You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 104>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I'd sooner see Kenny in charge for the Nations League and World Cup qualifiers. But it would be very difficult to deny a manager the chance to manage at a tournament he'd qualified us for if we were to get there.  If he was to offer to forgoe his exit payment and take that as a years salary that would complicate things further, there's a years salary there. 

There was a part of me that wanted Kenny to see the 21s campaign through and lead them into the finals if they qualified. Purely from the perspective of getting the experience of a finals camp with that squad of players. Think that could be valuable in terms of when they come through to senior. God knows when that tournament will take place now though.

Can see this being a very tricky situation. 

But when will the under-21 finals take place? That suddenly won't suit Stephen kenny's timeline then.

I'm of the opinion that if the playoff doesn't go ahead in June then mick is out the door. 

Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'd sooner see Kenny in charge for the Nations League and World Cup qualifiers. But it would be very difficult to deny a manager the chance to manage at a tournament he'd qualified us for if we were to get there.  If he was to offer to forgoe his exit payment and take that as a years salary that would complicate things further, there's a years salary there. 

There was a part of me that wanted Kenny to see the 21s campaign through and lead them into the finals if they qualified. Purely from the perspective of getting the experience of a finals camp with that squad of players. Think that could be valuable in terms of when they come through to senior. God knows when that tournament will take place now though.

Can see this being a very tricky situation. 

But when will the under-21 finals take place? That suddenly won't suit Stephen kenny's timeline then.

I'm of the opinion that if the playoff doesn't go ahead in June then mick is out the door. 

??? 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 12:13pm
I can't really understand how anyone can say Mick will be unlucky to not take the team to the Euros etc
The man has been paid millions and the Danish manager is saying he is set not to take his qualified team to the euros so there is a precedent already. 

It is time for the FAI to take a decision about what is best for Irish football ruthlessly. I did not see Mick offering to to give up his ridiculous 'exit bonus' in a financial crisis. I don't see him offering to give up his bonus in a second crisis. The media talking about fairness to a man who has failed miserably and been totally overpaid (Croatian manager get 400k-600k year for example) in the process is mind boggling.

He had a contract... we fulfilled the terms. Good luck in your future Mick. It really isn't any more difficult than that. 
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

I can't really understand how anyone can say Mick will be unlucky to not take the team to the Euros etc
The man has been paid millions and the Danish manager is saying he is set not to take his qualified team to the euros so there is a precedent already. 

It is time for the FAI to take a decision about what is best for Irish football ruthlessly. I did not see Mick offering to to give up his ridiculous 'exit bonus' in a financial crisis. I don't see him offering to give up his bonus in a second crisis. The media talking about fairness to a man who has failed miserably and been totally overpaid (Croatian manager get 400k-600k year for example) in the process is mind boggling.

He had a contract... we fulfilled the terms. Good luck in your future Mick. It really isn't any more difficult than that. 

The Danish manager is retiring so it's nothing the same. 

It's not as straightforward as you indicate either. He's supossed to be very popular with the squad for right or wrong so they may not want to change if they qualify with him. No one is certain about the terms of the contract either, with the way contracts were being drawn up in the old regime I'd be amazed if it's watertight or doesn't have contradictions in it. And should he qualify then he won't have failed. 

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 18 Mar 2020 at 1:16pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:16pm
maybe co-managers?

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

maybe co-managers?

Recipe for disaster...
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 1:45pm

The Danish manager is retiring so it's nothing the same. 

It's not as straightforward as you indicate either. He's supossed to be very popular with the squad for right or wrong so they may not want to change if they qualify with him. No one is certain about the terms of the contract either, with the way contracts were being drawn up in the old regime I'd be amazed if it's watertight or doesn't have contradictions in it. And should he qualify then he won't have failed. 

I think players will get over it pretty fast as long as they are selected. He has already failed. These qualifiers through the nations league had absolutely nothing to do with his work. I like Mick as a man but I really just want him gone and would even prefer Kenny to take the playoffs. I just want a manager who will go to win and not wait for things to happen. I really don't see any clamor among the Irish public for Mick to stay on out of fairness either as the media would put it. It is time to move on and do our best to bring a young team to the Euros if at all possible. I have no sympathy when he is getting paid over 4 million to do the job he has done in this climate.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

We were ranked third and finished third. Realistically, with Denmark and Switzerland in the group, above that would have been a bonus. Unrealistic supporter expectation is a problem  - and a big hurdle for Stephen Kenny. Many want Mick gone asap. As they also wanted McCarthy (first stint) gone, Staunton/Robson gone, Kerr gone, Trapattoni gone, O'Neill/Keane gone. Interim managers Givens and King gone. 

But best of luck, Stephen. Full steam ahead and f**k the iceberg.

