You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 104>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

I like Mick and was happy to see him come back in.  He had unfinished business. What I don’t like is the sarky comments when asked reasonable questions by Irish journalists doing their job.  An out of work Championship manager getting incredibly well paid needs to show more respect. 

Also, some of the panel selections are off the wall.  You don’t need to have played international football to notice that we need creativity and that playing a target man who can’t jump or control the ball is not a good idea. 

Don’t get this unfinished business. He was sacked because of poor performance . Should never have been allowed in the door again. He had plenty of cheerleaders on here though. With regards respect. McCarthy thinks he’s doing us a favour. In reality he’s in topping up the pension like the last two. There won’t be many fighting over his services believe me.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 9:09am
The 2 previous managers qualified for a major tournament. Isn't that the whole point?

Are you expecting them to win the tournament or something?

The goal for any manager coming in is to finish in the top 2 and qualify.

Regardless of all that has gone on so far, we are still in with a shout against Denmark, we all would have taken that at the start of the campaign.

There is a lot of stuff with formations, performances, starting 11, squad selection that lots of people disagree with, this is nothing new, and it was the same with previous managers and I've no doubt it will be the same under Kenny.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 9:14am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The 2 previous managers qualified for a major tournament. Isn't that the whole point?

Are you expecting them to win the tournament or something?

The goal for any manager coming in is to finish in the top 2 and qualify.

Regardless of all that has gone on so far, we are still in with a shout against Denmark, we all would have taken that at the start of the campaign.

There is a lot of stuff with formations, performances, starting 11, squad selection that lots of people disagree with, this is nothing new, and it was the same with previous managers and I've no doubt it will be the same under Kenny.

If we had Klopp or Pep as manager we would be finding holes to pick sure, it’s what we do LOL.

Joe Schmidt got Ireland to rank number in the world and won multiple 6 nations and now fans can’t wait to see the back of him after a few defeats

Edited by t_rAndy - 18 Oct 2019 at 9:14am
FunkyMonkey View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkyMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 11:24am
There is no doubt we don’t have the players that we once had but ffs the lads we are picking are not been given the direction needed too .

It is blatant that we have nobody in midfield capable of getting on the ball knocking it out in front of themselves lifting  their heads and looking to create something . I think in a team like ours we are always going to need workhorses but even with workhorses you still need someone in their that can relieve a bit of pressure and pick out a pass . Jack Byrne is a player that can do that . He is a player that can do that job with his eyes closed . The likes of a Georgia are no better than europa league teams and Byrne can play at that level . Stick him in the Ireland team he has even better players around him and he should be better again .

Could Jack Byrne not do what Hourihane and Hendrick already do ? I think he could and actually offer more on top . It is kind of like dejavu with the Wes situation but I remember arguing with people at the time when Wes was at Shels . I said he should be in the Ireland team and a few people agreed but most people s*****red .

When you are a good player you are a good player and if you put Hourihane or Hendrick into the Rovers team Jack would still be the best player at Rovers .

Edited by FunkyMonkey - 18 Oct 2019 at 11:26am
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

McCarthy was quick enough to praise the job he was doing as we were on top of the group pre tonight's game and unbeaten.

A complete false dawn given we had played Gibraltar and Georgia twice (still couldn't muster 12 points) and how poor our performances have been.

The man is a spoofer and I would bet any money most managers would have had that points tally after said amount of games, we deserved nothing away to Denmark and were blessed against Switzerland to a point.

Those two good results were down to luck, not a Mick Mc tactical masterclass like we he lead you to believe.

Fook off with that 'The man is a spoofer' nonsense. Ridiculous post. 

I'm pissed off with some of McCarthy's decisions this campaign but to label him a spoofer is ott. 

I surely won't "fook off" as you say Embarrassed

McCarthy is a spoofer and has gotten badly shown up for being a poor manager especially in the last couple of games.

He is a dinosaur and the game has evolved while leaving him behind, cut the sh*t and open your eyes.

So Those last two games should define his whole career in management as being poor. That's a ridiculous thing to post unless you have chip on your shoulder against him. At the very least he's had a half decent and solid management career. 

Btw I think Mick deserves a huge amount of criticism especially over the Georgia game and that has really cost us but I wouldn't fly off the handle and start denigrating his whole management career. 

We also have a chance to qualify next month at home to Denmark and we'd have taken that before the group started.

No what's ridiculous is you thinking I would base his whole management career on two games ffs.

My comment, highlighted that he was already a poor manager and the last two games even brought more light to that fact. 

He couldn't hack it as a Premier League manager, mustered one qualification in 3 campaigns (quit at the start of his 4th campaign after a dreadful start) and has by in large found himself in The Championship.

No established Premier League clubs ever took a punt on him, why?

