then three of France's best players coming out of retirement to give them that killer edge in the 1-0 win over us. He'll probably be most remembered for displaying uber conservatism in the home game against Israel for bringing on Graeme Kavanagh for the injured Keane when we were 2-0 up but even with that he was so unlucky that the team folded in the manner it did.
the final game for 2004 was away to Switzerland in awinner takes all game for straight qualification iirc

The final game for 2006 was a home draw which would have brought a play off place with a win

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Expecting him to tow the party line is bullsh*t Muff. He calls it as he sees it, and he truly has Irish football at heart. He lives Irish football.

He's also one of the best pundits we have (but even as a dub his accent grates with me occasionally )

A lot of fans won't pay to watch performances like the Austria one, I'm personally delighted I didn't pay to watch that sh*te, it doesn't mean we still don't want the best for our national team

With both of his parents being from Belfast you'd think growing up hearing two nordie accents constantly would have had some impact on his own, but no he ended up with that prize winning Dub accent. Smile

As regards his world cup qualifying campaign, it was definitely one of the oddest groups we were even in with as someone said earlier all four teams drawing every match between them apart from the Ireland V France match at the end.I agree he had much better players than we have now and the group was there for the taking if he'd been a bit braver. The ultra cautious Robbie Keane  injury replacement when 2-0 up at home to Israel seemed to sum up his whole tenure.

He deserved a final campaign to show if he'd learnt from his mistakes.

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 12:59pm

That'd be the complete opposite of how I have found him to be any time I have met him. I've met him a number of times and he's always been very approachable and more than willing to talk football - especially, as MC Hammered mentioned, LOI.
I'd be the same...approached him with the Harps jersey on in Moldova and he was more than happy to chat all things LOI...The main thing I took from the chat though was how much he hated Zimbru, as they had knocked Pats out of Europe at one stage!

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:37pm
A real straight shooter.

Deserved better treatment and its' a travesty he's not involved in Irish football; no doubt about it, because he is a straight talker and wouldnt put up with the fai cronyism. 

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I've always been a big fan of Kerr. I thought he was 100 % correct in his assessment of the Austria game. Just because he had a few shortcomings as Ireland manager doesn't mean he can't criticise the current regime. 

He made an awful decision bringing on Graham Kavanagh for Robbie Keane when we were 2-0 up against Israel which cost us. We also went too defensive against Israel away when holding on to a 1 goal lead. We really should have qualified for 2006.

Totally agree with this. Should have brought Stephen Elliott on a s straight swap for Robbie. Instead he totally disorganised the team by making unnecessary positional changes. I'm sure he knows himself that his terrible decision cost him in the long run.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

A real straight shooter.

Deserved better treatment and its' a travesty he's not involved in Irish football; no doubt about it, because he is a straight talker and wouldnt put up with the fai cronyism. 

He brought Roy back into the fold which didn't go down well with the ballad singer....

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 1:56pm
Kerr is entitled to his opinion and it is hard to disagree with what he said.  We were complete muck for the vast majority of the Austrian match and indeed we haven't put in a good performance at home since probably the Bosnia game.  

He is calling it as he sees it which is fair game.  Just because he is an ex manager does not mean he should not criticise the current regime (when warranted).  

As for Kerr the manager i thought he was decent for us.  obviously took over the reigns at a difficult time and somewhat steadied the ship.  His lack of experience at top level management showed and he proved to be somewhat naive over time making clearly incorrect calls at big stages in games.  We really should've qualified for Germany in 2006 and that was certainly a tournament that got away from us.  We were tactically inept in a number of games in that qualifying campaign.  IMO if Trap or MoN had've been in charge for that campaign we'd have been in the WC.

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

A real straight shooter.

He brought Roy back into the fold which didn't go down well with the ballad singer....

From what I remember that was the main point of the job description. 1st things 1st, get Roy back

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
Have alot of time for him. Thought We played the best football under him in terms of structure and methods of attack. Think the pressure got to him in the end which was his downfall.

Rarely find fault in what he says although he did come across very bitter about Trap, the thing was He was right, Trap shouldve been going to games. Defo should have got another campaign if it was as it turned out Stan was gonna be his replacement. Went on to Prove the FAI wrong by getting some noteable results with the Faroes. Still surprised He never landed a job afterwards in England.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm
His decisions in both games against Israel and the final game against Switzerland were his undoing. With the players he had, fourth was a very poor outcome. The Graham Kavenagh decision will always be a major blot.