OK we should just accept a manager who will look to draw his way through qualifying and try make us accept a draw in Georgia is a good result now and the manner in which we beat Gibraltar wasn't slightly terrifying. I can accept a manager who finishes third while trying to have a go at Denmark and Switzerland and going there to win games not pray for 0-0. 
Mick's first go to was "We haven't got the players" which to me is just a cowardly strategy to manage expectations on him while throwing his players under the bus. Mick is trying to play yesterdays football and football has passed him by long ago. Is Kenny the messiah? no, but he will have a go with a fresh squad not littered with journeymen and will not tell his players they are not good enough. That will do for me.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:43am
I don't blame McCarthy totally at all. I mean he didn't appoint himself. But the irish soccer economy has been a top heavy incentivisation of degenerecy for years. For eg Bielsa took over a poor leeds squad and coached them out of it and earned around the same money as Mick. Thats is the definition of insanity.Lots of good things happening now and I think the senior team should play an aspirational style of football we are in all our age groups. I mean I am just looking at this thinking there are plenty of players who are past their sell by date in terms of age profile with young lads who need the experience as soon as possible to develop (Whelan vs Molumby). Playing the like of collins etc is insanity as his ceiling is so low.  He has probably peaked as a bottom of the league championship club player.  bite the bullet now and throw one of the young forwards in instead of paying double later. Most international teams have recognised this. We are playing Glen Whelan when his career is over, not to slate the lad but its just reality. Anyway to say we dont have the players when we have plenty of players at the top level is to diminish what a top class coach can do... which is plenty.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:49am
Mr Brick with another handful of ridiculous comments.

McCarty sets the teams tactical approach to games and a lot of irish fans are critical of that approach and consider it negative and not very effective. 

The Denmark manager also criticised irelands tactical approach as ugly. However bad the tactics are, it they are effective then you can accept that the games are not entertaining to watch. But they are clearly not effective nor are they entertaining. 

This has been the same under various manager for nearly ten years, from trap, o'Neill and now McCarthy. I agree that we dont have world class players but neither do a lot of teams and they dont play toxic football like us.

To also suggest that we are ranked 3rd and that it would only be a bonus if we did better is an astonishing ridiculous position.

I for one would like to see us approach games differently now, I'm not suggesting we'll even be a better team but maybe let's not keep trying the same thing and expect different results.

If we lose, let's learn from it and get better.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 10:39am
I’m not disputing those figures, but where are you getting them from? It is quite difficult to get exact figures, especially outside the biggest clubs and franchises.

As for the other points; teams that brought through the youth together weren’t given a mandate to try and qualify at all costs. They also had, in most cases at least, more players ready to step up together. We didn’t. This was a campaign too soon for the majority of our u-21 team, as good as it potentially is.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 11:47am

I don't blame McCarthy totally at all. I mean he didn't appoint himself. But the irish soccer economy has been a top heavy incentivisation of degenerecy for years. For eg Bielsa took over a poor leeds squad and coached them out of it and earned around the same money as Mick. Thats is the definition of insanity.Lots of good things happening now and I think the senior team should play an aspirational style of football we are in all our age groups. I mean I am just looking at this thinking there are plenty of players who are past their sell by date in terms of age profile with young lads who need the experience as soon as possible to develop (Whelan vs Molumby). Playing the like of collins etc is insanity as his ceiling is so low.  He has probably peaked as a bottom of the league championship club player.  bite the bullet now and throw one of the young forwards in instead of paying double later. Most international teams have recognised this. We are playing Glen Whelan when his career is over, not to slate the lad but its just reality. Anyway to say we dont have the players when we have plenty of players at the top level is to diminish what a top class coach can do... which is plenty.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, although "top heavy incentivisation of degenerecy" put me on the ropes. Molumby is promising but raw. We've been up, down and all around here about Glenn Whelan. Whether you agree with him being there or not  - he was one of our best players. Wages in football generally are out the window. McCarthy getting £1.2 million bothers you but Hogan earns £1.8m, Greg Cunningham £1.1m, Harry Artur £2m, Callum Robinson £1.3m. Even Kevin Long at Blackburn earns 1.2m. Paul Lambert probably gets more for not doing a very good job managing Ipswich. 

I have made the point Croatia pay 4-600k for their manager and If you stop time and say well Whelan has been solid so it was the right decision we will be in this situation again in 5 years if we keep doing this over and over. Players get silly wages no doubt  but we are overpaying by a wide margin and we are not paying thise wages the clubs are, i have a problem because that is huge money to the grassroots. The leaving bonus that pays 10 times what our league champions get. I mean thats insane. Bringing McCarthy in and paying something like 4.5 mill when we get what? 7 mill if we qualify now? We were 3rd seeds. You pay a man that much ? When you express both as a percentage vs chances of qualifying...he is a total failure and it was a terrible gamble. Appointing Stephen Kenny for 400k a year with no leaving bonus / 7 million Uefa money... you dont have to be a gambling man to realise how re*arded Delaney was.  The most shocking thing is John Delaney's qualification is supposedly accountancy. 