Our position in this group was a complete false dawn, we had played Gibralter twice and Georgia once in our first four games, on top of robbing a draw in Copenhagen and a lot of our fans were getting ahead of themselves, as was Mick (despite playing poorly)

Going into the last round of qualifiers with a chance of qualifying will mean f**k all unless we do, I think the lack of confidence from people now is telling. 

Ignoring the standard of performances and just looking at the result is a dangerous thing, it's all caught up with us now and our luck has ran out. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:51pm
In the system we usually play, the wide men are the key to attacking. Whelan is a defensive mid, who has little pace, so when he is on the ball, an opposite number merely has to screen him from going any further up the pitch, something he is reluctant to do anyway. 

We have Hourihane (Browne in the Swiss game) alongside him, but neither of them have any pace either, and both are also ponderous on the ball, even more so than Whelan is. Again, they don't have to be closely marked by the opposition, the opposition merely has to cut down their already limited passing options.

Hendrick is the one fella that can run, so he is usually the closest marked one of the midfielders. His passing isn't good enough to get him out of trouble in the midfield areas most of the time, so after all 3 of them have had a go at passing the ball sideways & backwards, the ball goes out wide, eventually. 

This is where the whole thing falls down. McClean rarely keeps any kind of possession. Balls bounce off him, he takes on men he can't beat, or he stops, checks, and passes backwards, back to square one. On the other wing, absolutely nobody has made the place their own, despite all of Robinson, Brady, O'Dowda, Doherty, even Hendrick on occasion, playing there over the last 2 years. 

With the wingers so careless/useless in possession, the full backs behind them don't have the confidence to go forward, because they know if the winger loses the ball with them in an advanced position, they are defensively exposed. McGoldrick, who genuinely is good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, provided the only other alternative attacking option. When he wasn't there, Collins lack of mobility was also ruthlessly exposed. Both Connolly and even Hogan were far more mobile when they were playing CF, though made redundant by the inability of the midfielders to find them with accurate passes. 

We have undroppable players there on merit, well, 2 of them anyway, Randolph and Duffy. We also have undroppable players who prevent us from playing another system that might not rely so much on poor wingers, McClean and Coleman, neither of whose form has been good in a long time, not just the past 2 games. 

If McCarthy was brave enough, he would go 3-5-2 for Denmark, Duffy, Egan, Long at CB with Doc & Stevens as wing backs. Whelan, Hendrick (I know he didn't have good games, but his physicality will ensure he plays anyway) and one of Cullen or Byrne, both of whom can control a ball and move it on quickly, something that is badly lacking in the current team. Connolly playing off McGoldrick up top. 

Even in the current system, there are options there if Mick would only use them. Doc, Egan, Duffy, Stevens back 4, Whelan, Hendrick, Cullen/Byrne as middle 3, Connolly on left, McGoldrick middle, Shane Long on right. I know Long hasn't scored a goal in ages, but even if he was never to score another goal for us, he annoys defenders and has pace that would worry defenders trying to play a high line. 

Either of those teams in either formation would at least in theory have a greater chance of retaining possession and also contain a little bit of pace that provides even a counter attacking threat. Because at the moment, we play like a rugby team. Launch long ball at a winger, try get a throw in, then try get a corner, then send up Duffy & Egan and hope for the best. 

If we keep relying on this, and keep picking wingers who repeatedly give the ball away, it will take a fluke or a very poor Denmark performance for them not to win it. I see absolutely no sign Mick would be prepared to take any of those options, he would see them as too risky, and his idea of risk would be to throw Duffy up front for the last ten minutes (something I fully expect to see V Denmark).

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

In the system we usually play, the wide men are the key to attacking. Whelan is a defensive mid, who has little pace, so when he is on the ball, an opposite number merely has to screen him from going any further up the pitch, something he is reluctant to do anyway. 

We have Hourihane (Browne in the Swiss game) alongside him, but neither of them have any pace either, and both are also ponderous on the ball, even more so than Whelan is. Again, they don't have to be closely marked by the opposition, the opposition merely has to cut down their already limited passing options.

Hendrick is the one fella that can run, so he is usually the closest marked one of the midfielders. His passing isn't good enough to get him out of trouble in the midfield areas most of the time, so after all 3 of them have had a go at passing the ball sideways & backwards, the ball goes out wide, eventually. 

This is where the whole thing falls down. McClean rarely keeps any kind of possession. Balls bounce off him, he takes on men he can't beat, or he stops, checks, and passes backwards, back to square one. On the other wing, absolutely nobody has made the place their own, despite all of Robinson, Brady, O'Dowda, Doherty, even Hendrick on occasion, playing there over the last 2 years. 