Posted By: Paulie
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Totally agree with this. Should have brought Stephen Elliott on a s straight swap for Robbie. Instead he totally disorganised the team by making unnecessary positional changes. I'm sure he knows himself that his terrible decision cost him in the long run.

Kerr was a fairly negative manager but in that game he was just unlucky. My memory of the match is that we still continued to create chances after Kavanagh came on. It's not as though we stopped making goal scoring opportunities as a result of the substitution. Sure one of their goals was a bullet header to the top corner from about 15 yards ffs! It just wasn't our day.

Posted By: TonyNotJack
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:44pm
The oddest thing about that group was Israel. Never thought they were up to that much. Every time they played one of the big guns I felt this is where they get their comeuppance. Yet, every time they seemed to somehow scramble another draw like the game here when they were really outplayed. Weird team and one of the most annoying goalkeepers we ever faced. 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:44pm
Dudu prick.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:48pm
Dudu still hate that ****

-------------

Posted By: BriMurt
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:01pm
It wasn't the Israel game that was the most galling of the 04/05 campaign because 8 times out 10, Ireland would beat Israel in those circumstances, but that last game at home to Switzerland. If ever there was a time to be fired up and go for it, that was the game, and yet the team delivered the quintessential, depressingly conservative performance against a Swiss side who may have been reasonably well-organised but certainly no world-beaters. And I lay the blame squarely at the players' feet for that. If you can't have a go there, you don't deserve to be at the World Cup. 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

It wasn't the Israel game that was the most galling of the 04/05 campaign, but that last game at home to Switzerland. If ever there was a time to be fired up and go for it, that was the game, and yet the team delivered the quintessential, depressingly conservative performance against a Swiss side who may have been reasonably well-organised but certainly no world-beaters. And I lay the blame squarely at the players' feet for that. If you can't have a go there, you don't deserve to be at the World Cup. 
That was an extremely frustrating match. I remember feeling so angry leaving the stadium after the game. IIRC, he took Robbie Keane off after 75 minutes and put on Stephen Elliot. We didn't threaten at all. I was expecting the usual high tempo, long balls pumped into the box etc for the last 20 minutes or so but there was nothing. At the time I wanted Kerr to be sacked but looking back, he should have been given the Euro 2008 campaign.

-------------

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:09pm

It wasn't the Israel game that was the most galling of the 04/05 campaign, but that last game at home to Switzerland. If ever there was a time to be fired up and go for it, that was the game, and yet the team delivered the quintessential, depressingly conservative performance against a Swiss side who may have been reasonably well-organised but certainly no world-beaters. And I lay the blame squarely at the players' feet for that. If you can't have a go there, you don't deserve to be at the World Cup. 
That was an extremely frustrating match. I remember feeling so angry leaving the stadium after the game. IIRC, he took Robbie Keane off after 75 minutes and put on Stephen Elliot. We didn't threaten at all. I was expecting the usual high tempo, long balls pumped into the box etc for the last 20 minutes or so but there was nothing. At the time I wanted Kerr to be sacked but looking back, he should have been given the Euro 2008 campaign.

Kerr was probably looking for something different, but the team as a whole played in a disinterested fashion, so there wasn't much service for a fresh striker to take advantage of anyway. 

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:09pm
His time as manager should have absolute no impact on how people take his views on current performances though. Kerr is there because he is someone who genuinely understands the game, when he gives his opinion and it is negative or critical you have people shouting about him not doing any better, which is completely irrelevant.
I do think though, as I have said before, that he does enjoy leaving the boot in a bit and needs to harness his own bitterness towards the FAI.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: OnTheOneRoad
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:10pm

It was all a bit surreal that game. I was very young at the time but i remember feeling there wasnt a big match feeling about the game in the stands, like say there was when we lost 1-0 to France. We played as though we were already through or already out. It was almost like a friendly. 

I'll never forget 'Congratulations Switzerland' coming up on the scoreboard almost before the ref had even put the final whistle to his lips Dead

-------------
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

It was all a bit surreal that game. I was very young at the time but i remember feeling there wasnt a big match feeling about the game in the stands, like say there was when we lost 1-0 to France. We played as though we were already through or already out. It was almost like a friendly. 

