Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=17027
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 9:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Darron Gibson
Posted By: Baldrick
Subject: Darron Gibson
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:45pm
Big game for Gibson tonight.  Lets hope he can step up to the plate. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Replies:
Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:48pm
hope for him he does well

Posted By: MrFantastico
goal...rte what is happening here ?

haha, well done

What a start for him 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:49pm
yeah the sound f**ked that up

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:50pm
itv for me after that 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: MrFantastico
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 1:53pm
yeah kind of ruined the goal for me that

Posted By: Jerryfromkerry
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by NeilMcD NeilMcD wrote:

itv for me after that 

Same for me but over to RTE at half time

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:18pm
Playing very well over all so far, doesnt look overawed by the occasion at all.  Man he has some shot on him.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 2:42pm

I've talked him up for the last 2 years and this season he's proving to me that he's going to be a star. A fantastic talent on our hands.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 4:34pm
Dunphy clearly does'nt rate him....Happy to see him score and doing well.
I think he if plays for Ireland again he needs to get forward abit more and encourage to shoot. A good passer of the ball aswell.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

I've talked him up for the last 2 years and this season he's proving to me that he's going to be a star. A fantastic talent on our hands.

apart from his shot he has been very poor for United.needs to go find his level and only then we could have a decent player on our hands..

-------------
Theres only one sport that matters..

Posted By: Belfast Green
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

apart from his shot he has been very poor for United.needs to go find his level and only then we could have a decent player on our hands..

He's a mile in front of Carrick, if tonight's performance is anything to go by.

Did well i thought,  for a piss poor man u midfield display.

Good to see O'Shea back.

-------------
http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:13am
thought he hit some good passes but is not great in the tackle , needs to improve on that big time , feckin ref ggetting in his way didnt help for hsi second shot

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:16am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

thought he hit some good passes but is not great in the tackle , needs to improve on that big time , feckin ref ggetting in his way didnt help for hsi second shot

...........is the ref getting in the way of your keyboard Rog?..................Thought he should have blasted it instead of side-footing it......as we know he's more than capable

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

...........is the ref getting in the way of your keyboard Rog?..................Thought he should have blasted it instead of side-footing it......as we know he's more than capable

very hard to type , eat cake , give out to germans about supporting bayern munich and also try and do a bit of work at the same time hornet , soemthign has to give.. in this case it was my keyboard skills

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:33am
Never going to be a top player I don't think. If he went to a weaker team it could be exposed even more cause at Utd they can create space for him to have a shot. Against others he might not be so lucky. He needs to work on his game for sure. Can't understand why he doesn't look for the ball more. most of the time he is watching the game

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:50am

We can't be too hard on him lads, you need consecutive games to build up momentum, confidence and experience, he doesn't get enough games.  Mind you he has to better than Carrick, he was woeful, again, last night.  Great goal by Gibbo, he hits a mean long range shot.  Faded badly, but as I say, that's down to lack of continuity of games.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: sledgehammer
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:52am
Watched the game and i have to say he really impressed me, he was comfortable on the ball and his positioning behind Rooney in the first half was impecable. I have doubted in the past but a few of his performance this season has started to change my opinion. Any remember Fletcher and O Shea at 22?? Give the lad some belief and we might have some player on our hands in 2 -3 years

-------------
Up there for thinking. Down there for dancing

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 5:14am
as i have said before fergie and trap both know a player and they both rate him, thats good enough for me , cant wait until he gets a screamer for us , hopefully against russia !!

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:10am

hopefully he can continue to improve and become a regular at united

Him and James McCarthy should be the future of our midfield

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

hopefully he can continue to improve and become a regular at united

Him and James McCarthy should be the future of our midfield

Who's going to win the ball in that midfield though?

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:18am
Jamesy will develop into an all round midfielder in the steven gerrard mould when he builds up a bit more strength i think
or we cud always stick with whelan as an anchor

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:30am

i agree Z,average player who strikes the ball well,never commands midfield like he shud

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:44am
Starts for United today against City

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 7:47am
Has looked way out of his depth in the firast half!

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: durka durka
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 2:38pm
Still young, a loan spell and regular first team football would do him the world of good.

-------------
"Insert Funny Comment"

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by durka durka durka durka wrote:

Still young, a loan spell and regular first team football would do him the world of good.
he had a loan spell with wolves and didnt always get his game -
still i do belive he has alot of offer although he is hit and miss.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:30pm
he is 24 now, not exactly a spring chicken...average at best

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

he is 24 now, not exactly a spring chicken...average at best

Confused Hes only 22........ was born on the 22/10/87

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 6:31pm
Zizu dont let the facts get in the way 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: AndyMc
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 3:12am
I read quotes from him before saying his attitude was bad when he was on loan down there. Not sure if he should be going out on loan while he is playing in champions league quarter finals and big Manchester derbys ?

