You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 9:36am
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

He was from OTT last week. This is a witch-hunt against a national treasure. 

Ah Brian, do you really consider yourself a national treasure?
Sponsored Links

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 11:17am
He was given some award before the Lithuania game the other night. Can't remember what it was for, but it bugged me, given how negative and spiteful he has been towards Kenny.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by counterlock counterlock wrote:

He was on with second captains if anyone has a subscription

My taking from that interview is that he wants Kenny to do well but he thinks he's getting an easy ride form the media so he's calling him out on certain things. Kerr reckons he's overly positive and needs to be more realistic (and blunt) when things are going wrong, eg Luxembourg at home.

I'm a big fan of Kenny and Kerr. Kerr has every right to call him out in his media role if he thinks he's right which he does.  
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

My taking from that interview is that he wants Kenny to do well but he thinks he's getting an easy ride form the media so he's calling him out on certain things. Kerr reckons he's overly positive and needs to be more realistic (and blunt) when things are going wrong, eg Luxembourg at home.

I'm a big fan of Kenny and Kerr. Kerr has every right to call him out in his media role if he thinks he's right which he does.  

A balanced perspective. 
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 3:12pm

I could agree with this if he was fair in both his praise and criticism but he only focuses on the negatives
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

He was from OTT last week. This is a witch-hunt against a national treasure. 

Ah Brian, do you really consider yourself a national treasure?

No man has given more to Irish football. 
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 2:51pm
I'm happy with the progress recently both in terms of results and style, but there seem to be a lot of SK Fan Boys on here either ignorant or wilfully blind to objective realities and Ireland's history.

I think Brian Kerr's point would be:

- SK failed to have us qualify for the Euros, after a play-off being served on a plate for him by Mick, and was unable to beat a below mediocre Slovakia team that was missing its two best players on the night;

- SK then oversaw a pathetic NL run, the worst on record - got us relegated;

- SK then went out of WC qualification at the earliest stage I can certainly remember - maybe since the 70s;  

- SK oversaw what must be our most embarrassing home result in living memory v Luxembourg;

- I've not checked, but results-wise, SK might be the least successful Irish manager in history;

- All of this with the same players who Mick had been able to go unbeaten bar one in Euro qualifying and three competitive draws out of Denmark and Switzerland, semi-finalists and quarter-finalists at the subsequent Euros; 

- to cap it off, not mentioned, but the SK's departure in the middle of up-until-then unprecedently good U21 qualification campaign which looked like we would qualify for the first time in history, saw the U21s fall apart and results fall off a cliff; 

- somehow, we managed to achieve getting knocked out of the Euros, relegated from the Nations League, knocked out of the world cup and a fantastic position in the U21s all go up in a puff of smoke in maybe 12 months.

I think Kerr's point would be that no other manager would survive that - and he'd be right. 

Kerr might also be bitter because of how it ended for him.  Arguably should have beat France - then the world champions in Paris, and was unlucky to lose to the same team in Dublin from a Thierry Henry wonder-goal on the day the best player in the world Zidane, and two others Thuram and Makelele came out of retirement.  He had two unlucky draws by Israel. My feeling with Kerr at the time was that he did a good job - the team was always set up well -  but was very unlucky with late goals in two games against Israel, and just did not get the bounce of the ball against an outrageous France team.

Kerr is correct to think he (and Mick and Trap) was being judged by an entirely different standard to SK. 

I appreciate that SK is doing a re-building job, but that can be said to an extent for every new manager.  And when Mick did the same in 1996 building a team of teenagers from scratch, ok he lost once away to Macedonia, but other than that, he did not have any results on a par with what has been standard fare for SK for the first two years of his tenure.

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 03 Apr 2022 at 2:53pm
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 2:55pm
We qualified for a playoff by coming last in our nations league group under MON. Nothing whatsoever to do with Mick.

Other than that - while many of your points are fair, once Kenny kept his job after Luxembourg he needs to be judged on the results since rather than the results prior- which have mostly been excellent. Kerr constantly referring to the Luxembourg game is a bit silly at this stage.

Another key point in Kennys favour for me is that he’s dragged a few players in that were on nobody’s radar - particularly Ogbene and McGrath. That kind of eye for a player is crucial considering how shallow our strength in depth is.

Edited by giveittochristie - 03 Apr 2022 at 3:00pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:19pm
LAR, I think that’s an excellent summation. But, I think what needs to be acknowledged is that Kerr just needed one win from six games to qualify, and that wasn’t achieved. Context here was that we had our three big ticket home games after we played the way games, and we performed worse at home. I struggle to accept a lack of luck against Israel, as those wins were in our hands. But managerial decisions saw us withdraw and gradually offer them greater freedom and opportunity, which they took. There was also the famous decision against the Swiss in Dublin to play JOS in midfield instead of an alternative midfield. Also taking of Robbie Keane in the 65 minute. The margin between going to Germany and staying behind was tight, but those tight margins could be attributable to decisions made in terms of players and tactics at important times.

