Forum Description: All ROI International Team forums
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=16961
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 9:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mick McCarthy
Posted By: Gaz
Subject: Mick McCarthy
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:07pm
Was watching the notts forest v Cardiff match there and Mick was commenting on it with some other lad. Chopra gets booked and the following conversation occurs:

commentator 1: 'micheal chopra and his strike partner have now received 12 bookings each'

Mick: 'really? So they have 27 bookings between them?'

commentator 1: 'no Mick, that would be 24 bookings'

what a fooking legend

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Replies:
Posted By: The Saint
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:09pm
good man Mick

-------------
FAIlure

Good shot, lovely ............ oh good jaysus

Posted By: irelandshirts
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:20pm
mick is a ledgend and a gent.

-------------
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Posted By: BigPodge
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:00pm
D'oh!!

-------------

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:17pm
I don't get it

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Citizen
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:58pm
Confused

-------------
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)

Posted By: nui0304
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Was watching the notts forest v Cardiff match there and Mick was commenting on it with some other lad. Chopra gets booked and the following conversation occurs:

commentator 1: 'micheal chopra and his strike partner have now received 12 bookings each'

Mick: 'really? So they have 27 bookings between them?'

commentator 1: 'no Mick, that would be 24 bookings'

what a fooking legend

brilliant!Big%20smileLOL

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 3:59pm
LOLLOL

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: kevjreilly
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I don't get it

ha you serious
mick has always been a numbers genius... no.1 gary breen no.2 gary breenWinkLOLLOL

-------------
Read it 3 times before posting

Posted By: Darren
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 5:32pm
In fairness this was said after they were saying that Boothroyd (the other Cardiff forward) was on target for 15 bookings, so maybe Mick had this in his mind. He is a smart, decent and genuinely funny bloke - would defo beat McAteer on Mastermind

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 5:56pm
i dont know what tracker mortgage is

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 3:33am

Before the over brown-nosing towards Mick continues, this is the man who told Denis Irwin to "prove himself" prior to an international match, this one of the most decorated Irish players in history, with shedloads of caps and one of the finest fullbacks in the history of the Premier League.............like Mick alot, but this was insulting to Dinny at the time.

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 3:44am
not to mention he didnt know spain had only 10 players on the park...

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 4:04am
Great manager - plays a lovely style of ball.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:09am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

not to mention he didnt know spain had only 10 players on the park...

Like all geniuses he has his flaws Rog

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:11am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Before the over brown-nosing towards Mick continues, this is the man who told Denis Irwin to "prove himself" prior to an international match, this one of the most decorated Irish players in history, with shedloads of caps and one of the finest fullbacks in the history of the Premier League.............like Mick alot, but this was insulting to Dinny at the time.

Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: Ireland4ever
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:42am
Did anyone else find it odd that a premier league manager was co-commentating on a Championship match?

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Ireland4ever Ireland4ever wrote:

Did anyone else find it odd that a premier league manager was co-commentating on a Championship match?

No not reallyThumbs%20Up

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: MayoMark
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:19pm
Mick Clap

-------------
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:54am

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:55am
https://www.facebook.com/eireguide/photos/a.823346054409848.1073741828.814533345291119/1170648903012893/?type=3&theater" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/eireguide/photos/a.823346054409848.1073741828.814533345291119/1170648903012893/?type=3&theater

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 5:11pm
That's f**king gas. Mick the Tree McCarthy 

-------------

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

That's f**king gas. Mick the Tree McCarthy 

How long did it take ya to come up with that gem Bob?

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:41pm
Think his time at Ipswich could be coming to an end.

Under pressure with his meh season and 2-1 down to conference side Lincoln in the FA Cup.

Posted By: doherty
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:10pm
Ended 2-2 but id say he might not be there much longer.