-------------
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:41am
did he finish the game against City?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:43am

No, he didnt finish the game and was fairly passive in the game aswell...

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Propagandhi
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 1:22pm
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/16/2028745/manchester-united-duo-darron-gibson-and-jonny-evans-looking - http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/16/2028745/manchester-united-duo-darron-gibson-and-jonny-evans-looking  

Darron Gibson and Jonny Evans looking forward to the Celtic friendly for different reasons.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Posted By: Donal Cullen
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 6:55pm
One of the students I am working with is going to the game tonight. Man United through and through and knows his stuff....not bad for a Canadian! Anyroad I asked him to give John O'Shea and Darron Gibson a big kiss on the cheek if he sees them. His reply was "Yeah and if I see Wayne Rooney I'll blow him!". Sad, sad little man!

-------------
There are friendlier places to drink.

Posted By: Donal Cullen
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 12:23pm
Apparently the lad was too drunk to meet any of the players afterwards but did manage to spend the night with a hooker.....and, no, he knows nothing about rugby!

-------------
There are friendlier places to drink.

Posted By: Propagandhi
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 12:18pm
Darron has returned from Man Utd's tour of North America after the death of his Grandmother. My thoughts are with Darron.

-------------
"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why are they bringing books out? 'We got beat in the quarter-finals, I played like sh*t, here's my book'. Who wants to read that? I don't." - Joey Barton

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:57pm
all over twitter that stoke are trying to get him on loan

-------------

Posted By: Propagandhi®
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

It would do him good. He will always be a bit part player at Utd whether he likes it or not.

-------------
"I Shall Not Be Provoked." Propagandhi, 2010

Posted By: Belfast Green
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:12pm

Talk of a six month loan deal, the report said its linked to Anderson's return to fitness.  Never rated Anderson personally & think Gibson offers more than Anderson.

In saying that, i'd be delighted to see Gibson get regular football and hopefully progress, so the loan deal could be a positive move for him.

-------------
http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:05pm

and of course twitter has proved to be really reliable in the past!

South African stadium deaths spring to mind.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: tetsujin1979
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:27pm
denial from Daniel Taylor of the Guardian: http://twitter.com/DTguardian/status/21494137870 - http://twitter.com/DTguardian/status/21494137870
Quote Nothing in the story of Darron Gibson from #MUFC to #Stoke . .

Posted By: AndyMc
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:11pm
He would be in ahead of whelan if he went down there

-------------
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:03am
Good move for him to go to Stoke. Scholesy's last year so Fergie will be trying to get the most from him. And after that there is several players who can play in the centre probably ahead of Gibson. Regular football is what he needs and if was to prove himself as a player at stoke i'd say Ferguson would take him back because he has kept faith in him and seems to see something in Gibson that many others don't.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:11am
Whelan and Gibson in centre mid for Stoke would be good for us

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 7:56am
Manchester United's reserve team manager, former striker, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has high hopes that Derry's Darron Gibson will make a significant progression this year at Old Trafford.

The former Norwegian international said this week that Gibson faces "an important season" but he was confident the central midfield player would rise to the challenge.

When questioned on Gibson's development and potential, Solskjaer claimed that the 2010/11 season would be an important one for the player.

He said: "Darron is good for double figures for goals this year. Last season he scored seven or eight in not too many games so, hopefully, that has given him the appetite to go and push on because I believe he can make an impact this season.

"It's not easy being a young midfielder at Manchester United, but I expect Darron to be playing a big part this year," added Solskjaer.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:54am
Gibson hasn't been named in one squad this season. What's the story?

-------------

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 11:01am
my utd fan mate thinks hes still injured but its strang theres been nothinig offical

Posted By: jb37
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 5:04am
very worrying that he hasnt featured at all to date....

Posted By: devondudley
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 5:33am
he cant be injuried if he came on in the argy game

how that waste of space carrick is anywhere near the utd team is amazing.fergie sticks with his favourites and unless he can become one of fergies then he has no hope.

he is getting to the stage where a loan is no good for him if he aint good enough now in fergies eyes he should move on for good

-------------
But fumble in a greasy till

And add the halfpence to the pence

And pray to shivering prayer, until

You have dried the marrow from the bone.

