Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 104>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

MM: Yeah, but I've had 970 games as a coach and as a manager, so I'd like to think that they would respect my knowledge on the game. I was given eight games to qualify for the Euros - not four years to bring players through - so those questions are nonsensical really. Should I play them instead of Jeff Hendrick who has been brilliant, and Conor (Hourihane) and Glenn (Whelan)? Because if I do, and we get beat, I can tell you the first question: "How could you play a debutant in a game against Georgia?"

So he's choosing not to play them because he's afraid he might get asked an awkward question after losing to Georgia? He deserves to be asked awkward questions if we lose to Georgia, so he shouldn't be basing his player selection on that. Like you could just as easily flip the scenario and say "why didn't you play Connolly" if we lose to Georgia with a team full of established (but less talented) players, couldn't you?

For me it kind of sums up everything that has been wrong with Irish managers' approach over the last decade, conservatism taken to the point that it becomes suffocating.

Yeah, he's fully concentrating on what questions he's likely to be asked and not concentrating on qualifying. 
LOL
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Always injured (some dubious) but when he has played he hasnt done enough. 

He came back from injury in January. The problem is getting minutes on the field which now looks like less of an issue. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:35am

MM: Yeah, but I've had 970 games as a coach and as a manager, so I'd like to think that they would respect my knowledge on the game. I was given eight games to qualify for the Euros - not four years to bring players through - so those questions are nonsensical really. Should I play them instead of Jeff Hendrick who has been brilliant, and Conor (Hourihane) and Glenn (Whelan)? Because if I do, and we get beat, I can tell you the first question: "How could you play a debutant in a game against Georgia?"
Spot on HB Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:42am
I think some Irish fans have to get off the “Fantasy Football” lark, and actually take a pragmatic view of young players, some of them have never actually started first team games in the league, or in any other competition for that matter. As has been said at numerous times, the brief is to qualify. By retaining MON after the 2018 qualifiers, you vested squad development in him. One might say there was a degree of that g en who he played and picked, but the football was so stifling that we were spending most games at the end of our own box, and it didn’t matter who was picked. 

When McCarthy took over, much of what we are seeing now in terms of lads like Parrott, Kelleher, Molumby, and Connolly wasn’t happening. The likes of McCarthy and Clark we’re out of their club teams plans. We also had officially lost Rice. He had no friendly matches to try new things and went straight into the qualifiers. At the time, our resources were limited, with the best performing and consistent players (at the time) coming from the upper reaches of the championship. MM has always been able to perform with limited resources and we could potentially make it to a finals with that mechanism.

After that, it will be time to turn the page and see what happens when we use players like the young lads mentioned (amongst others) and the returning senior players. But now isn’t the time. And let’s be honest, some of the players we seem to be most critical of have made some of the most important contributions.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Spot on HB Thumbs Up

Their Mick's comments! from the article D69 posted in the previous page.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 11:22am
HB for next manager Clap
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:14pm
I have to say that MM is approaching all the games on 100% his terms, he's picking who he wants with the players available to him and leaving out players for his reasons.

If we qualify it will largely be because of him and he will deserve credit.

If we don't qualify the usual questions will be asked about formation, players etc and he will have to shoulder his part too.

But all in all I think he's doing exactly what he should be doing. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I have to say that MM is approaching all the games on 100% his terms, he's picking who he wants with the players available to him and leaving out players for his reasons.

If we don't qualify the usual questions will be asked about formation, players etc and he will have to shoulder his part too.

What would interest me if we qualify is the entire squad he selects for the tournament. Keogh being the exception, his usual suspects will be selected from 1-11. And I think that’s fine. But i would be a lot more critical if he left players at home who just didn’t fit in March 2019, in lieu of the people that did. It’s my primary gripe of Trapp’s squad in 2012.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

What would interest me if we qualify is the entire squad he selects for the tournament. Keogh being the exception, his usual suspects will be selected from 1-11. And I think that’s fine. But i would be a lot more critical if he left players at home who just didn’t fit in March 2019, in lieu of the people that did. It’s my primary gripe of Trapp’s squad in 2012.

I think Mick would use the friendlies to look at other players if we did qualify. He brought in Steven Reid in between qualfiying and the world cup 2002 if I am not mistaken so he has some form in that regard.
He also has had no problem cutting 'regulars' from his squad, e.g. Brady, if they are not in form for their clubs.  
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I think Mick would use the friendlies to look at other players if we did qualify. He brought in Steven Reid in between qualfiying and the world cup 2002 if I am not mistaken so he has some form in that regard.
He also has had no problem cutting 'regulars' from his squad, e.g. Brady, if they are not in form for their clubs.  
O'Brien and Morrison too came in after the qualifiers. I think Mick is a bit more pragmatic than most think, his hand has been forced to some extent with the lack of friendlies.
The Whisperer View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:51pm
Robbie Brady, Shane Long, James McCarthy & Ciaran Clark.

All fit and not selected?
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Reid only got in because Mark Kennedy didn't recover from injury. 

But your point stands and I think he'd certainly look at players in the friendlies should we qualify. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by The Whisperer The Whisperer wrote:

Robbie Brady, Shane Long, James McCarthy & Ciaran Clark.

All fit and not selected?

Correct
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:53pm
The Mick Mccarthy rejects 11

Westwood

Brady    Clark      Collins       Christie 

Molumby     Arter  McCarthy    Sadlier

S.Long               Parrot

Can we be in that bad a state when this team of fit players don't even make the squad, or is it mainly down to Mick's eccentric selection process?
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
Ah here come on.  Clark played his first game since January yesterday and I've heard nobody shouting for him until now.  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
McCarthy opted out and Long and Brady are sh*t!  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:20pm
If I remember rightly Mick was seen to be very conservative in 2002 regarding squad selection. There was a fairly big push at the time for John O'Shea, Steven Reid and Colin Healy to he called up but he stuck fairly doggedly to the players that qualified us - none of the above were in the initial 23. 

Reid was called up late when Kennedy cried off and he tried to call up Healy to replace Roy Keane. But if he was luckier with call offs none of them would have been picked. 
The Whisperer View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

McCarthy opted out and Long and Brady are sh*t!  

Your entitled to your opinion.

But in my eyes all 4 of clark, mccarthy, long and brady walk into the most recent squad named. Whether you start them or not is a separate question.

Robbie Brady > Ronan Curtis
Ciaran Clark > Darragh Lenihan
James McCarthy > Alan Browne
Shane Long > Scott Hogan

Judge, Byrne, Cullen & Cunningham also in squad whom I rate not as high as  the  lads who missed out.

Baffling squad selection by Mick to be honest.

Done well to be where we are at this moment but seriously worried for the two upcoming fixtures looking at the squad. 

Edited by The Whisperer - 07 Oct 2019 at 4:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 104>
  Share Topic