Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 104>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

I have just cancelled my trip spare ticket going a begging, we have absolutely no chance, nada, zilch, zero, we won’t touch the ball we will hide on the bus and just hope Duffy scores for us with a clearing header, micks a spoof a dinosaur wouldn’t pick his nose, maybe an sos to ybig for that bit of tactical cunning that 1 or 2 might have, see if they can take a couple of days off from their office job to help the cause LOLLOL

I'll take it and I'll give your regards to MickLOL
LOL at least the ticket would be in good hands LOL I’ve no doubt I will see ya in Slovakia Thumbs Up

Cheers Daithi! Hopefully!Thumbs Up
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

yes and we’ll be having the same arguments.
Hendrick was missing in that midfield.
McClean was a headless chicken losing the ball 20 times out of 25 times he got the ball.
Whelan tried but was limited.
McGoldrick had no support.
Etc.

If you look at the video of McClean of losing the ball x amount of times, some were him crossing ball into the box, getting tackled whilst and the ball going out for an Ireland throw etc...

From what I recall of watching it, I thought it was a very disingenuous statistic.

C'mon horse! Mcclean crosses the ball a lot in ireland games but such is the lack of quality, he only has 3 assists in 72 odd games one of the assists vs Gibraltar and one in a friendly vs usa. For a wide player that's terrible.

Mcclean gives 100% but a lot of what he does is wasteful.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:00pm
His assist assists are very good though.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:31pm
Unpopular opinion but Doherty is an accident waiting to happen as a right back. Unless he’s being used as a wingback where he has the center backs covering him then ya that’s fine and he’s a very dangerous player in that system. Right Back or Right Winger forget about it. Victor Moses was one of the best players in the league when he was used as a wingback under conte. He’s failed to flatter really as an out and out winger. I’m my opinion that’s no coincidence. Doherty has excelled for his attacking play I.e goals and assists.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Unpopular opinion but Doherty is an accident waiting to happen as a right back. Unless he’s being used as a wingback where he has the center backs covering him then ya that’s fine and he’s a very dangerous player in that system. Right Back or Right Winger forget about it. Victor Moses was one of the best players in the league when he was used as a wingback under conte. He’s failed to flatter really as an out and out winger. I’m my opinion that’s no coincidence. Doherty has excelled for his attacking play I.e goals and assists.

One thing I will say about Doherty is that he’s very slow to track back after going forward...we’re not the type of team that can afford that...and that him seems to gas out relatively quickly.but whatever system we play he starts and rightly so.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

One thing I will say about Doherty is that he’s very slow to track back after going forward...we’re not the type of team that can afford that...and that him seems to gas out relatively quickly.but whatever system we play he starts and rightly so.

This is all clear. Doherty is a superb wing back. Brilliant going forward and does enough going backwards, but isn't exactly exceptional defensively. Playing full back is a completely different role.

So what has we done with the best performing Irish player over the past 2 years. We have played him Right side of a midfield 4. We have played him right back in a back 4. Iirc we have also played him LB in a back 4 when Stevens was suspended?

McCarthy decided to play. 3-5-2 away to Switzerland. Where was our quality wing back and best performing player Doherty? On the bench. Where was Stevens playing that night? Left centre back in a 3. It would be comical if it wasn't so f*cking depressing.

Everyone knows Dohertys strengths and weaknesses. He should be one of the first names on our team sheet for what he brings to a team, i.e. his attacking strengths. Instead he has been messed around all campaign under this utter clown of a manager. The quicker we get shot of that buffoon McCarthy the better.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:29am
I, for one, can't wait for Stephen Kenny to only pick players in form, and in their favoured positions, not have any favourites, call up players from the League of Ireland, have excellent relations with the press - print, broadcast, and online - and play football that's a mix of Brazil 82's attacking verve and the catenaccio of Inter Milan in the sixties.
Because all of those things are definitely going to happen.

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 12 Feb 2020 at 12:32am
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:40am
LOL the level of stupidity on this forum from certain posters is a sight to behold.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 12 Feb 2020 at 12:41am
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:41am
exactly. The main reason to play a 3-5-2 would be to use the strengths of Stevens and Doherty in those positions where they have excelled for their clubs in the last 2 seasons. Against the swiss where he tried the 3-5-2 for all of 20 minutes, he has fecking Doherty on the bench and Stevens in the back 3 (so McClean and Coleman could be accommodated). 
Now he has dumped the system all together because it’s a perceived failure by McCarthy. Play the players for the system and give it more than 20 minutes.