W. B. Yeats, September 1913

Posted By: The Drifter
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 8:33am
he should go to stoke on loan and then move there permanently. as a united supporter, i'd love if he could break into the side but it's so tough with the pressure to perform at the club huge. but stoke may not take him on loan if they get marc wilson permanently. i just want to see the boy play football week in week out, and he won't get that at united for at least another two years. at least he has it on his cv that he played for united and scored, it should make him a shoe in to sign for another premiership side.

-------------
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.

Posted By: wrestler313
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 12:49pm
agreed CPS, united is just too tough a nut to crack for him but he can still be a very, very good player

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 3:03pm
Gibson will develop more as a player playing for Utd whether he gets his game or not - than going to another team fighting for survival.

I'd like tol see him go on loan to another club in a different country.

As Kevin Moran said he learned more in 1 month about football in Spain than he did in 10 years in Englang.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 6:16am

SCOTLAND star Darren Fletcher has sold his mansion to a teammate - for £1.5million.

The Manchester United midfielder was desperate to sell after his wife Hayley was subjected to a terrifying knife raid there.

Now the property in Bowdon, Greater Manchester, has been bought by United starlet Darron Gibson.

And the Fletchers have moved to a £2.5million house in nearby Hale.

A source said: "Darren put the house on the market last year shortly after the robbery.

"Hayley was left really shaken by the ordeal when she had a knife held to her throat. They installed a hi-tech CCTV system and security system but decided to move to a more private location.

"The six-bedroom house was put on the market for £1.65million while the new camera system was available by separate negotiation.

"But Darron drove a hard bargain and got the house and security system for £1.45million. He is really pleased with it."

The raid on the house took place in February last year when three hooded thugs burst in.

Hayley, who married Darren, 26, earlier this year, had her £10,000 engagement ring ripped off her finger.

The couple's two-year-old twin sons were asleep in another room.

The crooks, dubbed The Away Day Robbers, got away with cash and goods worth more than £150,000.

The raid was the 14th on a footballer's home in Lancashire and Cheshire in three years.

Police fear crooks are striking when stars are playing in away games.

-------------

Posted By: WindBag
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 7:02am
hope he starts on Friday, more creative than green and best passer we have in Ireland squad, pity about his positioning sense

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 7:39am
Originally posted by WindBag WindBag wrote:

hope he starts on Friday, more creative than green and best passer we have in Ireland squad, pity about his positioning sense

Your joking right?
I think Green is a better all round midfielder who looks for the ball and tries to pass it forward.
Gibson has a tendancy to let the game pass him by too much.

Green will definitely get the nod.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 8:34am

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni has explained why http://www.tribalfootball.com/category/leagues/english-premiership/manchester-united - Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson is not in his squad.

Gibson was overlooked for Derby County's Paul Green in victory in Armenia.

He said: "I have no prejudice against any player. You don't need to tell me about Darron's qualities. They are exceptional.

"But he is not playing at the moment and that can affect a player's morale.

"Also, I like my midfielders to be like Gattuso, to be mentally strong and to carry out the little details. I'm not always right but I am happy with how Green played."

-------------

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni has explained why http://www.tribalfootball.com/category/leagues/english-premiership/manchester-united - Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson is not in his squad.

He said: "I have no prejudice against any player. You don't need to tell me about Darron's qualities. They are exceptional.

"Also, I like my midfielders to be like Gattuso, to be mentally strong and to carry out the little details. I'm not always right but I am happy with how Green played."

Quiet right youre not,he was f**king atrocious against armenia

Posted By: Vivakenbarlow
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:31am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni has explained why <ABBR title=""> http://www.tribalfootball.com/category/leagues/english-premiership/manchester-united - [COLOR=#ee9b00 - Manchester United[/COLOR - </ABBR> midfielder Darron Gibson is not in his squad.

Quiet right youre not,he was f**king atrocious against armenia

This gets better and better- im not saying he should publicly knock green but to pick him again and say he was happy with how he played against armenia

-------------
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:53am

Darron Gibson has become embroiled in a war of words with his international boss Giovanni Trapattoni after the Italian suggested he should leave Manchester United.

The Republic of Ireland manager suggested that the Derry man could improve his "hunger" by quitting the Theatre of Dreams.

The 22-year-old was snubbed by Trapattoni in favour of Derby County's Paul Green for Friday night's 1-0 victory over Armenia in Yerevan and he is set to miss out again for tonight's Euro 2012 qualifier against Andorra in the Aviva Stadium.

"If Trapattoni wants me to move on from a club like Manchester United to better my game, move to somewhere like Stoke where I'll get more games, but have little chance of winning anything, then I just don't know," he said.

"Where else would I go from Manchester United? At what club, other than Manchester United, could I go to improve my game?

"To be honest, if he's trying to say that I should move somewhere like Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games, then he's having a laugh.