Kenny has probably enjoyed certain prerogatives, which might even include an indulgence for the abominable defeat to Luxembourg. But Irish senior football was so run down that it may have just been the turning point. And, Kenny has learned from it, has solidified his team selection, and has us playing decent football. 

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:37pm
We weren't relegated

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 03 Apr 2022 at 3:37pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:40pm
Kerr was hardly unlucky against Israel, he blew that home game due to poor managerial decisions. An injured Robbie Keane was replaced by Graham Kavanagh when we were sailing at 2-0 and by half time it was 2-2. The Swiss home game was a disgrace, we didn't even have a go! Don't forget, we had peak Keane, Duff, Finnan, O'Shea, Dunne, Given, Kilbane & a returning Roy Keane and we couldn't get over the line. We should have won in Paris and blew leads away to Israel & Switzerland, not good enough 

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 03 Apr 2022 at 3:41pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:43pm
I love how he emphasises how many players Slovakia were missing but completely ignores the huge disruption to our preparations and the fact we were missing two or three players who would've started for us.

Also put in a much better performance in a crunch game than we did against Denmark and Switzerland, getting completely overrun under Mick's watch.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I'm happy with the progress recently both in terms of results and style, but there seem to be a lot of SK Fan Boys on here either ignorant or wilfully blind to objective realities and Ireland's history.

I think Brian Kerr's point would be:

- SK failed to have us qualify for the Euros, after a play-off being served on a plate for him by Mick, and was unable to beat a below mediocre Slovakia team that was missing its two best players on the night;

- SK then oversaw a pathetic NL run, the worst on record - got us relegated;

- SK then went out of WC qualification at the earliest stage I can certainly remember - maybe since the 70s;  

- SK oversaw what must be our most embarrassing home result in living memory v Luxembourg;

- I've not checked, but results-wise, SK might be the least successful Irish manager in history;

- All of this with the same players who Mick had been able to go unbeaten bar one in Euro qualifying and three competitive draws out of Denmark and Switzerland, semi-finalists and quarter-finalists at the subsequent Euros; 

- to cap it off, not mentioned, but the SK's departure in the middle of up-until-then unprecedently good U21 qualification campaign which looked like we would qualify for the first time in history, saw the U21s fall apart and results fall off a cliff; 

- somehow, we managed to achieve getting knocked out of the Euros, relegated from the Nations League, knocked out of the world cup and a fantastic position in the U21s all go up in a puff of smoke in maybe 12 months.

I think Kerr's point would be that no other manager would survive that - and he'd be right. 

Kerr might also be bitter because of how it ended for him.  Arguably should have beat France - then the world champions in Paris, and was unlucky to lose to the same team in Dublin from a Thierry Henry wonder-goal on the day the best player in the world Zidane, and two others Thuram and Makelele came out of retirement.  He had two unlucky draws by Israel. My feeling with Kerr at the time was that he did a good job - the team was always set up well -  but was very unlucky with late goals in two games against Israel, and just did not get the bounce of the ball against an outrageous France team.

Kerr is correct to think he (and Mick and Trap) was being judged by an entirely different standard to SK. 

I appreciate that SK is doing a re-building job, but that can be said to an extent for every new manager.  And when Mick did the same in 1996 building a team of teenagers from scratch, ok he lost once away to Macedonia, but other than that, he did not have any results on a par with what has been standard fare for SK for the first two years of his tenure.

If you're going to make an argument, the least you should do is some fact checking before you make yourself look silly.

Mick McCarthy had NOTHING to do with us getting a playoff. We were awarded it by default through the previous NL campaign under O'Neill. It was in the bag before Mick ever took charge.
We did not get relegated from the Nations League under Kenny. We finished 3rd and stayed up ahead of Bulgaria.

Our worst NL (of a total of 2) was actually the previous campaign under O'Neill where we DID get relegated (though stayed up because of a reformat of the tournament by UEFA for the next campaign) 2 draws under O'Neills vs 3 under Kenny.

As for McCarthy having largely the same squad of players, he did yeah but they were 2 years younger and in completely different stages and form of their career. Egan, Stevens, Robinson, McGoldrick were all playing and performing week in/out in the PL. Duffy was flying for Brighton in the PL, Doherty for Wolves. Brady and Hendrick playing regularly for Burnley in the PL Hourihane for Villa in the PL. Clark for Newcastle in the Pl. Randolph playing week in/out for Middlesbrough in the Championship. McClean playing for Stoke in Championship. Then look at where they were just 2 years later.

Conveniently you've managed to leave out Covid / forget about the impact of a world pandemic. Something no other manager has ever had to deal with.

In kennys first NL campaign there was a point we were without 20 senior Internationals!

No 2 squads or even teams were the same until the later end of 2021 due to players having Covid or being close contacts.

We were playing in empty stadiums without the 12th man. We've seen the difference in recent games what it makes.

There was a load of anomaly results in that period for other teams, not just us losing to Luxembourg. Off top of my head Germany lost to North Macedonia in qualifying, Sweden lost to Georgia, Georgia almost beat Spain too. 

