Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brian Kerr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 5:14pm
Thought Kerr was very funny last night taking issue with Damien's United criticism and Bielsa's comments. 

Wtf is 'tanner ball football' LOL

Edited by irishmufc - 30 Apr 2021 at 5:16pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Thought Kerr was very funny last night taking issue with Damien's United criticism and Bielsa's comments. 

Wtf is 'tanner ball football' LOL

Ha that's gas.  They need to get those two on again.   Wht started that row off?
Kerr made some comment ''you dont like United''
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Kerr seems more into personality building than analysis. Why is it that failed managers fail to forget they are failed managers?

Absolute moronic post. 

Kerr is one of the best analysts around who actually does his research no matter how obscure the players or team is that an EPL side is playing against in Europe. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 10:45pm
Watching his re-run interview with Tommy Martin on Virgin.

I take issue with many things he says.  Complaining about Jack Charlton style of play etc..

The entertainment value watching EIRE under Jack was far higher watching the dull, passionless stalemates Kerr used to serve up.  As a fan the most boring era in my lifetime was probably Kerr's era.

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 11:33pm

Jack was the main man for hoof ball but in fairness, he wasn’t scared to push men forward. His midfield had a license to press on and try to nick knock downs and breaking ball. His fullbacks were free to get forward. It was high octane stuff and, while it wasn’t technical, it could be exciting.

Much better than the sh*te served by several managers since in terms of ambition as well as results.

I’m a big fan of Kerr but his reign was ultimately disappointing. 
El Puto Amo
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 11:46pm
Caught that myself, bit ironic that he was having a go at Kenny recently over the same very same thing.

He such a bitter aul bollocks about his tenure as Ireland manager, I'd say hes absolutely fuming at the response Kenny has been getting compared to himself.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Jack was the main man for hoof ball but in fairness, he wasn’t scared to push men forward. His midfield had a license to press on and try to nick knock downs and breaking ball. His fullbacks were free to get forward. It was high octane stuff and, while it wasn’t technical, it could be exciting.

Much better than the sh*te served by several managers since in terms of ambition as well as results.

I’m a big fan of Kerr but his reign was ultimately disappointing. 

Nail on the head. 

Kerr was fantastic for youth football and tbh he should have stuck with that and have been retained by the FAI to do so.

I just hate when people say Jack underachieved or set Irish football back or didn't play good football etc..

They like to claim they could have got the same if not better results playing some sort of mid 80s playmaker style football.

Its utter nonsense imo.  Firstly Hand while he came close ultimately failed.  The campaign for Mexico 86 was a disaster.

The core of the 1988-90 squad was there and we didn't come within an arses roar of Mexico.  While I understand Hand may have made initial enquiries about Aldridge I very much doubthe and Houghton would have declared had he remained manager.

Jack's stature in the game was a lure for these type of players much like Kenny Dalglish was in luring the likes of Shearer to Blackburn.

Jack got the job done that all these managers like Giles and Kerr loved talking about but never achieved. 

Kerr had a talented squad and blew it.  We came off the back of 2002 in which we played decent football and had exciting young players.  We went from that to this dour, park the bus, nick an early goal and sit back and absorb what the opposition could throw at us.  The football was awful.  I'm not sure why he has sour grapes over Jack.  His dislike of Kenny has been quite surprising. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 12:57am
Should have got another campaign imo
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 10:26am
I have said before his massive mistakes bringing on two subs when we were 2-0 up at home to Israel . 
He never recoved from that one , now i think he had his chance but in the end failed .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 10:32am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Definitely not. 

We were very negative under Kerr and I don't think the players really took to him tbh. Not saying they downed tools but I highly doubt there was too many disappointed among the squad when his contract wasn't renewed. 

He's certainly bitter in the backing the players have given Kenny despite the horrific results we had up until recently. 

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I have said before his massive mistakes bringing on two subs when we were 2-0 up at home to Israel . 
He never recoved from that one , now i think he had his chance but in the end failed .

I can't agree there. Whatever about the rest of his tenure which in my opinion was pretty poor, he was very unlucky in that match. We were 2 goals up and playing really well. When the subs were made we continued to play really well but somehow conceded twice. One was a pen and the other was a header in the top corner from about 15 yards. It was just one of those games. We should have won by about 3 goals but if we were still playing now we wouldn't get a winner.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 10:59am

Definitely not. 

Played 33 games, won 18, drew 11 and lost just 4 (one of those against a top french side)

I felt he deserved another crack and some of those calls, specifically the Israel game, would have been learned from and not repeated. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 10:59am
Most football management careers have a sell by date.  Difficult to think of any Irish manager who was fired or not renewed unfairly.  If anything the mistakes were in the hiring, like Stan, or extending, as in MON/RK.  Kerr deserved his chance but didn’t make the most of it.  
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 11:07am
I felt with Kerr the outcome reflected the failure. The French team were a mess at the outset, we were at least the equals of the Swiss, and better than Israel. Yet, we came fourth in the group. Some decisions were made during that campaign that you could point to as changing the tide of games, including the game in Basel, both games against Israel and the final game of the group against the Swiss. I think it is forgotten that we did get a taster of what was to come against Cyprus in October 2005 when we won 1-0, but it was a backs to the wall job after Elliott’s early goal.

