You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 104>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:17am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Always liked Mick but yeah, looking forward to a new era. I didnt expect him to be so irritable/grumpy this time around. Seems to be a prior condition if you're 60+ and in international football management. 

A difficult task for him given the short term nature of the deal, i just would have expected a little more scope (10-15%) when it came to the football. Little change from MONs tenure apart from a greater camaraderie and bantz perhaps. But that was never going to be hard. 

That sums up my thoughts on McCarthy. Always liked him, but his second tenure has been underwhelming and some of his comments in press conferences have been similar to the negativity that we saw from Trap and O’Neill.

Sponsored Links

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:24am
So we win the playoff semi and final > how do we feel about Mick then?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:27am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Still like him?

I'd be delighted to have another summer with Ireland in tournament football but the whole back door thing is a complete mockery of a system. If you're out, you're out. It's desperate. I'd have nearly preferred a rebuild. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:31am

Obviously everyone is rooting for that but it's not much of an achievement to qualify via this route. 

If we do qualify would also have an air of euro 2012 about it in the sense that we are going to be lambs to the slaughter as everyone will know our starting team, how we play and will dispatch of us comfortably. 
Here we go again
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:39am
We need to win to be honest. The fans deserve it, the FAI need it and tournaments are quality.

However, this campaign has proved to me that football is changing and Mick has been far too negative. In games where we could have almost secured qualification he was even more negative. At times you have to take risks. 

He will be slaughtered in the media but I do hope the fans give Kenny time, I'm genuinely excited.

Imagine us trying to play football? It won't be perfect but I'm 100% it will be better. 

We had great nights under all the previous managers but I'd prefer to be on the edge of my seat watching us rather than biting my nails hoping we scrap something. 

And we can finally bin "it's the 70th min, let's go for it"

Slovakia should be a good trip, would love Bosnia as well a few days later. 

Sign off the campaign with a cracking atmosphere > we literally have nothing to lose.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Still like him?

I'd be delighted to have another summer with Ireland in tournament football but the whole back door thing is a complete mockery of a system. If you're out, you're out. It's desperate. I'd have nearly preferred a rebuild. 
This. I have little or no interest in this Euros, it’s farcical.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:43am

We need to win to be honest. The fans deserve it, the FAI need it and tournaments are quality.

However, this campaign has proved to me that football is changing and Mick has been far too negative. In games where we could have almost secured qualification he was even more negative. At times you have to take risks. 

He will be slaughtered in the media but I do hope the fans give Kenny time, I'm genuinely excited.

Imagine us trying to play football? It won't be perfect but I'm 100% it will be better. 

We had great nights under all the previous managers but I'd prefer to be on the edge of my seat watching us rather than biting my nails hoping we scrap something. 

Sign off the campaign with a cracking atmosphere > we literally have nothing to lose.

Why do the fans deserve it? I always find this kind of thinking odd and self-congratulatory.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Why do the fans deserve it? I always find this kind of thinking odd and self-congratulatory.

I hate this. All the back slapping bollox about "the greatest fans in the world". Our home ground has all the atmosphere of a morgue on most matchdays and we have a collection of about 3 songs. Granted the away support is generally very good. 
An Argentinian lad joined my football team last Summer as he was studying English here. This fella was football daft, a big Boca fan. I asked him "Why Ireland?" and he said part of the reason he chose here was looking at online clips of all fans in Euro 2016. He thought we had a large band of good-natured ultras which sounded great to him. I was actually embarrassed when he told me that he got tickets for the New Zealand friendly as I knew it would be a ghost town. Not exactly the Bombonera on derby day. 

I also despise those stupid online articles with headlines like "Check out this Irish Mammy with the most Irish reaction to her Irish son telling her an Irish Irish IrishIrishIrishIrish....." Fook off. 
El Puto Amo
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:31am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I hate this. All the back slapping bollox about "the greatest fans in the world". Our home ground has all the atmosphere of a morgue on most matchdays and we have a collection of about 3 songs. Granted the away support is generally very good. 
An Argentinian lad joined my football team last Summer as he was studying English here. This fella was football daft, a big Boca fan. I asked him "Why Ireland?" and he said part of the reason he chose here was looking at online clips of all fans in Euro 2016. He thought we had a large band of good-natured ultras which sounded great to him. I was actually embarrassed when he told me that he got tickets for the New Zealand friendly as I knew it would be a ghost town. Not exactly the Bombonera on derby day. 

I also despise those stupid online articles with headlines like "Check out this Irish Mammy with the most Irish reaction to her Irish son telling her an Irish Irish IrishIrishIrishIrish....." Fook off. 