With the wingers so careless/useless in possession, the full backs behind them don't have the confidence to go forward, because they know if the winger loses the ball with them in an advanced position, they are defensively exposed. McGoldrick, who genuinely is good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, provided the only other alternative attacking option. When he wasn't there, Collins lack of mobility was also ruthlessly exposed. Both Connolly and even Hogan were far more mobile when they were playing CF, though made redundant by the inability of the midfielders to find them with accurate passes. 

We have undroppable players there on merit, well, 2 of them anyway, Randolph and Duffy. We also have undroppable players who prevent us from playing another system that might not rely so much on poor wingers, McClean and Coleman, neither of whose form has been good in a long time, not just the past 2 games. 

If McCarthy was brave enough, he would go 3-5-2 for Denmark, Duffy, Egan, Long at CB with Doc & Stevens as wing backs. Whelan, Hendrick (I know he didn't have good games, but his physicality will ensure he plays anyway) and one of Cullen or Byrne, both of whom can control a ball and move it on quickly, something that is badly lacking in the current team. Connolly playing off McGoldrick up top. 

Even in the current system, there are options there if Mick would only use them. Doc, Egan, Duffy, Stevens back 4, Whelan, Hendrick, Cullen/Byrne as middle 3, Connolly on left, McGoldrick middle, Shane Long on right. I know Long hasn't scored a goal in ages, but even if he was never to score another goal for us, he annoys defenders and has pace that would worry defenders trying to play a high line. 

Either of those teams in either formation would at least in theory have a greater chance of retaining possession and also contain a little bit of pace that provides even a counter attacking threat. Because at the moment, we play like a rugby team. Launch long ball at a winger, try get a throw in, then try get a corner, then send up Duffy & Egan and hope for the best. 

If we keep relying on this, and keep picking wingers who repeatedly give the ball away, it will take a fluke or a very poor Denmark performance for them not to win it. I see absolutely no sign Mick would be prepared to take any of those options, he would see them as too risky, and his idea of risk would be to throw Duffy up front for the last ten minutes (something I fully expect to see V Denmark).

Can’t disagree with any of that. An excellent summary. 

Would add to it that Hendrick, Browne and Hourihane are three very similar players. 

All capable of popping up with a goal or nice assist at club level, but not capable of staying in a game for ninety minutes. 

We should only ever play one of them in a midfield three, unless Hendrick is being deployed on the wing.

Edited by Maccatacca - 18 Oct 2019 at 1:04pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:04pm
Me either

Reading it it dawned on me that we may miss McGeady
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:06pm
So the last paragraph it is deise316. There'll be nothing experimental about the Denmark game 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

So the last paragraph it is deise316. There'll be nothing experimental about the Denmark game 

I think we’ll see James McCarthy (if he plays enough at club level) or Josh Cullen in midfield. 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I don't think any of those 2 teams I posted are even approaching radical change, they are just mere tweaks removing obvious weaknesses, and replacing them with lads who have positive attacking attributes, or ball retention attributes. The weaknesses are obvious to everyone bar the lad picking the team. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:31pm
I agree Desie, I think a 3-5-2 is the way to go for this one. But drop McClean and play Stevens as the LWB, like you mentioned. McClean is too wasteful, bring him on later in the game if chasing a win where his energy might be useful if things get chaotic too then it suits his style. It's hardly a risk to drop McClean at this stage

Edited by t_rAndy - 18 Oct 2019 at 1:34pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:44pm
                Randolph
            Egan Clark Duffy
Doherty Cullen Whelan Hendrick Stevens
          McGoldrick Connolly 

Wouldn’t mind seeing this as we’ve f**k all to lose. We’d have a few options on the break with this team. 
Swap McCarthy for Cullen or Whelan and Robinson could start instead of either of the two strikers. 
If it all goes to sh*t then sub off Clark and go back to a 4-5-1.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 5:39pm

McCarthy was quick enough to praise the job he was doing as we were on top of the group pre tonight's game and unbeaten.

A complete false dawn given we had played Gibraltar and Georgia twice (still couldn't muster 12 points) and how poor our performances have been.

The man is a spoofer and I would bet any money most managers would have had that points tally after said amount of games, we deserved nothing away to Denmark and were blessed against Switzerland to a point.

Those two good results were down to luck, not a Mick Mc tactical masterclass like we he lead you to believe.

Fook off with that 'The man is a spoofer' nonsense. Ridiculous post. 

I'm pissed off with some of McCarthy's decisions this campaign but to label him a spoofer is ott. 

I surely won't "fook off" as you say Embarrassed

McCarthy is a spoofer and has gotten badly shown up for being a poor manager especially in the last couple of games.

He is a dinosaur and the game has evolved while leaving him behind, cut the sh*t and open your eyes.

So Those last two games should define his whole career in management as being poor. That's a ridiculous thing to post unless you have chip on your shoulder against him. At the very least he's had a half decent and solid management career. 

Btw I think Mick deserves a huge amount of criticism especially over the Georgia game and that has really cost us but I wouldn't fly off the handle and start denigrating his whole management career. 

