You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 104>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It’s really awkward how slow and lethargic we are. Northern Ireland suffer from that too, and their days of getting results that get them to finals and play offs look numbered too.

Wow!

As someone who's seen all our qualifiers since Euro2016, I can only think you're confusing us with some other team.

Michael took us to France with a team built around a rock solid defence - McAuley, Hughes, Brunt, Evans, Cathcart, McGovern etc.

But with half of them retiring, he revamped the playing style, to reflect the next generation of players coming through - mostly attacking midfielders. This meant adopting a more attacking, even pressing game (except against the very best opposition away from home). And even allowing for this transition, we got to the p/o's for WC2018, like yourselves.

And now the new approach is bedded in, had we not got such a bastard of a group, we'd be set fair to qualify for Euro2020 automatically. In fact I'd go further: had we had your group, I honestly think we'd be through already.

LOL Delusional.
Don't take my word for it, here's is what the official UEFA match reporter wrote about Rotterdam:

Half-time verdict:
"Seldom have I seen a more disjointed 45 minutes by the Dutch under Ronald Koeman. Stifled and harried all over the park, they are frequently resorting to long balls towards the strikers, who invariably lose the duels with their physically stronger opponents. Quite amazing that Peacock-Farrell hasn’t been tested at all. But kudos to Michael O’Neill’s team, who have dictated the tempo and style of the game largely from kick-off."

53 Mins:
"No changes in personnel, and no change in the pattern of the game either. Surely Ronald Koeman won’t wait too much longer before making at least one change."

59 Mins:
"With almost an hour gone, it’s still the visiting fans who’re making the vast majority of the noise. That tells you everything you need to know about this match."

67 Mins:
"Two boys from the Eredivisie are coming on to help turn things round. Both Malen and Van de Beek have been in fine form so far this season – let’s see if they can provide the impetus Oranje so badly need."

75 Mins:
"And just when it seemed the Dutch were taking control, Northern Ireland are in front! Blind lost his orientation, allowing Dallas to launch a cross into the middle of the box. Normally you’d expect De Ligt to win a ball coming in there, but full credit to the substitute Magennis, who stood his ground and nodded the ball beyond the despairing Cillessen. There’s a real upset on the cards here in Rotterdam."

Of course we lost it in the end, to two goals in injury time. But even there, the key goalscorer could only say this at the end:
Luuk de Jong, Netherlands striker:
“It wasn’t our best game. We had a tough first half and we couldn’t get through the Northern Ireland defence. When they scored to make it 1-0 we were in a little bit of trouble. We only had one thought: to press and put as many balls into the box as possible. That’s why the coach put me on. Happily I could score to make it 2-1.”

So there you have it, Netherlands reduced to bringing on a big lump up front and launching it.

Which, to bring this vaguely back on topic, shows that while there may be two international managers in Ireland, there's only one who has a clue what he should be doing.

And it's not Mick Mac LOL

Edited by Territorial - 16 Oct 2019 at 9:58am
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:00am
Before the tournament I thought Mick was the safe option.
However the last 2 games he has been shown up. 
That Georgia performance was pathetic. 

In hindsight we should have brought Kenny in. He could have blooded new players in and instilled a way of playing.
He may not have qualified from the group but the players would be better prepared for the play offs.

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Before the tournament I thought Mick was the safe option.
However the last 2 games he has been shown up. 
That Georgia performance was pathetic. 

In hindsight we should have brought Kenny in. He could have blooded new players in and instilled a way of playing.
He may not have qualified from the group but the players would be better prepared for the play offs.

The only way to be safe when seeking qualification is to be ambitious. Mick is not.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:03am
That’s very selective quoting for a 3-1 defeat.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:22am

So you find me something to contradict it, then.

I mean, even their guy, De Jong, admitted they were in trouble.

Of course, I'm not saying the Dutch didn't deserve their win in the end, but we made them sweat for it.

Anyhow, weren't you the fella who doubted we'd even beat Georgia?

Georgia are currently ranked 91. Belarus are 82 and Estonia are 102, so all three are much of a muchness.

And we've played both BLR and EST home and away this year: 4 games, 4 victories.

Meanwhile, the comparable games in the 2018 WCQ's were:
NI 4 v 0 Azerbaijan
NI 2 v 0 Norway
Azer 0 v 1 NI
Norway 1 v 0 NI - last game of the group, nothing to play for, went down to a late O.G.

(Also beat the Czechs at home and drew away, btw)

Fact is, while formerly we were capable of a mighty victory one week, we were equally capable of a humiliating defeat the next.

What Michael has done is tighten everything up so that we beat the teams who are weaker than us, go head-to-head with the teams around our level, and give it our best shot against the teams who are (clearly) better than us.

Which is all we ask.

