You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 104>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Only read those comments from Mick regards Connolly now.  Shocking comments from Mick and he's been made to look bloody stupid now!
first time I ever agreed with you.
Jaysus - if senior and junior are agreeing with each other there must be something to this 
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

In one!

Which bit did you disagree with ? Or are ya headed for the ''I wouldn't read that because blah blah blah'' angle ? I only read it because Newt posted it, and unlike him, I disagree with very little of it. 

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but a blog post that offers no attempt at balance doesn’t deserve much respect in my view. This is pretty typical of a platform like Pundit Arena, although I have read some good stuff on there. It’s all dependent on the quality of the contributor, because the editorial standard is zero. No serious editor would let this through.

Apart from the disdainful tone (which would be appropriate for John Delaney or the Zodiac Killer but isn’t really necessary for a former captain and manager who last brought us to the World Cup and is top of the group in this campaign) there are so many gaps in logic that’s its hard to know where to start. And I say this as somebody who would personally love to see Connolly, Molumby and others in the squad just for the buzz.

the Ireland boss could have taken the chance to call-up some fresh faces. He had nothing to lose. But, there was no chance of that happening.” Nothing to lose? If we lose the next two games, we’re out of qualifying.

McCarthy picked a squad as though he was selecting a crew of miners in Yorkshire, valuing experience, effort and loyalty.“ haven’t seen much Yorkshirism in my life, but ok. Experience, effort and loyalty are not bad qualities to look for when building a team. Actually they are GREAT qualities, which is why McCarthy prizes them. Thats his prerogative.

“Connolly was named the Premier League 2 player of the season last year, the level Long plays at. With McCarthy, it’s one rule for some players and another for others, and he wasn’t finished yet.” True, but Long has more experience at international level and has actually played very well in all his caps. Key point: he also plays in a position where we are extremely light and frankly need bodies.

“If Didsy (David McGoldrick) is fit I’m not going to put him in front of him,” McCarthy said about a player who is unlikely to be in the squad due to injury. How can Connolly be behind an injured player in the pecking order? He leads the quote with “if Didsy is fit”!!! 

For the record, I don’t get why McCarthy loves Judge and Hogan so much, but I think he’s earned the right to pick the squad he wants. 

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:32pm
Pundit Arena is rubbish.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:48pm
Fair enough on the disrespectful tone Dec, can't disagree too much there, but I'm guessing the writer is far too young to remember Mick's playing career (which also had its share of debates pre-internet age LOL) and mainly sees him as a former manager of Sunderland, Wolves, Ipswich etc, where he carved out a decent if uninspiring career. 

2002 is heading for 2 decades ago at this stage, and for comparison's sake, nobody gave Trap much credit towards the end on here for his impressive title haul achieved in another era, while the Brian Clough stories beloved of MON began to irritate more or less everyone, so I don't think Mick's achievements at that time were foremost in the writers thoughts. 

The nothing to lose comment certainly deserves some further explanation,  as you point out, we have everything to lose in the games, but calling up a few new lads in itself was hardly going to turn the world on its axis either. And 2 new lads have indeed been called up now in any case. 

The loyalty thing, sorry, but tis bollix to be picking an entire team based on that. I'd have a genuine fear that if we were to qualify, the likes of Connolly or a fully fit McCarthy or an Obafemi who went on a late goalscoring run at Southampton would lose out because of this emphasis on loyalty to ordinary championship triers whose main attributes were to turn up when selected. 

The Connolly ahead of McGoldrick thing, and I've repeated this several times now, that was never the argument in the first place (it probably is and will be the argument from here on in), it was people looking at O'Dowda, Hogan, Judge, Maguire etc and thinking Connolly was surely worth a gamble ahead of them. Mick deliberately didn't frame it like that in his comments though and said he wasn't going to be picked ahead of McClean etc, which nobody was suggesting at the time. 

This is similar to the kind of unnecessary defensiveness, prickliness & hypersensitivity that annoyed people about MON so much- Mick is a manager 25 years, he has a player playing well (even before today, believe it or not), there's a good chance he was going to be asked about him, especially if he hadn't picked him, so maybe the answer should have been framed as a positive rather than a negative. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:11pm
McCarthy has been snarling at the media ever since he took the Irish job. Myself, I think he's disgusted that he only has a term contract no matter how well he does. His devout followers on here just say his attitude and comments are hilarious, and good on our Mick for cutting the media down and putting them back in their box. 

His comments about Arter and Westwood, what purpose did they actually serve but to alienate 2 players who may be needed? Why be so negative? Some of his interviews with Tony O'Donoghue were the exact same tone of the MON era. You could sense the absolute disdain in being questioned, especially on the back of getting a positive result.

It amazes me that so many on here see our Mick as doing no wrong, yet between the performances on the pitch and his woeful attitude with the media, we could easily be looking at MON.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:26pm
We reached such a low with O’Neill that we would have taken anybody. So Mick has come in with he’s doing us a favour attitude. In my opinion he shouldn’t have been near the job. Couple of good posts by diese and Hans.  
FunkyMonkey View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkyMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:28pm
Fingers crossed we get some decent results in the next 2 games 

If we get to the Euros we might have a few young lads pushing on with their clubs this year and might actually have a decent team this time :)
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 10:14pm
A lot of delving into the Mick McCarthy psyche today 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 10:17pm
been cucked by the media a bit. 

