Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 104>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
I disagree, obviously I hope I'm wrong. I think Mick will improve us, but we are a long way short of even the average teams mentioned there.
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:35pm
Interview with McCarthy from September where he talks about what has been up to of late, Ireland plus the Arter and Rice situation

DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If he gets us to the Euros then he will deserve a statue.

He is a very likeable fella, I'd love him to get us there and lay down a foundation for Qatar, I just cannot see the former happening, unless he really starts digging out a few Irish relatives of decent footballers.

The foundation is there for a decent enough side if the right man gets them organized at the very least. We need a kind draw in qualification of course but if we are lucky and get say Switzerland and Czech Republic or Poland and Ukraine we should have a chance. The draw is absolutely key though.

Switzerland?? The same Switzerland that just outplayed and hammered Belgium ya mean?
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:36pm
I think our fortune could depend on how the fixture list is laid out.

An opening game at home to the 4th/5th seeds followed be an away against the 6th seeds would be great for our confidence at the start.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:39pm

I disagree, obviously I hope I'm wrong. I think Mick will improve us, but we are a long way short of even the average teams mentioned there.

Agree its the poorest Irish team I've seen in my lifetime.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

An opening game at home to the 4th/5th seeds followed be an away against the 6th seeds would be great for our confidence at the start.

In 2002 quals it worked out great starting off with aways against the 2 top teams...but I agree...and nice home game against Gibraltar or somebody to start off and get some goals after 4 games would be delightful
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

He is a very likeable fella, I'd love him to get us there and lay down a foundation for Qatar, I just cannot see the former happening, unless he really starts digging out a few Irish relatives of decent footballers.

The foundation is there for a decent enough side if the right man gets them organized at the very least. We need a kind draw in qualification of course but if we are lucky and get say Switzerland and Czech Republic or Poland and Ukraine we should have a chance. The draw is absolutely key though.

Switzerland?? The same Switzerland that just outplayed and hammered Belgium ya mean?

Yip that Switzerland, also the team incredibly fortunate to defeat the North in the play off. They were no great shakes at the World cup either. Their win against Belgium was hugely impressive but more probably a fluke- 2-0 up in 20mins Belgium switched off and never switched back on. Great result though to be fair.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:45pm

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

In 2002 quals it worked out great starting off with aways against the 2 top teams...but I agree...and nice home game against Gibraltar or somebody to start off and get some goals after 4 games would be delightful

Our chances against half decent teams second seed sides, and the lower pot 1 teams could really depend on us building up a nice string of momentum on the way. 

Can anyone recall if Mick had us pressing teams and putting pressure on them in their own half, that type of style built on a solid start could see us beating teams who are better than us - at home especially.

The team to draw in Pot 1 as of now is Poland - they are in a period of transition like ourselves. 

People will scoff at this one, but England would be my second choice from Pot 1. I think due to the nature of a derby game, we could win a point at home that the 2nd / 4th seed teams will not. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:48pm

Yip that Switzerland, also the team incredibly fortunate to defeat the North in the play off. They were no great shakes at the World cup either. Their win against Belgium was hugely impressive but more probably a fluke- 2-0 up in 20mins Belgium switched off and never switched back on. Great result though to be fair.
Switzerland are better than Denmark and Wales...
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:49pm
Disappointed in this appointment but not surprised. At least something to look forward to.

Has to start his first press conference by taking the pressure off the players and not lining up his excuses. We need confidence put back into the team 
Here we go again
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:50pm

Switzerland are better than Denmark and Wales...

Yeah but they are first seeds while Denmark and Wales are second.

They are miles ahead of us, but we'd have a better chance of getting one or two points off them than we would against France or Spain - even one point against the top seed could be difference between finishing ahead of the pot 2 or not.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
We would get nothing off the Swiss, unless the have Denmark's attitude and are happy with a draw.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
I would be happy enough with Mick. We played good football under him and I like the way he does his business. Team always very organised .........even if the balls didn't turn up in SaipanCensored
It's not me it's you:-)
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:57pm
In fairness to MON, he got out to his fair share of LOI games. This is something Mick won't do and Kenny obviously would 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:59pm
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The pool of players has decreased and the players coming from some LOI sides would be of higher quality.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
I would still prefer Kenny to get the job but I can understand the reasoning of the FAI siding with McCarthy over Kenny. The new manager is straight into a qualifying campaign and one thing McCarthy holds an advantage over Kenny is experience of that sort of big occasion. 

McCarthy is a short term fix. I haven't a huge problem with it but still would prefer Kenny coming in and creating long term structures. Had we be going into a year featuring fixtures like the one just gone then it would be an absolute no brainer to hire Kenny but given the magnitude of games I do understand them siding with McCarthy.

Like McCarthy wouldn't be the worst because at least he works with the team and they know what he wants from them in games. You can guarantee all 11 will be going out on the pitch knowing what they're meant to be doing at least. They'll have a game plan which is one thing we have lacked in recent times.

It would be great to see Lee Carsley and/or Steven Reid involved in any new setup. Even one at senior as part of coaching staff and one as u21 manager would be a huge boost for Irish football.

Edited by ShamtheRam - 22 Nov 2018 at 5:13pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:10pm
wenger in
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

In fairness to MON, he got out to his fair share of LOI games. This is something Mick won't do and Kenny obviously would 

Yea agree with this I can see him getting to many. But will probable be a more visible figure at games in England the MON or Keane where. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 104>
  Share Topic