Posted By: pre Madonna
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:19pm
I know a couple of Ipswich season ticket holders and they say the fans have wanted him out for most of the season as they don't like his route 1 football. I think a lot of Ipswich fans are slightly deluded and living in the past, they don't seem to realise that Ipswich have one of the smallest budgets in the division and that he is constantly papering over the cracks. He replaced Murphy with Leon Best as an example. The football might not be pretty but it can be hard to play like Barcelona on a limited budget

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:22pm
The Tractor Boys complaining about agricultural footballErmm

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I know a couple of Ipswich season ticket holders and they say the fans have wanted him out for most of the season as they don't like his route 1 football. I think a lot of Ipswich fans are slightly deluded and living in the past, they don't seem to realise that Ipswich have one of the smallest budgets in the division and that he is constantly papering over the cracks. He replaced Murphy with Leon Best as an example. The football might not be pretty but it can be hard to play like Barcelona on a limited budget

Ipswich fans are completely aware that they've been financially broke ever since that debut season in the Premier League in the 90's, I had to research what's actually gone so badly wrong for them this season but it appears it's the whole of 2016 where things have started going wrong not just since August. I found the following;

0.8 goals per game in 2016
29/36 games at Home without scoring within the first 55 minutes

I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty bleak regardless what financial situation you're in.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:42pm
Well their owner marcus evans isnt short of a few pound. Hes loaded.

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Well their owner marcus evans isnt short of a few pound. Hes loaded.

He bought that huge debt off and charges interest on the club!

No wonder they're so skint when their Chairman is siphoning any reserves into his pocket!

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 7:14am

Have it on pretty good authority that when Daryl Murphy left Ipswich, he wasn't expecting McCarthy to last much longer there, due to behind the scenes issues (nothing to do with that particular transfer, they got on well & presumably still do to an extent, more to do with with general financial issues at the club). 

That squad/team has stagnated, in his 4 and a bit years, Mick has got them into the playoffs a few times, then was forced to sell his better players (likes of Mings & Murphy), I think the remainder of the mainly experienced championship pros & quite possibly McCarthy himself, have realised they aren't good enough to go any further, in effect, he is a dead man walking, no fault of his own, but it seems to be just a matter of timing at this stage as to when the inevitable divorce occurs. 

Mick has enough credit in the bank to pick up another job at some point, especially in a division he has generally done exceptionally well in, as for Ipswich & their fans, ya couldn't be quite as sure. Be careful what ya wish for & all that. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: Drumcondra 69er
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Have it on pretty good authority that when Daryl Murphy left Ipswich, he wasn't expecting McCarthy to last much longer there, due to behind the scenes issues (nothing to do with that particular transfer, they got on well & presumably still do to an extent, more to do with with general financial issues at the club). 

That squad/team has stagnated, in his 4 and a bit years, Mick has got them into the playoffs a few times, then was forced to sell his better players (likes of Mings & Murphy), I think the remainder of the mainly experienced championship pros & quite possibly McCarthy himself, have realised they aren't good enough to go any further, in effect, he is a dead man walking, no fault of his own, but it seems to be just a matter of timing at this stage as to when the inevitable divorce occurs. 

Mick has enough credit in the bank to pick up another job at some point, especially in a division he has generally done exceptionally well in, as for Ipswich & their fans, ya couldn't be quite as sure. Be careful what ya wish for & all that. 

Yeah, if and when McCarthy goes, I'd expect Ipswich to end up in a relegation scrap. He's done exceptionally well with zero budget there, I don't think anyone would do any better and think whoever succeeds him will undoubtedly do worse.

-------------
Blog: http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 1:17pm

Yeah that seems to be the size of it, Mick isn't going to throw the towel in and they won't sack him for as long as possible. Within six months of him leaving they will probably want him back as they find themselves heading for league one.

-------------
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 2:49pm
He's been unlucky that he's never got to manage a side with a strong academy with a stream of players coming through. He is pretty poor in the transfer market. I can't think of one outstanding signing he made at Millwall, Wolves, Sunderland or Ipswich although to be fair, he has never had a huge budget to work with. The effect he has had at every club he has managed has fizzled out after a few seasons. He won't struggle to get another job but I can't see him turning things around now at Ipswich unless there is a major cash injection. 

Posted By: DeclanDaly
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

He's been unlucky that he's never got to manage a side with a strong academy with a stream of players coming through. He is pretty poor in the transfer market. I can't think of one outstanding signing he made at Millwall, Wolves, Sunderland or Ipswich although to be fair, he has never had a huge budget to work with. The effect he has had at every club he has managed has fizzled out after a few seasons. He won't struggle to get another job but I can't see him turning things around now at Ipswich unless there is a major cash injection. 

