Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Darron Gibson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 243244245246247 250>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

is Community Service and Community Order the same thing?

What kind of work will he do, and how frequently over the two years?

Hopefully being a petrol pump attendant serving people petrol
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:18pm
He should be made do his community service in a rehabilitation clinic helping victims of drunk drivers.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:47am
I know many in society feel a visceral need to see people "locked up"; but at the end of the day what good does that really do, particularly for someone who apparently is suffering from mental health issues. He's received a hefty punishment and will presumably be mandated to go through treatment for his problems as well; hopefully it sets his life back on course.
We're decent enough..
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:02am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I know many in society feel a visceral need to see people "locked up"; but at the end of the day what good does that really do, particularly for someone who apparently is suffering from mental health issues. He's received a hefty punishment and will presumably be mandated to go through treatment for his problems as well; hopefully it sets his life back on course.

It’s true. I don’t think he’s a menace who needs separating from society. He can probably be rehabilitated as well through programmes outside of prison and two years of community service will be a large imposition on him. 

All locking him up does is impose a £100k burden on the taxpayer. And you’d have to imagine it would be tough for him to keep his head down in the prison system so he’d probably need additional resources. 
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He is a grade 1 dope. He should be locked up for a spell given its his 2nd time doing this.

Maybe. You rarely see people locked up here for that. that's not to say they shouldn't be. 

The other side of this is he has lost a lot because of his behavior. Hard to tell from this distance how real his medical issues are but on the assumption that they are genuine it is probably the right sentence (based on my extensive research of reading the court cases in the Connacht Tribune!!).
It's not me it's you:-)
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:25am

He has done this twice now (been caught twice how many times did he get away with it) and I believe he is a danger to society. A few weeks/months caged would be a much better lesson imo and more likely to stop him doing it again imo. I am relatively liberal but such an anti-social, dangerous act done again and again needs stopped and i feel jail would be the best option. He can receive any care he needs whilst inside. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:31am
If he had harmed someone then yes, a custodial sentence would have certainly been appropriate. The problem with the "a few months caged up would do him good" line of thought is that research has continually proved it to be dead wrong. Our judicial systems have two functions, to punish AND rehabilitate; people often overlook the 2nd function in favour of going all in on the 1st, and that is simply counterproductive.
We're decent enough..
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:44am

If he had harmed someone then yes, a custodial sentence would have certainly been appropriate. The problem with the "a few months caged up would do him good" line of thought is that research has continually proved it to be dead wrong. Our judicial systems have two functions, to punish AND rehabilitate; people often overlook the 2nd function in favour of going all in on the 1st, and that is simply counterproductive.

I feel with Gibson a stint in jail will be the best form of rehabilitation. Surely a successful rehabilitation program for him is one that stops him driving vehicles whilst incapable through drink or drugs no? It would be the firmest message he could be sent that he needs to cease his repeat offending behaviour. 

I don't buy that we need a person to be injured or killed before a person can be jailed in a scenario such as this. That implies that his rights to help and compassion is higher than a hypothetical victims rights. Not so imo considering he is a repeat offender now.

I am all for rehabilitation in the first instance - I previously took time away from this forum after I advocated that kids who "burnt" a horse in Tallagh needed help and education rather that hanging which was the general consensus on here and got personal abuse for it - but I think Gibson is too far gone and needs locked up in order to aid his rehab. 

As initially mentioned, a point which you didnt address, he can get any help he needs for medical or rehabilitation purposes he needs in jail. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:51am
He has been banned from driving for 40 months and will presumably be mandated to undergo regular drug testing and observe a curfew. I'd be quite condident that will prevent him drinking and driving. If not, then he will end up in jail.