Keane had returned, the likes of Given, Keane, Duff were really in some of their strongest form at the time, Kilbane was central to a high performing Everton team, O’Shea was a regular at Man United. Finnan won the CL with Liverpool. The list is extensive, and to finish in fourth was not an acceptable outcome. I’m less concerned about the footballing style employed than the results. That was a team on paper that was unable to deliver results or exciting football.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 11:07am

Definitely not. 

Played 33 games, won 18, drew 11 and lost just 4 (one of those against a top french side)

I felt he deserved another crack and some of those calls, specifically the Israel game, would have been learned from and not repeated. 

Those statistics are a bit misleading. 

Who did we beat of note under Kerr not in friendlies but competitive games? 

There was a horrible inevitability in the lead up to the Switzerland home game that we were simply never going to win that match. 

He was too cautious anytime we got into a lead from what I remember and we weren't good enough to hold out without conceding.

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 11:10am

Not really, he didn't do anything to justify another campaign. We finished fourth in the qualifying group for the 2006 World Cup, our lowest position since the qualifiers for Mexico '86, and I'll never forgive him for taking off Robbie Keane when we needed a goal at home to Switzerland in his last game. We could have played on for another hour on that game and still wouldn't have scored.

There was more to it than just the substitutions. Robbie had injured his shoulder, and had to come off. Stephen Elliott was among the substitutes and should have come on for a straight swap. Instead, Kerr brought on Graham Kavanagh, which meant moving Kevin Kilbane out of centre midfield to left wing, and Damien Duff from the left wing up front. Duff had been tearing them apart for the whole game up to that point, and moving him completely neutralised the threat he caused. Instead of one simple change, Kerr made three unforced ones, which destabilised the team that day.
There wasn't anything he could do about the goals, a once in a career header, and a penalty, or the red card for the goalkeeper's theatrics, but he didn't do himself any favours with the changes he did make.

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 26 Dec 2021 at 1:47pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Not really, he didn't do anything to justify another campaign. We finished fourth in the qualifying group for the 2006 World Cup, our lowest position since the qualifiers for Mexico '86, and I'll never forgive him for taking off Robbie Keane when we needed a goal at home to Switzerland in his last game. We could have plagued on for another hour on that game and still wouldn't have scored.

There was more to it than just the substitutions. Robbie had injured his shoulder, and had to come off. Stephen Elliott was among the substitutes and should have come on for a straight swap. Instead, Kerr brought on Graham Kavanagh, which meant moving Kevin Kilbane out of centre midfield to left wing, and Damien Duff from the left wing up front. Duff had been tearing them apart for the whole game up to that point, and moving him completely neutralised the threat he caused. Instead of one simple change, Kerr made three unforced ones, which destabilised the team that day.
There wasn't anything he could do about the goals, a once in a career header, and a penalty, or the red card for the goalkeeper's theatrics, but he didn't did himself any favours with the changes he did make.

Saved me the bother, my feelings exactly.

He was treated appallingly by Delaney but he'd essentially had two campaigns (six of eight games in the first) and had qualification in our own hands in both only to miss out through negative tactics. 

One up at home to Russia where a win would have sent us to Switzerland needing a win to top the group and we invited them on and drew. Horrendous performance in Switzerland when a play off was up for grabs.

Next campaign everyone knows about both Israel games where two wins would have actually seen us top the group. Rode our luck massively to pox a win in Cyprus to give us a play off shot at home to the Swiss again only to put in one of the most insipid home performances I've seen at Lansdowne for a scoreless draw to finish fourth.

I think Kerr was great for Irish football overall and like him a lot as an individual. But it had run its course at senior level. That said, I'd have left him in charge ahead of Staunton, I don't blame him for having his nose out of joint after that farce. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 26 Dec 2021 at 2:00pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 5:46pm

Definitely not. 

No competitive wins against any team ranked higher than 82nd in the world (Georgia)
Despite having peak Robbie Keane and Damien Duff in the team, never scored more than three in a game. His team only scored three in a game twice, and only one of those was a competitive international

He had already made a similar mistake in the 2004 qualifiers when Cunningham was suspended for the final game against Switzerland.
He moved John O'Shea, who has been playing at left full, into centre half, and started Ian Harte, instead of starting Andy O'Brien or Gary Doherty as Gary Breen's partner. Two unforced changes when only one was needed, and he made the same mistake against Israel.

Never came from behind to win a competitive international, never beat a team ranked higher in a competitive game, and off the top of my head never had a player score on his debut.
Only capped 15 new players during his reign. Only Kenny(11) has capped less players in the last eleven full time managers.

Kerr wasn't the worst manager we've ever had, and Staunton was far worse than him, but he underachieved massively with possibly the most talented squad we'd had since Italia '90
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>
  Share Topic