You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 104>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 1:43pm
My previous post on this was based on what I have read about it. I confirm that I have not had sight of the contract myself but time limits are normally specified and do not encompass get-outs for the likes of natural disasters, pandemics, plagues of locusts, nuclear wars, etc. but if anyone has seen it or has an impeccable source, then I bow to their superior knowledge.
Sponsored Links

Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 1:51pm
I cannot imagine a contract without an end date. I've dealt with many working contracts and I've never seen one without a specified end date. There may be a clause 'with possible extension' but it should have an end date. Then again, this is the FAI so who knows.
Suffering weather-wise
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 1:54pm
Ok so the truth is that we don't know what impact the rescheduling of the tournament will be with regards to the McCarthy contract.

And we probably wont know until 

1. The tournament has been officially rescheduled 
2. Fai have discussed options with McCarthy
3. The option to stay on has been made and agreed with McCarthy  or not made at all

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 2:27pm
There will be an agreement to stay on until its finished if it gets postponed. 
Kenny wouldn't force the hand, imagine coming in like that.

Unless Mick was looking forward to sailing off into the sunset in July
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 2:56pm
Kenny probably won’t want his first real match or two to be failing to qualify for a major tournament anyway. Puts too much pressure on him from the get go. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 3:02pm
Why would the FAI extend Mick's contract beyond July? It's not as if it's going all that terribly well. Mick's going to continue to invoke Einstein's definition of insanity; picking the same team with the same underperforming players, set up in the same dysfunctional way. We won't qualify under McCarthy, and surely the FAI are as aware of this as we are. A change of approach at least gives us some sort of chance.

And why would Kenny agree to such an extension? He's signed a contract effective from August and should fully expect it to be honoured.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 3:06pm
If mick is going to stay for another year, he's not going to do it for free.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Why would the FAI extend Mick's contract beyond July? It's not as if it's going all that terribly well. Mick's going to continue to invoke Einstein's definition of insanity; picking the same team with the same underperforming players, set up in the same dysfunctional way. We won't qualify under McCarthy, and surely the FAI are as aware of this as we are. A change of approach at least gives us some sort of chance.

And why would Kenny agree to such an extension? He's signed a contract effective from August and should fully expect it to be honoured.

we finished 3 points off qualification and could well have qualified had we beaten the Danes in our last game?

You might not like the football or the philosophy but to suggest it didn't go all that terribly well is even more insane.

If we had had scored a goal more then the Danes we would have gone to the Euros, if we draw 0-0 with Slovakia and North/Bosnia but win on penalties we qualify.

Who gives a crap how we do it?

You sound similar to Michael Owen giving out about Atletico Madrid beating Liverpool. It might not have been pretty but they won.

Edited by lassassinblanc - 13 Mar 2020 at 3:28pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 3:18pm
Maybe if Doherty hadn't of switched off for the Danish goal we wouldn't have to play the play offs - it's all ifs and buts.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Maybe if Doherty hadn't of switched off for the Danish goal we wouldn't have to play the play offs - it's all ifs and buts.

My point exactly.

We weren't as the previous poster suggests a million miles away from qualifying.

PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 3:58pm
if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. Too late for ifs and buts. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. Too late for ifs and buts. 
It would depend how she identified.
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 4:22pm
The FAI gave John Delaney an Executive role in 2019 without a contract so who knows what their contracts may or may not say
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 4:27pm
exactly and to be honest at this time there are far more important things going on now than who manages Ireland.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

My point exactly.

We weren't as the previous poster suggests a million miles away from qualifying.

Achievement for ireland seems to have gone from qualifying for tournaments to just not being a million miles away from qualifying...

I think what people are talking about more than anything else (well me anyway) is the underperformance of players that do ok for their clubs and the lack of tactical variation. Ie lump it long...

I'll be the first to say that players we have now are not as good as previous generations but they can definitely play better than recent performances.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

exactly and to be honest at this time there are far more important things going on now than who manages Ireland.
It is at times like this you need a distraction. I never get this idea that because there is a horrendous event happening that you have to block out things you enjoy. Are we meant to hold a candlelight vigil and a rosary? Or are we to join TJ in the cupboard!
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 5:03pm
All of this could well be the precursor to the three days and nights of darkness prophesied by such holy sages as Anna Maria Taigi and Padre Pio. During this time, the only light that will function will be from blessed candles ( not the standard factory made ones ) as no man made light will work. Sounds reasonable but...what exactly are you supposed to light them with, then ?
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 5:33pm
The Irish football team have had 3 years of no light. No biggie. 
Suffering weather-wise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 104>
  Share Topic