I agree with you generally, although you'd have to say McCarthy has done very well with signings at Ipswich. He brought Murphy and McGoldrick back from the dead and they nearly got him back in the premier league. He's generally poor with a transfer budget though.

-------------
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Eh. Managing clubs on peanuts money is his area of expertise. 
What he did at Sunderland is so extremely under-rated that anyone who plays it down does deserve a slap across the face.
The job he took on was a club about 18 months away from administration, which would lead to penalties, assets being sold off left right and centre just to keep the club in the black never mind in the Championship and with those resources he managed a FA Cup semi-final and a Promotion the following season, forget the Premiership and what happened that season, the TV money alone actually saved the club from disaster.

He had his chance to deal with proper investment at Wolves.

He needs a Chairman who is willing to invest some cash back into the club, not some businessman who charges interest on a club already in 9 figures of debt.

Always a legend Mick is Clap

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:57pm
Goodbye Mick. LOL

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:57pm
Curtains for him you would have to think if it stays like this 

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Curtains for him you would have to think if it stays like this 
Certainly looks that way. I can see Ipswich being a league 1 side in the next 18 months.

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Goodbye Mick. LOL
cant say im particulalrly amused that such a fate awaits our former captain/manager and a great servant for us overall.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Goodbye Mick. LOL
cant say im particulalrly amused that such a fate awaits our former captain/manager and a great servant for us overall.

Lighten up pal Thumbs Up

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:12pm
Mick was an is a great man and manager. The problem at Ipswich is money and stagnation. Also the departures of Aaron Cresswell, Ty Mings, and Darryl Murphy has not helped.

But given the current state of mind of the fans, and tonight's result it will be significant faith the board will vest in him if they decide to keep with him

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:16pm

Goodbye Mick. LOL

Lighten up pal Thumbs Up
Im perfectly 'lightened up'. I just dont see whats funny about it is all.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:19pm

Goodbye Mick. LOL

Lighten up pal Thumbs Up

The fact his team was massively outplayed by a team 55 positions lower than his.

Infact, it wasn't funny, it was hilarious.

Does it have to matter which person was on the losing side for it to be less funny? Lighten up pal.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:34pm

Goodbye Mick. LOL

Lighten up pal Thumbs Up

The fact his team was massively outplayed by a team 55 positions lower than his.

Infact, it wasn't funny, it was hilarious.

Does it have to matter which person was on the losing side for it to be less funny? Lighten up pal.

oh right.

Posted By: gazurtoids
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:54pm
Stayed at Ipswich far too long, stagnated....there was a time when he'd be talked up for any top Championship job, not anymore yesterdays man

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Stayed at Ipswich far too long, stagnated....there was a time when he'd be talked up for any top Championship job, not anymore yesterdays man

Nonsense. 7th last season and play offs the year before on a shoestring. Struggled for half a season this year after having his best players consistently sold from under him. Still be plenty of championship chairmen happy to take a punt on him.

-------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/" rel="nofollow - A False First XI

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:11am

At the rate the championship lads get sacked (gone to less than 18 months now), he will be absolutely grand, if things fall right for him he might even get a new job the same week. Look at Neil Warnock, no idea how many times he has retired now, but because he has a decent record in getting into playoffs, and last season with Rotherham, avoiding relegation, clubs come looking for him all the time. 

Looking at where Rotherham are now without him, I can see Ipswich heading for that end of the table quicker than McCarthy .

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Nonsense. 7th last season and play offs the year before on a shoestring. Struggled for half a season this year after having his best players consistently sold from under him. Still be plenty of championship chairmen happy to take a punt on him.
Exactly, he will be seen in the same light as Warnock. I would wager that McCarthy will still be knocking around the championship for the next few years, I can't say that about Ipswich with the same certainty.