"To move on from Manchester United just doesn't make sense to me." Gibson admits his lack of first team action with United so far has denied him his second competitive international start, however, he hopes to seize his opportunity when it arrives.

"I have good relationship with Trapattoni," he added.

"We haven't fallen out in anyway. Personally, I just think I haven't been playing (for the Republic of Ireland) because I haven't been playing regularly at club level and he's giving other players the chance that play week in, week out."

The attack-minded midfielder is expected to play a significant part in Manchester United's bid to win back the Premier League title and he wants to help shoot down Andorra, a team ranked 201 in FIFA's world rankings.

"Like I've said before, I've proven what I can do with my performances at Manchester United last season," he said.

"I will be very disappointed if I don't play against Andorra. "I wasn't surprised I didn't play against Armenia, but I was disappointed not to get on.

"At Manchester United I've continued to do the same thing I've done all last season.

"I'm just waiting for my chance to get another run in the team. "It would be great for me if I was to play against Albania, it would be another cap and fingers crossed, I'll get the nod.

"We'll see what happens, but hopefully I can get on and make a difference. "If we play well we should get another three points which would be a great start to the group campaign."

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 7:37am

Darron Gibson has become embroiled in a war of words with his international boss Giovanni Trapattoni after the Italian suggested he should leave Manchester United.

The Republic of Ireland manager suggested that the Derry man could improve his "hunger" by quitting the Theatre of Dreams.

The 22-year-old was snubbed by Trapattoni in favour of Derby County's Paul Green for Friday night's 1-0 victory over Armenia in Yerevan and he is set to miss out again for tonight's Euro 2012 qualifier against Andorra in the Aviva Stadium.

"If Trapattoni wants me to move on from a club like Manchester United to better my game, move to somewhere like Stoke where I'll get more games, but have little chance of winning anything, then I just don't know," he said.

"Where else would I go from Manchester United? At what club, other than Manchester United, could I go to improve my game?

"To be honest, if he's trying to say that I should move somewhere like Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games, then he's having a laugh.

"To move on from Manchester United just doesn't make sense to me." Gibson admits his lack of first team action with United so far has denied him his second competitive international start, however, he hopes to seize his opportunity when it arrives.

"I have good relationship with Trapattoni," he added.

"We haven't fallen out in anyway. Personally, I just think I haven't been playing (for the Republic of Ireland) because I haven't been playing regularly at club level and he's giving other players the chance that play week in, week out."

The attack-minded midfielder is expected to play a significant part in Manchester United's bid to win back the Premier League title and he wants to help shoot down Andorra, a team ranked 201 in FIFA's world rankings.

"Like I've said before, I've proven what I can do with my performances at Manchester United last season," he said.

"I will be very disappointed if I don't play against Andorra. "I wasn't surprised I didn't play against Armenia, but I was disappointed not to get on.

"At Manchester United I've continued to do the same thing I've done all last season.

"I'm just waiting for my chance to get another run in the team. "It would be great for me if I was to play against Albania, it would be another cap and fingers crossed, I'll get the nod.

"We'll see what happens, but hopefully I can get on and make a difference. "If we play well we should get another three points which would be a great start to the group campaign."

didn't know we were playing them tonight as well? trap must be putting something in the waterLOL

-------------

Posted By: billybob
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 7:42am

Gibson should deffo be in ahead of Green.

-------------
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 7:54am
Sometimes the stuff trap comes out with is just idiotic.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:08am

Giovanni Trapattoni has denied reports that he claimed Darron Gibson would have to leave Manchester United in order to further his international career.

Reports claimed over the weekend that http://topics.skysports.com/Darron+Gibson/?section=football - Gibson might have to quit http://topics.skysports.com/Old+Trafford/?section=football - Old Trafford to become a regular in Trapattoni's http://topics.skysports.com/Republic+of+Ireland/?section=football - Republic of Ireland side.

The suggestions earned an angry rebuke from Gibson with the midfielder unhappy that Trapattoni was advising him to leave United, stating the Italian 'must have been having a laugh'.

"If Trapattoni wants me to move on from a club like http://topics.skysports.com/Manchester+United/?section=football - Manchester United to better my game, move to somewhere like Stoke where I'll get more games but have little chance of winning anything, then I just don't know," Gibson told the Derry Journal.

"At what club, other than Manchester United, could I go to improve my game? To be honest, if he's trying to say that I should move somewhere like http://topics.skysports.com/Stoke+City/?section=football - Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games, then he's having a laugh. To move on from Manchester United just doesn't make sense to me."