He is so conservative and full of fear of making mistakes. Think it holds us back (e.g. have we ever won a big away game under Mick in all the years?). He sends out his team to be unadventurous away from home because he has imprinted it in his mind that being away from home is different. No doubt it can be a bit more difficult in different settings but the way he goes in it suddenly becomes David vs Goliath when we are away from home against any half decent side 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 12:44am

exactly. The main reason to play a 3-5-2 would be to use the strengths of Stevens and Doherty in those positions where they have excelled for their clubs in the last 2 seasons. Against the swiss where he tried the 3-5-2 for all of 20 minutes, he has fecking Doherty on the bench and Stevens in the back 3 (so McClean and Coleman could be accommodated). 
Now he has dumped the system all together because it’s a perceived failure by McCarthy. Play the players for the system and give it more than 20 minutes.

He is so conservative and full of fear of making mistakes. Think it holds us back (e.g. have we ever won a big away game under Mick in all the years?). He sends out his team to be unadventurous away from home because he has imprinted it in his mind that being away from home is different. No doubt it can be a bit more difficult in different settings but the way he goes in it suddenly becomes David vs Goliath when we are away from home against any half decent side 

Don't forget that it was also leaked after the Swiss match that the team didn't work whatsoever on the new 5-3-2 shape. The level of incompetence is scary. Imagine being on that money and not even doing a half arsed job. 1.2 million a year that bluffer is on isn't it?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:57am

That starting XI you posted earlier could be decent. Would switch the back 3 around with Duffy central to neutralise his lack of pace as much as possible. I'd have a worry about Whelan coming into that midfield though as with a midfield 3 of himself, Hendrick and Hourihane, the 3 CB's could be left exposed by the lack of mobility ahead of them.

The major worry with the 3-5-2 is if they are sent out again in a must-win game without having practiced the formation at all.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:44am
No Doherty means we’re playing for penalties and we deserve to go out on that basis alone
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

LOL the level of stupidity on this forum from certain posters is a sight to behold.

Don’t be holding back Hans.
Name and shame!

What team/formation would you pick sir that would qualify us for the Euro’s?

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

yes and we’ll be having the same arguments.
Hendrick was missing in that midfield.
McClean was a headless chicken losing the ball 20 times out of 25 times he got the ball.
Whelan tried but was limited.
McGoldrick had no support.
Etc.

If you look at the video of McClean of losing the ball x amount of times, some were him crossing ball into the box, getting tackled whilst and the ball going out for an Ireland throw etc...

From what I recall of watching it, I thought it was a very disingenuous statistic.

C'mon horse! Mcclean crosses the ball a lot in ireland games but such is the lack of quality, he only has 3 assists in 72 odd games one of the assists vs Gibraltar and one in a friendly vs usa. For a wide player that's terrible.

Mcclean gives 100% but a lot of what he does is wasteful.

And Switzerland.
Bottom line is, he can put the ball into the box all day long as there will be no one there to score it.
You can replace McClean and you'll still have the same problem.

He was top goal scorer last campaign too.

Same with Whelan (as per Deise's excellent post on this).

Edited by horsebox - 12 Feb 2020 at 8:18am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:18am
Whelan and Mcclean the FG and FF of Irish football 
AKA pedantic kunt
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:21am
Can't wait to be rid of him - has done just about the worst job possible, imagine if MON was still in charge and we were in the position we are in.

We are the outsiders of the 4 to qualify imo but if there was a shred of competence in Micks head I would be quietly confident. Unfortunately think we'll fall at the first hurdle. 
Here we go again
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:46am
We were ranked third and we came third.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:15am
Always liked Mick but yeah, looking forward to a new era. I didnt expect him to be so irritable/grumpy this time around. Seems to be a prior condition if you're 60+ and in international football management. 

A difficult task for him given the short term nature of the deal, i just would have expected a little more scope (10-15%) when it came to the football. Little change from MONs tenure apart from a greater camaraderie and bantz perhaps. But that was never going to be hard. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 104>
  Share Topic