Anyway, we are all being very presumptuous, he might still be there at the weekend, having lost the supporters it does feel like it is a matter of time though.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:17am

At the rate the championship lads get sacked (gone to less than 18 months now), he will be absolutely grand, if things fall right for him he might even get a new job the same week. Look at Neil Warnock, no idea how many times he has retired now, but because he has a decent record in getting into playoffs, and last season with Rotherham, avoiding relegation, clubs come looking for him all the time. 

Looking at where Rotherham are now without him, I can see Ipswich heading for that end of the table quicker than McCarthy .

The difference between Warnock and McCarthy though is that Warnock has a purpose - He's the king of the Championship. 
McCarthy as I said last page is very good on a squad on a limited budget, but there is no club currently who fits that criteria. 

The Championship has evolved into mass panic overspending in hope they'll get the £100 million for getting promoted or simply avoiding relegation, no one says at the start of the season right we'll go for mid-table.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 12:35am

The difference between Warnock and McCarthy though is that Warnock has a purpose - He's the king of the Championship. 
McCarthy as I said last page is very good on a squad on a limited budget, but there is no club currently who fits that criteria. 

The Championship has evolved into mass panic overspending in hope they'll get the £100 million for getting promoted or simply avoiding relegation, no one says at the start of the season right we'll go for mid-table.
You think Rotherham, Burton Albion, Bristol City, Preston, Barnsley, Brentford etc are all overspending to reach the premier league? Now that is funny.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:03am

You think Rotherham, Burton Albion, Bristol City, Preston, Barnsley, Brentford etc are all overspending to reach the premier league? Now that is funny.

Or relegation avoiding. Every team you just listed except Brentford started the season fighting relegation.

Congratulations on cutting half the post out. You may pass go, you may collect 200 idiot points.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 1:21am

Or relegation avoiding. Every team you just listed except Brentford started the season fighting relegation.

Congratulations on cutting half the post out. You may pass go, you may collect 200 idiot points.
Firstly, you have called me an idiot in a post you opened with ';'Or relegation avoiding''. As a sentence. You said there is no club with a limited budget,(at least I think that is what you were trying to say, it isn't crystal clear) I gave you several. I don't know how you start a season fighting relegation; surely every team does? The fans of Ipswich were probably expecting to try and be 'relegation avoiding' when Mick McCarthy took over, seeing as they were rock bottom and hadn't won in 12 matches.
 I also very much doubt the fans of Preston or Bristol City expected anything other than a season of mid-table mediocrity. For what it is worth, Preston, Brentford and Barnsley had roughly the same odds for promotion and relegation. The bookies expected them all to finish somewhere between 11th and 16th, alongside Ipswich. I would expect fans of  Fulham, Huddersfield, Birmingham etc  all expected similar. I would imagine if any of the clubs I have mentioned lost their manager in the morning and Mick McCarthy was available I would expect he would be on the shortlist, with the exception of the mad house that is Birmingham!

-------------

Posted By: Double Maxim
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:58am
Loking bleak for Mick Ipswich should be careful who they wish for.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/867784045?-1060:818:0" rel="nofollow - FA Cup round-up: Mick McCarthy on the bacon slicer as Ipswich stunned

-------------
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:30pm
Great interview with the big man on Off The Ball at the moment, just done his playing career, about to start on his managerial career with Ireland now.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 5:02pm
Just looking back at Mick's first team as Manager in 96 v Russia.

Shay's debut and Roy as Captain and sent off LOL

Kernaghan Dead

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper https://www.11v11.com/players/shay-given-388/" rel="nofollow - Defender https://www.11v11.com/players/alan-kernaghan-3723/" rel="nofollow - Defender https://www.11v11.com/players/steve-staunton-291/" rel="nofollow - Defender/Midfielder https://www.11v11.com/players/paul-mcgrath-28090/" rel="nofollow - Defender/Left back https://www.11v11.com/players/terry-phelan-631/" rel="nofollow - Midfielder https://www.11v11.com/players/roy-keane-327/" rel="nofollow - Midfielder https://www.11v11.com/players/jason-mcateer-1834/" rel="nofollow - Midfielder https://www.11v11.com/players/andy-townsend-2557/" rel="nofollow - Midfielder/Forward https://www.11v11.com/players/mark-kennedy-1616/" rel="nofollow - Forward https://www.11v11.com/players/john-aldridge-32158/" rel="nofollow - Forward https://www.11v11.com/players/niall-quinn-478/" rel="nofollow -

Substitutions:

Jeff Kenna for Andy Townsend46
Tony Cascarino for John Aldridge61
Tommy Coyne for Niall Quinn83

Cards:

Roy Keane88R

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 6:12pm
McCarthy didn't even look at Keane as he walked off the pitch. Disgraceful conduct from Keane as a captain in a friendly and all.