Confusion

However, after Ireland's 3-1 win over Andorra, Trapattoni moved to clear up the confusion insisting he never suggested for Gibson to find pastures new, but to work harder to establish himself at United.

"What I told him was that, for him, the action is not finished when he does not have the ball," said Trapattoni.

"I told him that in this great team (United) it is not easy to play in this situation because he plays with ten great players and when these great players have the ball they play.

"He must ask for the ball, he must want the ball. That is important.

"He has to work to get the ball. He has fantastic vision and the long ball and he has a good personality with the ball."

-------------

Posted By: Ireland4ever
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 8:11am

Giovanni Trapattoni has denied reports that he claimed Darron Gibson would have to leave Manchester United in order to further his international career.

Reports claimed over the weekend that http://topics.skysports.com/Darron+Gibson/?section=football - Gibson might have to quit http://topics.skysports.com/Old+Trafford/?section=football - Old Trafford to become a regular in Trapattoni's http://topics.skysports.com/Republic+of+Ireland/?section=football - Republic of Ireland side.

The suggestions earned an angry rebuke from Gibson with the midfielder unhappy that Trapattoni was advising him to leave United, stating the Italian 'must have been having a laugh'.

"If Trapattoni wants me to move on from a club like http://topics.skysports.com/Manchester+United/?section=football - Manchester United to better my game, move to somewhere like Stoke where I'll get more games but have little chance of winning anything, then I just don't know," Gibson told the Derry Journal.

"At what club, other than Manchester United, could I go to improve my game? To be honest, if he's trying to say that I should move somewhere like http://topics.skysports.com/Stoke+City/?section=football - Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games, then he's having a laugh. To move on from Manchester United just doesn't make sense to me."

Confusion

However, after Ireland's 3-1 win over Andorra, Trapattoni moved to clear up the confusion insisting he never suggested for Gibson to find pastures new, but to work harder to establish himself at United.

"What I told him was that, for him, the action is not finished when he does not have the ball," said Trapattoni.

"I told him that in this great team (United) it is not easy to play in this situation because he plays with ten great players and when these great players have the ball they play.

"He must ask for the ball, he must want the ball. That is important.

"He has to work to get the ball. He has fantastic vision and the long ball and he has a good personality with the ball."

Thats defiinetly something he needs to do more, he seems to drift in and out of matches without leaving his mark on a match. Doesnt demand the ball enough, which is probably tough given the players he plays with.

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Doesnt demand the ball enough, which is probably tough given the players he plays with.

Every time I watched Gibson, I've felt the same way about him.
He's got a brilliant strike and a neat first touch, however, games all too often seem to pass him by.

When he got on last night, I was hopeful that he would make his mark with some telling passes, but he scarcely got on the ball to do so. This is his problem, both for us and his club, should he stay at Manyoo.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 12:06pm
those comments about stoke might offend glenn whelan and soon to be marc wilson. not good media work on gibson's part.

-------------

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 1:06pm
not a great player. reminds me of liam miller. anonymous in games.

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Royler10
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 1:09pm
I understand why Trap doesnt start Gibson - ie "Big Club Syndrome"...however i would give him starting chance, throw him in the middle against Norway and see what he returns..I reckon eventually Man u will end up loaning him out...

-------------
Briano

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Royler10 Royler10 wrote:

I understand why Trap doesnt start Gibson - ie "Big Club Syndrome"...however i would give him starting chance, throw him in the middle against Norway and see what he returns..I reckon eventually Man u will end up loaning him out...
i hope we don't loan him out. if fergie loans him out, that's it. he ain't a united player anymore. he's been loaned out 3 times already and he's 22 now? it's make or break. i'd love to see him used more in the team but truth is, fergie doesn't have enough confidence in him. he did play against man city and bayern munich last season which were massive games for the club and honestly, gibson had very good games. did what was expected of him and got a goal against bayern and a very good first half. unfortunately, we got too cocky after that and carrick, fell asleep completely. no fault of gibson's that we didn't go through to the semis.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 6:18am

Gibson at odds with Trapattoni view

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/2010/0909/1224278513017_1.jpg">Giovanni%20Trapattoni%20speaking%20with%20midfielder%20Darron%20Gibson.%20Gibson%20has%20baulked%20at%20the%20idea%20of%20leaving%20Manchester%20United%20to%20further%20his%20Republic%20of%20Ireland%20career.Giovanni Trapattoni speaking with midfielder Darron Gibson. Gibson has baulked at the idea of leaving Manchester United to further his Republic of Ireland career.
EMMET MALONE Soccer Correspondent

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND INTERNATIONAL NEWS: DARRON GIBSON may have undermined his chances of reclaiming his place in the Ireland team after appearing to mock Giovanni Trapattoni’s suggestion he might develop more as a player if he were to move away from Old Trafford in search of first-team football.