I wanted Connolly in the squad but I'd have had more respect for him if he stuck to his guns

be seriously pissed off if Connolly doesn't get much pitch time now having taken him from a big u21 game
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 11:34pm
Anybody who thinks that we have not improved under Mccarthy wasn't in Aarhus a dead rubber game where we failed to create anything or have a shot on goal in 90 minutes.  Under Mccarthy we are well organised, there's a bit of spirit in the camp. Grant it there is room for improvement but in 8 months he has done a decent job. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 11:50pm
Grant it.
Jaysis
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:00am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Anybody who thinks that we have not improved under Mccarthy wasn't in Aarhus a dead rubber game where we failed to create anything or have a shot on goal in 90 minutes.  Under Mccarthy we are well organised, there's a bit of spirit in the camp. Grant it there is room for improvement but in 8 months he has done a decent job. 

I'd agree with all that, and think he has done a very good job so far given the hand he has been dealt. That doesn't mean he should be immune from any criticism though, because this could unravel quick enough. The improvement in real terms has been marginal enough, we seem to be better organised, try to attack a little bit more, but ultimately we have got 2 draws from our main rivals in the group. We've always been able to draw games anywhere under any manager. 

I don't think he should have been as dismissive of Connolly, something that will likely prove to be a foolish statement in the not too distant future (I'm talking more club than Ireland, I don't expect him to play much of a part in these 2 games) and I think he should take more than 3 CB's to a double header. This 'not playing for your club' business is fine if he actually implemented it, but that rule is ignored when it comes to certain players, and it's quite difficult to figure out why from a fans point of view. 

No disrespect to Browne or Cullen, but if Hendrick or Whelan were to be injured or suspended for the Swiss game, I'd prefer to see James McCarthy, likewise as sketchy as Shane Long's form has been, he still has more goals that the entire Irish squad collectively, I do think he should be on the bench as an option. Results will dictate the reaction as ever, but there are certain aspects around selection that he seems determined to make a deliberate rod for his own back and its difficult to understand why. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:06am
Very good post Deise. As I keep saying he can do whatever he wants once we qualify. He has a free shot at it really. Kenny will come in and do things his way and hopefully with this crop coming thorough the future is bright. Could we (dare I say it) be the new Belgium. 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:06am
It’s a results business. Whatever anyone thinks about mick we have got points from losing positions against the top two seeds in the group.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:10am

No disrespect to Browne or Cullen, but if Hendrick or Whelan were to be injured or suspended for the Swiss game, I'd prefer to see James McCarthy, likewise as sketchy as Shane Long's form has been, he still has more goals that the entire Irish squad collectively, I do think he should be on the bench as an option. Results will dictate the reaction as ever, but there are certain aspects around selection that he seems determined to make a deliberate rod for his own back and its difficult to understand why.

For sure. Robbie Brady instead of 'Judgey' too and maybe there is also room for Ciaran Clark to be involved considering our lack of central defensive options.
The only way is up
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:26am

Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I'd agree with all that, and think he has done a very good job so far given the hand he has been dealt. That doesn't mean he should be immune from any criticism though, because this could unravel quick enough. The improvement in real terms has been marginal enough, we seem to be better organised, try to attack a little bit more, but ultimately we have got 2 draws from our main rivals in the group. We've always been able to draw games anywhere under any manager. 

I don't think he should have been as dismissive of Connolly, something that will likely prove to be a foolish statement in the not too distant future (I'm talking more club than Ireland, I don't expect him to play much of a part in these 2 games) and I think he should take more than 3 CB's to a double header. This 'not playing for your club' business is fine if he actually implemented it, but that rule is ignored when it comes to certain players, and it's quite difficult to figure out why from a fans point of view. 

I think anyone reading McCarthy's quotes as dismissive are being led by the nose but the section of the media who have had a sulk on ever since McCarthy got the job instead of Kenny getting it straight away.

He's spoken about his lack of experience which was factually correct. He's previously said he'd consider the young players if they started playing first team football regularly which he has. He's said that he's wary of putting players in for their debut into vital qualifiers which is reasonable enough from a manager who had to take over and go straight into four qualifiers without a friendly to prepare. When he did finally get a friendly, he said that as the U21s had a vital qualifier the same week, he thought their development would be better served playing that qualifier which is fair enough too. 

People reading way too much into things these days. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:29am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Grant it.
Jaysis
Unbelievable!
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:52am
Things are starting to look up for the first time in a while.  Looking at different squads, we have quiet a number of players starting to make an impression again, at brighton Connolly 19 starting and scoring  duffy, 17 year old parrot very close to spurs match day squads, Burnley, Hendrick play and scoring, brady slowly starting to make appearances again after injury and long who plays cup games, Coleman captain at Everton, teenager on the bench for liverpool arguably the best team in the premiership  19 year old striker on the bench for Norwich idah, hourihane play and scoring for villa   Sheffield United 4 irish lads, with Steven's, egan, Robinson and mcgoldrick, with egan and Steven's taking premier league live in their stride, james McCarthy coming back slowly and started yesterday, Bournemouth travers really in good form and could make matchday squads by the end of the year and kilkenny getting cups runs and close enough to the matchday squads, Doherty at wolves starting to find last year form again, Southampton obafemi and long pushing hard for a starting berth with obafemi in particular looking like a very good prospect if he can stay injury free, and finally Clark hopefully starting today at newcastle.  That 20/21 players in and around premier league squads.i know a lot can chance but things look at moment brighter than the last few years
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 104>
  Share Topic