You equally happy with your man? (It is his thread, after all Wink)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Norn iron are equally as boring and negative as ourselves. 2 of the worst teams to watch in Europe.

(Excluding GIB) You've scored 3 goals in 5 games against Switz, Georgia and Denmark.

We've scored 8 in 6 against Germany, Netherlands, Belarus and Estonia.

And we've not been embarrassed in any of them.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:31am
Terri will you please stop writing essays every time you post? 

Fu*king hell....

Edited by Green Devil - 16 Oct 2019 at 10:31am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:36am

So you find me something to contradict it, then.

I mean, even their guy, De Jong, admitted they were in trouble.

Of course, I'm not saying the Dutch didn't deserve their win in the end, but we made them sweat for it.

Anyhow, weren't you the fella who doubted we'd even beat Georgia?

Georgia are currently ranked 91. Belarus are 82 and Estonia are 102, so all three are much of a muchness.

And we've played both BLR and EST home and away this year: 4 games, 4 victories.

Meanwhile, the comparable games in the 2018 WCQ's were:
NI 4 v 0 Azerbaijan
NI 2 v 0 Norway
Azer 0 v 1 NI
Norway 1 v 0 NI - last game of the group, nothing to play for, went down to a late O.G.

(Also beat the Czechs at home and drew away, btw)

Fact is, while formerly we were capable of a mighty victory one week, we were equally capable of a humiliating defeat the next.

What Michael has done is tighten everything up so that we beat the teams who are weaker than us, go head-to-head with the teams around our level, and give it our best shot against the teams who are (clearly) better than us.

Which is all we ask.

You equally happy with your man? (It is his thread, after all Wink)

1. The rankings are meaningless. Georgia have snuck points of Denmark in this group. They are a tricky opponent, and a total banana skin.

2.We’ve spent the last three decades making people “sweat” for their points, so no prizes for that

What you’ve actually written is applicable to both team. “Give it our best shot”, might well be applicable to us. The wins over Italy, Germany, Bosnia, Austria and Wales would speak to that.

Am I equally happy with MM?  No, probably not, but that’s simply because we have, on paper better playing resources.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Fu*king hell....

Yeah, you're right, I should know what passes for debate round this way.

You say your Dad's bigger than mine.

I say mine's bigger than yours.

And yours smells.

There.

I mean, who needs eg facts, evidence or reasoning, when you can just post any old Sun-reader crap....LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:44am

Fu*king hell....

And yours smells.

There.

I mean, who needs eg facts, evidence or reasoning, when you can just post any old Sun-reader crap....LOL

No its like every post of yours has to be a minimum of 5 or 6 paragraphs just so you can get your point across.

fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:46am
Team selection for the last two has been his biggest mistakes,As Brady said last night post match
he has "bombed"players who should be in the squad at the very least.
With the pool of players at our disposal it was arrogant or naive to think the outcome
would be any different.Next squad announcement should be interesting.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:51am

Fu*king hell....

And yours smells.

There.

No its like every post of yours has to be a minimum of 5 or 6 paragraphs just so you can get your point across.

He’ll stick to his guns. Glen Whelan/didzy won’t be dropped. So whether James Mccarthy is in the squad/ Shane long is in the squad makes no odds. If Robbie Brady has a good months he could play himself into
Contention. I’ve a feeling McLean has even worn thin with Mccarthy after last 2 showings
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by fochie fochie wrote:

Team selection for the last two has been his biggest mistakes,As Brady said last night post match
With the pool of players at our disposal it was arrogant or naive to think the outcome

I said as much a few weeks ago when he was half dismissive of Arter, McCarthy, Westwood etc.

His arrogance will be his undoing.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:03am
With the exception of Randolph, Duffy and Connolly, there are very few players I actually want in our starting 11. There are a lot of players that we need, simply because the alternatives are worse, equally bad, or non-committal (Arter and McCarthy).

Having Brady, Long, McCarthy and Arter might make our squad look stronger on paper, but the harsh reality is they have been no better than any of the sh*te we had on display the last 2 games.

I really hope these next 4 weeks are good for Irish players and McCarthy has a serious headache, plus added media pressure, or we are looking at the same 11, bar Coleman.
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:07am

I said as much a few weeks ago when he was half dismissive of Arter, McCarthy, Westwood etc.

I didnt hear Post match interview but apparently he was blaming the players 
for not being able to pass it 5 yards?
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:10am

He said no team selection or formation can legislate for players being unable to pass the ball to each other : he thought we were very poor in the first half
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

He said no team selection or formation can legislate for players being unable to pass the ball to each other : he thought we were very poor in the first half
Says it all really.Jesus wept.
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:18am
[/QUOTE]

Well he's not really lying there in fairness 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 104>
  Share Topic