We also have a chance to qualify next month at home to Denmark and we'd have taken that before the group started.

No what's ridiculous is you thinking I would base his whole management career on two games ffs.

My comment, highlighted that he was already a poor manager and the last two games even brought more light to that fact. 

He couldn't hack it as a Premier League manager, mustered one qualification in 3 campaigns (quit at the start of his 4th campaign after a dreadful start) and has by in large found himself in The Championship.

No established Premier League clubs ever took a punt on him, why?

Our position in this group was a complete false dawn, we had played Gibralter twice and Georgia once in our first four games, on top of robbing a draw in Copenhagen and a lot of our fans were getting ahead of themselves, as was Mick (despite playing poorly)

Going into the last round of qualifiers with a chance of qualifying will mean f**k all unless we do, I think the lack of confidence from people now is telling. 

Ignoring the standard of performances and just looking at the result is a dangerous thing, it's all caught up with us now and our luck has ran out. 

No matter who the manager is the fact that we're in and around challenging for qualification is as much as we can realistically expect. McCarthy has us in the mix going into the last game. 

I think given his management career he's done reasonably well on limited resources. To think he's a poor manager overall is very harsh imo. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 6:47pm
Denmark and Switzerland are better sides than us no question, but why is merely challenging for qualification the best we can expect? Both sides haven't exactly pulled up any trees this campaign and were there for the taking imo! It's this sort of attitude that annoys me, we have just accepted mediocrity.

I'm saying this because there are countless cases of unfancied teams qualifying ahead of the so called favourites in groups and had we of shown any intent to go out and try and beat Georgia our position in this group would have been further enhanced. 

But unfortunately our mentality is to go out there and play for a draw or try not to lose, under McCarthy this is a trend that will never change and will ultimately lead to us failing to qualify for the Euros. 

There is absolutely no defending our performances under him. 

Gibraltar - Two dire performances
Georgia - One decent performance and one dire performance
Denmark - Escaped with a point after being completely outplayed, fairly poor performance overall
Switzerland - One dire performance (bar 10 minutes) and the other game we were outplayed and managed to hit them with a sucker punch at the end.

I have never rated Mick as a manager and stand by my opinion on him, harsh perhaps but football is all about opinions.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 6:51pm
''I would have taken this position if you had offered it to me before the group started''

John Giles comes out in a rash.

''You have to take each game on its merits there Bill.''

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:03pm

Denmark and Switzerland are better sides than us no question, but why is merely challenging for qualification the best we can expect? Both sides haven't exactly pulled up any trees this campaign and were there for the taking imo! It's this sort of attitude that annoys me, we have just accepted mediocrity.

I'm saying this because there are countless cases of unfancied teams qualifying ahead of the so called favourites in groups and had we of shown any intent to go out and try and beat Georgia our position in this group would have been further enhanced. 

But unfortunately our mentality is to go out there and play for a draw or try not to lose, under McCarthy this is a trend that will never change and will ultimately lead to us failing to qualify for the Euros. 

Denmark - Escaped with a point after being completely outplayed, fairly poor performance overall
Switzerland - One dire performance (bar 10 minutes) and the other game we were outplayed and managed to hit them with a sucker punch at the end.

I have never rated Mick as a manager and stand by my opinion on him, harsh perhaps but football is all about opinions.

Harsh and wrong but we'll agree to disagree. You could pick out all our qualification performances under Trap and O'Neill and it would make for similar reading. 

Being realistic about the Irish national team is not the same thing as accepting mediocrity. There's a certain continuity over a long period of time of watching the Irish team under various managers and squads that you can't really argue with. 

Teams like Germany Spain will generally always qualify. Teams like us will generally always struggle but be in and around challenging for qualification. 

We are what we are. You can only piss with the cock you've got. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:11pm

Harsh and wrong but we'll agree to disagree. You could pick out all our qualification performances under Trap and O'Neill and it would make for similar reading. 

Being realistic about the Irish national team is not the same thing as accepting mediocrity. There's a certain continuity over a long period of time of watching the Irish team under various managers and squads that you can't really argue with. 

Teams like Germany Spain will generally always qualify. Teams like us will generally always struggle but be in and around challenging for qualification. 

We are what we are. You can only piss with the cock you've got. 

I completely disagree with you there tbh, 

Our players constantly under perform in the national team set up and are often made out to be worse players than they are especially on here. 

Get a competent manager in and I have no doubt performances would improve (not saying by miles, but they would definitely improve)

We have a manager in place who's mentality is not to lose and never to go for the win from the off, thus leading to the sh*te being served up.

Ignore it all you want, it's fairly obvious he's out of his depth.

Edited by Green Devil - 18 Oct 2019 at 7:14pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 104>
  Share Topic