Edited by Nialler - 19 Mar 2020 at 11:57am
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 1:40pm
I think you're being a little pessimistic there Brick. This generation will do a lot better than previous ones. I reckon the Irish setup would be disappointed if at least 4 or 5 don't play to a high standard for a decent period of time - Connolly and Obafemi already making breakthrough in the PL at a young age and there's high hopes for Parrott, Molumby, Collins, Knight, O'Shea, Bazunu, Idah.

I hate saying it because things usually blow up in my face, but in my humble opinion, this is our best crop by a mile since late 90's (Keane, Duff, Harte etc).

That's not even mentioning the 19's, 17's and 15's who are doing very well too. I'd like to think that behind the scenes, we seem to be doing something right with our coaching finally.
Suffering weather-wise
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 1:58pm
It's very easy to predict a negative outcome, because no matter how a player turns out, you can just say they didn't turn out to be "as good as we'd hoped". "As good as we'd hoped" is a fairly vacuous concept though, short of us producing a team of messi and Ronaldo's, there'll always be those who'll argue we've underachieved.
We're decent enough..
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 2:09pm

"To also suggest that we are ranked 3rd and that it would only be a bonus if we did better is an astonishing ridiculous position."
Nothing astonishing or ridiculous. We were ranked third and we finished third.

For the 2016 Euro Qualifiers, NI were ranked 5th in our group.

We ended up finishing top, something which had never been done before by any team, with 6 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat (away to Romania).

I mention this because in an interview the other day, Michael O'Neill admitted that on taking over the NI job:

"In my heart of hearts, I didn't believe Northern Ireland had a strong enough squad to qualify for a tournament. I didn't think we had enough players at a high enough level to qualify, but I did think we could be competitive."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51933114

Make of that what you will.

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 2:14pm
Sure whats the point in playing matches if you have to settle for your finishing position according to your ranking?
Rankings are fluid for a reason.
Sport is about striving to be better than you are, not being happy with the status quo.  Mick coming out with statements like ''if you had offered me a draw in Georgia before the campaign started I'd have bitten your hand off'' is beyond embarrassing.

Edited by Trap junior - 19 Mar 2020 at 2:18pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Jebediah Springfield Jebediah Springfield wrote:

I think you're being a little pessimistic there Brick. This generation will do a lot better than previous ones. I reckon the Irish setup would be disappointed if at least 4 or 5 don't play to a high standard for a decent period of time - Connolly and Obafemi already making breakthrough in the PL at a young age and there's high hopes for Parrott, Molumby, Collins, Knight, O'Shea, Bazunu, Idah.

I hate saying it because things usually blow up in my face, but in my humble opinion, this is our best crop by a mile since late 90's (Keane, Duff, Harte etc).

That's not even mentioning the 19's, 17's and 15's who are doing very well too. I'd like to think that behind the scenes, we seem to be doing something right with our coaching finally.

I think people often forget that during 1997-1999 our underage teams were performing exceptionally well. In subsequent qualification tournaments, with players drawn from the teams that came 3rd in Malaysia and won in Scotland and Cyprus we qualified for three tournaments, made the play offs for two other ones, and were in it until the last day for two more tournaments. 2014 and 2008 were the only tournaments after 1998 that we failed to be in the shake up at the end.

The change in fortunes of our Under 21s has been a real reason for excitement as has performances at younger ages. I appreciate what happened 20 years ago is not necessarily relevant, but our positive time at youth level gave rise to a decent group of players that we did well with.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

"To also suggest that we are ranked 3rd and that it would only be a bonus if we did better is an astonishing ridiculous position."
Nothing astonishing or ridiculous. We were ranked third and we finished third.

For the 2016 Euro Qualifiers, NI were ranked 5th in our group.

We ended up finishing top, something which had never been done before by any team, with 6 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat (away to Romania).

I mention this because in an interview the other day, Michael O'Neill admitted that on taking over the NI job:

"In my heart of hearts, I didn't believe Northern Ireland had a strong enough squad to qualify for a tournament. I didn't think we had enough players at a high enough level to qualify, but I did think we could be competitive."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51933114

Make of that what you will.

It shows O'Neill is a fantastic man manager and has punched well above his weight with a limited bunch.
He's created a specific structure/style utilising players abilities and created a never say die attitude in the camp.

We had the same spirit in buckets throughout Mick's first reign leading to WC qualification in 2002, in a very tough group with Portugal and the Dutch, written off by the Press aka Group of Death; but qualified via Tehran.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 104>
  Share Topic