I'll never forget 'Congratulations Switzerland' coming up on the scoreboard almost before the ref had even put the final whistle to his lips Dead

It's not the big teams or little teams I dread to see Ireland playing, but that opposition which is more or less an even match. It is against these teams that Ireland so often fail to perform. If you could hypnotise Ireland to believe that they're the out and out underdog in every game, they'd probably likely have qualified for more stuff than they have. 

Posted By: Mr. Snrub
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:25pm
I'll never forget that Dudu prick punching Andy O'Brien in the face which, somehow got O'Brien sent off. 

The 2 draws with Israel were a killer, we would have topped the group with wins.

As for the 0-0 with Switzerland, that was a real low point. I think Ian Harte had the only notable chance of the game after about 10 minutes and the rest of the match was dire! 

Kerr had a very good tarting 11 but we had no strength in depth those days.

Remember a certain Jon Macken getting a cap!? LOL

-------------
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:27pm
The notion was aswell the players were bored with the level of detail and preparation he went into before games. Hence He couldnt get them fired up.

Theres a stark Irony here somewhere but suffice to say it wasnt footballing matters that were his downfall but maybe his personell management skills. Does anyone remember him having to stand up for Keane for coming home late during match week?

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

The notion was aswell the players were bored with the level of detail and preparation he went into before games. Hence He couldnt get them fired up.

If players need someone to fire them up for a crucial WC qualifying game, then they're even bigger prima donnas  than I thought. The situation should be all the impetus needed. It was a game that was a real slap in the face to the notion of the Irish spirit. Spirit they have when things are going well, maybe. But when the chips are down? That's when it really counts. 

Brian Kerr may have been a negative manager, but there's no way he instructed them to play the turgid football they did on that night. 

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:10pm

I'd be the same...approached him with the Harps jersey on in Moldova and he was more than happy to chat all things LOI...The main thing I took from the chat though was how much he hated Zimbru, as they had knocked Pats out of Europe at one stage!
When he was managing the Faroes, they drew NI in one of the qualifying groups. After the game out there, he cadged a lift back on the IFA flight (a charter), on which there were also a number of NI fans. Despite everything, including the fact we only drew Ouch, they all liked him and thought him sound.

Posted By: BrendanD88
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

When he was managing the Faroes, they drew NI in one of the qualifying groups. After the game out there, he cadged a lift back on the IFA flight (a charter), on which there were also a number of NI fans. Despite everything, including the fact we only drew Ouch, they all liked him and thought him sound.

Decent point for your lot back then.

Posted By: Territorial
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Decent point for your lot back then.
To be filed under the category of "Sad But True". LOL

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:54pm
The thing with Kerr was the team seemed to show no spirit at all. Very flat performances. Eg. Switzerland away 2003, home 2005, France 2005...

Now the players were definitely at fault too.  I heard they hated the team meetings and didnt bother watching the DVDs Kerr gave them to watch on the opposition and wanted the party days back. It was too serious for them.  I find that pathetic for professionals tbh.

That's why they were initially pleased when Stan got the job and brought back the ''feel good factor'' (ha!) as it was called at the time. He brought back Tony Hickey and they all hopped on him when we beat Sweden 3-0. Stan was going to bring back the ways of Jack.

Despite what Dunphy says on RTE I find the Irish players unprofessional.  Ok they usually give their all (most of the time) but there is definitely a culture of liking to come over for interntional duty and having a piss up. They don't like being professional. They were in coppers after the Austria match.  I see them in there after nearly every match.  That's a joke tbh.

I suppose Kerr had Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne at their very best form. Duff was at Chelsea, Dunne player of the year at City, Given in top form, Keane banging them in at Spurs.  They were all very mediocre when they played for Eire under Kerr.

-------------

Posted By: Fozzy B
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:00pm
thinking back to that time, i dont think dunne ever played in a competitive game under kerr. it was always breen and cunningham in the euro qualfiers , then andy o'brien replaced breen for the 06 campaign. 

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The thing with Kerr was the team seemed to show no spirit at all. Very flat performances. Eg. Switzerland away 2003, home 2005, France 2005...

Now the players were definitely at fault too.  I heard they hated the team meetings and didnt bother watching the DVDs Kerr gave them to watch on the opposition and wanted the party days back. It was too serious for them.  I find that pathetic for professionals tbh.

That's why they were initially pleased when Stan got the job and brought back the ''feel good factor'' (ha!) as it was called at the time. He brought back Tony Hickey and they all hopped on him when we beat Sweden 3-0. Stan was going to bring back the ways of Jack.

