You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mick McCarthy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 104>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 10:42am
Is there any possibility of arranging some friendlies between now and March or is it absolutely out of the question?
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Is there any possibility of arranging some friendlies between now and March or is it absolutely out of the question?

None whatsoever. I still think one week of training with Mick though will better the last 2 years of training with O'Neill
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 10:51am
id be happy with us creating 3-4 good chances in the first few games. hopefully we can take a few. that was the killer under O'Neill for the last while, we didnt even look like creating 1 chance in a game. and we were sh*t at free kicks and corners, one area where we should be decent at.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:04am
If Mick qualifies for the Euros he'll have earned a shot at the World Cup. 

Instead, Kenny would be coming in cold for that World Cup campaign.

It's in Kenny's interest for Mick to fail and get the job in March 2020, or even earlier, rather than after the Euro finals.

It's in Mick's interest for Kenny to do badly with the under-21s given that he obviously doesn't want to give the job up. 

But, realistically, how badly can you do with two or three games when taking over from Noel King?

A Joe Schmidt-Andy Farrell succession this ain't. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

It's in Kenny's interest for Mick to fail and get the job in March 2020, or even earlier, rather than after the Euro finals.

It's in Mick's interest for Kenny to do badly with the under-21s given that he obviously doesn't want to give the job up. 

But, realistically, how badly can you do with two or three games when taking over from Noel King?

lads i really dont think either man is thinking i want the other to fail. its in both their interests for them both to be a success. just for themselves as men.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:57am

I have the polar opposite view to you on McCarthy returning, but in terms of succession planning we are in 100 percent agreement. This is not some aligned strategy. This is quite possibly the furthest thing from an aligned strategy going forward.

McCarthys interview yesterday was hilarious. Basically he has no notions of giving up the Irish job in 2020, and he's hoping that a successful campaign might change minds when that time comes (I think that if Ireland qualified impressively under McCarthy, he will end up staying on).

Kenny is in the better position now of possibly being Ireland senior manager by next September or October if things go badly wrong, which isn't that unlikely. So Kenny would happily see the qualifiers go badly. Succession planning eh LOL

This whole thing was a stunt. A decent sized section of support wanted McCarthy back. Another decent sized section of the support wanted Kenny. Delaney says why not 2 for the price of 1, now a large majority are getting what they wanted (even though in reality it's nothing like that).

I see people comparing it to succession planning in previous international jobs or club jobs. This is nothing like that. It has never happened that a new manager has been announced for a 2 year tenure and on the same day the next manager in waiting also confirmed. It's comical that people are somehow falling for this, but to fair to John Delaney it is absolute genius. I always thought he was an ignorant oaf just bluffing his way day to day surviving, but this stroke is brilliant. He deserves a lot of respect after this I think.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

I have the polar opposite view to you on McCarthy returning, but in terms of succession planning we are in 100 percent agreement. This is not some aligned strategy. This is quite possibly the furthest thing from an aligned strategy going forward.

McCarthys interview yesterday was hilarious. Basically he has no notions of giving up the Irish job in 2020, and he's hoping that a successful campaign might change minds when that time comes (I think that if Ireland qualified impressively under McCarthy, he will end up staying on).

Kenny is in the better position now of possibly being Ireland senior manager by next September or October if things go badly wrong, which isn't that unlikely. So Kenny would happily see the qualifiers go badly. Succession planning eh LOL

This whole thing was a stunt. A decent sized section of support wanted McCarthy back. Another decent sized section of the support wanted Kenny. Delaney says why not 2 for the price of 1, now a large majority are getting what they wanted (even though in reality it's nothing like that).

I see people comparing it to succession planning in previous international jobs or club jobs. This is nothing like that. It has never happened that a new manager has been announced for a 2 year tenure and on the same day the next manager in waiting also confirmed. It's comical that people are somehow falling for this, but to fair to John Delaney it is absolute genius. I always thought he was an ignorant oaf just bluffing his way day to day surviving, but this stroke is brilliant. He deserves a lot of respect after this I think.