It must've been very difficult for McCarthy when he had a captain that clearly didn't respect him but was more or less unstoppable.

No matter how staunchly pro Roy Keane you are, his commitment to Ireland left a lot to be desired as a player (off the pitch) especially when he was the captain.

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 9:41pm
Ipswich won 4 3 at Millwall tonight three league wins on the trot great start to the season for Mick.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 10:42pm
Yeah im pleased for mick. Great start. Dont think they have enough quality to keep it up but ya never know. Would love to see him get at least a playoff spot.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 10:43pm
Mick for EIRE

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 8:39am
3 wins from 3 for his Ipswich side aided by an all Rangers attack

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: smart man
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:08pm
Great start but needs to push on this season or could b his last. There a few seasons now. Hope it works out for him.

-------------
alive and kicking

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by smart man smart man wrote:

Great start but needs to push on this season or could b his last. There a few seasons now. Hope it works out for him.
Ipswich have one of the smallest budgets in the division, consistently selling players and replacing them with cheaper options, he has done extremely well to keep them out of any relegation battles. The problem is though, their fans still think they should be challenging for promotion every season and playing like Brazil '70. 

-------------

Posted By: Het-field
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Just looking back at Mick's first team as Manager in 96 v Russia.

Shay's debut and Roy as Captain and sent off LOL

Kernaghan Dead

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper https://www.11v11.com/players/shay-given-388/" rel="nofollow - Defender https://www.11v11.com/players/alan-kernaghan-3723/" rel="nofollow - Defender https://www.11v11.com/players/steve-staunton-291/" rel="nofollow - Defender/Midfielder https://www.11v11.com/players/paul-mcgrath-28090/" rel="nofollow - Defender/Left back https://www.11v11.com/players/terry-phelan-631/" rel="nofollow - Midfielder https://www.11v11.com/players/roy-keane-327/" rel="nofollow - Midfielder https://www.11v11.com/players/jason-mcateer-1834/" rel="nofollow - Midfielder https://www.11v11.com/players/andy-townsend-2557/" rel="nofollow - Midfielder/Forward https://www.11v11.com/players/mark-kennedy-1616/" rel="nofollow - Forward https://www.11v11.com/players/john-aldridge-32158/" rel="nofollow - Forward https://www.11v11.com/players/niall-quinn-478/" rel="nofollow -

Substitutions:

Jeff Kenna for Andy Townsend46
Tony Cascarino for John Aldridge61
Tommy Coyne for Niall Quinn83

Cards:

Roy Keane88R

It is interesting to look back on that team which played three months after the game at Anfield. It was more naturally set up, and I recall in spite of losing 2-0 we missed a penalty, had a goal disallowed, and also hit the post. Would Euro 96 have happened had that team played at Anfield?

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 4:01pm
He's keen on coming back anyway:

McCarthy, who ended a six-year spell as Ipswich boss earlier this year, added that he would love a chance to take charge of the team again.

"If their contracts came to an end in two years’ time and the job is available and I’m out of work, I would love it again," he said.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:03pm
Just the sort of appointment you would expect JD to go for.

Good luck to Mick when he is confirmed as the new manager.

-------------

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:09pm
Think it was a fairly obvious appointment especially as Euro 2020 qualification is essential considering we are a host nation. Kenny would have been seen as a risk.

-------------
The only way is up

Posted By: Stickittotheman
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Mick for EIRE

Trap junior the PROPHET

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Posted By: Ibaraki
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Think it was a fairly obvious appointment especially as Euro 2020 qualification is essential considering we are a host nation. Kenny would have been seen as a risk.

So qualification is just a formality now with Mick? 

