You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Never came from behind to win a competitive international, never beat a team ranked higher in a competitive game, and off the top of my head never had a player score on his debut.
Only capped 15 new players during his reign. Only Kenny(11) has capped less players in the last eleven full time managers.

This is a staggering stat!

So Kenny, who has introduced so many fresh new young talent into our squad, has capped the least new players of any Ireland manager?
I assume that's due to tenure?
And also, would Kenny be capping younger, on average, players than previous regimes?

The numbers are so interesting Tongue
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Never came from behind to win a competitive international, never beat a team ranked higher in a competitive game, and off the top of my head never had a player score on his debut.
Only capped 15 new players during his reign. Only Kenny(11) has capped less players in the last eleven full time managers.

So Kenny, who has introduced so many fresh new young talent into our squad, has capped the least new players of any Ireland manager?
And also, would Kenny be capping younger, on average, players than previous regimes?

Yeah, it'd have to be down to the amount of games played. Kenny has had 20 games, giving out 12 new caps so far. A quick glance at previous managers GP range from Kerrs 33 games up to Jacks 93.

Kenny could equal Kerrs 15 just in March with potential caps for Kilkenny, Taylor, Smallbone or Scales.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of debuts handed out by each manager. Surely Staunton didn't give debuts to 15+ players in only 17 games in charge.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Yeah, it'd have to be down to the amount of games played. Kenny has had 20 games, giving out 12 new caps so far. A quick glance at previous managers GP range from Kerrs 33 games up to Jacks 93.

Kenny could equal Kerrs 15 just in March with potential caps for Kilkenny, Taylor, Smallbone or Scales.

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of debuts handed out by each manager. Surely Staunton didn't give debuts to 15+ players in only 17 games in charge.

Staunton would've given out loads during that American tour where Kilbane was the only established senior player who wanted to turn up. Lads like Joe Gamble and Alan Bennett were starting games.

I'd say Taylor is miles off a call up. Scales might be close enough by virtue of a lack of alternatives.

Nobody talking about Sammie Szmodics anymore.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 12:19am
Trap also gave 6 debuts in that Nations Cup tournament we won.

McCarthy probably gave a good few in the old US Cup tournaments too in '96 & '00.

Edited by Bandwagon - 27 Dec 2021 at 12:20am
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I'll check the average age of first caps awarded by each manager and get back to you
There's a list of the managers and the number of new caps awarded by each one in the article i wrote recently

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 27 Dec 2021 at 1:07am
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 10:59am
Ah I see, yeah it's those USA Cups that happeend at the end of seasons that allowed caps be given to lads who were never seen from again I suppose.

We'll have to wait a few years before we can compare the quality of those caps, so to speak.

Edited by Fozz - 27 Dec 2021 at 10:59am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 11:30am

By my count he has handed out 12 debuts so far.

Gavin Bazunu
Caoimhin Kelleher
Nathan Collins
Andrew Omobamidele
Dara O'Shea
Ryan Manning
Jayson Molumby
Jason Knight
Jamie McGrath
Chiedozie Ogbene
Adam Idah
Will Keane

That's a reasonably high quality list that I think will age well, possibly other than Keane who is in because of our obvious issues up front. Kenny certainly hasn't been throwing out token caps anyway.

I think the Nations League coming in has contributed to this also, fewer meaningless friendlies to give the chance to throw in longer shots like Conor Coventry or Sammie Szmodics for a first cap.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 Dec 2021 at 11:32am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 2:19pm
Also, lads like Cullen, while capped first by MM have been given prominent roles under SK, while they appeared in the friendly matches under Mick, who otherwise played a regimented selection in competitive matches. So there are undoubtedly lads who were on the fringes with MM who are now heavily involved.

IIRC some of Kerr’s new caps include lads like Jon Macken, John Thompson, Clive Clarke and Jason Byrne who played once under Kerr (Clarke played twice, in the Unity Cup.). I always felt he was very loyal to a particular group of players, even trying to shoehorn players into different positions, rather than go for a natural alternative.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 6:39pm
Going back to the Isreal game , now when Robbie had to come off it was a one for one as we were all over them , but Kerr got it wrong . Now i was happy he got the job but in the end he failed and had to go as for JD and the FAI less said the better . 

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

By my count he has handed out 12 debuts so far.

Gavin Bazunu
Caoimhin Kelleher
Nathan Collins
Andrew Omobamidele
Dara O'Shea
Ryan Manning
Jayson Molumby
Jason Knight
Jamie McGrath
Chiedozie Ogbene
Adam Idah
Will Keane

That's a reasonably high quality list that I think will age well, possibly other than Keane who is in because of our obvious issues up front. Kenny certainly hasn't been throwing out token caps anyway.

I think the Nations League coming in has contributed to this also, fewer meaningless friendlies to give the chance to throw in longer shots like Conor Coventry or Sammie Szmodics for a first cap.

Thanks, I had missed Will Keane

I've added the average age of debutants to the article as well
http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=913796039860266728

Stephen Kenny has the awarded debuts to players with the second lowest average age of all the full time managers - 22 years, 43d - just behind Steve Staunton who debuted players aged 21y, 315d on average
Martin O'Neill awarded debuts to the oldest players on average - 24y, 321d - and the average of a player who made their debut under Kerr is right in the middle - 23y, 129d
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:19am
Sour bollox again tonight, shock horror.

Had to laugh when he moaned about bringing Parrott on in the last minute the other day.

Well, he did come in clutch tonight with the last kick of the game. Maybe Kenny knows what he's doing?

Some cheek to critique other managers substitutions considering some of his brainsharts (Israel).
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Had to laugh when he moaned about bringing Parrott on in the last minute the other day.

Well, he did come in clutch tonight with the last kick of the game. Maybe Kenny knows what he's doing?

Some cheek to critique other managers substitutions considering some of his brainsharts (Israel).
He’s seems very sour towards Stephen Kenny in particular anytime I’ve heard him over the last few years  . Do you know what that’s all about or does anyone know if has a problem with SK in general ?

Edited by Liam Green - 30 Mar 2022 at 12:24am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:25am
Not doing himself any favours. Very strange, a lot of bitterness towards Kenny from certain people. Curious. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:48am
You'd think he would support a home grown Irish manager.  He is as bitter as a lemon.  
He had his time and made a balls of it.  He should be grateful he was given the job in the first place.
The football we played under him was very boring and sucked the atmosphere out of the old Lansdowne.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Most of us were critical of this too. Parrott was on for about 2 minutes the other day. Big difference when he got 30+ minutes last night and was able to effect the game.

But agree with everything said about Kerr. He's been extremely bitter since Kenny took over.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 6:59am
Seen that on Virgin alright. Turned it over, cant be listening to that this far into a managers reign given how things are going. Sometimes its easier to moan. I know Kerr relationship with FAI ended very badly and maybe that has plays a part but its just bad form and sticks of bitterness. 

Edited by GoneToShowgies - 30 Mar 2022 at 7:01am
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 2:02pm
I agree with Brian.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

I agree with Brian.

Misery loves company. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 24>
  Share Topic