LOL

Spot on. Some of the self congratulating nonsense that went viral during Euro 2016 was embarrassing! Lullabying a baby to sleep and singing to nuns on a train, absolute LEGENDS

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:35am

i         was   most      disappointed      after i           SAW EURO      ON ESPN latin   AMERICA
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

i         was   most      disappointed      after i           SAW EURO      ON ESPN latin   AMERICA

That Argentinian lad probably moved to Ireland in the hope of seeing the mystical EUNAN O'KANE in action.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Trap Junior:

Please stop bellyaching about the current set-up. You're giving misery a bad name. McCarthy is not a great manager, but he's not the worst. We are certainly not a great team, but also not the worst. Those we face are no great shakes either. Very beatable. 

Mick's legacy is on the line - he'll have a red-hot go. Get behind the team or don't watch the matches. Stop saying you'd maybe prefer Ireland to lose. Your golden era under Kenny beckons. Then you'll be the dog that caught the car.

PS: Is your blood type B Negative?

Eh where did I say I'd prefer us to lose FFS?Confused
I said I don't mind losing as long as we are positive and go about things correctly you eejit.  I can live with that.  I don't like us playing absolute rubbish and not playing to win and not winning. 

You talk as if we are getting results and doing fine the way things are.  We aren't.  We finished 3rd.  Exactly where you would expect.  We had only one win in reality against Georgia at home and barely won that game. Our performances were poor to boot.  Worse McCarthy played with very little ambition.  Delighted to take a draw away to Georgia was embarrassing.  
Mick did well in his first stint where he brought through young players and got us playing attractive football and we used to beat most teams at home.  Now he is this conservative dinosaur afraid to blood anyone young and afraid to take any risks. 

And yes I am looking forward to Kenny. Not because he is a messiah. But he won;t talk down the team and say we should be delighted with draws away to Georgia.

Splitting hairs. You said you "don’t mind" Ireland losing if they played “correctly”.  You’ve covered all bases now. Ireland win ugly, lose ugly or draw ugly  - you have it covered. Ireland win “correctly”, lose “correctly” or draw “correctly” - well, that's covered too. Somehow, you'll be right. Congratulations in advance. 

Whatchu talkin bout Willis!

Are you as thick as your name suggests?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

That Argentinian lad probably moved to Ireland in the hope of seeing the mystical EUNAN O'KANE in action.

hE     WANTED    to   see   THAT BOY    MASON    in         action
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:01pm

LOLLOLLOL

Exactly the kind of sh*te you'd see on joefcukwit.ie 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:06pm

This is not what I mean and maybe I wasn't clear. 

So there is a group of maybe 500 that go home and away (as best as they can) and we watch Ireland play utter sh*te. 

Regardless of the online social media rubbish you see a tournament is a tournament, is it not ultimately the carrot for any international team?

For me personally the last campaign was horrendous as was the campaign before that but playing France at the Euros in the last 16 was unbelievable from a fans perspective. I was never at a World Cup, I may never get to go with Ireland in it anyways so of course this is why I would like to go to a tournament. Also with this format it means another day out in Spain and our trips don't end in March. 

If this is not the pinnacle for a fan then I don't know what is. 

Just my opinion. I love away days > a tournament is an extended version of that. 

Of course you have the bandwagoners etc but f**k it, it's why we go on these crazy trips - to have that end goal 

Edited by kearney304 - 12 Feb 2020 at 12:07pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:14pm
Personally, I feel not qualifying for the extended Euros really kicks you into the doldrums with some really poor teams. Traditionally, we’d have the beating of Slovakia, Bosnia and Northern Ireland. In fact in all recent competitive games against these teams we would have qualified over two legs (albeit Slovakia would be an away goals win in 10/11). Now, we’re just not sure. My point is, now we are scrabbling with the third tier, and if we end up staying at home, it will be alongside a very select group of teams that you don’t want to be associated with.

Qualifying for Euro 16 made us competitors again, along with the wins over Germany, Bosnia, and Italy, the comebacks against Poland and Germany, and then the subsequent wins in Wales and Austria and draws in Denmark and Serbia. We were within an hour of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup. So far, we’ve failed at two chances at qualifying and there is potential for a third.

We need to be there for the sake of respectability, especially as we try to grow under Kenny.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

LOL the level of stupidity on this forum from certain posters is a sight to behold.

Don’t be holding back Hans.
Name and shame!

What team/formation would you pick sir that would qualify us for the Euro’s?

I wasn't commenting on anyone discussing potential lineups, or rightly criticising what has gone on in the past year in a woeful campaign.

I was commenting on certain posters continually going on about Brazil 1982, and how we will win every game under footballing God Stephen Kenny. These people are complete morons. It's as simple as that.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:20pm

You’re some man Hans. You use outrageous hyperbole to mock other people’s perceived hyperbole 
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 104>
  Share Topic