Posted By: grannyrule
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

So qualification is just a formality now with Mick? 

Far better chance with him than Kenny IMO. 

-------------
The only way is up

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:22pm
If he gets us to the Euros then he will deserve a statue.

He is a very likeable fella, I'd love him to get us there and lay down a foundation for Qatar, I just cannot see the former happening, unless he really starts digging out a few Irish relatives of decent footballers.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm

He is a very likeable fella, I'd love him to get us there and lay down a foundation for Qatar, I just cannot see the former happening, unless he really starts digging out a few Irish relatives of decent footballers.

The foundation is there for a decent enough side if the right man gets them organized at the very least. We need a kind draw in qualification of course but if we are lucky and get say Switzerland and Czech Republic or Poland and Ukraine we should have a chance. The draw is absolutely key though.

-------------
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
I disagree, obviously I hope I'm wrong. I think Mick will improve us, but we are a long way short of even the average teams mentioned there.

-------------

Posted By: Strazdas
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:35pm
Interview with McCarthy from September where he talks about what has been up to of late, Ireland plus the Arter and Rice situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmqeWSeG9Y" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmqeWSeG9Y

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

The foundation is there for a decent enough side if the right man gets them organized at the very least. We need a kind draw in qualification of course but if we are lucky and get say Switzerland and Czech Republic or Poland and Ukraine we should have a chance. The draw is absolutely key though.

Switzerland?? The same Switzerland that just outplayed and hammered Belgium ya mean?

Posted By: Maccatacca
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:36pm
I think our fortune could depend on how the fixture list is laid out.

An opening game at home to the 4th/5th seeds followed be an away against the 6th seeds would be great for our confidence at the start.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:39pm

I disagree, obviously I hope I'm wrong. I think Mick will improve us, but we are a long way short of even the average teams mentioned there.

Agree its the poorest Irish team I've seen in my lifetime.

-------------

Posted By: DangerHere
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

An opening game at home to the 4th/5th seeds followed be an away against the 6th seeds would be great for our confidence at the start.

In 2002 quals it worked out great starting off with aways against the 2 top teams...but I agree...and nice home game against Gibraltar or somebody to start off and get some goals after 4 games would be delightful

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Switzerland?? The same Switzerland that just outplayed and hammered Belgium ya mean?

Yip that Switzerland, also the team incredibly fortunate to defeat the North in the play off. They were no great shakes at the World cup either. Their win against Belgium was hugely impressive but more probably a fluke- 2-0 up in 20mins Belgium switched off and never switched back on. Great result though to be fair.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:45pm

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

In 2002 quals it worked out great starting off with aways against the 2 top teams...but I agree...and nice home game against Gibraltar or somebody to start off and get some goals after 4 games would be delightful

Our chances against half decent teams second seed sides, and the lower pot 1 teams could really depend on us building up a nice string of momentum on the way. 

Can anyone recall if Mick had us pressing teams and putting pressure on them in their own half, that type of style built on a solid start could see us beating teams who are better than us - at home especially.

The team to draw in Pot 1 as of now is Poland - they are in a period of transition like ourselves. 

People will scoff at this one, but England would be my second choice from Pot 1. I think due to the nature of a derby game, we could win a point at home that the 2nd / 4th seed teams will not. 

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:48pm

Yip that Switzerland, also the team incredibly fortunate to defeat the North in the play off. They were no great shakes at the World cup either. Their win against Belgium was hugely impressive but more probably a fluke- 2-0 up in 20mins Belgium switched off and never switched back on. Great result though to be fair.
Switzerland are better than Denmark and Wales...

-------------

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:49pm
Disappointed in this appointment but not surprised. At least something to look forward to.

Has to start his first press conference by taking the pressure off the players and not lining up his excuses. We need confidence put back into the team 

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:50pm

Switzerland are better than Denmark and Wales...

Yeah but they are first seeds while Denmark and Wales are second.

They are miles ahead of us, but we'd have a better chance of getting one or two points off them than we would against France or Spain - even one point against the top seed could be difference between finishing ahead of the pot 2 or not.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
We would get nothing off the Swiss, unless the have Denmark's attitude and are happy with a draw.