I think most genuine fans are sympathetic because they could see the reality of the situation over the first 18 months of Kennys reign.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 3:56pm
Yet again someone not grasping how/why we were in that playoff. 

And again a childish ‘fan boys’ remark thrown in for good measure, seriously grow up.

Otherwise some valid points, but equating the rebuild that SK has undertaken to “an extent” of what “every other manager”  had to do is disingenuous in the extreme. Not every other manager has had such a rebuild with Ireland, maybe if some hd the bottle to do it, wed be much better off now.

Kerr should be leaving his bitterness at the door, calling out what he sees critically, be it the bad as he has done but also the good. He hasn’t called the good thats why he is slated as he is. 

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

LAR, I think that’s an excellent summation. But, I think what needs to be acknowledged is that Kerr just needed one win from six games to qualify, and that wasn’t achieved. Context here was that we had our three big ticket home games after we played the way games, and we performed worse at home. 

Kenny has probably enjoyed certain prerogatives, which might even include an indulgence for the abominable defeat to Luxembourg. But Irish senior football was so run down that it may have just been the turning point. And, Kenny has learned from it, has solidified his team selection, and has us playing decent football.

It's not an excellent summation, it's littered with factual inaccuracies, and laced with bitterness from the mouth of someone who never moved on when he was let go at the end of his contract, after his biggest achievement playing to our strengths was beating Cyprus at home. 

Under Kenny, the price so far of all the transition and all the rebuilding was one loss against Luxembourg and an exuberant celebration, after a winning goal in injury time against a side the last man couldn't beat at home. Not that much so far then. 
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 8:57am

Think you're being generous there. There seemed to be a bit of a tone from him about Kenny to be honest, though he barely mentioned him directly. "Everything is excellent" he kept saying, as if this was some horrible thing from Stephen Kenny in his positivity. To be honest after 15 years of Trap, MON and then Mick bemoaning the lack of quality players and playing the poor mouth, I'm fine with Kenny being positive and bigging his players up. Kerr seemed to really take issue with that in particular which seemed just petty to me. 

I don't think Kerr is obliged to support Kenny at all but he didn't seem willing to acknowledge that Kenny has done anything to get the fans onside in the SC interview. There was a question put to him and David Sneyd about why the fans are on board and where the positivity has come from and Kerr seemed to focus more on the young players coming through without crediting Kenny for starting them. He then focussed on the black lads and how it's more reflective of Irish society which is a fair point but I just found it weird that he said something along the lines of "people are excited to see these young players they maybe wouldn't have heard of or know as well" without also saying "credit to Stephen for that". 

He also said we've been knocked out of 3 competitions under SK and I just think throwing that Slovakia playoff as a negative against him is laziness and revisionist in the extreme. Hourihane missed from 4 yards out in ET ffs (one of quite a few really good chances we missed). He was criticised for us not scoring and being tepid going forward relentlessly and rightly so for some of the performances, but his critics quote that Slovakia game as if it wasn't easily one of the best performances under SK in the early days. 

I like Kerr in general, think he's done unbelievable work for Irish football and he seems like a sound fella as well but everything I hear from him on the current set up makes me think it's a bit more personal than objective tbh. 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 11:45am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Think you're being generous there. There seemed to be a bit of a tone from him about Kenny to be honest, though he barely mentioned him directly. "Everything is excellent" he kept saying, as if this was some horrible thing from Stephen Kenny in his positivity. To be honest after 15 years of Trap, MON and then Mick bemoaning the lack of quality players and playing the poor mouth, I'm fine with Kenny being positive and bigging his players up. Kerr seemed to really take issue with that in particular which seemed just petty to me. 

I don't think Kerr is obliged to support Kenny at all but he didn't seem willing to acknowledge that Kenny has done anything to get the fans onside in the SC interview. There was a question put to him and David Sneyd about why the fans are on board and where the positivity has come from and Kerr seemed to focus more on the young players coming through without crediting Kenny for starting them. He then focussed on the black lads and how it's more reflective of Irish society which is a fair point but I just found it weird that he said something along the lines of "people are excited to see these young players they maybe wouldn't have heard of or know as well" without also saying "credit to Stephen for that". 

He also said we've been knocked out of 3 competitions under SK and I just think throwing that Slovakia playoff as a negative against him is laziness and revisionist in the extreme. Hourihane missed from 4 yards out in ET ffs (one of quite a few really good chances we missed). He was criticised for us not scoring and being tepid going forward relentlessly and rightly so for some of the performances, but his critics quote that Slovakia game as if it wasn't easily one of the best performances under SK in the early days. 

I like Kerr in general, think he's done unbelievable work for Irish football and he seems like a sound fella as well but everything I hear from him on the current set up makes me think it's a bit more personal than objective tbh. 

Nail on the head.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 3:07pm
The Nations League will provide a progress report. Kenny's best competitive efforts have been against Portugal and Serbia so it's reasonable to expect four points from the Scotland and Ukraine games to add to a definite six from Armenia. Anything less would be underwhelming.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 24>
  Share Topic