The Italian observed last week that Gibson had lost out to Paul Green in his team selection for the opening two games of the Republic of Ireland’s Euro qualification campaign because the 27-year-old was more used to having to work for the ball due to the fact he essentially plays week in week out with lesser players around him than the northerner has at Manchester United.

More than once, however, he hinted that the bigger problem is the lack of first team opportunities Gibson enjoys at Old Trafford. The 22-year-old from Derry started just 12 games for United last season and while he came on in almost as many again, Trapattoni would clearly like to see him featuring much more regularly.

On his recent visit to Dublin for the pre-season friendly against a League of Ireland selection, Alex Ferguson was at pains to talk the player’s prospects up, arguing that having chipped in with five goals last year, he could contribute much needed fire-power from midfield if given more regular run-outs.

Since the competitive action has got under way, though, the Scot has not even named the midfielder in his bench for a single game, prompting questions to Trapattoni in the build-up to the last two international games regarding what he believes might be the best way for the player to progress his career.

The manager made it clear he did not want to “tell” the player to move for fear of antagonising Ferguson but made clear his own frustration that a potentially key member of the Ireland squad was not getting the chance to play for his club and that the player could address the situation by moving in order to secure first-team football.

Asked by the Derry Journal in advance of the Andorra game about Trapattoni’s observations, however, Gibson appears to have reacted with a mixture of incredulity and scorn.

In a piece run under the headline “Shut your Trap, Gio”, Gibson is quoted as asking: “Where else would I go from Manchester United? What club, other than Manchester United, could I go to to improve my game?

“To be honest,” he continues, “if he’s trying to say that I should move somewhere like Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games, then he’s having a laugh.

“To move on from Manchester United just doesn’t make sense to me.”

The player subsequently acknowledges his lack of first-team football is an issue on the international front and accepts he was unlikely to start in Armenia because of it.

He goes on, however, to express the hope he would start against Andorra. He didn’t.

He says, however, that having shown what he was capable of for his club last year he is just waiting to get “another run in the team”.

“I have a good relationship with Trapattoni,” he insists. “We haven’t fallen out in any way. Personally, I just think I haven’t been playing (for Ireland) because I haven’t been playing regularly at club level and he’s giving other players the chance that play week in, week out.”

That, as it happens, would seem to be the manager’s point and when Gibson’s quotes were read to Trapattoni at a press conference yesterday morning prior to his return to Italy, his tone was fairly scathing.

“I said before, he’s not my player, I’m not Ferguson,” he said. “But when a young player plays more games, in the first or second league, it increases their personality. It’s not a problem, though; if Gibson wants to stay in Manchester, let him stay in Manchester. It’s not my problem.

“I will continue to ask him but I think also it’s a question of whether he plays or doesn’t play. I cannot have seven or eight players who don’t play for their club. I can’t have such a situation.

“Two other players asked me 20 days ago about opportunities to go to the second league to play and I told them to go, play. He (Gibson) says he wants to stay, that Ferguson helps him; then stay! It’s not my problem.

“But the answer is that he must play. When he stays always on the bench, obviously he is not improving. Manchester is Manchester. There are players with great personalities who play. He must enter this group. Now, he doesn’t play or plays only sometimes because there are other great players but I think that at another club he plays all the time.

“It doesn’t matter whether it is Manchester or Juventus or Milan, when you stay at these great teams it is very important because you play in the league, in Europe . . . but if you stay in this club and play only a few times, you just stay with the shirt, then that is different.

“But I didn’t say whether he should stay or go. Just that if Gibson was at another club maybe he would play 90 minutes, 90 minutes, 90 minutes and he would grow more. He has football in his head and in his legs, it’s beautiful but if he doesn’t play . . .”

Asked about his side’s winning start to the campaign, Trapattoni’s satisfaction was apparent and he said he had congratulated his players before cautioning them against overconfidence.

“I said we’d only played the first two games. Don’t be arrogant. When you become strong, the other teams try to get at you. We cannot think we are the best just because of these two games.”

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:25am
trap is right, as a united and ireland supporter, i still want to see what's best for gibson. it's very difficult to get into the united team at the moment and if he moves, he's guaranteeing himself first team football.
a good move for him if he goes to another club.

-------------

Posted By: billybob
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:28am
Agree with that. Hes not good enough just yet to play for United week in week out and a move to Stoke or Wolves etc would be good for the lad.

-------------
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:27am
a season with another prem team would make him

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 7:23am

Trust Old Trap to offer some career advice to the still relatively obscure Darron Gibson on an issue that is increasingly touching the professional lives of some of the biggest names in the game.

