You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 104>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by Jebediah Springfield Jebediah Springfield wrote:

If the playoff goes ahead in June this year and we qualify, then the FAI have an issue. A year paying two managers?

Unfortunately, I don't think either will happen. I sincerely hope I'm wrong on every level.

Surely Kenny won't be happy to be delayed a year. But then again, this is unprecedented and we all need to be flexible, not just the football world. Hundreds of thousands actually losing their jobs in Ireland may give everyone some perspective.

Strange times.

June playoffs perfect scenario for FAI.

We get knocked out, Mick goes. We get through and he stays as FAI have a war chest from qualification to fund his lofty salary unless there is a restriction on managerial salaries under bail out conditions

What happens if world cup qualifying games start before euro 2021?

Does Mick just stay in the gig then? 

Edited by Banjaxed - 17 Mar 2020 at 3:06pm
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 4:09pm
Perhaps it could be a case of We qualify and Mick stays on to complete the cycle while Kenny stays on to complete the cycle with the U21s.

When does WC qualifying start? is March 2021?
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 5:59pm
Should we qualify for the euros it will be a year between qualification and the tournament. if mick is still in charge it will be interesting to see how loyal he is to the players who got him qualified..

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Perhaps it could be a case of We qualify and Mick stays on to complete the cycle while Kenny stays on to complete the cycle with the U21s.

Micks a keen cyclist. On his bike me thinks!
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 6:54pm

Correct World Cup qualifying starts in March 2021. For me it’s Slán go fóill Mick.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:14pm
Niall Quinn keeping his cards close to his chest. No other choice in fairness.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 7:16pm
Knowing Mick he will insist that this is his campaign and will want to stay on.  I can't see Quinn telling him no.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Correct World Cup qualifying starts in March 2021. For me it’s Slán go fóill Mick.
National 
League due to start in September 2020, and this forms part of WC qualification. Actual qualifying commences in early 2021. Will the NL start before Euro 2021 ? 

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 9:53pm
I find it hard to believe even the play-off will go ahead in June. There might be slim chance that there might be some behind closed doors game but definitely not a playoff under normal circumstances.

If the game doesn't go ahead in June then I think Mick is gone. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I find it hard to believe even the play-off will go ahead in June. There might be slim chance that there might be some behind closed doors game but definitely not a playoff under normal circumstances.

If the game doesn't go ahead in June then I think Mick is gone. 

f**k all chance of them going ahead in June.  We will be at the height of the emergency at that time.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Knowing Mick he will insist that this is his campaign and will want to stay on.  I can't see Quinn telling him no.
Aye McCarthy  will hang around like a bad smell and a new round of FAI cronyism will begin. Him and Quinn are tight.
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:12pm
I can’t see any way Mick walks away with a playoff for a championship In front of him.
And to be fair I can’t see why anyone would.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:15pm
Kenny is far cheaper than McCarthy.  That will be the determining factor unfortunately.  The correct decision for the wrong reason I suspect. 
AKA pedantic kunt
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:42pm
On the off chance we do qualify then the extra year might give some of our up and coming propects a chance to really come into the reckoning. Same if playoffs dont happen in June and get pushed out.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by Jebediah Springfield Jebediah Springfield wrote:

If the playoff goes ahead in June this year and we qualify, then the FAI have an issue. A year paying two managers?

Unfortunately, I don't think either will happen. I sincerely hope I'm wrong on every level.

Surely Kenny won't be happy to be delayed a year. But then again, this is unprecedented and we all need to be flexible, not just the football world. Hundreds of thousands actually losing their jobs in Ireland may give everyone some perspective.

Strange times.

June playoffs perfect scenario for FAI.

We get knocked out, Mick goes. We get through and he stays as FAI have a war chest from qualification to fund his lofty salary unless there is a restriction on managerial salaries under bail out conditions

What happens if world cup qualifying games start before euro 2021?

Does Mick just stay in the gig then? 

Probably. Would I agree? No, I don’t think Mick has done anything to warrant a contract extension under any circumstances. Regardless of where we finished in the group we were going to a playoff and he didn’t exactly inspire confidence of coming through a playoff given our performances.

These playoffs have a slim chance at best of going ahead in June which makes the decision that big harder for the FAI
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 7:04am
Micks tenure has been a failure.  He accomplished nothing. We were essentially qualified for the playoff before he arrived so to call the playoff "his" is just wrong.

It's time to move on. There will most likely be both the Nations League and one or two WC qualifiers before the next euros. Mick should not be in charge for any of that.

Edited by E2016 - 18 Mar 2020 at 7:05am
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

How come, given presumably nobody here has seen either man's contract, and there aren't any contract legal people on this thread (that I'm aware of) lads are so certain ''Mick stays to finish'' or ''Kenny takes over'' ?

Maybe there is an actual specific expiry date for Mick, in which case he is gone, but if there is any ambiguity in the contract, it is probably going to be one for various legal teams to sort out should the FAI not be able to. Difficult position for all concerned to be fair. 

I agree that it's unlikely that anyone here has visibility of the contract T&Cs and I would expect an informal agreement between FAI Kenny and Mick will be agreed.

I think it could go either way at this point

They mentioned his contract running till August on the news last night. On that basis it will require a renegotiation in order for him to be in charge for the Euros next year. It seems more likely that Kenny will take over whenever we are back playing games again.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:07am
I'd sooner see Kenny in charge for the Nations League and World Cup qualifiers. But it would be very difficult to deny a manager the chance to manage at a tournament he'd qualified us for if we were to get there.  If he was to offer to forgoe his exit payment and take that as a years salary that would complicate things further, there's a years salary there. 

There was a part of me that wanted Kenny to see the 21s campaign through and lead them into the finals if they qualified. Purely from the perspective of getting the experience of a finals camp with that squad of players. Think that could be valuable in terms of when they come through to senior. God knows when that tournament will take place now though.

Can see this being a very tricky situation. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 104>
  Share Topic