-------------

Posted By: AbuAbu
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
I would be happy enough with Mick. We played good football under him and I like the way he does his business. Team always very organised .........even if the balls didn't turn up in SaipanCensored

-------------
It's not me it's you:-)

Posted By: zizu Kilbane
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:57pm
In fairness to MON, he got out to his fair share of LOI games. This is something Mick won't do and Kenny obviously would 

-------------
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:59pm
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The pool of players has decreased and the players coming from some LOI sides would be of higher quality.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
I would still prefer Kenny to get the job but I can understand the reasoning of the FAI siding with McCarthy over Kenny. The new manager is straight into a qualifying campaign and one thing McCarthy holds an advantage over Kenny is experience of that sort of big occasion. 

McCarthy is a short term fix. I haven't a huge problem with it but still would prefer Kenny coming in and creating long term structures. Had we be going into a year featuring fixtures like the one just gone then it would be an absolute no brainer to hire Kenny but given the magnitude of games I do understand them siding with McCarthy.

Like McCarthy wouldn't be the worst because at least he works with the team and they know what he wants from them in games. You can guarantee all 11 will be going out on the pitch knowing what they're meant to be doing at least. They'll have a game plan which is one thing we have lacked in recent times.

It would be great to see Lee Carsley and/or Steven Reid involved in any new setup. Even one at senior as part of coaching staff and one as u21 manager would be a huge boost for Irish football.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Given's zimmerframe
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
wenger in

Posted By: Charlton's Child
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

In fairness to MON, he got out to his fair share of LOI games. This is something Mick won't do and Kenny obviously would 

Yea agree with this I can see him getting to many. But will probable be a more visible figure at games in England the MON or Keane where. 

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Interview with McCarthy from September where he talks about what has been up to of late, Ireland plus the Arter and Rice situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmqeWSeG9Y" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmqeWSeG9Y

Good interview. I'm feeling more confident regarding our prospects for Euro 2020.

Cheers for posting. 

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: mully_85
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:45pm
what style of play does like his teams to play??? what formation does he prefer??? what will his backroom staff makeup and coaches be??? will be be able to work with what we have and maximum the potential of the squad??

and what has he done in the last few years to really deserve the job??? 

seems like a lazy outdated choice to me.... it just didnt work towards the end of his first reign did it. maybe football has moved on for him too.... bound to be better options out there

Posted By: kearney304
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:48pm
I asked this as well, was only a young pup when he was in charge. 

Posted By: OohAah...
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:57pm
Not a done deal, Kenny is also in for talks http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1122/1012682-return-of-the-mick-mccarthy-to-be-offered-ireland-job/" rel="nofollow -
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1122/1012682-return-of-the-mick-mccarthy-to-be-offered-ireland-job/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1122/1012682-return-of-the-mick-mccarthy-to-be-offered-ireland-job/

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Good interview. I'm feeling more confident regarding our prospects for Euro 2020.

Cheers for posting. 

No problem Smile

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Not a done deal, Kenny is also in for talks http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1122/1012682-return-of-the-mick-mccarthy-to-be-offered-ireland-job/" rel="nofollow -
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1122/1012682-return-of-the-mick-mccarthy-to-be-offered-ireland-job/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1122/1012682-return-of-the-mick-mccarthy-to-be-offered-ireland-job/

Good to see the FAI pursuing both avenues. Let them pitch their ideas on the future of Irish football and then make the decision.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 6:18pm

Interesting! Has someone jumped the gun a bit? Heard McCarthy would talk to the FAI in Dublin this weekend and assumed this meant he was to be offered the job and not realised there are others in the fray?

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 6:33pm

Interesting! Has someone jumped the gun a bit? Heard McCarthy would talk to the FAI in Dublin this weekend and assumed this meant he was to be offered the job and not realised there are others in the fray?

Short term deal to end of Euros for McCarthy with a succession plan involving Kenny after that maybe? 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Short term deal to end of Euros for McCarthy with a succession plan involving Kenny after that maybe? 

That'd be f**king ridiculous IMO 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 6:46pm
Six one news reporting that Kenny is still in the frame. They seem to have doubled back on the earlier McCarthy story Clap

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net