Do they want to play, immerse themselves in the heart and the rhythm of a team, or are they as happy to grow rich without the steady beat of performance that can only come from regular competitive action?

On the face of it, Giovanni Trapattoni was merely suggesting that Gibson would be a far more valuable member of the Republic of Ireland squad if he spent less time watching the veteran Paul Scholes and the likes of Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick from the Manchester United bench or reserve team -- and more developing his talent on the field with the first team of another club, the only place that really counts in the mind of the coach.

Gibson was indignant. He made his breakthrough in an Irish shirt at roughly the time he was beginning to score spectacular goals for United, and naturally the young man wanted it all, the glory and prestige and the huge wages that came with performing at the Theatre of Dreams and also a regular place in the team that Trapattoni took so close to the World Cup finals.

Increasingly, though, the likes of Gibson are required to understand that vital decisions have to be made at an early stage of their professional development. If you operate at a certain level where your raw talent does not command automatic acknowledgement, there is a question mark against that ability to have it all.

Wayne Rooney has invited huge pressure on himself by assuming that his status as one of the world's most gifted players was quite separate from the need to operate his private life with a degree of control and discretion, at least if he wanted to avoid the kind of public examination under which he was put between two notable European Championship qualifying performances for England. His club-mate Gibson's challenge, though, is much more grounded in the game he seeks to play at the highest level.

meltdown

Rooney, short of a meltdown in nerve and commitment, is the first name on the team sheets of his United and England managers, Alex Ferguson and Fabio Capello. Gibson is never likely to enjoy such treatment. His challenge is to impress -- game in, game out -- a man like Trapattoni that he is getting stronger, more aware of every situation that can challenge a young pro.

The bench is not a place to proceed with such an education, nor the training ground. Real progress requires the real thing.

The key Trapattoni quote was: "I said that when younger players play more games or play always in the first or second leagues, it improves their personality, only this. There is no other problem.

"Gibson can stay in Manchester. It's not my problem. I will continue to call him up but I can't have eight players in my team who aren't playing for their clubs."

Of course he can have as few as two, especially if their names are Shay Given and Robbie Keane. But even here, with players of such established performance levels, there will soon enough be a question of sharpness, a worry about the effects of prolonged exclusion from the serious action.

Given may prefer the opulence of Manchester City to the margins of the Premier League with, say, Fulham; he may draw some satisfaction from contemplating the virtues of a rich old age; but if his young City rival Joe Hart continues to project his talent and confidence, for how long will he be content in the twilight zone?

Gibson's current resolve to fight it out at Old Trafford will surely be ultimately complicated by the limited chances he has to inflict his competitive 'personality' on the knowing Trapattoni. Given and Keane have had ample opportunity to do so, but Gibson has had a few opportunities to blossom under most optimum conditions. So far this season he has to yet to appear in the United first team, a situation that is in sharp comparison to one of his rivals for a place in the Irish midfield, Glenn Whelan.

While Gibson sat out the action the weekend before last, the Stoke City player was immersed in the greatest challenge facing any Premier League player -- he was attempting to make an impact on Chelsea, something he did with a driving performance and one shot which rattled the crossbar.

Stoke was the club that was put to Gibson as a possible route to more regular first-team football and he was aghast at the suggestion that he could learn more in a team not noted for its sophistication than the one that includes men like Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Trapattoni's point, of course, is that it is not merely a question of learning; it is doing, making the mistakes, but marching on with a greater certainty about what you have do when the pressure is greatest.

That applied to Stoke cruelly at times when Chelsea were besieging their goal, but Whelan was notable for the relish and strength he brought to the battle.

Rightly or wrongly, Gibson creates the suspicion that he may be looking at his life and his football from the perspective of someone who believes the big tests have already been passed. He certainly offers an airy rejection of any suggestion that he would be better off in the Potteries learning how to win tackles rather than staying at United and winning games. But if this was a vanity, it was unlikely to impress Trapattoni.

The old coach is plainly immovable on the most basic of points. Just as fighters must fight, football players must play football. Gibson wondered whether the old man was "having a laugh".

If he is wise, he will not waste further time on such speculation. It would be as futile as spending too much time on the bench, wherever that happens to be.

- James Lawton

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:53pm
Are you watching Trappatoni?

While Gibson is Man United's biggest threat so far vs Rangers in the Champions League, Paul Green is playing in a Derby team who are currently losing to Hull!

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 2:59pm

Are you watching Trappatoni?

While Gibson is Man United's biggest threat so far vs Rangers in the Champions League, Paul Green is playing in a Derby team who are currently losing to Hull!