Despite what Dunphy says on RTE I find the Irish players unprofessional.  Ok they usually give their all (most of the time) but there is definitely a culture of liking to come over for interntional duty and having a piss up. They don't like being professional. They were in coppers after the Austria match.  I see them in there after nearly every match.  That's a joke tbh.

I suppose Kerr had Keane, Duff, Given, Dunne at their very best form. Duff was at Chelsea, Dunne player of the year at City, Given in top form, Keane banging them in at Spurs.  They were all very mediocre when they played for Eire under Kerr.

Nothing wrong with having a pint after a single game international weekend. If they were getting pissed in between games of a double header, that's more of a problem. However, I'd say you have as much chance of removing the drink culture from the team's mentality as you would eliminating the long ball approach. 

But for perspective, do other international teams have a very strict approach to how their players behave in between games? I seem to remember a shot of the German team disembarking from their plane at the last WC and Ozil being photographed with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Makes me wonder how strictly other teams police their players and how much it's a factor. Have any of us ever watched Ireland play and gone, "Yeah, they look hungover. That's why they're 1-nil down."?

Posted By: DonkeyOatey
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:03pm

Nothing wrong with having a pint after a single game international weekend. If they were getting pissed in between games of a double header, that's more of a problem. However, I'd say you have as much chance of removing the drink culture from the team's mentality as you would eliminating the long ball approach. 

But for perspective, do other international teams have a very strict approach to how their players behave in between games? I seem to remember a shot of the German team disembarking from their plane at the last WC and Ozil being photographed with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Makes me wonder how strictly other teams police their players and how much it's a factor. Have any of us ever watched Ireland play and gone, "Yeah, they look hungover. That's why they're 1-nil down."?

Correct me if I'm wrong, prior to the game in Gelsenkirchen, were a few of the German team not photographed a little merry at Oktoberfest?

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:13pm
They could get as pissed as they liked after the Austria game as their season was finally over, it is probably the one time you couldn't call a player unprofessional for drinking!

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 11:14pm

Confused

The club season is over and all players were on their holidays once the Austria game finished. Whats wrong with going out?

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:29am
I said they are in there after most home games. You also had players sneaking out to drink and putting it in teapots.

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

the final game for 2004 was away to Switzerland in awinner takes all game for straight qualification iirc

The final game for 2006 was a home draw which would have brought a play off place with a win
we were f**king horrendous that night in Basle,great trip though

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 3:12pm
I have often wondered what would have happened under Kerr, had he been kept in the post, and he had been given the opportunity to mould a team in the post 2005 era, when may of the World Cup 2002 brigade were stepping aside, and had the likes of Joey O'Brien and Stephen Reid not been injured, and had Stephen Ireland stayed with the Irish setup. What is often forgotten in the haze of the Staunton era is that we did have a clatter of very good players available to us, and some more developed during the course of that campaign. O'Brien, Ireland, McGeady, Long, Doyle and Hunt spring to mind, while the likes of Stephen Kelly and Alan Quinn had potential. Along with a spine of Given, Finnan, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff and Keane, we should have been able to make a real challenge for a place at Euro 08, rather than pick up the pieces after a 5-2 defeat in Cyprus, or nearly drawing with San Marino.

Kerr may well have benefitted from moulding the post McCarthy Irish team, as he would have known the players well, and was a very seasoned manager. The problem remained that decisions he made during the WC qualifying campaign were very easy to pinpoint.

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 4:48pm
Whatever about the other players, Stephen Ireland would have never played for Kerr

-------------
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on https://mastodon.ie/@irish_abroad" rel="nofollow - mastodon and https://www.facebook.com/irishfootballstatisics" rel="nofollow - facebook

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Whatever about the other players, Stephen Ireland would have never played for Kerr

Cork player in being an arse shocker!

-------------

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:13pm

I said they are in there after most home games. You also had players sneaking out to drink and putting it in teapots.

Would there be a problem if it was after the Germany game? They're normal lads as well at the end of the day. As long as its not 72 hours before a game, its not a massive issue IMO. 

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Would there be a problem if it was after the Germany game? They're normal lads as well at the end of the day. As long as its not 72 hours before a game, its not a massive issue IMO. 

There's an awful immaturity among footballers. Why do they have to go to Coppers after every game?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net