As I said
Image result for abortions for some gif
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

lads i really dont think either man is thinking i want the other to fail. its in both their interests for them both to be a success. just for themselves as men.

If Mick McCarthy has a really good campaign, say somehow qualifying out a ridiculously tough group with the likes of France and Germany in it (I know, I know, highly unlikely), he will never be removed from his position as senior manager. He most definitely does not want to go in 2020. He made that clear yesterday. So are you telling me Kenny would like to see Mick have some cracking results, and then a good Euros and watch the public pressure mount to keep McCarthy on?

Some lads here need to get their head out of the sand, or as Nigel Pearson would ask, 'are you an ostrich?'.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:08pm
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1126/1013372-duff-mccarthy-leaving-after-euros-is-crazy-stuff/

LOL

Hopefully more will come out with the common sense view Duff has here, that this succession planning LOL is mad and actually unheard of.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:12pm
The links lads the Jaysus links
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

[He most definitely does not want to go in 2020. He made that clear yesterday.

Where are you getting this idea from? Seen you mention it a few times now. Here's what he said yesterday:

"The reality is that I think that international managers should be given one term. Perhaps they should be given the chance to take it into the next term if they do well. But I knew that wasn't the case so I accepted it and was fine with it.

"And I also think... I've seen it before... look I should have resigned after the World Cup in 2002. I'd had a good World Cup and I'd had five years and I should have gone.

"If I've done well and we've qualified there'll be something else for me down the line," he continued, after an earlier quip about maybe taking a retirement offer from China at that juncture.

"If we do badly and don't qualify then you guys wouldn't want me...nobody would. So it's not such a bad thing. And good luck to Stephen. I looked at his list of achievements - pretty damn good. And I think It would be great for Irish football if he could take over a team that's doing well.

"So I don't see it as added pressure at all. I said already, you get 11 months as a Championship manager. That's pretty much the average tenure. I'm getting two years."

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:17pm
When Mick said that "perhaps Stephen Kenny rips it up with the under-21s and gets a job offer in England", that was a nice way of saying "I want him off the scene and I want the job for the 2022 campaign."

I don't blame him for saying that. I'd feel exactly the same.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:29pm
With no time to train with the squad and it's straight into qualifiers, Mick hasn't a hope of changing things around quickly, and it would be the same with whatever top level manager you could hypothetically pick. 

We need 3 good bits of luck
1. a favourable draw
2. early games are not tough 
3. a miracle 

On the whole Kenny succession thing. Why say he's taking over? 
"Stephen Kenny is an outstanding manager and we are very excited to have him as the under 21s manager. We see Stephen as a future Ireland manager."

Behind the scenes you can tell him the plan is to take over in 2020 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:32pm
Are the dates for the qualifiers out yet? A little more specific than just in March?

Just curious as to how much time he could squeeze into having a training camp.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:36pm
The draw is on this Sunday.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Are the dates for the qualifiers out yet? A little more specific than just in March?

Just curious as to how much time he could squeeze into having a training camp.

MatchdayDates
Qualifying group stageMatchday 121–23 March 2019
Matchday 224–26 March 2019
Matchday 37–8 June 2019
Matchday 410–11 June 2019
Matchday 55–7 September 2019
Matchday 68–10 September 2019
Matchday 710–12 October 2019
Matchday 813–15 October 2019
Matchday 914–16 November 2019
Matchday 1017–19 November 2019
Play-offsSemi-finals26–28 March 2020
Finals29–31 March 2020

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 1:07pm
The fixtures are randomely chosen, is that still correct?
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 1:11pm
We'd better hope that out game is on the 23rd

PL & championship fixtures the week before are 16th and 17th

Meaning squad would assemble on the 18th.

I'd have more confidence if we had 5 days rather then 3 to prepare (less if we have an away game)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 104>
  Share Topic