A: How do you know Paul Green is running the show against Hull? Are you watching the game?

B: Rangers are in the SPL although They would probably be a decent championship side.

C: The only difference between the opposition is the champions league ball, Johnny Foreigner is the ref and Gibson has decent players around him.

-------------
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG

Posted By: The Count
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 4:00pm
heard gibson wasnt great tonight?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 4:41pm

heard gibson wasnt great tonight?

Was probably United's best player.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:02pm
I thought Gibson was very good tonite. Couldnt have done much more. It wasnt his fault Utd were so inept.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: city4life
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:11pm
gibson played well tonight pity trap still wont pick him he prefers no talent muckers that "play" for hull and derby and cudnt make 1 pass between them!

Posted By: darragh1888
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:32pm
gibson did well 2nite, very unlucky that some of those greaat strikes didnt go in for him!

-------------
"26 + 6 = 1, No Surrender"

Posted By: davekoolhill
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 5:51pm
Gibson did well tonight.

I think those shots can be lethal. I'd say he will get a good few games this year at united.

Could be in with a shout to play in uniteds next premiership match.

-------------
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveOGrady1" rel="nofollow - DaveOGrady1

Posted By: The Boy Z
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Gibson did well tonight. I think those shots can be lethal. I'd say he will get a good few games this year at united.Could be in with a shout to play in uniteds next premiership match.

if Gibson starts United's next match I promise never to post on this forum again.

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 6:35pm

If Scholes isn't playing Gibson will play otherwise he won't get near the team.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 6:56pm

Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Gibson did well tonight. I think those shots can be lethal. I'd say he will get a good few games this year at united.Could be in with a shout to play in uniteds next premiership match.

if Gibson starts United's next match I promise never to post on this forum again.

Well i think man utd play liverpool this sunday, so we'l be seein u on this forum next week!

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 1:59am
bar 6 or 7 shots at goal he did fuk all, was average IMO

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 2:37am
watched it with a man u lad ( i.e someone from manchester ) we both thought gibson was excellent , the man u lad said he prefers gibson to carrick , pity he didnt score with one of those shots, its becoming a real trade mark

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 3:16am

watched it with a man u lad ( i.e someone from manchester ) we both thought gibson was excellent , the man u lad said he prefers gibson to carrick , pity he didnt score with one of those shots, its becoming a real trade mark
thought he started well,needs to hit the target more often with them,caught 2 or 3 on the button but were off target

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 3:27am
his passing was good too , long ones and short ones , rarely going astray

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 5:37am
Gibson got the highest rating for any of the Utd players.
http://www.goal.com/en/match/50380/man-utd-vs-rangers/player-ratings - http://www.goal.com/en/match/50380/man-utd-vs-rangers/player-ratings

Teamtalk Your Say also give a mixed bag for Gibson.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Tweetering
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 6:02am
On guardian football, there were several comments from United fans, saying that they don't rate Gibson, and that he would be better suited to a non top 4 club. 

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 6:04am

Would agree with that Tweetering

Team like sunland would suit him more.Never gonna be a regular manu player

Posted By: city4life
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 7:38am
he is not a top 4 player but what the hell is green?useless thats what!gibson way better.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 9:10am
have lost faith in green , gibson far better going by current form

-------------

Posted By: Billy O'Toole
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 1:13pm
Paul Hyland in the Herald tonight saying how good he was v Rangers last nightConfused..and Trap should sit up and take note...unbelievable slow news day for Paul

-------------
Ybig holy jaysus - 4 points for Gerk & Count

Posted By: garytwigg21
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 1:26pm
Thought he played well last night, few decent passes and good long range shots that he nearly scored with. Can't see how Trap continues with Green over him at this stage, the only conclusion i can come to is if he was playing more games that there would be no contest. Might get a run in the United team with the form their on at the moment which can only help his cause for inclusion Thumbs%20Up.

-------------
This time next year........

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 4:48pm
Gibson had a good game last night i thought, without setting the world alight. He passed at the right times whereas before he would shoot far too often. Nearly had a couple of goals from long range too. I had a lot of doubts about him but he has been making steady progress. Ferguson obviously rates him or he wouldn't start him in a Champions League opener. There will be more first team opportunities for him at United and if you look at the improvement Darren Fletcher has made there compared to how he was 3/4 years ago it's easy to see how Gibson could yet develop into an excellent player.

If he puts in another couple of solid performances he really should be pushing for a starting place ahead of Green for Russia, but Trap's stubbornness might prevent that happening.

May i suggest the Loan to Stoke part be taken out of this thread title - looks off the cards now.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net