We're decent enough..
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 9:56am
Ultimately a sounder legal mind than me has deemed it fit to ban him for 40 months so I have to accept that. If it Had been me making the decision I would have sentenced him to maximum time available to me in a jail and ordered that he receives all care available to help him combat his ingrained habit of drink driving in the hope that he wouldnt do it again. I believe this would have a greater potential to stop future offending, which would be my primary concern, than a 40 month ban. I would also trust that HMP and the NHS could provide him any medical help that he requires. 

Sadly, after this punishment, I fer this isn't the last we hear of this. I hope to god he doesnt kill or injure himself or anyone else. Good luck to him battling his personal problems and anti-social criminal behaviours. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:51am
Very much with O'Shea here, I would be extremely sceptical that he is likely to repeat this act now and I'm sure the judge feels the same. He needs help and rehabilitation, not punishment. I doubt anybody needs to tell him how reckless his actions have been. Sending someone who appears could be emotionally vulnerable to prison could do him, and society, more harm than good.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:05am
He knocked a fella off a bike and drove into petrol pumps the 1st time. If that didn't knock sense into him then colliding with 4 parked cars won't.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:16am
I don't think the problem had been addressed between the two incidents, I get the impression it will be now.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

I feel with Gibson a stint in jail will be the best form of rehabilitation. Surely a successful rehabilitation program for him is one that stops him driving vehicles whilst incapable through drink or drugs no? It would be the firmest message he could be sent that he needs to cease his repeat offending behaviour. 

I don't buy that we need a person to be injured or killed before a person can be jailed in a scenario such as this. That implies that his rights to help and compassion is higher than a hypothetical victims rights. Not so imo considering he is a repeat offender now.

I am all for rehabilitation in the first instance - I previously took time away from this forum after I advocated that kids who "burnt" a horse in Tallagh needed help and education rather that hanging which was the general consensus on here and got personal abuse for it - but I think Gibson is too far gone and needs locked up in order to aid his rehab. 

As initially mentioned, a point which you didnt address, he can get any help he needs for medical or rehabilitation purposes he needs in jail. 

Hypothetical victims have hypothetical rights. Gibson has actual rights.

Also, victims have no rights to see someone punished any more than society has the right to see him punished. They may have a right to civil redress and certain rights under the victims rights directive but victims have no additional rights to see criminals punished any more than anyone else. If a driver runs you down, you might want to see him sent to jail, but criminal justice is meant to be objective.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:43pm
Very lucky not to see jail time surely, considering his previous. I would presume if something like this happened anytime in future he'd be locked up for a period of time. Such a wasted career. Did I see that Sunderland had only suspended him in an article I read, I thought they cancelled his contract when all of this happened?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Fintan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
YBIG Mods are cool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fintan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Fintan Fintan wrote:

Hypothetical victims have hypothetical rights. Gibson has actual rights.

Also, victims have no rights to see someone punished any more than society has the right to see him punished. They may have a right to civil redress and certain rights under the victims rights directive but victims have no additional rights to see criminals punished any more than anyone else. If a driver runs you down, you might want to see him sent to jail, but criminal justice is meant to be objective.

Aside from lawyering me on one point from numerous opinions re Gibson what are your thoughts on it overall. You make perfect sense on the small point you addressed btw. I see.the logic there now. 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:25pm
Very lucky boy. To do that much damage to that many cars, having previously knocked a cyclist off his bike, he was very lucky to avoid jail.

If he'd done the same thing while disqualified, there'd be no doubt he'd have got a sentence. The fact he had served the first ban helped. Doing this sort of stuff while disqualified is much more likely to lead to a sentence.

On Gibson now though, he clearly needs some manner of health intervention. That's why he wasn't sent to jail and it seems fair enough. I don't really want to comment on it as it is a personal matter and we shouldn't really be discussing someone's mental health on a public forum - all I'll say is that it is a factor that has to be given serious weight by a judge in deciding on any criminal sentence.
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:41pm
well I hope he nevers wear an Ireland jersey again... unless in the back garden with his kids....enough excuses....
Come on Irelind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 243244245246247 250>
  Share Topic